Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Pie crust shrinkage

l, not -l wrote:

> Replace the butter with butter flavored shortening; real butter contains
> 15-18% water. When you bake the crust, the water evaporates; shortening is
> pretty much nothing but fat and won't evaporate.

That doesn't make a heck of a lot of sense to me. I appreciate that you
have to compensate for the liquid content of butter, margarine,
vegetable shortening or lard, but you add liquid to the dough mix. For
instant, the (Crisco) recipe that I use calls for 1 cup of shortening to
two cups of flour and then an egg, 2 Tblsp. water and 1 Tblsp vinegar.
That's 3 Tbsp. of liquid, plus the moisture in the egg.