Posted to rec.food.cooking
Gregory Morrow[_2_] Gregory Morrow[_2_] is offline

Default Annual weather rant

Puester wrote:

> Gregory Morrow wrote:
>
> > Don't forget, this is a drag for the farmers, too. *They are ready to
> > start getting their crops in and it's still KRUMMY weather. *Hope this
> > cold wet spring doesn't lead eventually to higher food prices...

> If it's not weather causing inflation, it will be something
> else:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/3m9sdl

Interesting, Gloria, thanks. What will Walmart do...???

I grabbed this from another newsgroup. And the ABC evening nooze
tonight had a feature on "food inflation", e.g. rice up 147% in the
past year, dairy up 80%, etc. Poor people are rioting in Africa,
India, etc. And I'm surprised food here in the wealthy countries is
not a LOT higher:

"April 9 (Bloomberg) -- The U.S. vowed to supply the Philippines with
as much
rice as the world's biggest buyer of the cereal needs after some of
the
largest exporters cut sales to safeguard domestic stockpiles.

Rice, the staple food for half the world, has doubled in price in the
past
year as China, Egypt, Vietnam and India, representing more than a
third of
global shipments, reduced sales to secure domestic supplies. The price
of
the cereal in Chicago rose 1.7 percent today to $20.825 per 100
pounds,
below the record $21.60 per 100 pounds yesterday.

The Philippines is tightening controls over domestic sales and
boosting
overseas purchases to curb price rises and avoid the kind of unrest
experienced by some African countries. The government plans to buy
more rice
at tenders in April and May.

U.S. rice exports, the third largest behind those of Thailand and
Vietnam,
were forecast to jump 22 percent to 3.58 million tons in the year
ended July
31, the U.S. Department of Agriculture said March 11."

</>