Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Pie crust

The bottom of my apple pie crust is always on the raw side ,not fully cooked
.. The top is good.
How can I remedy this ?
Mary

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy Petro" wrote:

>The bottom of my apple pie crust is always on the raw side ,not fully cooked
>. The top is good.
>How can I remedy this ?

Bake the bottom crust before filling.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 9, 7:16*pm, "Andy Petro" > wrote:
> The bottom of my apple pie crust is always on the raw side ,not fully cooked
> . The top is good.
> How can I remedy this ?

"Blind bake" the empty bottom crust for 8 to 12 minutes, watching it
to be sure you only let it slightly brown. As in you want it only a
speckled tan, not fully browned at all. Also be sure to fork-prick
the very bottom of the raw crust four or five times to let the steam
out so that it won't bubble or crack.
....Picky

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy Petro wrote:
> The bottom of my apple pie crust is always on the raw side ,not fully cooked
> . The top is good.
> How can I remedy this ?

Cook it longer. It should be golden brown. Watch the edges, because they
will cook a little faster and turn darker brown.

FWIW, I usually bake the pies in our house and have asked my wife to
take it out when it is done because I was doing something else. She
tended to take them out because the timer had gone and couldn't quite
grasp the concept of golden brown, taking them out while they were still
too pale and not fully cooked.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy Petro added the following to the totality of all human wisdom on
6/9/2010 in writing
> The bottom of my apple pie crust is always on the raw side ,not fully cooked
> . The top is good.
> How can I remedy this ?
> Mary

a.) pre-bake or b.) role it thinner or c.) cook it on a lower rack
assuming a conventional oven

--
Yours,
Dan S.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

rec.food.baking wrote:
> On Jun 9, 7:16 pm, "Andy Petro" > wrote:
>> The bottom of my apple pie crust is always on the raw side ,not fully cooked
>> . The top is good.
>> How can I remedy this ?

> "Blind bake" the empty bottom crust for 8 to 12 minutes, watching it
> to be sure you only let it slightly brown. As in you want it only a
> speckled tan, not fully browned at all. Also be sure to fork-prick
> the very bottom of the raw crust four or five times to let the steam
> out so that it won't bubble or crack.
> ...Picky

If you do that, the top and bottom crust won't seal (maybe doesn't
matter for an apple pie like it would berry or peach.) Mainly the
pie just needs to be baked longer. Cover the top or edges with foil
if they are getting too brown.

Also the baking temperature might be too low, so the crust never
gets any hotter than the filling.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 9, 7:16*pm, "Andy Petro" > wrote:
> The bottom of my apple pie crust is always on the raw side ,not fully cooked
> . The top is good.
> How can I remedy this ?
> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Mary

What kind of pie pan are you using? Glass or shiny metal? Try a dark
pan.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/9/2010 4:16 PM, Andy Petro wrote:
> The bottom of my apple pie crust is always on the raw side ,not fully cooked
> .. The top is good.
> How can I remedy this ?
> Mary

I use a heavy cookie sheet on the lower rack and bake the pie on that.
Leave the sheet in while you preheat the oven.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy Petro" > wrote in message
> The bottom of my apple pie crust is always on the raw side ,not fully
> cooked . The top is good.
> How can I remedy this ?

Mary

If it is a single crust pie, blind bake it first. Dock the crust, line with
parchment paper, add weights like beans and bake. Then fill and finish. If
it is a double crust, be sure to have the temperature set right, bake a tad
logger. Cover the edge with aluminum foil to avoid it burning and remove
for the last 10 minutes of baking. Cook on the lowest rack. Use glass pans
so you can easily judge the doneness of the crust.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Paul M. Cook" > wrote:

> "Andy Petro" > wrote in message
> > The bottom of my apple pie crust is always on the raw side ,not fully
> > cooked . The top is good.
> > How can I remedy this ?
> >

