Old 10-04-2008, 08:52 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Annual weather rant

It's April 10. Spring flowers are in bloom. The lupine,
iris and day lilies are about 6 inches tall.

The flowering and fruit trees are in bloom (You can see
where this is going, can't you?) including our two mature
apricot trees. Leaves are emerging from buds on shade trees.

We had many days in the low 70's in March.

Today it is 30 degrees and SNOWING, with 6-8 inches forecast.

Here we go, another year w/o home-grown apricots.

I can't decide if it's fools not learning from former errors
or hope springing eternal, but over the weekend we planted
two cherry trees and another apricot (we hope it's a
later-blooming one.)

;-(
gloria p

Old 10-04-2008, 10:01 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Puester wrote:
It's April 10. Spring flowers are in bloom. The lupine, iris and day
lilies are about 6 inches tall.

The flowering and fruit trees are in bloom (You can see where this is
going, can't you?) including our two mature apricot trees. Leaves are
emerging from buds on shade trees.

We had many days in the low 70's in March.

Today it is 30 degrees and SNOWING, with 6-8 inches forecast.

Here we go, another year w/o home-grown apricots.

I can't decide if it's fools not learning from former errors or hope
springing eternal, but over the weekend we planted two cherry trees and
another apricot (we hope it's a later-blooming one.)

;-(
gloria p

Yeah, yeah, yeah. I had to turn the air conditioning on yesterday.
Inside temperatures rose to 81F in the late afternoon and it was 85F
outside. Today the unit hasn't run at all, overcast with a stiff wind
blowing. Here in SW Louisiana you don't like the weather, wait five
minutes and it will change.

OB: Took SIL to Richard's (Reechard's) cafe for lunch. He had the
catfish platter, I had crawfish etouffee on white rice with a small bowl
of potato salad and another of nice slaw.

George
Old 10-04-2008, 10:09 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 10, 12:52*pm, Puester wrote:
It's April 10. *Spring flowers are in bloom. *The lupine,
iris and day lilies are about 6 inches tall.

The flowering and fruit trees are in bloom (You can see
where this is going, can't you?) including our two mature
apricot trees. *Leaves are emerging from buds on shade trees.

We had many days in the low 70's in March.

Today it is 30 degrees and SNOWING, with 6-8 inches forecast.

Here we go, another year w/o home-grown apricots.

I can't decide if it's fools not learning from former errors
or hope springing eternal, but over the weekend we planted
two cherry trees and another apricot (we hope it's a
later-blooming one.)

;-(
gloria p

Here, in the Pacific NW, we are looking at 70ish on Saturday. That
will be the nicest weather here this year so far! I can't wait, but
there's still plenty of time for the forecast to change!!
Old 10-04-2008, 10:15 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Michael \"Dog3\" wrote:

Puester dropped this news:JduLj.167159
: in rec.food.cooking

It's April 10. *Spring flowers are in bloom. *The lupine,
iris and day lilies are about 6 inches tall.

The flowering and fruit trees are in bloom (You can see
where this is going, can't you?) including our two mature
apricot trees. *Leaves are emerging from buds on shade trees.

We had many days in the low 70's in March.

Today it is 30 degrees and SNOWING, with 6-8 inches forecast.

Here we go, another year w/o home-grown apricots.

I can't decide if it's fools not learning from former errors
or hope springing eternal, but over the weekend we planted
two cherry trees and another apricot (we hope it's a
later-blooming one.)

;-(
gloria p

I don't have an ounce of pity for you. We haven't come close to 70
degrees and we're getting yet another full day of rain. *I've now got 64
plants in my garage which I've ordered from different nurseries and they
have already been delivered. I can't plant them. *The ground is so wet I
need hip boots to take the dog out for her walks. *The feral cat rarely
leaves the garage.

If all else fails, I've got to buy 64 peat pots in various sizes to at
least get some of these plants into some fresh soil. *I'm not a happy
camper.

Hey, I dig ya...it's currently about 40 degrees here in Chicawgo and
storming.

Usually by this time there is a *tiny* bit of green starting to show
on the trees and the grass, but everything is still Rust Belt mid -
winter UGLI. I've seen a very few tulips and such but they are in
POTS so that they can be brought inside during cold nights...

We are having our first "summer" cookout this Saturday, the forecast
is highs in the low 40's, rain and SNOW flurries [it's for a bunch of
birthdays, so really can't be postponed]. It will be fun huddled
around the grill cooking, lol. This weekend I'm making bean soup in
the crockpot, usually by this time I'm thinking of lighter fare...

Michael, I hope all your fuzzy pets are doing okay and that you get
yer gardening done EVENTUALLY...maybe just build a big "bio - dome"
for all that new nursery stock...don't forget the tilapia for the
pond, lol.

