Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

Default Pulled Pork, what cut?

I'd like to make some pulled pork (not necessarily for barbeque/grill,
etc.), what cut of pork is best to use; shoulder, butt . .? It will get
cooked in the oven. TIA.

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 19:23:11 -0800, "Kent" > wrote:

>"Sky" > wrote in message
>> I'd like to make some pulled pork (not necessarily for barbeque/grill,
>> etc.), what cut of pork is best to use; shoulder, butt . .? It will get
>> cooked in the oven. TIA.
>>
>> Sky
>>

>Shoulder, shoulder, and shoulder
>
>Kent

Agree, agree and agree.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sky" > wrote in message
> I'd like to make some pulled pork (not necessarily for barbeque/grill,
> etc.), what cut of pork is best to use; shoulder, butt . .? It will get
> cooked in the oven. TIA.
>
> Sky

Shoulder, shoulder, and shoulder

Kent

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sky" > wrote in message
> I'd like to make some pulled pork (not necessarily for barbeque/grill,
> etc.), what cut of pork is best to use; shoulder, butt . .? It will get
> cooked in the oven. TIA.

Around here the choice is butt or picnic as you won't find a whole shoulder,
but either way works.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Reference a TV show

I just did this one on Wednesday.
It's from Alan Hardings show 'Cooking in Brooklyn'. One could safely cut
back on the garlic. And I like garlic. Also, not so much mustard in the
BBQ sauce. Too much mustard also makes the cole slau pretty nippy.

http://home.discovery.com/fansites/c...s/bbqpork.html

He used one whole boneless pork butt.
I used a shoulder (same?) and I also used a thermometer instead of going 3.5
hours in the aluminum tent and 30 minutes uncovered at 325 degrees. My
thermometer rang after 2 hours, 45 minutes. (166 F). Whew, alot of garlic.
He also has a terrific recipe for BBQ ribs, using an oven. Recipe is on the
same show. I made them once and a friend chef and his wife said they were
the best ribs they ever ate. And I'm a amateur. Trouble is everytime I try
one of his recipes, I'm out about $12 for herbs and/or spices.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sky" > wrote in message
> I'd like to make some pulled pork (not necessarily for barbeque/grill,
> etc.), what cut of pork is best to use; shoulder, butt . .? It will get
> cooked in the oven. TIA.

Pork butt or picnic. The whole shoulder is made up of the butt and the
picnic.

I sometimes like to make pulled pork with a fresh, uncured ham. It has a
different texture and tastes a little different, but it's good too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 23:05:35 -0500, "Lee" > wrote:

>"Sky" > wrote in message
>> I'd like to make some pulled pork (not necessarily for barbeque/grill,
>> etc.), what cut of pork is best to use; shoulder, butt . .? It will get
>> cooked in the oven. TIA.

>Pork butt or picnic. The whole shoulder is made up of the butt and the
>picnic.
>
>I sometimes like to make pulled pork with a fresh, uncured ham. It has a
>different texture and tastes a little different, but it's good too.

I love those. Even uncured it still has a bit of a ham taste and
texture.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sky wrote:
> I'd like to make some pulled pork (not necessarily for barbeque/grill,
> etc.), what cut of pork is best to use; shoulder, butt . .? It will
> get cooked in the oven. TIA.

The butt is a good way to go. I prefer boned-in than boneless.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message
. net...

> "Sky" > wrote in message
>> I'd like to make some pulled pork (not necessarily for barbeque/grill,
>> etc.), what cut of pork is best to use; shoulder, butt . .? It will get
>> cooked in the oven. TIA.
>>

> Around here the choice is butt or picnic as you won't find a whole
> shoulder, but either way works.

Lordy, me -- I bought a butt (Neiman brand) a few months ago and it stunk so
bad I couldn't eat it. DH thought it was good and nothing wrong with it. I
followed some posters' advice and got thru making it all in a couple of
different dishes -- I spiced it up while cooking so I couldn't smell it.

