Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Pie crust shrinkage

Everytime i make a pie crust, i get a bit of shrinkage. It shrinks
maybe 1/4 to 1/2 an inch and i'm not sure how to fix it. It's never
posed a real problem, but it is a bit annoying.

i use a pretty normal crust recipe, i think, using some shortening and
them the rest butter.

So any suggestions on how to keep the crust from shrinking?

thx
-goro-
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 2, 10:54*am, Goro > wrote:
> Everytime i make a pie crust, i get a bit of shrinkage. *It shrinks
> maybe 1/4 to 1/2 an inch and i'm not sure how to fix it. *It's never
> posed a real problem, but it is a bit annoying.
>
> i use a pretty normal crust recipe, i think, using some shortening and
> them the rest butter.
>
> So any suggestions on how to keep the crust from shrinking?
>
> thx
> -goro-

Do you pre-bake the crust before filling it? If so, maybe use pie
weights or dried beans overe foil lining when doing that.

If not, maybe just give yourself extra height when shaping your crust,
so any shrinkage won't get too low.

Sorry you're having trouble ,shrunken crusts are annoying - makes the
filling run over.

Kris
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri 02 Jan 2009 08:54:08a, Goro told us...

> Everytime i make a pie crust, i get a bit of shrinkage. It shrinks
> maybe 1/4 to 1/2 an inch and i'm not sure how to fix it. It's never
> posed a real problem, but it is a bit annoying.
>
> i use a pretty normal crust recipe, i think, using some shortening and
> them the rest butter.
>
> So any suggestions on how to keep the crust from shrinking?
>
> thx
> -goro-

I am assuming that you're referring to a single baked crust, as this is not
so prevalent in double-crust pies.

Having said that, a couple of things are important. Never make any attempt
to stretch the dough into shape, as it will want to shrink back. Chill the
dough in a disk shape prior to rolling out. Allow the dough to rest in the
pan before final fitting. Make sure, again, not to stretch the dough in
place in the pan. Make a good edge around the top of the pan pressing
firmly in place.

HTH

--
Wayne Boatwright
Date: Friday, 01(I)/02(II)/09(MMIX)
Countdown till Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
2wks 2dys 14hrs 54mins
The buck doesn't even slow down here!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goro wrote:
> Everytime i make a pie crust, i get a bit of shrinkage. It shrinks
> maybe 1/4 to 1/2 an inch and i'm not sure how to fix it. It's never
> posed a real problem, but it is a bit annoying.
>
> i use a pretty normal crust recipe, i think, using some shortening and
> them the rest butter.
>
> So any suggestions on how to keep the crust from shrinking?

Are you talking about double crust pies or pie shells?
I don't have a problem with double crust pies shrinking. Blind baking
pie shells is another matter. They tend to rise in the middle, which
will pull the edges in. Use a fork to poke some holes in the bottom and
use something to weight it down. You can get special pie weights or you
can just use some beans. Lay a piece of foil over the bottom of the pie
shell and put the weights or beans on top.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goro wrote:
> Everytime i make a pie crust, i get a bit of shrinkage. It shrinks
> maybe 1/4 to 1/2 an inch and i'm not sure how to fix it. It's never
> posed a real problem, but it is a bit annoying.
>
> i use a pretty normal crust recipe, i think, using some shortening and
> them the rest butter.
>
> So any suggestions on how to keep the crust from shrinking?
>
> thx
> -goro-

Wayne has pretty much covered it already. When I make pie crust, I mix
it up and then put the ball of dough in a plastic bag in the fridge to
rest for a while. When it's good and cold, I roll it out a little
oversized and press it into the pan, and (this is important) instead of
stretching the dough to fill the corners, I push the sides down to get a
little slack.

If you think you kneaded and handled the dough too much, freeze the
crust before you bake it. That seems to make the gluten relax and be
less tough.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri 02 Jan 2009 09:50:48a, zxcvbob told us...

