Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Annual weather rant

It's April 10. Spring flowers are in bloom. The lupine,
iris and day lilies are about 6 inches tall.

The flowering and fruit trees are in bloom (You can see
where this is going, can't you?) including our two mature
apricot trees. Leaves are emerging from buds on shade trees.

We had many days in the low 70's in March.

Today it is 30 degrees and SNOWING, with 6-8 inches forecast.

Here we go, another year w/o home-grown apricots.

I can't decide if it's fools not learning from former errors
or hope springing eternal, but over the weekend we planted
two cherry trees and another apricot (we hope it's a
later-blooming one.)

;-(
gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Puester wrote:
> It's April 10. Spring flowers are in bloom. The lupine, iris and day
> lilies are about 6 inches tall.
>
> The flowering and fruit trees are in bloom (You can see where this is
> going, can't you?) including our two mature apricot trees. Leaves are
> emerging from buds on shade trees.
>
> We had many days in the low 70's in March.
>
> Today it is 30 degrees and SNOWING, with 6-8 inches forecast.
>
> Here we go, another year w/o home-grown apricots.
>
> I can't decide if it's fools not learning from former errors or hope
> springing eternal, but over the weekend we planted two cherry trees and
> another apricot (we hope it's a later-blooming one.)
>
> ;-(
> gloria p

Yeah, yeah, yeah. I had to turn the air conditioning on yesterday.
Inside temperatures rose to 81F in the late afternoon and it was 85F
outside. Today the unit hasn't run at all, overcast with a stiff wind
blowing. Here in SW Louisiana you don't like the weather, wait five
minutes and it will change.

OB: Took SIL to Richard's (Reechard's) cafe for lunch. He had the
catfish platter, I had crawfish etouffee on white rice with a small bowl
of potato salad and another of nice slaw.

George
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 10, 12:52*pm, Puester > wrote:
> It's April 10. *Spring flowers are in bloom. *The lupine,
> iris and day lilies are about 6 inches tall.
>
> The flowering and fruit trees are in bloom (You can see
> where this is going, can't you?) including our two mature
> apricot trees. *Leaves are emerging from buds on shade trees.
>
> We had many days in the low 70's in March.
>
> Today it is 30 degrees and SNOWING, with 6-8 inches forecast.
>
> Here we go, another year w/o home-grown apricots.
>
> I can't decide if it's fools not learning from former errors
> or hope springing eternal, but over the weekend we planted
> two cherry trees and another apricot (we hope it's a
> later-blooming one.)
>
> ;-(
> gloria p

Here, in the Pacific NW, we are looking at 70ish on Saturday. That
will be the nicest weather here this year so far! I can't wait, but
there's still plenty of time for the forecast to change!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Michael \"Dog3\" wrote:

> Puester > dropped this news:JduLj.167159
> : in rec.food.cooking
>

> > It's April 10. *Spring flowers are in bloom. *The lupine,
> > iris and day lilies are about 6 inches tall.

> > The flowering and fruit trees are in bloom (You can see
> > where this is going, can't you?) including our two mature
> > apricot trees. *Leaves are emerging from buds on shade trees.

> > We had many days in the low 70's in March.

> > Today it is 30 degrees and SNOWING, with 6-8 inches forecast.

> > Here we go, another year w/o home-grown apricots.

> > I can't decide if it's fools not learning from former errors
> > or hope springing eternal, but over the weekend we planted
> > two cherry trees and another apricot (we hope it's a
> > later-blooming one.)

> > ;-(
> > gloria p

> I don't have an ounce of pity for you. We haven't come close to 70
> degrees and we're getting yet another full day of rain. *I've now got 64
> plants in my garage which I've ordered from different nurseries and they
> have already been delivered. I can't plant them. *The ground is so wet I
> need hip boots to take the dog out for her walks. *The feral cat rarely
> leaves the garage.
>
> If all else fails, I've got to buy 64 peat pots in various sizes to at
> least get some of these plants into some fresh soil. *I'm not a happy
> camper.

