Old 28-02-2009, 10:02 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Protein source for breakfast other than eggs, meat, or protein powder

I have been eatign 2 eggs per breakfast usign Egg'sLand best but I am
concern about the cholesterol. I am not going to eat breakfast
suasage, etc. nor protein powder.

Any other item that would give me complete protein? Please don't
say fis. I am talking about typical breakfast item in western
culture.

Old 28-02-2009, 10:10 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"amandaF" ha scritto nel messaggio
I have been eatign 2 eggs per breakfast usign Egg'sLand best but I am
concern about the cholesterol. I am not going to eat breakfast
suasage, etc. nor protein powder.

Any other item that would give me complete protein? Please don't
say fis. I am talking about typical breakfast item in western
culture.

You can eat all the eggs you want. American say this. Look:
http://news.paginemediche.it/it/230/...sso.aspx?c1=25

--
Cheers
Pandora

Old 28-02-2009, 10:31 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
bob bob is offline

On Sat, 28 Feb 2009 14:02:57 -0800 (PST), amandaF
shouted from the highest rooftop:

I have been eatign 2 eggs per breakfast usign Egg'sLand best but I am
concern about the cholesterol. I am not going to eat breakfast
suasage, etc. nor protein powder.

Any other item that would give me complete protein? Please don't
say fis. I am talking about typical breakfast item in western
culture.

By "western culture" I assume you mean "Anglo," because a typical
breakfast in non-English speaking "Western" countries includes foods
that you don't normally see served for breakfast in the US, Canada,
the UK, Ireland, Australia or New Zealand.

For example, a typical breakfast in the Netherlands consists of a
choice of cheeses, sliced meats, bread, cereal and hard boiled eggs.
Leave out the eggs and you've still got your protein.

In Mexico & Central America (also considered parts of the Western
World) I used to eat a breakfast of rice & beans with either eggs or
fish. It's still one of my favourites.

Baked beans on toast is another protein breakfast option.

Also - Don't know if it's 100%, but I was told in a Weight Watchers
meeting that when cereals (carbs) are combined with milk they become a
protein.

--

una cerveza mas por favor ...

Wax-up and drop-in of Surfing's Golden Years: http://www.surfwriter.net
Old 28-02-2009, 10:32 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"amandaF" wrote in message
I have been eatign 2 eggs per breakfast usign Egg'sLand best but I am
concern about the cholesterol. I am not going to eat breakfast
suasage, etc. nor protein powder.

Any other item that would give me complete protein? Please don't
say fis. I am talking about typical breakfast item in western
culture.

Peanut butter on toasted bread makes for a tasty quick breakfast and peanuts
are very high in protein.

Jill

Old 28-02-2009, 10:38 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"amandaF" wrote in message
I have been eatign 2 eggs per breakfast usign Egg'sLand best but I am
concern about the cholesterol. I am not going to eat breakfast
suasage, etc. nor protein powder.

Any other item that would give me complete protein? Please don't
say fis. I am talking about typical breakfast item in western
culture.

I like toast with cold cuts and/or cheese.

Milk
Yoghurt
Cottage cheese

Dimitri

Old 28-02-2009, 10:48 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"amandaF" wrote in message
I have been eatign 2 eggs per breakfast usign Egg'sLand best but I am
concern about the cholesterol. I am not going to eat breakfast
suasage, etc. nor protein powder.

Any other item that would give me complete protein? Please don't
say fis. I am talking about typical breakfast item in western
culture.

Fish (fresh, smoked, pickled) at the morning meal is very typical of western
culture. The chicken egg is actually Asian/Indian.

Old 28-02-2009, 10:50 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 28, 2:02*pm, amandaF wrote:
I have been eatign 2 eggs per breakfast usign Egg'sLand best but I am
concern about the cholesterol. *I am not going to eat breakfast
suasage, etc. nor protein powder.

* Any other item that would give me complete protein? *Please don't
say fis. I am talking about typical breakfast item in western
culture.

I put "tofu breakfast burrito" into Google and got many interesting
looking results. -aem
Old 28-02-2009, 11:00 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

amandaF wrote:

Any other item that would give me complete protein?

Scrambled tofu, colored yellow with turmeric, satisfies
somewhat the need to eat a traditional breakfast.
I usually sautee up some subset of onion, bell pepper,
and mushroom then add the tofu/turmeric mixture. And
I tend to use lots of black pepper and cayenne.

Steve
Old 28-02-2009, 11:11 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 28, 4:02�pm, amandaF wrote:
I have been eatign 2 eggs per breakfast usign Egg'sLand best but I am
concern about the cholesterol. �I am not going to eat breakfast
suasage, etc. nor protein powder.

� Any other item that would give me complete protein? �Please don't
say fis. I am talking about typical breakfast item in western
culture.