> Goro wrote:
>> Everytime i make a pie crust, i get a bit of shrinkage. It shrinks
>> maybe 1/4 to 1/2 an inch and i'm not sure how to fix it. It's never
>> posed a real problem, but it is a bit annoying.
>>
>> i use a pretty normal crust recipe, i think, using some shortening and
>> them the rest butter.
>>
>> So any suggestions on how to keep the crust from shrinking?
>>
>> thx
>> -goro-

> Wayne has pretty much covered it already. When I make pie crust, I mix
> it up and then put the ball of dough in a plastic bag in the fridge to
> rest for a while. When it's good and cold, I roll it out a little
> oversized and press it into the pan, and (this is important) instead of
> stretching the dough to fill the corners, I push the sides down to get a
> little slack.

Good description, too, Bob.

> If you think you kneaded and handled the dough too much, freeze the
> crust before you bake it. That seems to make the gluten relax and be
> less tough.

I usually do freeze the pastry in the pie pan before baking. Good tip.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Date: Friday, 01(I)/02(II)/09(MMIX)
Countdown till Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
2wks 2dys 13hrs 45mins
Dangerous exercise: Jumping to conclusions.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goro wrote:
> Everytime i make a pie crust, i get a bit of shrinkage. It shrinks
> maybe 1/4 to 1/2 an inch and i'm not sure how to fix it. It's never
> posed a real problem, but it is a bit annoying.
>
> i use a pretty normal crust recipe, i think, using some shortening and
> them the rest butter.
>
> So any suggestions on how to keep the crust from shrinking?
>
> thx
> -goro-

Don't overwork the dough. There's no need to knead it and form
more gluten bonds. You want flaky, not stretchy. You're not making bread.

Roll it out larger than you need, place it in the pan and DON'T
stretch it when fitting it into the pan. Stretching will cause it to
shrink when it's baked.

The old advice which says "don't overwork the dough" is still spot-on.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> I am assuming that you're referring to a single baked crust, as this is not
> so prevalent in double-crust pies.
>
> Having said that, a couple of things are important. Never make any attempt
> to stretch the dough into shape, as it will want to shrink back. Chill the
> dough in a disk shape prior to rolling out. Allow the dough to rest in the
> pan before final fitting. Make sure, again, not to stretch the dough in
> place in the pan. Make a good edge around the top of the pan pressing
> firmly in place.

I never have any trouble with pie shells where the dough has not had a
chance to rest before baking. I usually make up the dough, press it
into disks, wrap them in waxed paper or plastic wrap and stick them into
the fridge for 10-15 minutes. I preheat the oven while I roll out the
dough, put in into the pans and pop them immediately into the oven.

However...... in order to prevent the bottoms from rising up off the
bottom of the pan, I poke holes into the bottom and I use pie weights
sitting on a piece of parchment paper or foil.

I do not stretch the dough out. I lay the pastry over the pie pan and
then.... this may be hard to explain..... I gather slip my hands under
the sheet of dough and lift up and push in gently do that the dough shet
falls into place. If there are sections where the dough is not sitting
against the pan I use one hand to lift up the outer edge and the other
hand to push the slack bits into place, more a matter of guiding it into
place than forcing or stretching it.

The next step is to slip a nice sharp paring knife around the edge to
trim off the excess dough and then to use thumbs and fingers to push the
edges in and crimp them in a in a sort of continuous S shape.

BTW........ I tried out my new rolling pin that I got from Mrs. Claus
for Christmas. It is quite long and slightly tapered toward both ends. I
impressed myself. I had enough leftover (lard) pie pastry from Christmas
Eve that I was able to roll out for a pie shell to be blind baked. I
was afraid that it might be a little skimpy, having already made a
double crust meat pie with the rest of it. I had no trouble rolling it
out to a near perfect circle to fit a pie pan and barely enough left
over to trim.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:

> If you think you kneaded and handled the dough too much, freeze the
> crust before you bake it. That seems to make the gluten relax and be
> less tough.