Don't forget, this is a drag for the farmers, too. They are ready to
start getting their crops in and it's still KRUMMY weather. Hope this
cold wet spring doesn't lead eventually to higher food prices...

--
Best
Greg

Old 10-04-2008, 10:39 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Puester" wrote in message
It's April 10. Spring flowers are in bloom. The lupine, iris and day
lilies are about 6 inches tall.

The flowering and fruit trees are in bloom (You can see where this is
going, can't you?) including our two mature apricot trees. Leaves are
emerging from buds on shade trees.

We are still enjoying the 70s weather with a nice breeze blowing. The
flowers around the trellis are exploding with blooms this year. I have no
clue what they are since they were planted by the owners before us but they
are very pretty.

Our garden is all in the ground, we did that last weekend. One of our tomato
plants has decided to bloom already. We haven't really had much of a winter
this year (though winter here means rainy season with 30s and 40s weather).
Our apricots are already in fruit. The pomegranate tree is in bloom too. I
guess there are things to be said about living in this part of California.

I do hope that your apricots don't all take a header with the new snow. I
could always over you some of ours if I can steal them from the birds, but
they probably wouldn't handled being shipped very well.

Cindi

Old 10-04-2008, 11:30 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
,
Puester wrote:

I can't decide if it's fools not learning from former errors
or hope springing eternal, but over the weekend we planted
two cherry trees and another apricot (we hope it's a
later-blooming one.)

;-(
gloria p

My money's on the former. "-) Did you plant dwarf trees? They'll be
easier to put netting over to keep the birds out of the cherries.

I cry for sympathetic pain. White Shit (meteorological terminology)
here too comes. Ptooey! Ptooey! Ptooeyphooey!

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor
Old 10-04-2008, 11:33 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael "Dog3" wrote:
Puester dropped this news:JduLj.167159
: in rec.food.cooking

Today it is 30 degrees and SNOWING, with 6-8 inches forecast.

I don't have an ounce of pity for you.

That's pretty harsh, Michael!

We haven't come close to 70
degrees and we're getting yet another full day of rain.

Hey, it's not MY fault! We don't even think about planting
annuals
here until at least June 1, and even then we keep our
fingers crossed for
about two weeks.

gp
Old 10-04-2008, 11:36 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Gregory Morrow wrote:

Don't forget, this is a drag for the farmers, too. They are ready to
start getting their crops in and it's still KRUMMY weather. Hope this
cold wet spring doesn't lead eventually to higher food prices...

If it's not weather causing inflation, it will be something
else:

http://tinyurl.com/3m9sdl

gp
Old 11-04-2008, 12:33 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Puester wrote:

Gregory Morrow wrote:

Don't forget, this is a drag for the farmers, too. *They are ready to
start getting their crops in and it's still KRUMMY weather. *Hope this
cold wet spring doesn't lead eventually to higher food prices...

If it's not weather causing inflation, it will be something
else:

http://tinyurl.com/3m9sdl

Interesting, Gloria, thanks. What will Walmart do...???

I grabbed this from another newsgroup. And the ABC evening nooze
tonight had a feature on "food inflation", e.g. rice up 147% in the
past year, dairy up 80%, etc. Poor people are rioting in Africa,
India, etc. And I'm surprised food here in the wealthy countries is
not a LOT higher:

"April 9 (Bloomberg) -- The U.S. vowed to supply the Philippines with
as much
rice as the world's biggest buyer of the cereal needs after some of
the
largest exporters cut sales to safeguard domestic stockpiles.

Rice, the staple food for half the world, has doubled in price in the
past
year as China, Egypt, Vietnam and India, representing more than a
third of
global shipments, reduced sales to secure domestic supplies. The price
of
the cereal in Chicago rose 1.7 percent today to $20.825 per 100
pounds,
below the record $21.60 per 100 pounds yesterday.

The Philippines is tightening controls over domestic sales and
boosting
overseas purchases to curb price rises and avoid the kind of unrest
experienced by some African countries. The government plans to buy
more rice
at tenders in April and May.

U.S. rice exports, the third largest behind those of Thailand and
Vietnam,
were forecast to jump 22 percent to 3.58 million tons in the year
ended July
31, the U.S. Department of Agriculture said March 11."

/

Old 11-04-2008, 01:24 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Costs of food, was: Annual weather rant

Gregory Morrow wrote:
Puester wrote:

Gregory Morrow wrote:

[...]

I live in rice growing country and have watched the acreage planted in
rice go down by about 75% since the mid-sixties. Government controls on
"allotments", control of acreage, price controls, etc pretty much doomed
the rice industry in Texas and Louisiana. It became more attractive for
the farmer to raise soybeans, sugar cane, and even crawfish.

