Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf[_3_] sf[_3_] is offline

Default Pulled Pork, what cut?

On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 23:47:20 -0500, "Dee.Dee" >
wrote:

>"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message
.net...

>> "Sky" > wrote in message
>>> I'd like to make some pulled pork (not necessarily for barbeque/grill,
>>> etc.), what cut of pork is best to use; shoulder, butt . .? It will get
>>> cooked in the oven. TIA.
>>>

>> Around here the choice is butt or picnic as you won't find a whole
>> shoulder, but either way works.

>Lordy, me -- I bought a butt (Neiman brand) a few months ago and it stunk so
>bad I couldn't eat it. DH thought it was good and nothing wrong with it. I
>followed some posters' advice and got thru making it all in a couple of
>different dishes -- I spiced it up while cooking so I couldn't smell it.
>
>I wonder why some might choose pulled pork vs. pulled beef. It's pulled
>beef for me from now on.

My first reaction was that you must have been either a city girl or a
rich girl growing up to prefer beef over pork... my grandmother told
me that pork and chicken were more common than beef as table meat
(because they matured faster), at least on the farm, before the 40's.

My other reaction was that I've eaten the Hawaiian version of pulled
pork and it did not impress me. However, I like carnitas (which I
consider Mexican pulled pork) and I think I'd probably like southern
style pulled pork - but I've never eaten it. If I have eaten southern
style pulled pork, I wasn't aware of it... my BIL is from Alabama and
he certainly did a lot of pit smoking (in a fancy modified oil drum)
when our kids were little, but I can't remember him waxing eloquent
about pulled pork. I also like the cheapest chuck roast when it has
been cooked to the point that it shreds easily, but I can't recall
eating it after it was cooked in a pit smoker.

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smiley face first