> Mary
> >

> If it is a single crust pie, blind bake it first. Dock the crust, line with
> parchment paper, add weights like beans and bake. Then fill and finish. If
> it is a double crust, be sure to have the temperature set right, bake a tad
> logger. Cover the edge with aluminum foil to avoid it burning and remove
> for the last 10 minutes of baking. Cook on the lowest rack. Use glass pans
> so you can easily judge the doneness of the crust.
>
> Paul

I've heard of using beans for this too. It really works?
They actually sell "pie weights" also for this, but beans would be
cheaper. <g>

<http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...aps&field-keyw
ords=pie+weights&x=0&y=0>

Or:

<http://tinyurl.com/374y9ln>
--
Peace! Om

Posted to rec.food.cooking

spamtrap1888 wrote:
> On Jun 9, 7:16 pm, "Andy Petro" > wrote:
>> The bottom of my apple pie crust is always on the raw side ,not fully cooked
>> . The top is good.
>> How can I remedy this ?
>> Mary

> What kind of pie pan are you using? Glass or shiny metal? Try a dark
> pan.

I have results with my enamel metal pans than with glass, aluminum or
plain metal.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mr. Bill wrote:
> On Jun 10, 6:05 am, Omelet > wrote:
>
>> I've heard of using beans for this too. It really works?
>> They actually sell "pie weights" also for this, but beans would be
>> cheaper. <g>

> I have a bag of pinto beans that have to be ten years old now. I
> just keep them in the freezer and reuse them for every blind baking.
> And ten years ago...the bag probably was 39 cents! Got my money's
> worth out of that purchase.
>
> Something new I ran across a few weeks ago...and this really is an
> easy recipe!

I have a little tub of pie weights. They look like chick peas but are
light green in colour. They work great. I prick the dough on the bottom
and place set a small piece of foil or parchment paper over the dough
and bake.

Can't figure out why people are suggesting that the OP bake the bottom
crust of an apple pie. One would not be able to roll the bottom over
the lid to seal it around the edges. IMO, that suggestion is just plain
stupid and misleading. Most pie cooking instructions say to start with a
hot oven, 425-450 for 15-20 minutes and then turn it down to 375 for
another 40-45 minutes. When cooking pies you can't just take them out
when the timer goes. You have to look at the crust and make sure that it
has started to turn colour.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 10, 5:05*am, Omelet > wrote:
> In article >,
> *"Paul M. Cook" > wrote:
>

> > "Andy Petro" > wrote in message
> > > The bottom of my apple pie crust is always on the raw side ,not fully
> > > cooked . The top is good.
> > > How can I remedy this ?

> > * * * * * * * * * * * *Mary

> > If it is a single crust pie, blind bake it first. *Dock the crust, line with
> > parchment paper, add weights like beans and bake. *Then fill and finish. *If
> > it is a double crust, be sure to have the temperature set right, bake a tad
> > logger. *Cover the edge with aluminum foil to avoid it burning and remove
> > for the last 10 minutes of baking. *Cook on the lowest rack. *Use glass pans
> > so you can easily judge the doneness of the crust.

> > Paul

> I've heard of using beans for this too. It really works?
> They actually sell "pie weights" also for this, but beans would be
> cheaper. <g>
>
> <http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...aps&field-keyw
> ords=pie+weights&x=0&y=0>
>
> Or:
>
> <http://tinyurl.com/374y9ln>
> --
> Peace! Om
>
> Web Albums: <http://picasaweb.google.com/OMPOmelet>
> Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat. *--Alex Levine- Hide quoted text -

I use navy beans - have used the same ones over and over and over. I
line the bottom of the plate with lightly greased parchment paper (cut
in a circle) - dump the beans in, and blind bake like that. Works a
treat.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:

>rec.food.baking wrote:
>> On Jun 9, 7:16 pm, "Andy Petro" > wrote:
>>> The bottom of my apple pie crust is always on the raw side ,not fully cooked
>>> . The top is good.
>>> How can I remedy this ?

