Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Dungeness Crab Feast?

We've had several impromptu pig-outs where we would buy a couple of
Dungeness crabs, boil chill and then . . . THAT would be dinner.
Any suggestions as to what would be a reasonable accompaniment . . . other
than hot French bread and cold beer (or chilled Viognier, or fume blanc).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 7 Sep 2008 12:50:16 -0500, "Bubba" >
wrote:

>We've had several impromptu pig-outs where we would buy a couple of
>Dungeness crabs, boil chill and then . . . THAT would be dinner.
>Any suggestions as to what would be a reasonable accompaniment . . . other
>than hot French bread and cold beer (or chilled Viognier, or fume blanc).

The most I'd add to that is a tossed green salad.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Sep 7, 10:50*am, "Bubba" > wrote:
> We've had several impromptu pig-outs where we would buy a couple of
> Dungeness crabs, boil chill and then . . . THAT would be dinner.
> Any suggestions as to what would be a reasonable accompaniment . . . other
> than hot French bread and cold beer (or chilled Viognier, or fume blanc).

Hot French bread, hot melted butter, lemon wedges, white wine, perhaps
a tossed salad, and ...? We've enjoyed cold asparagus salad with
crab: -aem

Cold Asparagus Salad, Chinese style

Rinse 1 lb. asparagus, cut or break off ends, slice into
bite-sized lengths on the diagonal. Bring a big pot of water to
boil. Put some ice cubes in a bowl and fill with cold water.

Mix together:
2 TB light soy sauce
1 TB sesame oil
1/4 tsp sugar
1 large (2 small) clove(s) garlic, minced very fine

Drop asparagus into boiling water. Boil one (1) minute. Okay,
up to two minutes if the asparagus is really fat. But do NOT
cook it till soft. Drain, and put immediately into the ice
water. Mix it around to cool as quickly as possible. Drain
well. Put in serving bowl, pour the sauce over, mix. Serve
cold.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Sep 7, 11:23*am, aem > wrote:

> *Cold Asparagus Salad, Chinese style

Since it's not asparagus season in the northern hemisphere I guess I
should note that this does not work well with frozen asparagus -- it's
not crisp enough. -aem
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Bubba" > wrote:

> We've had several impromptu pig-outs where we would buy a couple of
> Dungeness crabs, boil chill and then . . . THAT would be dinner.
> Any suggestions as to what would be a reasonable accompaniment . . . other
> than hot French bread and cold beer (or chilled Viognier, or fume blanc).

Corn on the cob, or a good green salad.

I'd keep it simple and let the crab be the king of the feast. :-)
--
Peace! Om

"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed; if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed." --Mark Twain

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
aem > wrote:

> On Sep 7, 10:50*am, "Bubba" > wrote:
> > We've had several impromptu pig-outs where we would buy a couple of
> > Dungeness crabs, boil chill and then . . . THAT would be dinner.
> > Any suggestions as to what would be a reasonable accompaniment . . . other
> > than hot French bread and cold beer (or chilled Viognier, or fume blanc).

> Hot French bread, hot melted butter, lemon wedges, white wine, perhaps
> a tossed salad, and ...? We've enjoyed cold asparagus salad with
> crab: -aem
>
> Cold Asparagus Salad, Chinese style
>
> Rinse 1 lb. asparagus, cut or break off ends, slice into
> bite-sized lengths on the diagonal. Bring a big pot of water to
> boil. Put some ice cubes in a bowl and fill with cold water.
>
> Mix together:
> 2 TB light soy sauce
> 1 TB sesame oil
> 1/4 tsp sugar
> 1 large (2 small) clove(s) garlic, minced very fine
>
> Drop asparagus into boiling water. Boil one (1) minute. Okay,
> up to two minutes if the asparagus is really fat. But do NOT
> cook it till soft. Drain, and put immediately into the ice
> water. Mix it around to cool as quickly as possible. Drain
> well. Put in serving bowl, pour the sauce over, mix. Serve
> cold.

Nice.
--
Peace! Om

"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed; if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed." --Mark Twain
Posted to rec.food.cooking

aem > wrote:

> On Sep 7, 11:23*am, aem > wrote:
>>
>> *Cold Asparagus Salad, Chinese style
>>

> Since it's not asparagus season in the northern hemisphere I guess I
> should note that this does not work well with frozen asparagus -- it's
> not crisp enough. -aem

Asparagus has been available year round for the last 2-3 years.
CostCo always has it, for example.

South American asparagus season ($1/lb) coincides with dungeness
season in December-February.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Sun, 7 Sep 2008 12:50:16 -0500, "Bubba" >
> wrote:
>
>> We've had several impromptu pig-outs where we would buy a couple of
>> Dungeness crabs, boil chill and then . . . THAT would be dinner.
>> Any suggestions as to what would be a reasonable accompaniment . . . other
>> than hot French bread and cold beer (or chilled Viognier, or fume blanc).
>>

> The most I'd add to that is a tossed green salad.

That is similar to my dinner for tonight. I have a pound of nice plumb
shrimp marinating in a zesty sauce. In a few minutes I am going outside
to grill them on the BBQ and will have them with a green salad, nice
crusty rolls and a bottle of wine.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Bubba" > wrote:

> We've had several impromptu pig-outs where we would buy a couple of
> Dungeness crabs, boil chill and then . . . THAT would be dinner.
> Any suggestions as to what would be a reasonable accompaniment . . . other
> than hot French bread and cold beer (or chilled Viognier, or fume blanc).

Cold beer and toasted garlic bread would be good, but then, I like cold
beer and toasted garlic bread with anything.

Cindy and I are in Seattle, and we can buy Dungeness crabs live all year
long. Our fave prep for these guys is Singapore Chile Crab (sometimes
spelled Chili). We ran across this recipe in the Terrific Pacific
cookbook, and it is wonderful. The crabs are boiled, hacked into large
chunks, and then wok-fried in a sweet-hot sauce. It sounds like
overkill, but the result is worth it. This is the national dish of
Singapore, and we can understand why.

--
Julian Vrieslander
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 7, 3:33*pm, Dave Smith > wrote:

> That is similar to my dinner for tonight. I have a pound of nice plumb
> shrimp marinating in a zesty sauce. In a few minutes I am going outside
> to grill them and will have them with a green salad, nice
> crusty rolls and a bottle of wine.

fixed

That's a grill your using you know.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bubba" > wrote in message
> We've had several impromptu pig-outs where we would buy a couple of
> Dungeness crabs, boil chill and then . . . THAT would be dinner.
> Any suggestions as to what would be a reasonable accompaniment . . . other
> than hot French bread and cold beer (or chilled Viognier, or fume blanc).

Corn on the cob and beer. I'm not a fan of dungeness crabs, but I LOVE snow
crab legs.