Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Pie crust shrinkage

Goro wrote:
> Everytime i make a pie crust, i get a bit of shrinkage. It shrinks
> maybe 1/4 to 1/2 an inch and i'm not sure how to fix it. It's never
> posed a real problem, but it is a bit annoying.
>
> i use a pretty normal crust recipe, i think, using some shortening and
> them the rest butter.
>
> So any suggestions on how to keep the crust from shrinking?

Are you talking about double crust pies or pie shells?
I don't have a problem with double crust pies shrinking. Blind baking
pie shells is another matter. They tend to rise in the middle, which
will pull the edges in. Use a fork to poke some holes in the bottom and
use something to weight it down. You can get special pie weights or you
can just use some beans. Lay a piece of foil over the bottom of the pie
shell and put the weights or beans on top.