>> "Blind bake" the empty bottom crust for 8 to 12 minutes, watching it
>> to be sure you only let it slightly brown. As in you want it only a
>> speckled tan, not fully browned at all. Also be sure to fork-prick
>> the very bottom of the raw crust four or five times to let the steam
>> out so that it won't bubble or crack.
>> ...Picky
>>

>If you do that, the top and bottom crust won't seal.

It'll seal if you brush both crusts where they make contact with
liquid; milk, egg wash, even plain water
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 05:05:54 -0500, Omelet >
wrote:

> I've heard of using beans for this too. It really works?
> They actually sell "pie weights" also for this, but beans would be
> cheaper. <g>
>
> <http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...aps&field-keyw
> ords=pie+weights&x=0&y=0>
>
> Or:
>
> <http://tinyurl.com/374y9ln>

I've used the same pie weights for decades, so what interests me on
that page is that "pie shield". It sure beats crimping foil around
the edge! I'm going to look for one locally. Thanks for the new
kitchen toy idea.

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 10:20:07 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> Can't figure out why people are suggesting that the OP bake the bottom
> crust of an apple pie.

I was taken aback by that too, but I guess they're thinking of a
streusel top.

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> I've used the same pie weights for decades, so what interests me on
> that page is that "pie shield". It sure beats crimping foil around
> the edge! I'm going to look for one locally. Thanks for the new
> kitchen toy idea.

Me too. I have had my pie weights for at least 20 years. They came in a
little plastic tub and there are enough of them for 2-3 pies. it never
occurred to me to shield the edges because that is the way I gauge when
my pies are cooked. However, I wish I knew how to stop fruit fillings
from oozing out. I seal and crimp the top and top and bottom crusts and
poke holes in the top to allow steam to exit, but I usually end up with
some gooey seepage. I lay the pan on top of a sheet of foil sitting on a
baking pan. That saves the bottom of the oven and the hard scrubbing to
clean the pan, but the goop still sticks to the bottom of the pie pan.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 08:18:31 -0700, Ranée at Arabian Knits
> wrote:

> I agree. The only advice I thought to offer was bake it longer.

I think people tend to place their pies too high, so the top browns
too much before the bottom is well cooked. Whoever said to heat a
heavy cookie sheet in the oven and bake on that is right on AFAIC, I
do that and it works. I also place the pie as low as possible in the
oven. The idea is for the heat to be hotter at the bottom than the
top. Oh, turn off "convect" too.

For those who just don't want to fight with a crust, do a rustic one
crust pie.

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Jun 10, 10:46*am, sf > wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 08:18:31 -0700, Ran e at Arabian Knits

> > * *I agree. *The only advice I thought to offer was bake it longer.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 10:46:50 -0700, sf > wrote:

> For those who just don't want to fight with a crust, do a rustic one
> crust pie.

I forgot to include a picture of what I am talking about. When I say
"one crust", my family knows I mean this type of pie
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3051/...3b40cd7f8b.jpg

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 10:20:07 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>Can't figure out why people are suggesting that the OP bake the bottom
>crust of an apple pie. One would not be able to roll the bottom over
>the lid to seal it around the edges.

WTF are you yammering about lids?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 17:50:22 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

> I'm sure you'll like the pie sheild. I bought two of them years ago
> and never bake a pie or blind crust without using one.

You bought them years ago? Wow, am I ever out of the loop! I hadn't
even heard of them before Om posted that page.

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 9, 10:16*pm, "Andy Petro" > wrote:
> The bottom of my apple pie crust is always on the raw side ,not fully cooked
> . The top is good.
> How can I remedy this ?
> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Mary

I don't know if anybody else suggested this, but if you use a metal
pie
pan, try preheating a heavy sheet pan on the lowest rack of your
oven, and then set the pie pan right on it when you cook the pie.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 10:46:50 -0700, sf > wrote:
>
>> For those who just don't want to fight with a crust, do a rustic one
>> crust pie.