I wonder why some might choose pulled pork vs. pulled beef. It's pulled
beef for me from now on.

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sky" > wrote in message
> I'd like to make some pulled pork (not necessarily for barbeque/grill,
> etc.), what cut of pork is best to use; shoulder, butt . .? It will get
> cooked in the oven. TIA.

Butt, shoulder or picnic - it all works.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dee.Dee wrote:
> "Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> . net...
>>
>> "Sky" > wrote in message
>>> I'd like to make some pulled pork (not necessarily for
>>> barbeque/grill, etc.), what cut of pork is best to use; shoulder,
>>> butt . .? It will get cooked in the oven. TIA.
>>>

>> Around here the choice is butt or picnic as you won't find a whole
>> shoulder, but either way works.

> Lordy, me -- I bought a butt (Neiman brand) a few months ago and it
> stunk so bad I couldn't eat it.

That's normal for a cryovac packaging. A good rinse of water and a few
minutes of time out of the package gets rid of the odor.

> DH thought it was good and nothing
> wrong with it.

He was right :-)

> I followed some posters' advice and got thru making
> it all in a couple of different dishes -- I spiced it up while
> cooking so I couldn't smell it.
> I wonder why some might choose pulled pork vs. pulled beef. It's
> pulled beef for me from now on.

Different levels of collagen. Beef usually is extremely dry if it gets to
the 'pullable' stage.
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 20:20:13 -0800, "Dave Bugg" >
wrote:

>Sky wrote:
>> I'd like to make some pulled pork (not necessarily for barbeque/grill,
>> etc.), what cut of pork is best to use; shoulder, butt . .? It will
>> get cooked in the oven. TIA.

>The butt is a good way to go. I prefer boned-in than boneless.

Then you have the bone for soup too!! Sometimes I'll toss the bone
in the crockpot with some pintos. First time I did it I was amazed by
how much smoke flavor was actually in the bone. The beans are always
great that way.

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Bugg" > wrote in message
> Dee.Dee wrote:
>> "Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message
>> . net...

>>> Around here the choice is butt or picnic as you won't find a whole
>>> shoulder, but either way works.

>> Lordy, me -- I bought a butt (Neiman brand) a few months ago and it
>> stunk so bad I couldn't eat it.

> That's normal for a cryovac packaging. A good rinse of water and a few
> minutes of time out of the package gets rid of the odor.

No, it was a 'piece/hunk' that the butcher (Whole Foods) brought out from
behind, showed me and asked me if I wanted that size. It certainly was
riddled with fat.

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Sky > wrote:

> I'd like to make some pulled pork (not necessarily for barbeque/grill,
> etc.), what cut of pork is best to use; shoulder, butt . .? It will get
> cooked in the oven. TIA.
>
> Sky

Pork butt roast. It's from the shoulder. Go figure.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Notes about our meals in Tuscany have been posted to
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"kilikini" > wrote in message
> Dave Bugg wrote:
>> Sky wrote:
>>> I'd like to make some pulled pork (not necessarily for
>>> barbeque/grill, etc.), what cut of pork is best to use; shoulder,
>>> butt . .? It will get cooked in the oven. TIA.

>> The butt is a good way to go. I prefer boned-in than boneless.

> We like the bone-in, too. :~)
>
> Wait, that didn't sound right. Hummmm.
>
> kili

Tee-Hee-Hee
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Lou Decruss" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 20:20:13 -0800, "Dave Bugg" >
> wrote:
>
>>Sky wrote:
>>> I'd like to make some pulled pork (not necessarily for barbeque/grill,
>>> etc.), what cut of pork is best to use; shoulder, butt . .? It will
>>> get cooked in the oven. TIA.

>>The butt is a good way to go. I prefer boned-in than boneless.