I don't know if overworking the dough has as much to do with gluten as
it does with mixing up the shortening too finely into the flour. When
you manipulate it too much the shortening gets wetter and soaks up
flour. You want to have little chunks of the fat to melt and fry the
dough to give it that nice flakiness.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri 02 Jan 2009 12:50:11p, Dave Smith told us...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
>> I am assuming that you're referring to a single baked crust, as this is
>> not so prevalent in double-crust pies.
>>
>> Having said that, a couple of things are important. Never make any
>> attempt to stretch the dough into shape, as it will want to shrink
>> back. Chill the dough in a disk shape prior to rolling out. Allow the
>> dough to rest in the pan before final fitting. Make sure, again, not
>> to stretch the dough in place in the pan. Make a good edge around the
>> top of the pan pressing firmly in place.

> I never have any trouble with pie shells where the dough has not had a
> chance to rest before baking. I usually make up the dough, press it
> into disks, wrap them in waxed paper or plastic wrap and stick them into
> the fridge for 10-15 minutes. I preheat the oven while I roll out the
> dough, put in into the pans and pop them immediately into the oven.
>
> However...... in order to prevent the bottoms from rising up off the
> bottom of the pan, I poke holes into the bottom and I use pie weights
> sitting on a piece of parchment paper or foil.
>
> I do not stretch the dough out. I lay the pastry over the pie pan and
> then.... this may be hard to explain..... I gather slip my hands under
> the sheet of dough and lift up and push in gently do that the dough shet
> falls into place. If there are sections where the dough is not sitting
> against the pan I use one hand to lift up the outer edge and the other
> hand to push the slack bits into place, more a matter of guiding it into
> place than forcing or stretching it.
>
> The next step is to slip a nice sharp paring knife around the edge to
> trim off the excess dough and then to use thumbs and fingers to push the
> edges in and crimp them in a in a sort of continuous S shape.

You've just described exactly what I do. :-)

> BTW........ I tried out my new rolling pin that I got from Mrs. Claus
> for Christmas. It is quite long and slightly tapered toward both ends. I
> impressed myself. I had enough leftover (lard) pie pastry from Christmas
> Eve that I was able to roll out for a pie shell to be blind baked. I
> was afraid that it might be a little skimpy, having already made a
> double crust meat pie with the rest of it. I had no trouble rolling it
> out to a near perfect circle to fit a pie pan and barely enough left
> over to trim.

Isn't that a French style rolling pin? I've thought I might buy one, but I
have an extra long traditional style pin made of birdseye maple that I
inherited from my mother. I probably don't need another one.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Date: Friday, 01(I)/02(II)/09(MMIX)
Countdown till Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
2wks 2dys 11hrs 5mins
Why are you wasting time reading taglines?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

l, not -l wrote:

> Replace the butter with butter flavored shortening; real butter contains
> 15-18% water. When you bake the crust, the water evaporates; shortening is
> pretty much nothing but fat and won't evaporate.

That doesn't make a heck of a lot of sense to me. I appreciate that you
have to compensate for the liquid content of butter, margarine,
vegetable shortening or lard, but you add liquid to the dough mix. For
instant, the (Crisco) recipe that I use calls for 1 cup of shortening to
two cups of flour and then an egg, 2 Tblsp. water and 1 Tblsp vinegar.
That's 3 Tbsp. of liquid, plus the moisture in the egg.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

>> BTW........ I tried out my new rolling pin that I got from Mrs. Claus
>> for Christmas. It is quite long and slightly tapered toward both ends. I
>> impressed myself. I had enough leftover (lard) pie pastry from Christmas
>> Eve that I was able to roll out for a pie shell to be blind baked. I
>> was afraid that it might be a little skimpy, having already made a
>> double crust meat pie with the rest of it. I had no trouble rolling it
>> out to a near perfect circle to fit a pie pan and barely enough left
>> over to trim.
>>

> Isn't that a French style rolling pin? I've thought I might buy one, but I
> have an extra long traditional style pin made of birdseye maple that I
> inherited from my mother. I probably don't need another one.

