Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Pie crust shrinkage

On Fri 02 Jan 2009 01:32:57p, Goro told us...

> On Jan 2, 9:13*am, Wayne Boatwright >
> wrote:
>> On Fri 02 Jan 2009 08:54:08a, Goro told us...
>>
>> > Everytime i make a pie crust, i get a bit of shrinkage. *It shrinks
>> > maybe 1/4 to 1/2 an inch and i'm not sure how to fix it. *It's never
>> > posed a real problem, but it is a bit annoying.

>> > i use a pretty normal crust recipe, i think, using some shortening and
>> > them the rest butter.

>> > So any suggestions on how to keep the crust from shrinking?

>> > thx
>> > -goro-

>> I am assuming that you're referring to a single baked crust, as this is

> ot
>> so prevalent in double-crust pies.
>>
>> Having said that, a couple of things are important. *Never make any att

> empt
>> to stretch the dough into shape, as it will want to shrink back. *Chill

> the
>> dough in a disk shape prior to rolling out. *Allow the dough to rest in

> the
>> pan before final fitting. *Make sure, again, not to stretch the dough i

>> place in the pan. *Make a good edge around the top of the pan pressing
>> firmly in place.
>>
>> HTH

> Thanks. my process is :
> 1. form the dough into a disc
> 2. Chill in fridge for 20min.
> 3. Roll out and put on 9" deep dish pie plate
> 4. trim excess to about 1/2" over hang
> 5. tuck extra underneath and flute.
> 6. chill in fridge for 40min
> 7. put in freezer for 20min.
> 8. put foil over the top and put in ceramic pie weights
> 9. put into 375degree preheated oven for 25+ min
>
> I still get that shrinkage where the edge of the crust goes from the
> outer edge of the piepan to the inner one.
>
> Of what you said, the one i'm not really doing is really making a good
> edge on the top. I'll try that next.
>
> thx
> -goro-

Sounds like you're basically doing it right, goro, and there may always be
a very slight shrinkage, but not as much as you mentioned. When you
perfect your edge, make sure it is pressed very tightly against the pie
pan. Also make sure that the foil is pressed tightly against the sides of
the pastry, including the top edge.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Date: Friday, 01(I)/02(II)/09(MMIX)
Countdown till Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
2wks 2dys 10hrs 15mins
'Ethel the Aardvark goes Quantity Surveying'.