> Then you have the bone for soup too!! Sometimes I'll toss the bone
> in the crockpot with some pintos. First time I did it I was amazed by
> how much smoke flavor was actually in the bone. The beans are always
> great that way.
>
> Lou

Add a tablespoon of vinegar and it will pull out the calcium from the bone
into your broth.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sky wrote:
> I'd like to make some pulled pork (not necessarily for barbeque/grill,
> etc.), what cut of pork is best to use; shoulder, butt . .? It will get
> cooked in the oven. TIA.
>
> Sky

A fresh "picnic" (front leg) if you can find it.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 10, 8:59*pm, Sky > wrote:
> I'd like to make some pulled pork (not necessarily for barbeque/grill,
> etc.), what cut of pork is best to use; shoulder, butt . .? *It will get
> cooked in the oven. *TIA.
>
> Sky
>
> --
> Ultra Ultimate Kitchen Rule - Use the Timer!
> Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice

Around here, the pork shoulder cut is known as the "Boston butt."

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dee.Dee wrote:
> "Dave Bugg" > wrote in message
>> Dee.Dee wrote:
>>> "Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message
>>> . net...

>>> Lordy, me -- I bought a butt (Neiman brand) a few months ago and it
>>> stunk so bad I couldn't eat it.

>> That's normal for a cryovac packaging. A good rinse of water and a
>> few minutes of time out of the package gets rid of the odor.
>>

> No, it was a 'piece/hunk' that the butcher (Whole Foods) brought out
> from behind, showed me and asked me if I wanted that size. It
> certainly was riddled with fat.

The butcher pulled it from a cryovac, Dee. And pork butt is well marbled,
and has a large fat cap. After 16 hours in the pit (or oven) most of that
fat has rendered out and the meat is extremely succulent.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >,
> Sky > wrote:
>
>> I'd like to make some pulled pork (not necessarily for
>> barbeque/grill, etc.), what cut of pork is best to use; shoulder,
>> butt . .? It will get cooked in the oven. TIA.
>>
>> Sky

> Pork butt roast. It's from the shoulder. Go figure.

:-) The butt is the thick, or butt-end, of the shoulder.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Bugg" > wrote in message
> Dee.Dee wrote:

>>> That's normal for a cryovac packaging. A good rinse of water and a
>>> few minutes of time out of the package gets rid of the odor.
>>>

>> No, it was a 'piece/hunk' that the butcher (Whole Foods) brought out
>> from behind, showed me and asked me if I wanted that size. It
>> certainly was riddled with fat.

> The butcher pulled it from a cryovac, Dee. And pork butt is well marbled,
> and has a large fat cap. After 16 hours in the pit (or oven) most of that
> fat has rendered out and the meat is extremely succulent.
>

>> Dee Dee

> --
> Dave
> www.davebbq.com

Do you mean that most of the meat that is sold at WF (I realize that you
don't KNOW that) has been cryovac'd? I'm trying to figure out why you say
that.
Thanks.
Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 10:05:34 -0500, "Dee.Dee" >
wrote:

>"Lou Decruss" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 20:20:13 -0800, "Dave Bugg" >
>> wrote:

>>>The butt is a good way to go. I prefer boned-in than boneless.

>> Then you have the bone for soup too!! Sometimes I'll toss the bone
>> in the crockpot with some pintos. First time I did it I was amazed by
>> how much smoke flavor was actually in the bone. The beans are always
>> great that way.
>>
>> Lou

>Add a tablespoon of vinegar and it will pull out the calcium from the bone
>into your broth.
>Dee Dee

Never heard that. I wonder if it would break the beans down faster
too?

Lou <---wondering if this should be in that farting thread?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Lou Decruss" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 10:05:34 -0500, "Dee.Dee" >
> wrote:
>

>>"Lou Decruss" > wrote in message
. ..