Son of a gun.... there is a name for it. Yes, it does appear to be a
French style rolling pin. This one is 18"long, 2" in diameter at the
middle and 1-1/2" at the ends. At first I thought it was kind of a
useless gift since I already had my MiL's old wooden rolling pin and was
perfectly happy with it. I am not sure that I would bother to replace a
serviceable rolling pin with one of these, but if someone needs one I
would recommend it. I was very happy with it when I used it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 2, 9:13*am, Wayne Boatwright >
wrote:
> On Fri 02 Jan 2009 08:54:08a, Goro told us...
>
> > Everytime i make a pie crust, i get a bit of shrinkage. *It shrinks
> > maybe 1/4 to 1/2 an inch and i'm not sure how to fix it. *It's never
> > posed a real problem, but it is a bit annoying.

> > i use a pretty normal crust recipe, i think, using some shortening and
> > them the rest butter.

> > So any suggestions on how to keep the crust from shrinking?

> > thx
> > -goro-

> I am assuming that you're referring to a single baked crust, as this is not
> so prevalent in double-crust pies.
>
> Having said that, a couple of things are important. *Never make any attempt
> to stretch the dough into shape, as it will want to shrink back. *Chill the
> dough in a disk shape prior to rolling out. *Allow the dough to rest in the
> pan before final fitting. *Make sure, again, not to stretch the dough in
> place in the pan. *Make a good edge around the top of the pan pressing
> firmly in place.
>
> HTH

Thanks. my process is :
1. form the dough into a disc
2. Chill in fridge for 20min.
3. Roll out and put on 9" deep dish pie plate
4. trim excess to about 1/2" over hang
5. tuck extra underneath and flute.
6. chill in fridge for 40min
7. put in freezer for 20min.
8. put foil over the top and put in ceramic pie weights
9. put into 375degree preheated oven for 25+ min

I still get that shrinkage where the edge of the crust goes from the
outer edge of the piepan to the inner one.

Of what you said, the one i'm not really doing is really making a good
edge on the top. I'll try that next.

thx
-goro-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 2, 12:16*pm, Gloria P > wrote:
> Goro wrote:
> > Everytime i make a pie crust, i get a bit of shrinkage. *It shrinks
> > maybe 1/4 to 1/2 an inch and i'm not sure how to fix it. *It's never
> > posed a real problem, but it is a bit annoying.

> > i use a pretty normal crust recipe, i think, using some shortening and
> > them the rest butter.

> > So any suggestions on how to keep the crust from shrinking?

> > thx
> > -goro-

> Don't overwork the dough. There's no need to knead it and form
> more gluten bonds. *You want flaky, not stretchy. *You're not making bread.
>
> Roll it out larger than you need, place it in the pan and DON'T
> stretch it when fitting it into the pan. *Stretching will cause it to
> shrink when it's baked.
>
> The old advice which says "don't overwork the dough" is still spot-on.
>
> gloria p

Thanks. i tried not to, but maybe i have been overworkign the dough.
I'll pay extra close attention to it the next time.

btw, have you seen the Cooks Illustrated recommendation to use cold
water + vodka as it supposedly inhibits the gluten?

http://www.cooksillustrated.com/reci...sp?docid=11572

"Vodka is essential to the texture of the crust and imparts no flavor—
do not substitute. This dough will be moister and more supple than
most standard pie doughs and will require more flour to roll out (up
to 1/4 cup)."

thx
-goro-
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> >
> > Isn't that a French style rolling pin? I've thought I might buy one, but I
> > have an extra long traditional style pin made of birdseye maple that I
> > inherited from my mother. I probably don't need another one.

> Son of a gun.... there is a name for it. Yes, it does appear to be a
> French style rolling pin. This one is 18"long, 2" in diameter at the
> middle and 1-1/2" at the ends. At first I thought it was kind of a
> useless gift since I already had my MiL's old wooden rolling pin and was
> perfectly happy with it. I am not sure that I would bother to replace a
> serviceable rolling pin with one of these, but if someone needs one I
> would recommend it. I was very happy with it when I used it.

As I recall, Julia Child always used one of those.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri 02 Jan 2009 01:32:57p, Goro told us...

> On Jan 2, 9:13*am, Wayne Boatwright >
> wrote:
>> On Fri 02 Jan 2009 08:54:08a, Goro told us...
>>
>> > Everytime i make a pie crust, i get a bit of shrinkage. *It shrinks
>> > maybe 1/4 to 1/2 an inch and i'm not sure how to fix it. *It's never
>> > posed a real problem, but it is a bit annoying.

