Posted to rec.food.cooking
Gregory Morrow[_2_] Gregory Morrow[_2_] is offline

Default Annual weather rant

"Michael \"Dog3\" wrote:

> Puester > dropped this news:JduLj.167159
> : in rec.food.cooking
>

> > It's April 10. *Spring flowers are in bloom. *The lupine,
> > iris and day lilies are about 6 inches tall.

> > The flowering and fruit trees are in bloom (You can see
> > where this is going, can't you?) including our two mature
> > apricot trees. *Leaves are emerging from buds on shade trees.

> > We had many days in the low 70's in March.

> > Today it is 30 degrees and SNOWING, with 6-8 inches forecast.

> > Here we go, another year w/o home-grown apricots.

> > I can't decide if it's fools not learning from former errors
> > or hope springing eternal, but over the weekend we planted
> > two cherry trees and another apricot (we hope it's a
> > later-blooming one.)

> > ;-(
> > gloria p

> I don't have an ounce of pity for you. We haven't come close to 70
> degrees and we're getting yet another full day of rain. *I've now got 64
> plants in my garage which I've ordered from different nurseries and they
> have already been delivered. I can't plant them. *The ground is so wet I
> need hip boots to take the dog out for her walks. *The feral cat rarely
> leaves the garage.
>
> If all else fails, I've got to buy 64 peat pots in various sizes to at
> least get some of these plants into some fresh soil. *I'm not a happy
> camper.

Hey, I dig ya...it's currently about 40 degrees here in Chicawgo and
storming.

Usually by this time there is a *tiny* bit of green starting to show
on the trees and the grass, but everything is still Rust Belt mid -
winter UGLI. I've seen a very few tulips and such but they are in
POTS so that they can be brought inside during cold nights...

We are having our first "summer" cookout this Saturday, the forecast
is highs in the low 40's, rain and SNOW flurries [it's for a bunch of
birthdays, so really can't be postponed]. It will be fun huddled
around the grill cooking, lol. This weekend I'm making bean soup in
the crockpot, usually by this time I'm thinking of lighter fare...

Michael, I hope all your fuzzy pets are doing okay and that you get
yer gardening done EVENTUALLY...maybe just build a big "bio - dome"
for all that new nursery stock...don't forget the tilapia for the
pond, lol.

Don't forget, this is a drag for the farmers, too. They are ready to
start getting their crops in and it's still KRUMMY weather. Hope this
cold wet spring doesn't lead eventually to higher food prices...

--
Best
Greg