Hey, I dig ya...it's currently about 40 degrees here in Chicawgo and
storming.

Usually by this time there is a *tiny* bit of green starting to show
on the trees and the grass, but everything is still Rust Belt mid -
winter UGLI. I've seen a very few tulips and such but they are in
POTS so that they can be brought inside during cold nights...

We are having our first "summer" cookout this Saturday, the forecast
is highs in the low 40's, rain and SNOW flurries [it's for a bunch of
birthdays, so really can't be postponed]. It will be fun huddled
around the grill cooking, lol. This weekend I'm making bean soup in
the crockpot, usually by this time I'm thinking of lighter fare...

Michael, I hope all your fuzzy pets are doing okay and that you get
yer gardening done EVENTUALLY...maybe just build a big "bio - dome"
for all that new nursery stock...don't forget the tilapia for the
pond, lol.

Don't forget, this is a drag for the farmers, too. They are ready to
start getting their crops in and it's still KRUMMY weather. Hope this
cold wet spring doesn't lead eventually to higher food prices...

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Puester" > wrote in message
> It's April 10. Spring flowers are in bloom. The lupine, iris and day
> lilies are about 6 inches tall.
>
> The flowering and fruit trees are in bloom (You can see where this is
> going, can't you?) including our two mature apricot trees. Leaves are
> emerging from buds on shade trees.

We are still enjoying the 70s weather with a nice breeze blowing. The
flowers around the trellis are exploding with blooms this year. I have no
clue what they are since they were planted by the owners before us but they
are very pretty.

Our garden is all in the ground, we did that last weekend. One of our tomato
plants has decided to bloom already. We haven't really had much of a winter
this year (though winter here means rainy season with 30s and 40s weather).
Our apricots are already in fruit. The pomegranate tree is in bloom too. I
guess there are things to be said about living in this part of California.

I do hope that your apricots don't all take a header with the new snow. I
could always over you some of ours if I can steal them from the birds, but
they probably wouldn't handled being shipped very well.

Cindi

> We had many days in the low 70's in March.
>
> Today it is 30 degrees and SNOWING, with 6-8 inches forecast.
>
> Here we go, another year w/o home-grown apricots.
>
> I can't decide if it's fools not learning from former errors or hope
> springing eternal, but over the weekend we planted two cherry trees and
> another apricot (we hope it's a later-blooming one.)
>
> ;-(
> gloria p

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Puester > wrote:

> I can't decide if it's fools not learning from former errors
> or hope springing eternal, but over the weekend we planted
> two cherry trees and another apricot (we hope it's a
> later-blooming one.)
>
> ;-(
> gloria p

My money's on the former. "-) Did you plant dwarf trees? They'll be
easier to put netting over to keep the birds out of the cherries.

I cry for sympathetic pain. White Shit (meteorological terminology)
here too comes. Ptooey! Ptooey! Ptooeyphooey!

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael "Dog3" wrote:
> Puester > dropped this news:JduLj.167159
> : in rec.food.cooking

>> Today it is 30 degrees and SNOWING, with 6-8 inches forecast.
>>

> I don't have an ounce of pity for you.

That's pretty harsh, Michael!

> We haven't come close to 70
> degrees and we're getting yet another full day of rain.

Hey, it's not MY fault! We don't even think about planting
annuals
here until at least June 1, and even then we keep our
fingers crossed for
about two weeks.

gp
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gregory Morrow wrote:

> Don't forget, this is a drag for the farmers, too. They are ready to
> start getting their crops in and it's still KRUMMY weather. Hope this
> cold wet spring doesn't lead eventually to higher food prices...

If it's not weather causing inflation, it will be something
else:

http://tinyurl.com/3m9sdl

gp
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Puester wrote:

> Gregory Morrow wrote:
>
> > Don't forget, this is a drag for the farmers, too. *They are ready to
> > start getting their crops in and it's still KRUMMY weather. *Hope this
> > cold wet spring doesn't lead eventually to higher food prices...

