Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Pie crust shrinkage

On Fri 02 Jan 2009 08:54:08a, Goro told us...

> Everytime i make a pie crust, i get a bit of shrinkage. It shrinks
> maybe 1/4 to 1/2 an inch and i'm not sure how to fix it. It's never
> posed a real problem, but it is a bit annoying.
>
> i use a pretty normal crust recipe, i think, using some shortening and
> them the rest butter.
>
> So any suggestions on how to keep the crust from shrinking?
>
> thx
> -goro-

I am assuming that you're referring to a single baked crust, as this is not
so prevalent in double-crust pies.

Having said that, a couple of things are important. Never make any attempt
to stretch the dough into shape, as it will want to shrink back. Chill the
dough in a disk shape prior to rolling out. Allow the dough to rest in the
pan before final fitting. Make sure, again, not to stretch the dough in
place in the pan. Make a good edge around the top of the pan pressing
firmly in place.

HTH

--
Wayne Boatwright
Date: Friday, 01(I)/02(II)/09(MMIX)
Countdown till Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
2wks 2dys 14hrs 54mins
The buck doesn't even slow down here!