>> > i use a pretty normal crust recipe, i think, using some shortening and
>> > them the rest butter.

>> > So any suggestions on how to keep the crust from shrinking?

>> > thx
>> > -goro-

>> I am assuming that you're referring to a single baked crust, as this is

> ot
>> so prevalent in double-crust pies.
>>
>> Having said that, a couple of things are important. *Never make any att

> empt
>> to stretch the dough into shape, as it will want to shrink back. *Chill

> the
>> dough in a disk shape prior to rolling out. *Allow the dough to rest in

> the
>> pan before final fitting. *Make sure, again, not to stretch the dough i

>> place in the pan. *Make a good edge around the top of the pan pressing
>> firmly in place.
>>
>> HTH

> Thanks. my process is :
> 1. form the dough into a disc
> 2. Chill in fridge for 20min.
> 3. Roll out and put on 9" deep dish pie plate
> 4. trim excess to about 1/2" over hang
> 5. tuck extra underneath and flute.
> 6. chill in fridge for 40min
> 7. put in freezer for 20min.
> 8. put foil over the top and put in ceramic pie weights
> 9. put into 375degree preheated oven for 25+ min
>
> I still get that shrinkage where the edge of the crust goes from the
> outer edge of the piepan to the inner one.
>
> Of what you said, the one i'm not really doing is really making a good
> edge on the top. I'll try that next.
>
> thx
> -goro-

Sounds like you're basically doing it right, goro, and there may always be
a very slight shrinkage, but not as much as you mentioned. When you
perfect your edge, make sure it is pressed very tightly against the pie
pan. Also make sure that the foil is pressed tightly against the sides of
the pastry, including the top edge.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Date: Friday, 01(I)/02(II)/09(MMIX)
Countdown till Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
2wks 2dys 10hrs 15mins
'Ethel the Aardvark goes Quantity Surveying'.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri 02 Jan 2009 01:44:24p, Mark Thorson told us...

> Dave Smith wrote:
>>
>> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> >
>> > Isn't that a French style rolling pin? I've thought I might buy one,
>> > but I have an extra long traditional style pin made of birdseye maple
>> > that I inherited from my mother. I probably don't need another one.

>> Son of a gun.... there is a name for it. Yes, it does appear to be a
>> French style rolling pin. This one is 18"long, 2" in diameter at the
>> middle and 1-1/2" at the ends. At first I thought it was kind of a
>> useless gift since I already had my MiL's old wooden rolling pin and
>> was perfectly happy with it. I am not sure that I would bother to
>> replace a serviceable rolling pin with one of these, but if someone
>> needs one I would recommend it. I was very happy with it when I used
>> it.

> As I recall, Julia Child always used one of those.

You recall correctly.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Date: Friday, 01(I)/02(II)/09(MMIX)
Countdown till Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
2wks 2dys 9hrs 57mins
Cat Game #1: Hah - made you look!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson wrote:
> Dave Smith wrote:
>> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>> Isn't that a French style rolling pin? I've thought I might buy one, but I
>>> have an extra long traditional style pin made of birdseye maple that I
>>> inherited from my mother. I probably don't need another one.

>> Son of a gun.... there is a name for it. Yes, it does appear to be a
>> French style rolling pin. This one is 18"long, 2" in diameter at the
>> middle and 1-1/2" at the ends. At first I thought it was kind of a
>> useless gift since I already had my MiL's old wooden rolling pin and was
>> perfectly happy with it. I am not sure that I would bother to replace a
>> serviceable rolling pin with one of these, but if someone needs one I
>> would recommend it. I was very happy with it when I used it.

> As I recall, Julia Child always used one of those.

I keep a 22 ounce "longneck" beer bottle for use as a rolling pin. (a
skinny wine bottle with straight sides would also work) I think Julia
would approve.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri 02 Jan 2009 02:06:13p, zxcvbob told us...

