Old 15-11-2007, 05:37 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Pulled Pork -- what to do with already cooked pork with no spices added

Yesterday I bought a 4 lb. piece of pork butt - Niman Ranch -- at Whole
Foods in Baltimore for pulled pork. They gave me enough ice to get me home,
but I didn't get home until the meat registered (on infrared therm) about
57-60 degrees. I immediately (at 8:45 pm) put it in a heavy cast-iron
enameled pot with 4 oz water, turned on the oven to 225 and let it go until
6:15 this morning. It registered 210F + -- DH reported.

It fell off the fork a little getting it onto a plate/dish to refrigerate.

As I didn't have time last night to do anything regarding spices, this meat
is devoid of any flavor with the exception of the meat itself, of course.

Any suggestions as to what to do now?

Open to all comments :-) Thanks.
Dee Dee

Old 15-11-2007, 06:16 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Dee.Dee wrote:
Yesterday I bought a 4 lb. piece of pork butt - Niman Ranch -- at
Whole Foods in Baltimore for pulled pork. They gave me enough ice to
get me home, but I didn't get home until the meat registered (on
infrared therm) about 57-60 degrees. I immediately (at 8:45 pm) put
it in a heavy cast-iron enameled pot with 4 oz water, turned on the
oven to 225 and let it go until 6:15 this morning. It registered
210F + -- DH reported.
It fell off the fork a little getting it onto a plate/dish to
refrigerate.
As I didn't have time last night to do anything regarding spices,
this meat is devoid of any flavor with the exception of the meat
itself, of course.
Any suggestions as to what to do now?

Open to all comments :-) Thanks.
Dee Dee

Try this:

1cup apple cider vinegar
1cup white vinegar
1cup white sugar
1cup brown sugar
1/4 cup yellow mustard
1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste

Mix well together. Each person can sprinkle it on their pork to taste. I
will mix a bit into the entire mound of puleed pork and mix together.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Old 15-11-2007, 06:24 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dee.Dee" schrieb im Newsbeitrag

Yesterday I bought a 4 lb. piece of pork butt - Niman Ranch -- at Whole Foods
in Baltimore for pulled pork. They gave me enough ice to get me home, but I
didn't get home until the meat registered (on infrared therm) about 57-60
degrees. I immediately (at 8:45 pm) put it in a heavy cast-iron enameled
pot with 4 oz water, turned on the oven to 225 and let it go until 6:15 this
morning. It registered 210F + -- DH reported.

It fell off the fork a little getting it onto a plate/dish to refrigerate.

As I didn't have time last night to do anything regarding spices, this meat is
devoid of any flavor with the exception of the meat itself, of course.

Any suggestions as to what to do now?

Open to all comments :-) Thanks.
Dee Dee

Serve in slices (slightly nuke them, if you want them warm)
with salt and pepper and sourdough bread.
To spice things up a little, serve with

a) apple-horse-radish-sauce
Peel three apples, finely grate them, mix with lemon juice, salt,
sugar and at least 2 table spoons of grated horse-radish.
b) cranberry-horseraddish sauce
2 table spoons horse-radish, grated
4 table spoons cranberry jam or sauce
2 table spoons mustard
lemon juice
salt
1/8 litre whipped cream

Mix cranberry jam, horse-radish and mustard well.
Add lemon juice and salt to taste.
Now carefully stir in the whipped cream.

Cheers,

Michael Kuettner

Old 15-11-2007, 07:04 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Michael Kuettner" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks, Michael -- I have some sourdough -- That's pretty simple for me to
do ;-)))
Dee Dee

Old 15-11-2007, 08:19 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Dee.Dee schrieb :

Thanks, Michael -- I have some sourdough -- That's pretty simple for me to do
;-)))

You're welcome.
It's a fast meal with a fruity flavour (to compensate for the underspiced
pork).

Cheers,

Michael Kuettner

Old 15-11-2007, 10:59 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dee.Dee" wrote in message

Yesterday I bought a 4 lb. piece of pork butt - Niman Ranch -- at Whole
Foods in Baltimore for pulled pork. They gave me enough ice to get me
home, but I didn't get home until the meat registered (on infrared therm)
about 57-60 degrees. I immediately (at 8:45 pm) put it in a heavy
cast-iron enameled pot with 4 oz water, turned on the oven to 225 and let
it go until 6:15 this morning. It registered 210F + -- DH reported.

It fell off the fork a little getting it onto a plate/dish to refrigerate.

As I didn't have time last night to do anything regarding spices, this
meat is devoid of any flavor with the exception of the meat itself, of
course.

Any suggestions as to what to do now?

