Posted to rec.food.cooking
Puester Puester is offline

Default Annual weather rant

Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
> In article
> >,
> Puester > wrote:
>
>> Here we go, another year w/o home-grown apricots.

> Our neighbor (if someone is there, the home was recently foreclosed) has
> an enormous apricot tree that overhangs about a quarter circle above my
> backyard. Bird pecked apricots rain down when my best friend, Late
> Frost, doesn't appear to help me out. I think BF helped me this year,
> but time will tell. I carry a couple hundred pounds of apricots to the
> trash about once every five years. Finding one without a hole in it is a
> losing proposition. And I like apricots.
>
> leo

You need to drape a heavily fruited branch with netting or
even chicken
wire to keep the birds out.

The two or three years (in 24) when we have had a crop we
get enough so we
didn't mind sharing with the animals. Squirrels are much
more attracted to
our fruit than the birds are. The squirrels would run up the
trunk, pick an apricot,
then run down and over to a tall Ponderosa pine, run up the
pine eat, and drop the
pit before starting over. By the time the fruit was gone
there was quite a pile of
apricot pits under the pine tree.

The birds tend to prefer the grapes or tomatoes.

gloria p