Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Pie crust shrinkage

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> I am assuming that you're referring to a single baked crust, as this is not
> so prevalent in double-crust pies.
>
> Having said that, a couple of things are important. Never make any attempt
> to stretch the dough into shape, as it will want to shrink back. Chill the
> dough in a disk shape prior to rolling out. Allow the dough to rest in the
> pan before final fitting. Make sure, again, not to stretch the dough in
> place in the pan. Make a good edge around the top of the pan pressing
> firmly in place.

I never have any trouble with pie shells where the dough has not had a
chance to rest before baking. I usually make up the dough, press it
into disks, wrap them in waxed paper or plastic wrap and stick them into
the fridge for 10-15 minutes. I preheat the oven while I roll out the
dough, put in into the pans and pop them immediately into the oven.

However...... in order to prevent the bottoms from rising up off the
bottom of the pan, I poke holes into the bottom and I use pie weights
sitting on a piece of parchment paper or foil.

I do not stretch the dough out. I lay the pastry over the pie pan and
then.... this may be hard to explain..... I gather slip my hands under
the sheet of dough and lift up and push in gently do that the dough shet
falls into place. If there are sections where the dough is not sitting
against the pan I use one hand to lift up the outer edge and the other
hand to push the slack bits into place, more a matter of guiding it into
place than forcing or stretching it.

The next step is to slip a nice sharp paring knife around the edge to
trim off the excess dough and then to use thumbs and fingers to push the
edges in and crimp them in a in a sort of continuous S shape.

BTW........ I tried out my new rolling pin that I got from Mrs. Claus
for Christmas. It is quite long and slightly tapered toward both ends. I
impressed myself. I had enough leftover (lard) pie pastry from Christmas
Eve that I was able to roll out for a pie shell to be blind baked. I
was afraid that it might be a little skimpy, having already made a
double crust meat pie with the rest of it. I had no trouble rolling it
out to a near perfect circle to fit a pie pan and barely enough left
over to trim.