> If it's not weather causing inflation, it will be something
> else:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/3m9sdl

Interesting, Gloria, thanks. What will Walmart do...???

I grabbed this from another newsgroup. And the ABC evening nooze
tonight had a feature on "food inflation", e.g. rice up 147% in the
past year, dairy up 80%, etc. Poor people are rioting in Africa,
India, etc. And I'm surprised food here in the wealthy countries is
not a LOT higher:

"April 9 (Bloomberg) -- The U.S. vowed to supply the Philippines with
as much
rice as the world's biggest buyer of the cereal needs after some of
the
largest exporters cut sales to safeguard domestic stockpiles.

Rice, the staple food for half the world, has doubled in price in the
past
year as China, Egypt, Vietnam and India, representing more than a
third of
global shipments, reduced sales to secure domestic supplies. The price
of
the cereal in Chicago rose 1.7 percent today to $20.825 per 100
pounds,
below the record $21.60 per 100 pounds yesterday.

The Philippines is tightening controls over domestic sales and
boosting
overseas purchases to curb price rises and avoid the kind of unrest
experienced by some African countries. The government plans to buy
more rice
at tenders in April and May.

U.S. rice exports, the third largest behind those of Thailand and
Vietnam,
were forecast to jump 22 percent to 3.58 million tons in the year
ended July
31, the U.S. Department of Agriculture said March 11."

</>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Costs of food, was: Annual weather rant

Gregory Morrow wrote:
> Puester wrote:
>
>> Gregory Morrow wrote:
>>
>>> Don't forget, this is a drag for the farmers, too. They are ready to
>>> start getting their crops in and it's still KRUMMY weather. Hope this
>>> cold wet spring doesn't lead eventually to higher food prices...

>> If it's not weather causing inflation, it will be something
>> else:
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/3m9sdl

> Interesting, Gloria, thanks. What will Walmart do...???
>
> I grabbed this from another newsgroup. And the ABC evening nooze
> tonight had a feature on "food inflation", e.g. rice up 147% in the
> past year, dairy up 80%, etc. Poor people are rioting in Africa,
> India, etc. And I'm surprised food here in the wealthy countries is
> not a LOT higher:
>

> "April 9 (Bloomberg) -- The U.S. vowed to supply the Philippines with
> as much
> rice as the world's biggest buyer of the cereal needs after some of
> the
> largest exporters cut sales to safeguard domestic stockpiles.
>
> Rice, the staple food for half the world, has doubled in price in the
> past
> year as China, Egypt, Vietnam and India, representing more than a
> third of
> global shipments, reduced sales to secure domestic supplies. The price
> of
> the cereal in Chicago rose 1.7 percent today to $20.825 per 100
> pounds,
> below the record $21.60 per 100 pounds yesterday.
>
> The Philippines is tightening controls over domestic sales and
> boosting
> overseas purchases to curb price rises and avoid the kind of unrest
> experienced by some African countries. The government plans to buy
> more rice
> at tenders in April and May.
>
> U.S. rice exports, the third largest behind those of Thailand and
> Vietnam,
> were forecast to jump 22 percent to 3.58 million tons in the year
> ended July
> 31, the U.S. Department of Agriculture said March 11."
>
> </>

I live in rice growing country and have watched the acreage planted in
rice go down by about 75% since the mid-sixties. Government controls on
"allotments", control of acreage, price controls, etc pretty much doomed
the rice industry in Texas and Louisiana. It became more attractive for
the farmer to raise soybeans, sugar cane, and even crawfish.

Sugar cane went down for a long time due to other nations subsidizing
their cane crops and put ours out of business for many years. Cane has
made somewhat of a comeback but not as much as previously.

We're going to see the same thing with corn (maize) due to push/rush to
make ethanol for automotive purposes. You're doing to see basic prices
going up over the next ten years but we're still subsidizing many
farmers, particularly dairy with our tax dollars.

Don't buy gold as an inflation hedge, buy food.