> Mark Thorson wrote:
>> Dave Smith wrote:
>>> Son of a gun.... there is a name for it. Yes, it does appear to be a
>>> French style rolling pin. This one is 18"long, 2" in diameter at the
>>> middle and 1-1/2" at the ends. At first I thought it was kind of a
>>> useless gift since I already had my MiL's old wooden rolling pin and
>>> was perfectly happy with it. I am not sure that I would bother to
>>> replace a serviceable rolling pin with one of these, but if someone
>>> needs one I would recommend it. I was very happy with it when I used
>>> it.

>> As I recall, Julia Child always used one of those.

> I keep a 22 ounce "longneck" beer bottle for use as a rolling pin. (a
> skinny wine bottle with straight sides would also work) I think Julia
> would approve.
>
> Bob

Plus, you could fill them with ice water and put a cork in them, if needed.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Date: Friday, 01(I)/02(II)/09(MMIX)
Countdown till Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
2wks 2dys 9hrs 53mins
Mars needs women.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

The message

from Goro > contains these words:

> Thanks. my process is :
> 1. form the dough into a disc
> 2. Chill in fridge for 20min.
> 3. Roll out and put on 9" deep dish pie plate
> 4. trim excess to about 1/2" over hang
> 5. tuck extra underneath and flute.

> 6. chill in fridge for 40min
> 7. put in freezer for 20min.

why 6 and 7?

I'd say its drying out too much before you cook it.

Just make it, roll it , plate it. cook it. You''ll probably get a
better result.

Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

l, not -l wrote:
> On 2-Jan-2009, Dave Smith > wrote:
>
>> l, not -l wrote:
>>
>>> Replace the butter with butter flavored shortening; real butter contains
>>> 15-18% water. When you bake the crust, the water evaporates; shortening
>>> is
>>> pretty much nothing but fat and won't evaporate.

>> That doesn't make a heck of a lot of sense to me. I appreciate that you
>> have to compensate for the liquid content of butter, margarine,
>> vegetable shortening or lard, but you add liquid to the dough mix. For
>> instant, the (Crisco) recipe that I use calls for 1 cup of shortening to
>> two cups of flour and then an egg, 2 Tblsp. water and 1 Tblsp vinegar.
>> That's 3 Tbsp. of liquid, plus the moisture in the egg.

> Did you use less water when you substituted butter for Crisco? If not, by
> using butter, you increased the liquid beyond what the recipe calls for.
> The flour can take on only so much liquid. All I know for sure is, butter
> has a lot more water in it than Crisco; if I were to substitute one for the
> other, I'd adjust the amount of other water introduced to adjust for that
> difference.

I believe that I mentioned compensating for the moisture in butter, but
I was questioning that the moisture in butter caused the shrinkage
problem since most pie dough recipes call for water.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 2 Jan 2009 07:54:08 -0800 (PST), Goro >
wrote:

>Everytime i make a pie crust, i get a bit of shrinkage. It shrinks
>maybe 1/4 to 1/2 an inch and i'm not sure how to fix it. It's never
>posed a real problem, but it is a bit annoying.
>
>i use a pretty normal crust recipe, i think, using some shortening and
>them the rest butter.
>
>So any suggestions on how to keep the crust from shrinking?

Let the dough rest for a few minutes before you roll it out... then
when it's laid in the pie dish, let it rest there and get it's
shrinking largely over with before you trim off the edges. Dough
shrinks because of the gluten in the flour...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Baraclough wrote:

>> Thanks. my process is :
>> 1. form the dough into a disc
>> 2. Chill in fridge for 20min.
>> 3. Roll out and put on 9" deep dish pie plate
>> 4. trim excess to about 1/2" over hang
>> 5. tuck extra underneath and flute.

>> 6. chill in fridge for 40min
>> 7. put in freezer for 20min.

> why 6 and 7?
>
> I'd say its drying out too much before you cook it.
>
> Just make it, roll it , plate it. cook it. You''ll probably get a
> better result.

