Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Pie crust shrinkage

On Fri 02 Jan 2009 12:50:11p, Dave Smith told us...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
>> I am assuming that you're referring to a single baked crust, as this is
>> not so prevalent in double-crust pies.
>>
>> Having said that, a couple of things are important. Never make any
>> attempt to stretch the dough into shape, as it will want to shrink
>> back. Chill the dough in a disk shape prior to rolling out. Allow the
>> dough to rest in the pan before final fitting. Make sure, again, not
>> to stretch the dough in place in the pan. Make a good edge around the
>> top of the pan pressing firmly in place.

> I never have any trouble with pie shells where the dough has not had a
> chance to rest before baking. I usually make up the dough, press it
> into disks, wrap them in waxed paper or plastic wrap and stick them into
> the fridge for 10-15 minutes. I preheat the oven while I roll out the
> dough, put in into the pans and pop them immediately into the oven.
>
> However...... in order to prevent the bottoms from rising up off the
> bottom of the pan, I poke holes into the bottom and I use pie weights
> sitting on a piece of parchment paper or foil.
>
> I do not stretch the dough out. I lay the pastry over the pie pan and
> then.... this may be hard to explain..... I gather slip my hands under
> the sheet of dough and lift up and push in gently do that the dough shet
> falls into place. If there are sections where the dough is not sitting
> against the pan I use one hand to lift up the outer edge and the other
> hand to push the slack bits into place, more a matter of guiding it into
> place than forcing or stretching it.
>
> The next step is to slip a nice sharp paring knife around the edge to
> trim off the excess dough and then to use thumbs and fingers to push the
> edges in and crimp them in a in a sort of continuous S shape.

You've just described exactly what I do. :-)

> BTW........ I tried out my new rolling pin that I got from Mrs. Claus
> for Christmas. It is quite long and slightly tapered toward both ends. I
> impressed myself. I had enough leftover (lard) pie pastry from Christmas
> Eve that I was able to roll out for a pie shell to be blind baked. I
> was afraid that it might be a little skimpy, having already made a
> double crust meat pie with the rest of it. I had no trouble rolling it
> out to a near perfect circle to fit a pie pan and barely enough left
> over to trim.

Isn't that a French style rolling pin? I've thought I might buy one, but I
have an extra long traditional style pin made of birdseye maple that I
inherited from my mother. I probably don't need another one.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Date: Friday, 01(I)/02(II)/09(MMIX)
Countdown till Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
2wks 2dys 11hrs 5mins
Why are you wasting time reading taglines?