George

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 10, 12:52 pm, Puester > wrote:
> It's April 10. Spring flowers are in bloom. The lupine,
> iris and day lilies are about 6 inches tall.
>
> The flowering and fruit trees are in bloom (You can see
> where this is going, can't you?) including our two mature
> apricot trees. Leaves are emerging from buds on shade trees.
>
> We had many days in the low 70's in March.
>
> Today it is 30 degrees and SNOWING, with 6-8 inches forecast.
>
> Here we go, another year w/o home-grown apricots.
>
> I can't decide if it's fools not learning from former errors
> or hope springing eternal, but over the weekend we planted
> two cherry trees and another apricot (we hope it's a
> later-blooming one.)

Alas, dear lady, I cry for you and the loss of futures on those early-
blooming trees.

Know, though, that the 70°F temperatures (forecast well into the 80s
for the weekend, and beautifully boring sunny skies) make me realize
every day in every way why I live where I do.

The Ranger
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Puester > wrote:

> Here we go, another year w/o home-grown apricots.

Our neighbor (if someone is there, the home was recently foreclosed) has
an enormous apricot tree that overhangs about a quarter circle above my
backyard. Bird pecked apricots rain down when my best friend, Late
Frost, doesn't appear to help me out. I think BF helped me this year,
but time will tell. I carry a couple hundred pounds of apricots to the
trash about once every five years. Finding one without a hole in it is a
losing proposition. And I like apricots.

leo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
> In article
> >,
> Puester > wrote:
>
>> Here we go, another year w/o home-grown apricots.

> Our neighbor (if someone is there, the home was recently foreclosed) has
> an enormous apricot tree that overhangs about a quarter circle above my
> backyard. Bird pecked apricots rain down when my best friend, Late
> Frost, doesn't appear to help me out. I think BF helped me this year,
> but time will tell. I carry a couple hundred pounds of apricots to the
> trash about once every five years. Finding one without a hole in it is a
> losing proposition. And I like apricots.
>
> leo

You need to drape a heavily fruited branch with netting or
even chicken
wire to keep the birds out.

The two or three years (in 24) when we have had a crop we
get enough so we
didn't mind sharing with the animals. Squirrels are much
more attracted to
our fruit than the birds are. The squirrels would run up the
trunk, pick an apricot,
then run down and over to a tall Ponderosa pine, run up the
pine eat, and drop the
pit before starting over. By the time the fruit was gone
there was quite a pile of
apricot pits under the pine tree.

The birds tend to prefer the grapes or tomatoes.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 11, 3:52*am, Puester > wrote:
> It's April 10. *Spring flowers are in bloom. *The lupine,
> iris and day lilies are about 6 inches tall.
>
> The flowering and fruit trees are in bloom (You can see
> where this is going, can't you?) including our two mature
> apricot trees. *Leaves are emerging from buds on shade trees.
>
> We had many days in the low 70's in March.
>
> Today it is 30 degrees and SNOWING, with 6-8 inches forecast.

Eek, that's about 1C, I don't want to leave home on the very rare
occasions that we get a morning where the temp gets that low.

Here downunder (latitude 31 degrees 58 minutes South) we are in the
second month of Autumn and the temperature today is 25C (77F). The
forecast for the weekend is 30 - 32C (86 - 89F).

JB

> Here we go, another year w/o home-grown apricots.
>
> I can't decide if it's fools not learning from former errors
> or hope springing eternal, but over the weekend we planted
> two cherry trees and another apricot (we hope it's a
> later-blooming one.)
>
> ;-(
> gloria p

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael "Dog3" wrote:
> Puester > dropped this news:JduLj.167159
> : in rec.food.cooking
>
>> It's April 10. Spring flowers are in bloom. The lupine,
>> iris and day lilies are about 6 inches tall.
>>
>> The flowering and fruit trees are in bloom (You can see
>> where this is going, can't you?) including our two mature
>> apricot trees. Leaves are emerging from buds on shade trees.
>>
>> We had many days in the low 70's in March.
>>
>> Today it is 30 degrees and SNOWING, with 6-8 inches forecast.
>>
>> Here we go, another year w/o home-grown apricots.
>>
>> I can't decide if it's fools not learning from former errors
>> or hope springing eternal, but over the weekend we planted
>> two cherry trees and another apricot (we hope it's a
>> later-blooming one.)
>>
>> ;-(
>> gloria p