> I forgot to include a picture of what I am talking about. When I say
> "one crust", my family knows I mean this type of pie
> http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3051/...3b40cd7f8b.jpg

I've made those a few times, slightly sweetened crust, with apples
that were starting to shrivel a bit. Delicious. My son-in-law
who doesn't usually like apple pie asked for seconds.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 10, 12:36*pm, sf > wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 05:05:54 -0500, Omelet >
> wrote:
>
> > I've heard of using beans for this too. It really works?
> > They actually sell "pie weights" also for this, but beans would be
> > cheaper. <g>

> > <http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...aps&field-keyw
> > ords=pie+weights&x=0&y=0>

> > Or:

> > <http://tinyurl.com/374y9ln>

> I've used the same pie weights for decades, so what interests me on
> that page is that "pie shield". *It sure beats crimping foil around
> the edge! *I'm going to look for one locally. *Thanks for the new
> kitchen toy idea.
>
> --
> Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.

i got pie shields in a set of 2 - 8" and 9"

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 13:23:17 -0600, "gloria.p" >
wrote:

>sf wrote:
>> On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 10:46:50 -0700, sf > wrote:
>>
>>> For those who just don't want to fight with a crust, do a rustic one
>>> crust pie.

>> I forgot to include a picture of what I am talking about. When I say
>> "one crust", my family knows I mean this type of pie
>> http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3051/...3b40cd7f8b.jpg
>>

>I've made those a few times, slightly sweetened crust, with apples
>that were starting to shrivel a bit. Delicious. My son-in-law
>who doesn't usually like apple pie asked for seconds.

But that's not a pie, it's a tart.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/10/2010 5:54 AM, Mr. Bill wrote:
> I have a bag of pinto beans that have to be ten years old now. I
> just keep them in the freezer and reuse them for every blind baking.
> And ten years ago...the bag probably was 39 cents! Got my money's
> worth out of that purchase.

It is good to know someone else uses pinto beans. I do not freeze mine,
I store them in the pantry in a plastic bag. They have turned a nice
shade of toasty brown.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 19:56:37 +0100, Janet Baraclough
> wrote:

>The message >
>from sf > contains these words:
>
>> On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 10:46:50 -0700, sf > wrote:

>> > For those who just don't want to fight with a crust, do a rustic one
>> > crust pie.

>> I forgot to include a picture of what I am talking about. When I say
>> "one crust", my family knows I mean this type of pie
>> http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3051/...3b40cd7f8b.jpg

> I've never heard of or seen one done like that before.

That's not a pie, that's a tart.

tart
n. Very simply, a tart is a pastry crust with shallow sides, a
filling and no top crust. The filling can be sweet (such as fruit or
sweet custard) or savory (like meat, cheese or savory custard).
Depending on the type of tart, the pastry shell can be baked and then
filled, or filled and then baked. Tarts can be bite-sized (often
served as HORS D'OEUVRE), individual-sized (sometimes called tartlets
) or full-sized. They can be used as appetizers, entrées or desserts.
See also TARTE TATIN. tart adj. Sharp, acidic or sour.

© Copyright Barron's Educational Services, Inc. 1995 based on THE FOOD
LOVER'S COMPANION, 2nd edition, by Sharon Tyler Herbst.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Thu 10 Jun 2010 11:24:05a, sf told us...
>
>> On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 17:50:22 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> I'm sure you'll like the pie sheild. I bought two of them years
>>> ago and never bake a pie or blind crust without using one.

>> You bought them years ago? Wow, am I ever out of the loop! I
>> hadn't even heard of them before Om posted that page.
>>

> IIRC, sf, I bought them sometime in the early/mid-1980s, about the same
> time I bought my first pie weights.