>>> Then you have the bone for soup too!! Sometimes I'll toss the bone
>>> in the crockpot with some pintos. First time I did it I was amazed by
>>> how much smoke flavor was actually in the bone. The beans are always
>>> great that way.
>>>
>>> Lou

>>Add a tablespoon of vinegar and it will pull out the calcium from the bone
>>into your broth.
>>Dee Dee

> Never heard that. I wonder if it would break the beans down faster
> too?
>

> Lou <---wondering if this should be in that farting thread?

Depending on whether we are talking about breaking down the beans during
cooking, or after ingestion? ;-))
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dee.Dee wrote:

> Do you mean that most of the meat that is sold at WF (I realize that
> you don't KNOW that) has been cryovac'd? I'm trying to figure out
> why you say that.

Unless they take delivery of fresh whole hogs and have their own in-house
butcher shop within the meat department, then I would expect that is the
case. Cryovac is the standard method of packaging from the packing houses to
the distributors to the retailers.
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 16:18:45 -0500, "Dee.Dee" >
wrote:

>>>Add a tablespoon of vinegar and it will pull out the calcium from the bone
>>>into your broth.
>>>Dee Dee

>> Never heard that. I wonder if it would break the beans down faster
>> too?
>>

>> Lou <---wondering if this should be in that farting thread?

>Depending on whether we are talking about breaking down the beans during
>cooking, or after ingestion? ;-))
>Dee Dee

LOL

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Bugg > wrote:

>Dee.Dee wrote:

>> Do you mean that most of the meat that is sold at WF (I realize that
>> you don't KNOW that) has been cryovac'd? I'm trying to figure out
>> why you say that.

>Unless they take delivery of fresh whole hogs and have their own in-house
>butcher shop within the meat department, then I would expect that is the
>case. Cryovac is the standard method of packaging from the packing houses to
>the distributors to the retailers.

WF's position is its meat is not commercial industrial grade meat.

Whether that means it's less likely to have been cyrovac'ed, I'm
not sure. They tend not to say exactly where it comes from.
Unlike Dee's experience the WF's around here do not sell Niman, last
I checked.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Bugg" > wrote in message
> Dee.Dee wrote:
>
>> Do you mean that most of the meat that is sold at WF (I realize that
>> you don't KNOW that) has been cryovac'd? I'm trying to figure out
>> why you say that.

> Unless they take delivery of fresh whole hogs and have their own in-house
> butcher shop within the meat department, then I would expect that is the
> case. Cryovac is the standard method of packaging from the packing houses
> to the distributors to the retailers.
> --
> Dave
> www.davebbq.com

Let me see if I am getting this. (Niman Ranch in this case) A large animal
raising farm would probably send their animals off site to be butchered.
This site would probably butcher it and pack it in cryovac and then
distribute it.

Cryovac packages are those packages of meat (weighing 20# or so) that I see
in Costco -- a vacuumed-type package? When the butcher came out with this
piece of meat, it must've been already cleaned up - it wasn't messy.

Thanks.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Pope wrote:
> Dave Bugg > wrote:
>
>> Dee.Dee wrote:

>>> Do you mean that most of the meat that is sold at WF (I realize that
>>> you don't KNOW that) has been cryovac'd? I'm trying to figure out
>>> why you say that.

>> Unless they take delivery of fresh whole hogs and have their own
>> in-house butcher shop within the meat department, then I would
>> expect that is the case. Cryovac is the standard method of packaging
>> from the packing houses to the distributors to the retailers.

> WF's position is its meat is not commercial industrial grade meat.

Neither is what I use. But it comes in 60 to 90 pound cases from which ever
packer I use.

> Whether that means it's less likely to have been cyrovac'ed, I'm
> not sure.

Not really, Steve. It's just one of the best ways to ship and distribute
meat. Now, I'm not saying that this is what WF does, I'm just saying what is
standard throughout the distribution system. Even Costco, who acts as their
own distributor and who uses good quality packers, ships meat the same way.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

kilikini wrote:

> Dave Bugg wrote:
> > Sky wrote:
> >> I'd like to make some pulled pork (not necessarily for
> >> barbeque/grill, etc.), what cut of pork is best to use; shoulder,
> >> butt . .? It will get cooked in the oven. TIA.