> I don't have an ounce of pity for you. We haven't come close to 70
> degrees and we're getting yet another full day of rain. I've now got 64
> plants in my garage which I've ordered from different nurseries and they
> have already been delivered. I can't plant them. The ground is so wet I
> need hip boots to take the dog out for her walks. The feral cat rarely
> leaves the garage.
>
> If all else fails, I've got to buy 64 peat pots in various sizes to at
> least get some of these plants into some fresh soil. I'm not a happy
> camper.
>
> Michael

<BEG> It's 78 and party cloudy here in Naples </BEG>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Following up to George Shirley

> We're going to see the same thing with corn (maize) due to push/rush to
> make ethanol for automotive purposes. You're doing to see basic prices
> going up over the next ten years but we're still subsidizing many
> farmers, particularly dairy with our tax dollars.
>
> Don't buy gold as an inflation hedge, buy food.

and its going to keep going up as demand for a "western" diet increases,
forget the days of food surpluses. One day people will realise population
has to be stabilised.
--
"Mike....."(not "Mike")
remove clothing to email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Leonard Blaisdell > wrote:

> In article
> >,
> Puester > wrote:
>
> > Here we go, another year w/o home-grown apricots.

> Our neighbor (if someone is there, the home was recently foreclosed) has
> an enormous apricot tree that overhangs about a quarter circle above my
> backyard. Bird pecked apricots rain down when my best friend, Late
> Frost, doesn't appear to help me out. I think BF helped me this year,
> but time will tell. I carry a couple hundred pounds of apricots to the
> trash about once every five years. Finding one without a hole in it is a
> losing proposition. And I like apricots.
>
> leo

Well, there's bird-pecked apricots and there's spoiled and inedible
apricots. Which do you have, Leo?

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor
She's had good news! Hurrah!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Puester" > wrote in message
> It's April 10. Spring flowers are in bloom. The lupine, iris and day
> lilies are about 6 inches tall.
>
> The flowering and fruit trees are in bloom (You can see where this is
> going, can't you?) including our two mature apricot trees. Leaves are
> emerging from buds on shade trees.
>
> We had many days in the low 70's in March.
>
> Today it is 30 degrees and SNOWING, with 6-8 inches forecast.
>
> Here we go, another year w/o home-grown apricots.
>
> I can't decide if it's fools not learning from former errors or hope
> springing eternal, but over the weekend we planted two cherry trees and
> another apricot (we hope it's a later-blooming one.)
>
> ;-(
> gloria p

Where are you?

Jon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mike" wrote:
> George Shirley says:
> >
> > Don't buy gold as an inflation hedge, buy food.

> and its going to keep going up as demand for a "western" diet increases,

What's a western diet?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

George Shirley wrote:
> Puester wrote:
>> It's April 10. Spring flowers are in bloom. The lupine, iris and
>> day lilies are about 6 inches tall.
>>
>> The flowering and fruit trees are in bloom (You can see where this is
>> going, can't you?) including our two mature apricot trees. Leaves
>> are emerging from buds on shade trees.
>>
>> We had many days in the low 70's in March.
>>
>> Today it is 30 degrees and SNOWING, with 6-8 inches forecast.
>>
>> Here we go, another year w/o home-grown apricots.
>>
>> I can't decide if it's fools not learning from former errors or hope
>> springing eternal, but over the weekend we planted two cherry trees
>> and another apricot (we hope it's a later-blooming one.)
>>
>> ;-(
>> gloria p

> Yeah, yeah, yeah. I had to turn the air conditioning on yesterday.
> Inside temperatures rose to 81F in the late afternoon and it was 85F
> outside. Today the unit hasn't run at all, overcast with a stiff wind
> blowing. Here in SW Louisiana you don't like the weather, wait five
> minutes and it will change.

