Posted to rec.food.cooking
maxine in ri maxine in ri is offline

Default Annual weather rant

On Apr 10, 3:52 pm, Puester > wrote:
> It's April 10. Spring flowers are in bloom. The lupine,
> iris and day lilies are about 6 inches tall.
>
> The flowering and fruit trees are in bloom (You can see
> where this is going, can't you?) including our two mature
> apricot trees. Leaves are emerging from buds on shade trees.
>
> We had many days in the low 70's in March.
>
> Today it is 30 degrees and SNOWING, with 6-8 inches forecast.
>
> Here we go, another year w/o home-grown apricots.
>
> I can't decide if it's fools not learning from former errors
> or hope springing eternal, but over the weekend we planted
> two cherry trees and another apricot (we hope it's a
> later-blooming one.)
>
> ;-(
> gloria p

How tall are your trees? Perhaps you could take an idea from the
Florida citrus farmers and purchase a smudge pot or three to surround
your trees. That, or if the trees are pruned low, you could try
covering them with tarps when the temperature is going low.

Of course, that won't help the bee union, since they only work when
it's dry, and between 55 and 85F

If any of the flowers survive the snow, get out your feather and
diddle the blossoms so you can get them pollinated.

maxine in ri