I've seen pie shields in the old catalogs like Helen Gallagher, Paragon,
etc. My pie weights are small aluminum discs. They occasionally get
stuck in the cooked pie shell and I have to pick many of them out by hand.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 10, 6:17*pm, "gloria.p" > wrote:

> etc. *My pie weights are small aluminum discs. *They occasionally get
> stuck in the cooked pie shell and I have to pick many of them out by hand..
>
> gloria p

That used to happen to me also...until I started lining the shell with
a sheet of parchment. Easy to pick up the parchment sling to remove
all at once.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 10, 2:02*pm, brooklyn1 > wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 13:23:17 -0600, "gloria.p" >
> wrote:
>

> >sf wrote:

> >> I forgot to include a picture of what I am talking about. *When I say
> >> "one crust", my family knows I mean this type of pie
> >>http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3051/...3b40cd7f8b.jpg

> >I've made those a few times, slightly sweetened crust, with apples
> >that were starting to shrivel a bit. *Delicious. *My son-in-law
> >who doesn't usually like apple pie asked for seconds.

> But that's not a pie, it's a tart.- Hide quoted text -

It's not a tart, it's a galette.
Susan B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/10/2010 5:17 PM, gloria.p wrote:

> My pie weights are small aluminum discs. They occasionally get
> stuck in the cooked pie shell and I have to pick many of them out by
> hand.
>
> gloria p

Place parchment paper on top of the pie dough, then add your pie
weights. It works pretty good.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 10, 9:57*am, Janet Baraclough >
wrote:

> * *Glass pans don't conduct heat well enough for pastry. IMO.
>
> * *Turn the oven to 200 C, or 400 F; and DON'T put the pie in until the
> oven temperature indicator goes out to tell you it has reached the
> required heat.
> * * I use, either a stone ware pan or *a dark metal one.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ High fives, Janet!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 19:56:37 +0100, Janet Baraclough
> wrote:

> The message >
> from sf > contains these words:
>
> > On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 10:46:50 -0700, sf > wrote:

> > > For those who just don't want to fight with a crust, do a rustic one
> > > crust pie.

> > I forgot to include a picture of what I am talking about. When I say
> > "one crust", my family knows I mean this type of pie
> > http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3051/...3b40cd7f8b.jpg

> I've never heard of or seen one done like that before. What a cool idea.

It's extremely easy to make and never soggy on the bottom.

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 16:17:41 -0600, "gloria.p" >
wrote:

> My pie weights are small aluminum discs. They occasionally get
> stuck in the cooked pie shell and I have to pick many of them out by hand.

Line the shell with foil, just pick it up by the corners to take out
the weights... and no picking them out of pastry afterward.

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 22:49:07 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

> The first pie weights I owned were also aluminum, but shaped more
> like a chocolate chip with the curl on top.

Yours are the same as mine... they look like aluminum Hershey's
Kisses.

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 10, 6:34*pm, sueb > wrote:
> On Jun 10, 2:02*pm, brooklyn1 > wrote:
>

> > On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 13:23:17 -0600, "gloria.p" >
> > wrote:

> > >I've made those a few times, slightly sweetened crust, with apples
> > >that were starting to shrivel a bit. *Delicious. *My son-in-law
> > >who doesn't usually like apple pie asked for seconds.

> > But that's not a pie, it's a tart.- Hide quoted text -

> It's not a tart, it's a galette.
> Susan B.

If it's tasty, what does it matter?

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>sueb wrote:
>>brooklyn1 wrote:

>> > But that's not a pie, it's a tart.

>> It's not a tart, it's a galette.
>> Susan B.

>If it's tasty, what does it matter?
>
>Cindy Hamilton

Gallete is simply the French word for tart.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 10, 6:00*pm, Becca > wrote:
> On 6/10/2010 5:17 PM, gloria.p wrote:
>

> > * My pie weights are small aluminum discs. *They occasionally get
> > stuck in the cooked pie shell and I have to pick many of them out by
> > hand.

> > gloria p

> Place parchment paper on top of the pie dough, then add your pie
> weights. *It works pretty good.
>
> Becca

I lightly spray-grease the parchment side that goes into the crust -
otherwise, it wants to stick to the dough, especially if I've used an
egg wash on it to keep it from getting soggy from the filling.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

brooklyn1 wrote:

> Gallete is simply the French word for tart.

The French word for tart is tarte.