It's going to be 85 here in coastal SC today and got up to 80 yesterday
(inside and out!). I've *got* to convince my mother to turn on the AC! She
can wear a wool coat LOL

> OB: Took SIL to Richard's (Reechard's) cafe for lunch. He had the
> catfish platter, I had crawfish etouffee on white rice with a small
> bowl of potato salad and another of nice slaw.
>
> George

Sounds tasty! I'm not sure what to do about dinner today. I'm in a fish or
seafood sort of mood, at least at the moment.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 10, 3:52 pm, Puester > wrote:
> It's April 10. Spring flowers are in bloom. The lupine,
> iris and day lilies are about 6 inches tall.
>
> The flowering and fruit trees are in bloom (You can see
> where this is going, can't you?) including our two mature
> apricot trees. Leaves are emerging from buds on shade trees.
>
> We had many days in the low 70's in March.
>
> Today it is 30 degrees and SNOWING, with 6-8 inches forecast.
>
> Here we go, another year w/o home-grown apricots.
>
> I can't decide if it's fools not learning from former errors
> or hope springing eternal, but over the weekend we planted
> two cherry trees and another apricot (we hope it's a
> later-blooming one.)
>
> ;-(
> gloria p

How tall are your trees? Perhaps you could take an idea from the
Florida citrus farmers and purchase a smudge pot or three to surround
your trees. That, or if the trees are pruned low, you could try
covering them with tarps when the temperature is going low.

Of course, that won't help the bee union, since they only work when
it's dry, and between 55 and 85F

If any of the flowers survive the snow, get out your feather and
diddle the blossoms so you can get them pollinated.

maxine in ri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in
:

> It's going to be 85 here in coastal SC today

Stop it!!! I'll be lucky if it doesn't snow...temps on a good day this week
might reach 40F

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

A man in line at the bank kept falling over...when he got to a teller he
asked for his balance.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 19:24:26 -0500, George Shirley
> wrote:

>I live in rice growing country and have watched the acreage planted in
>rice go down by about 75% since the mid-sixties. Government controls on
>"allotments", control of acreage, price controls, etc pretty much doomed
>the rice industry in Texas and Louisiana. It became more attractive for
>the farmer to raise soybeans, sugar cane, and even crawfish.
>
>Sugar cane went down for a long time due to other nations subsidizing
>their cane crops and put ours out of business for many years. Cane has
>made somewhat of a comeback but not as much as previously.

i think you got the sugar thing backwards, george. the u.s lays heavy
tariffs on foreign sugar and lavishes subsidies on u.s. growers.
sugar prices in the u.s. are typically a generous multiple of the
world price.

"Of all the government’s farm-support programs, there are few as
egregious as the tangle of loans, quotas and import tariffs set up to
protect the well-connected club of American sugar producers at the
expense of American consumers and farmers in the developing world.
This year’s farm bill will add American taxpayers to the list of
casualties.

"Under the current system, the government guarantees a price floor for
sugar and limits the sugar supply — placing quotas on domestic
production and quotas and tariffs to limit imports. According to the
Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development, sugar supports
cost American consumers — who pay double the average world price —
more than $1.5 billion a year. The system also bars farmers in some of
the poorest countries of the world from selling their sugar here."

<http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/30/opinion/30tues2.html?_r=1&ref=opinion&oref=slogin>

this is one reason that high-fructose corn syrup is all over the
goddamn place.

the sugar subsidies are also a rich source of political corruption in
florida and elsewhere.