> > The butt is a good way to go. I prefer boned-in than boneless.

> We like the bone-in, too. :~)
>
> Wait, that didn't sound right. Hummmm.
>
> kili

Kili - you're a riot!

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

Dave Bugg wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > In article >,
> > Sky > wrote:
> >
> >> I'd like to make some pulled pork (not necessarily for
> >> barbeque/grill, etc.), what cut of pork is best to use; shoulder,
> >> butt . .? It will get cooked in the oven. TIA.
> >>
> >> Sky

> > Pork butt roast. It's from the shoulder. Go figure.

> :-) The butt is the thick, or butt-end, of the shoulder.
>
> --
> Dave
> www.davebbq.com

Ahah!!! Now that explanation makes sense why it's called a "butt," 'BUT'
<vbg> what would the hind quarters of the pig be called then???

Sky, who probably forgot, again!

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dee.Dee wrote:
> "Dave Bugg" > wrote in message
>> Dee.Dee wrote:
>>
>>> Do you mean that most of the meat that is sold at WF (I realize that
>>> you don't KNOW that) has been cryovac'd? I'm trying to figure out
>>> why you say that.

>> Unless they take delivery of fresh whole hogs and have their own
>> in-house butcher shop within the meat department, then I would
>> expect that is the case. Cryovac is the standard method of packaging
>> from the packing houses to the distributors to the retailers.
>> --
>> Dave
>> www.davebbq.com

> Let me see if I am getting this. (Niman Ranch in this case) A large
> animal raising farm

Basically they have the same type of ranching operation as a lot of growers.

> would probably send their animals off site to be
> butchered.

That is likely.

> This site would probably butcher it and pack it in
> cryovac

Yes. For restaurants, their are other means of delivery.

> and then distribute it.

Actually the meat processor sells the product to a distributor. Now to
further confuse the issue, there are national distributors, regional
distributors, and interstate distributors. McDonalds and Costco are examples
of two companies that have the purchasing power to buy from the packing
houses directly and act as their own national distributor.

> Cryovac packages are those packages of meat (weighing 20# or so) that
> I see in Costco -- a vacuumed-type package?

Yes, that's the type of package. But cryovac is also used on smaller
packages as well. The meat you see displayed in the meat counter, or on foam
trays in the meat cooler, are pulled out of cryovac packages and repackaged
by the store.

Now, I don't know WF. I don't know if they can bring in carcasses and
butcher them up for packaging or not. But what I described is how Costco,
Albertsons, Fred Myers, Top Foods, etc do theirs.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Bugg" > wrote in message
> Dee.Dee wrote:

>>> Unless they take delivery of fresh whole hogs and have their own
>>> in-house butcher shop within the meat department, then I would
>>> expect that is the case. Cryovac is the standard method of packaging
>>> from the packing houses to the distributors to the retailers.
>>> --
>>> Dave
>>> www.davebbq.com

>> Let me see if I am getting this. (Niman Ranch in this case) A large
>> animal raising farm

> Basically they have the same type of ranching operation as a lot of
> growers.
>
>> would probably send their animals off site to be
>> butchered.

> That is likely.
>
>> This site would probably butcher it and pack it in
>> cryovac

> Yes. For restaurants, their are other means of delivery.
>
>> and then distribute it.

> Actually the meat processor sells the product to a distributor. Now to
> further confuse the issue, there are national distributors, regional
> distributors, and interstate distributors. McDonalds and Costco are
> examples of two companies that have the purchasing power to buy from the
> packing houses directly and act as their own national distributor.
>
>> Cryovac packages are those packages of meat (weighing 20# or so) that
>> I see in Costco -- a vacuumed-type package?