Sugar cane went down for a long time due to other nations subsidizing
their cane crops and put ours out of business for many years. Cane has
made somewhat of a comeback but not as much as previously.

We're going to see the same thing with corn (maize) due to push/rush to
make ethanol for automotive purposes. You're doing to see basic prices
going up over the next ten years but we're still subsidizing many
farmers, particularly dairy with our tax dollars.

Don't buy gold as an inflation hedge, buy food.

George

Old 11-04-2008, 02:01 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 10, 12:52 pm, Puester wrote:
It's April 10. Spring flowers are in bloom. The lupine,
iris and day lilies are about 6 inches tall.

The flowering and fruit trees are in bloom (You can see
where this is going, can't you?) including our two mature
apricot trees. Leaves are emerging from buds on shade trees.

We had many days in the low 70's in March.

Today it is 30 degrees and SNOWING, with 6-8 inches forecast.

Here we go, another year w/o home-grown apricots.

I can't decide if it's fools not learning from former errors
or hope springing eternal, but over the weekend we planted
two cherry trees and another apricot (we hope it's a
later-blooming one.)

Alas, dear lady, I cry for you and the loss of futures on those early-
blooming trees.

Know, though, that the 70F temperatures (forecast well into the 80s
for the weekend, and beautifully boring sunny skies) make me realize
every day in every way why I live where I do.

The Ranger
Old 11-04-2008, 02:41 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
,
Puester wrote:

Here we go, another year w/o home-grown apricots.

Our neighbor (if someone is there, the home was recently foreclosed) has
an enormous apricot tree that overhangs about a quarter circle above my
backyard. Bird pecked apricots rain down when my best friend, Late
Frost, doesn't appear to help me out. I think BF helped me this year,
but time will tell. I carry a couple hundred pounds of apricots to the
trash about once every five years. Finding one without a hole in it is a
losing proposition. And I like apricots.

leo
Old 11-04-2008, 03:07 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
In article
,
Puester wrote:

Here we go, another year w/o home-grown apricots.

Our neighbor (if someone is there, the home was recently foreclosed) has
an enormous apricot tree that overhangs about a quarter circle above my
backyard. Bird pecked apricots rain down when my best friend, Late
Frost, doesn't appear to help me out. I think BF helped me this year,
but time will tell. I carry a couple hundred pounds of apricots to the
trash about once every five years. Finding one without a hole in it is a
losing proposition. And I like apricots.

leo

You need to drape a heavily fruited branch with netting or
even chicken
wire to keep the birds out.

The two or three years (in 24) when we have had a crop we
get enough so we
didn't mind sharing with the animals. Squirrels are much
more attracted to
our fruit than the birds are. The squirrels would run up the
trunk, pick an apricot,
then run down and over to a tall Ponderosa pine, run up the
pine eat, and drop the
pit before starting over. By the time the fruit was gone
there was quite a pile of
apricot pits under the pine tree.

The birds tend to prefer the grapes or tomatoes.

gloria p
Old 11-04-2008, 03:48 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 11, 3:52*am, Puester wrote:
It's April 10. *Spring flowers are in bloom. *The lupine,
iris and day lilies are about 6 inches tall.

The flowering and fruit trees are in bloom (You can see
where this is going, can't you?) including our two mature
apricot trees. *Leaves are emerging from buds on shade trees.

We had many days in the low 70's in March.

Today it is 30 degrees and SNOWING, with 6-8 inches forecast.

Eek, that's about 1C, I don't want to leave home on the very rare
occasions that we get a morning where the temp gets that low.

Here downunder (latitude 31 degrees 58 minutes South) we are in the
second month of Autumn and the temperature today is 25C (77F). The
forecast for the weekend is 30 - 32C (86 - 89F).

JB

Old 11-04-2008, 09:50 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael "Dog3" wrote:
[...]

Michael

BEG It's 78 and party cloudy here in Naples /BEG

The 12th Annual World Barista Championship is in full swing inBogota, Colombia, in conjunction with the ExpoEspeciales annual conferenceand exhibition hosted by the Colombian Coffee Growers Federation, June 2-5,2011 news Coffee 0 04-06-2011 06:48 AM
This Ng and What I don't get! RANT! ~patches~ General Cooking 287 04-04-2006 01:53 PM
OT ice rant The Bubbo General Cooking 91 29-01-2006 02:05 PM
Food TV Rant: Go Some Else for the best. Master Chef Richard Campbell Barbecue 25 11-06-2004 03:49 PM
A Rant donovan10 Wine 33 22-04-2004 11:48 PM