"Big Sugar is not the only beneficiary of this corporate welfare. The
farm bill is larded with subsidies and other rewards for agricultural
producers. The eagerness of members of Congress to please their sugar
daddies is not surprising. Campaign donations from the sugar industry
have topped $3 million in each of the last four political cycles.
American consumers and taxpayers, as well as poor farmers overseas,
shouldn’t have to pay the price." (ibid)

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 19:52:09 GMT, Puester >
wrote:

>It's April 10. Spring flowers are in bloom. The lupine,
>iris and day lilies are about 6 inches tall.
>
>The flowering and fruit trees are in bloom (You can see
>where this is going, can't you?) including our two mature
>apricot trees. Leaves are emerging from buds on shade trees.
>
>We had many days in the low 70's in March.
>
>Today it is 30 degrees and SNOWING, with 6-8 inches forecast.
>
>Here we go, another year w/o home-grown apricots.
>
>I can't decide if it's fools not learning from former errors
>or hope springing eternal, but over the weekend we planted
>two cherry trees and another apricot (we hope it's a
>later-blooming one.)
>
>;-(
>gloria p

I remember when we lived in Denver it snowed on the day before
Mother's Day.

Here in western NC last year we had 4 nights of 25 degree temperatures
over Easter weekend. Messed up our strawberries, broccoli, and
cabbage. To say nothing about the commercial peach and apple
orchards.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> Well, there's bird-pecked apricots and there's spoiled and inedible
> apricots. Which do you have, Leo?

Bird-pecked. They're spoiled and inedible if I wait too long to clear
them from the yard. I used to have a golden retriever that festooned his
fur with them if I didn't keep them cleaned up.
I have phobias of my ability to can/preserve, ticks and hydrofluoric
acid. Don't tell my enemies.
You would have a ball with my apricot rain. I think it's in early August.

leo

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Zeppo wrote:
> "Puester" > wrote in message
>> It's April 10. Spring flowers are in bloom. The lupine, iris and day
>> lilies are about 6 inches tall.
>>
>> The flowering and fruit trees are in bloom (You can see where this is
>> going, can't you?) including our two mature apricot trees. Leaves are
>> emerging from buds on shade trees.
>>
>> We had many days in the low 70's in March.
>>
>> Today it is 30 degrees and SNOWING, with 6-8 inches forecast.
>>
>> Here we go, another year w/o home-grown apricots.
>>

>> ;-(
>> gloria p

> Where are you?
>
> Jon

Colorado, southeast Denver suburbs, on the plains but 5800
feet altitude.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

maxine in ri wrote:

> How tall are your trees? Perhaps you could take an idea from the
> Florida citrus farmers and purchase a smudge pot or three to surround
> your trees. That, or if the trees are pruned low, you could try
> covering them with tarps when the temperature is going low.

About three years ago in early May DH spread a huge plastic
tarp over a PVC pipe frame he constructed on one of the trees
and ran my hairdryer out to it, draped over a branch and run on
high overnight. We had a frost and the tree came through it
really well. Three days later we uncovered it (because the HOA
was making tsk-tsk noises) and we found loads of blossoms.
That night it snowed a foot and they all froze solid.

> If any of the flowers survive the snow, get out your feather and
> diddle the blossoms so you can get them pollinated.

Ooooh, I don;'t know if I'd remember how to diddle,
but I'm willing to try. ;-)

Thanks for the advice. It's not a crisis but I would like
to get
a crop every five years or so. We planted the trees ~20 yrs.
ago and have had two bumper crops in that time. I usually
have to buy apricots (and pay about three times as much for
Colorado 'cots as Mme. Schaller does in Minneapolis fer
cripes sake.)

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

The Cook wrote:

> I remember when we lived in Denver it snowed on the day before
> Mother's Day.

It has snowed as late as June 6 and as early as Sept. 2 in the
24 years we have lived here. Granted the snow doesn't last
more than a few hours once the sun comes out, but it's
cold overnight when it snows!

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Puester" > wrote in message
> maxine in ri wrote:
>

>> How tall are your trees? Perhaps you could take an idea from the
>> Florida citrus farmers and purchase a smudge pot or three to surround
>> your trees. That, or if the trees are pruned low, you could try
>> covering them with tarps when the temperature is going low.

