Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Pie crust shrinkage

Janet Baraclough wrote:

>> Thanks. my process is :
>> 1. form the dough into a disc
>> 2. Chill in fridge for 20min.
>> 3. Roll out and put on 9" deep dish pie plate
>> 4. trim excess to about 1/2" over hang
>> 5. tuck extra underneath and flute.

>> 6. chill in fridge for 40min
>> 7. put in freezer for 20min.

> why 6 and 7?
>
> I'd say its drying out too much before you cook it.
>
> Just make it, roll it , plate it. cook it. You''ll probably get a
> better result.

I don't understand those two steps either. I press the dough into disks,
wrap them up and cool them for 10-15 minutes, then roll them out, put
them in a pan and blind bake them immediately with weights in the
bottom. I don't have a problem with the pie shells shrinking. And I make
pastry that always gets rave reviews.