Try Peanut butter, most mornings I have an English muffin, toasted,
with Peanut butter and some sort of furit.

Rosie
Old 28-02-2009, 11:35 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

amandaF wrote:

I have been eatign 2 eggs per breakfast usign Egg'sLand best but I am
concern about the cholesterol. I am not going to eat breakfast
suasage, etc. nor protein powder.

Any other item that would give me complete protein? Please don't
say fis. I am talking about typical breakfast item in western
culture.

Egg white is a very complete protein with almost
no cholesterol. The cholesterol is nearly all
in the yolk.

The yolk also contains considerable vitamin B-12.
If you're not taking a B-12 supplement, half a yolk
with two egg whites would give you the B-12 without
being too bad on the cholesterol. Natural B-12 is
readily destroyed by heat, so a runny half-yolk
would be best.

Cardiovascular disease is correlated with cholesterol
consumption, but it's more strongly associated with
saturated fat intake. If you cut the cholesterol
down to zero, your liver would make cholesterol
to cover any shortage.

Old 01-03-2009, 12:00 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
bob wrote:

Also - Don't know if it's 100%, but I was told in a Weight Watchers
meeting that when cereals (carbs) are combined with milk they become a
protein.

Grains are high in protein. If you just eat one kind of grain, and no
other protein, you will develop a protein deficiency, since the protein
in one kind of grain is not complete. If you eat rice, beans and corn;
that is a complete protein. By adding milk to your cereal, that makes
the combination a complete protein, as the milk supplies what the cereal
is low in.

Note that adding milk doesn't change the cereal, so all the carbs are
still there. Also note that milk is high in carbs (sugar).

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Old 01-03-2009, 12:02 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"amandaF" wrote in message
I have been eatign 2 eggs per breakfast usign Egg'sLand best but I am
concern about the cholesterol. I am not going to eat breakfast
suasage, etc. nor protein powder.

Any other item that would give me complete protein? Please don't
say fis. I am talking about typical breakfast item in western
culture.

Buckwheat is a good non-animal source of complete protein, as well as quinoa
and spirulina. I'm sure you can google plenty of recipes for buckwheat
pancakes. When it comes to "typical breakfast items in western culture",
why limit yourself to what other people deem typical? If you like
something, eat it! Who cares if it's not a "breakfast" food? Fish is the
same nutritionally whether you eat it at 8am or 6pm.

Jinx

Old 01-03-2009, 12:04 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 28, 5:02*pm, amandaF wrote:
I have been eatign 2 eggs per breakfast usign Egg'sLand best but I am
concern about the cholesterol. *I am not going to eat breakfast
suasage, etc. nor protein powder.

* Any other item that would give me complete protein? *Please don't
say fis. I am talking about typical breakfast item in western
culture.

Yogurt, cereal and milk, cheese grits, pancakes, waffles etc.

In New England, cod cakes and beans are a standard part of breakfast.

Hummus and pita make a nice start to the day, make it as mild or spicy
as you like.

You could also switch to the cholesterol-free egg products in the
dairy section of your grocery, sometimes found in the freezer
section. You'll be relegated to omelets or scrambled, no more over
easy or sunny side up, but you'll have your eggy goodness still.

Bagels, cream cheese and lox is considered a breakfast food.

If you like Asian foods, pho is a Vietnamese soup, usually with beef
broth, vegetables, and bits of various meats.

maxine in ri
Old 01-03-2009, 12:05 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
"Pandora" wrote:

[snipped]

Any other item that would give me complete protein? Please don't
say fis. I am talking about typical breakfast item in western
culture.

???

Kippers, a fish preparation, is a common breakfast in Western cultu

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kipper

You can eat all the eggs you want. American say this. Look:
http://news.paginemediche.it/it/230/...tail_103929_uo
va-contrordine-si-possono-mangiare-spesso.aspx?c1=25

There is still debate about how many eggs people should eat, especially
those who are at risk. Eggs are very high in saturated fat, which some
have linked to high blood cholesterol.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Old 01-03-2009, 12:24 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Dan Abel wrote:

If you just eat one kind of grain, and no
other protein, you will develop a protein deficiency, since the
protein in one kind of grain is not complete.

Agreed. Your diet will be lysine-deficient.

If you eat rice, beans and corn; that is a complete protein.
By adding milk to your cereal, that makes the combination a
complete protein, as the milk supplies what the cereal is low in.

True, but the ratio of milk required is pretty high. 100 grams
of whole-wheat cereal has 13.7 grams of protein, of which
..38 grams is lysine. 100 grams of milk has 3.4 grams of
protein of which .25 grams is lysine. For protein to be
lysine-complete there must be at least 58 milligrams of lysine
per gram of protein. Going through the math you need milk to cereal
in a ratio greater than nine. i.e. a 2-ounce serving of
cereal requires over a pint of milk to be lysine-complete.

Steve