> About three years ago in early May DH spread a huge plastic
> tarp over a PVC pipe frame he constructed on one of the trees
> and ran my hairdryer out to it, draped over a branch and run on
> high overnight. We had a frost and the tree came through it
> really well. Three days later we uncovered it (because the HOA
> was making tsk-tsk noises) and we found loads of blossoms.
> That night it snowed a foot and they all froze solid.
>

>> If any of the flowers survive the snow, get out your feather and
>> diddle the blossoms so you can get them pollinated.
>>

> Ooooh, I don;'t know if I'd remember how to diddle,
> but I'm willing to try. ;-)
>
> Thanks for the advice. It's not a crisis but I would like to get
> a crop every five years or so. We planted the trees ~20 yrs.
> ago and have had two bumper crops in that time. I usually
> have to buy apricots (and pay about three times as much for
> Colorado 'cots as Mme. Schaller does in Minneapolis fer
> cripes sake.)
>
> gloria p

Snow in April is *normal* for Denver. Snow in May is a fairly regular
occurrence too.

Ms P

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 10:44:41 -0400, "jmcquown" >
wrote:

>It's going to be 85 here in coastal SC today and got up to 80 yesterday
>(inside and out!). I've *got* to convince my mother to turn on the AC! She
>can wear a wool coat LOL

The "refrigeration" man came yesterday.... I didn't know he was going
to show up and I was in the middle of a class. He set the room's
thermostat to 66 for heat and it *had* to be 4 degrees above that for
to cool. I sweat at an inside temp of 70.... but I said yes anyway -
because I had just a couple of seconds to make the decision. The
pressure was on.... what did I want to do? Turn on the heat more or
turn on the air conditioning more? I'm experiencing buyer's remorse
now. Today was beautiful and warm. The day he came was windy and
cold. Arrugh.

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smile first

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Puester wrote:
> maxine in ri wrote:
>

>> How tall are your trees? Perhaps you could take an idea from the
>> Florida citrus farmers and purchase a smudge pot or three to surround
>> your trees. That, or if the trees are pruned low, you could try
>> covering them with tarps when the temperature is going low.

> About three years ago in early May DH spread a huge plastic
> tarp over a PVC pipe frame he constructed on one of the trees
> and ran my hairdryer out to it, draped over a branch and run on
> high overnight. We had a frost and the tree came through it
> really well. Three days later we uncovered it (because the HOA
> was making tsk-tsk noises) and we found loads of blossoms.
> That night it snowed a foot and they all froze solid.
>

>> If any of the flowers survive the snow, get out your feather and
>> diddle the blossoms so you can get them pollinated.
>>

> Ooooh, I don;'t know if I'd remember how to diddle,
> but I'm willing to try. ;-)
>
> Thanks for the advice. It's not a crisis but I would like to get
> a crop every five years or so. We planted the trees ~20 yrs.
> ago and have had two bumper crops in that time. I usually
> have to buy apricots (and pay about three times as much for
> Colorado 'cots as Mme. Schaller does in Minneapolis fer
> cripes sake.)
>
> gloria p

It may be a little late to suggest this but you might try to find an
apricot that blooms and bears a little later than those you currently have.

George
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, "jmcquown" > wrote:
>George Shirley wrote:
>> Puester wrote:
>>> It's April 10. Spring flowers are in bloom. The lupine, iris and
>>> day lilies are about 6 inches tall.

It's autumn. The migrating birds have fled. The mangoes are long
gone and the grass is fast drying out.

Football is in season; fog is on the river at dawn; and it will soon
be too bloody cold for a tropical lad! (It'll be 6 months or so
before I'm whinging about the heat again. ;-)

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

The 12th Annual World Barista Championship is in full swing inBogota, Colombia, in conjunction with the ExpoEspeciales annual conferenceand exhibition hosted by the Colombian Coffee Growers Federation, June 2-5,2011 news Coffee 0 04-06-2011 06:48 AM
This Ng and What I don't get! RANT! ~patches~ General Cooking 287 04-04-2006 01:53 PM
OT ice rant The Bubbo General Cooking 91 29-01-2006 02:05 PM
Food TV Rant: Go Some Else for the best. Master Chef Richard Campbell Barbecue 25 11-06-2004 03:49 PM
A Rant donovan10 Wine 33 22-04-2004 11:48 PM