> Yes, that's the type of package. But cryovac is also used on smaller
> packages as well. The meat you see displayed in the meat counter, or on
> foam trays in the meat cooler, are pulled out of cryovac packages and
> repackaged by the store.
>
> Now, I don't know WF. I don't know if they can bring in carcasses and
> butcher them up for packaging or not. But what I described is how Costco,
> Albertsons, Fred Myers, Top Foods, etc do theirs.
>
> --
> Dave
> www.davebbq.com

Thanks for taking the time, Dave.
My appreciation.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dee.Dee wrote:

> Thanks for taking the time, Dave.
> My appreciation.

You're welcome, Dee.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 23:47:20 -0500, "Dee.Dee" >
wrote:

>"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message
.net...

>> "Sky" > wrote in message
>>> I'd like to make some pulled pork (not necessarily for barbeque/grill,
>>> etc.), what cut of pork is best to use; shoulder, butt . .? It will get
>>> cooked in the oven. TIA.
>>>

>> Around here the choice is butt or picnic as you won't find a whole
>> shoulder, but either way works.

>Lordy, me -- I bought a butt (Neiman brand) a few months ago and it stunk so
>bad I couldn't eat it. DH thought it was good and nothing wrong with it. I
>followed some posters' advice and got thru making it all in a couple of
>different dishes -- I spiced it up while cooking so I couldn't smell it.
>
>I wonder why some might choose pulled pork vs. pulled beef. It's pulled
>beef for me from now on.

My first reaction was that you must have been either a city girl or a
rich girl growing up to prefer beef over pork... my grandmother told
me that pork and chicken were more common than beef as table meat
(because they matured faster), at least on the farm, before the 40's.

My other reaction was that I've eaten the Hawaiian version of pulled
pork and it did not impress me. However, I like carnitas (which I
consider Mexican pulled pork) and I think I'd probably like southern
style pulled pork - but I've never eaten it. If I have eaten southern
style pulled pork, I wasn't aware of it... my BIL is from Alabama and
he certainly did a lot of pit smoking (in a fancy modified oil drum)
when our kids were little, but I can't remember him waxing eloquent
about pulled pork. I also like the cheapest chuck roast when it has
been cooked to the point that it shreds easily, but I can't recall
eating it after it was cooked in a pit smoker.

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smiley face first
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 09:47:01 -0800, "Dave Bugg" >
wrote:

>The butcher pulled it from a cryovac, Dee. And pork butt is well marbled,
>and has a large fat cap. After 16 hours in the pit (or oven) most of that
>fat has rendered out and the meat is extremely succulent.

Daymn, Dave.... you're making my mouth water.

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smiley face first

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 15:59:10 -0500, "Dee.Dee" >
wrote:

>"Dave Bugg" > wrote in message

>> The butcher pulled it from a cryovac, Dee. And pork butt is well marbled,
>> and has a large fat cap. After 16 hours in the pit (or oven) most of that
>> fat has rendered out and the meat is extremely succulent.
>>

>>> Dee Dee

>> --
>> Dave
>> www.davebbq.com

>Do you mean that most of the meat that is sold at WF (I realize that you
>don't KNOW that) has been cryovac'd? I'm trying to figure out why you say
>that.

Dee... think back to how it was to go to ANY butcher counter in a
grocery store (which we called a *supermarket* back in those days).
Don't you remember custom ordering? The butcher would bring out the
whole piece and you'd tell him how thick you wanted it cut. This was
in the middle of nowhere Michigan, so it must have been happening
elsewhere at the time too.

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smiley face first
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 05:03:04 -0500, "kilikini"
> wrote:

>Dave Bugg wrote:
>> Sky wrote:
>>> I'd like to make some pulled pork (not necessarily for
>>> barbeque/grill, etc.), what cut of pork is best to use; shoulder,
>>> butt . .? It will get cooked in the oven. TIA.