I don't understand those two steps either. I press the dough into disks,
wrap them up and cool them for 10-15 minutes, then roll them out, put
them in a pan and blind bake them immediately with weights in the
bottom. I don't have a problem with the pie shells shrinking. And I make
pastry that always gets rave reviews.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 2, 11:58*am, Wayne Boatwright >
wrote:
> [...]

> have an extra long traditional style pin made of birdseye maple that I
> inherited from my mother. *I probably don't need another one.
>
> --
> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Wayne Boatwright * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
> * * * * * * * (correct the spelling of "geemail" to reply) * * * * * * *
> ************************************************** **********************
> Date: * * * * * * Friday, 01(I)/02(II)/09(MMIX)
> ************************************************** **********************
> * * * * * * * *Countdown till Martin Luther King, Jr. Day * * * * * * *
> * * * * * * * * * * * * *2wks 2dys 11hrs 5mins * * * * * * * * * * * * *
> ************************************************** **********************
> * * * * * * * *Why are you wasting time reading taglines? * * * * * * *

My usual pin is a dowel I bought at the lumber store. Found the
biggest diameter one they had, cut into desired lengths and sanded to
remove rough edges...I also have a short one that's about 8" for the
tricky moves
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 2, 12:36*pm, Goro > wrote:
> On Jan 2, 12:16*pm, Gloria P > wrote:
>

> > Goro wrote:
> > > Everytime i make a pie crust, i get a bit of shrinkage. *It shrinks
> > > maybe 1/4 to 1/2 an inch and i'm not sure how to fix it. *It's never
> > > posed a real problem, but it is a bit annoying.

> > > i use a pretty normal crust recipe, i think, using some shortening and
> > > them the rest butter.

> > > So any suggestions on how to keep the crust from shrinking?

> > > thx
> > > -goro-

> > Don't overwork the dough. There's no need to knead it and form
> > more gluten bonds. *You want flaky, not stretchy. *You're not making bread.

> > Roll it out larger than you need, place it in the pan and DON'T
> > stretch it when fitting it into the pan. *Stretching will cause it to
> > shrink when it's baked.

> > The old advice which says "don't overwork the dough" is still spot-on.

> > gloria p

> Thanks. *i tried not to, but maybe i have been overworkign the dough.
> I'll pay extra close attention to it the next time.
>
> btw, have you seen the Cooks Illustrated recommendation to use cold
> water + vodka as it supposedly inhibits the gluten?
>
> http://www.cooksillustrated.com/reci...sp?docid=11572
>
> "Vodka is essential to the texture of the crust and imparts no flavor—
> do not substitute. This dough will be moister and more supple than
> most standard pie doughs and will require more flour to roll out (up
> to 1/4 cup)."
>
> thx
> -goro-- Hide quoted text -

Vinegar does the same thing...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri 02 Jan 2009 05:20:16p, merryb told us...

************************************************** **********************-

> My usual pin is a dowel I bought at the lumber store. Found the
> biggest diameter one they had, cut into desired lengths and sanded to
> remove rough edges...I also have a short one that's about 8" for the
> tricky moves

Sounds like a good idea, Merry.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Date: Friday, 01(I)/02(II)/09(MMIX)
Countdown till Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
2wks 2dys 6hrs 12mins
Why get real when artificial is so much easier to keep clean?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 02 Jan 2009 21:07:56 GMT, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> On Fri 02 Jan 2009 02:06:13p, zxcvbob told us...
>

>> I keep a 22 ounce "longneck" beer bottle for use as a rolling pin. (a
>> skinny wine bottle with straight sides would also work) I think Julia
>> would approve.
>>
>> Bob
>>

> Plus, you could fill them with ice water and put a cork in them, if needed.

good thinking, wayne.

your pal,
blake

Pie crust notbob General Cooking 11 14-11-2010 04:31 PM
Pie crust Andy Petro General Cooking 71 13-06-2010 08:22 PM
Study Says Going Veggie can Lead to Brain Shrinkage Dragonblaze Vegan 38 07-10-2008 06:22 PM
Braim Shrinkage I Luv Carrots Vegan 1 05-10-2008 08:48 PM
Crazy Crust Pizza Crust Recipes (moderated) 0 24-11-2003 07:22 PM