>> The butt is a good way to go. I prefer boned-in than boneless.

>We like the bone-in, too. :~)
>
>Wait, that didn't sound right. Hummmm.

You know what the Big Bopper said....
"Oh, baby you know what I like!"

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smiley face first
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 09:47:01 -0800, "Dave Bugg" >
> wrote:
>
>> The butcher pulled it from a cryovac, Dee. And pork butt is well
>> marbled, and has a large fat cap. After 16 hours in the pit (or
>> oven) most of that fat has rendered out and the meat is extremely
>> succulent.

> Daymn, Dave.... you're making my mouth water.

It's Dee Dee's fault :-)

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

<sf> wrote in message ...

>>Lordy, me -- I bought a butt (Neiman brand) a few months ago and it stunk
>>so
>>bad I couldn't eat it. DH thought it was good and nothing wrong with it.
>>followed some posters' advice and got thru making it all in a couple of
>>different dishes -- I spiced it up while cooking so I couldn't smell it.
>>
>>I wonder why some might choose pulled pork vs. pulled beef. It's pulled
>>beef for me from now on.

My first reaction was that you must have been either a city girl or a
> rich girl growing up to prefer beef over pork... my grandmother told
> me that pork and chicken were more common than beef as table meat
> (because they matured faster), at least on the farm, before the 40's.

Rich girl -- city girl -- totally opposite on both counts.
I've fed the pigs lots of times, family butchered hogs, smoked hams, made
sausage, etc. I've seen it all happen.
Pork was the main meat for two farms; cows were used for milk. One
aunt/uncle raised beef and canned it as well.

> My other reaction was that I've eaten the Hawaiian version of pulled
> pork and it did not impress me. However, I like carnitas (which I
> consider Mexican pulled pork) and I think I'd probably like southern
> style pulled pork - but I've never eaten it. If I have eaten southern
> style pulled pork, I wasn't aware of it... my BIL is from Alabama and
> he certainly did a lot of pit smoking (in a fancy modified oil drum)
> when our kids were little, but I can't remember him waxing eloquent
> about pulled pork. I also like the cheapest chuck roast when it has
> been cooked to the point that it shreds easily, but I can't recall
> eating it after it was cooked in a pit smoker.

I've never ever gone out of my way to eat pork, but DH and I ate at the big
WF in Fairfax and ordered their everything-plate. Pulled pork, barbecue --
can't remember, but there were 5 styles of pork --I can't remember pork ever
being so good. Perhaps this is what inspired me to buy a butt there.
Obviously I don't have the years of expertise to cook pulled pork correctly,
but I wanted to try it. It was the same meat (Niman Ranch) that they used
for their everything-plate.

I drank a lot of beer with it, and had a horrendous stomach ache on the 70
miles drive home. Over-ate.

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

<sf> wrote in message ...
> On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 15:59:10 -0500, "Dee.Dee" >
> wrote:
>

>>"Dave Bugg" > wrote in message

>>> The butcher pulled it from a cryovac, Dee. And pork butt is well
>>> marbled,
>>> and has a large fat cap. After 16 hours in the pit (or oven) most of
>>> that
>>> fat has rendered out and the meat is extremely succulent.

>>> --
>>> Dave
>>> www.davebbq.com

>>Do you mean that most of the meat that is sold at WF (I realize that you
>>don't KNOW that) has been cryovac'd? I'm trying to figure out why you say
>>that.

> Dee... think back to how it was to go to ANY butcher counter in a
> grocery store (which we called a *supermarket* back in those days).
> Don't you remember custom ordering? The butcher would bring out the
> whole piece and you'd tell him how thick you wanted it cut. This was
> in the middle of nowhere Michigan, so it must have been happening
> elsewhere at the time too.

They do this at WF now. This is what they did when I bought the butt, they
brought out the butt for my inspection.
Dee Dee