Open to all comments :-) Thanks.
Dee Dee

We just smoked a big shoulder, ended up with a nice batch of pulled pork. We
had sandwiches the first night, with a little vinegar/pepper sauce and some
cole slaw. To the rest of it, we added our homemade chili sauce from our
heirloom chili garden, then used it to fill tomales. My partner made about
75 tomales, most of which went into the freezer for Christmas, but we ate a
bunch of them at lunch today. Mmmmm. He doesn't usually cook much but he
seems to be in a mood this week--he made a huge cheesecake today, it should
be chilled and ready to slice after dinner tonight Nice to have someone
else cook---well--for you every once in a while!
Cheers-
Mo

Old 15-11-2007, 11:36 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mo" wrote in message

We just smoked a big shoulder, ended up with a nice batch of pulled pork.
We had sandwiches the first night, with a little vinegar/pepper sauce and
some cole slaw. To the rest of it, we added our homemade chili sauce from
our heirloom chili garden, then used it to fill tomales. My partner made
about 75 tomales, most of which went into the freezer for Christmas, but
we ate a bunch of them at lunch today. Mmmmm. He doesn't usually cook much
but he seems to be in a mood this week--he made a huge cheesecake today,
it should be chilled and ready to slice after dinner tonight Nice to
have someone else cook---well--for you every once in a while!
Cheers-
Mo

Good Lord, Mo -- you two are an industrious couple!

I have to confess that dinner time came and without any other thought than
getting it onto the table, I put some Eden (organic) sauerkraut (the first
time I've used) in a pot and added a few slices of the pork to heat. As I'm
not a meat-eater and need loads and loads of spice to eat it, generally, DH
ate it and loved it. I couldn't bring myself but to taste about 1/2
teaspoon of the sauerkraut.

Luckily we had some (organic) rutabaga (yay! not waxed for a change) and
used some Icelandic butter on it; I ate some cheese and an apple and we are
both satisfied for the evening.

Thanks for sharing your pork/tamale/cheesecake cookfest -- only in my
dreams!
Dee Dee

Old 16-11-2007, 01:53 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Dee.Dee wrote:
Any suggestions as to what to do now?

Yikes, that's a pretty pricey chunk 'o meat to just bake away. But, all
is not lost. You could make Middle Tennessee-style BBQ. This is
basically pulling the meat apart and mixing it with plenty of your
favorite BBQ sauce. Let simmer a couple hours and serve between a
hamburger bun, sloppy joe style. This is not considered real BBQ by
hard core Q-freaks, but screw 'em. It was a BBQ staple around
Murfreesboro TN and served in every restuarant for a 50 mile radius for
30+ years. It's still one of my favorite styles of BBQ when I can find
it. Better still, make your own. Just use the BBQ sauce you prefer.

nb
Old 16-11-2007, 02:16 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" wrote in message
Dee.Dee wrote:
Any suggestions as to what to do now?

Yikes, that's a pretty pricey chunk 'o meat to just bake away. But, all
is not lost. You could make Middle Tennessee-style BBQ. This is
basically pulling the meat apart and mixing it with plenty of your
favorite BBQ sauce. Let simmer a couple hours and serve between a
hamburger bun, sloppy joe style. This is not considered real BBQ by hard
core Q-freaks, but screw 'em. It was a BBQ staple around Murfreesboro TN
and served in every restuarant for a 50 mile radius for 30+ years. It's
still one of my favorite styles of BBQ when I can find it. Better still,
make your own. Just use the BBQ sauce you prefer.

nb

Thanks, Bob. I just put 13 oz. each in two packages to freeze. When they
get thawed, they will thaw in a BBQ sauce.

I don't know what real BBQ is anyway, so doesn't matter to me either. I'll
go with Murfreesboro -- and you.
Thanks a lot.

Dee Dee

Old 16-11-2007, 03:33 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 15, 11:37 am, "Dee.Dee" wrote:
Yesterday I bought a 4 lb. piece of pork butt - Niman Ranch -- at Whole
Foods in Baltimore for pulled pork. They gave me enough ice to get me home,
but I didn't get home until the meat registered (on infrared therm) about
57-60 degrees. I immediately (at 8:45 pm) put it in a heavy cast-iron
enameled pot with 4 oz water, turned on the oven to 225 and let it go until
6:15 this morning. It registered 210F + -- DH reported.

It fell off the fork a little getting it onto a plate/dish to refrigerate.

As I didn't have time last night to do anything regarding spices, this meat
is devoid of any flavor with the exception of the meat itself, of course.

Any suggestions as to what to do now?

Open to all comments :-) Thanks.
Dee Dee

Add BBQ sauce; heat it up; enjoy on a big bun.

N.

Old 16-11-2007, 05:03 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:

This is not considered real BBQ by
hard core Q-freaks, but screw 'em.

I don't think anyone said anything about bbq. The only issue of contention
would be if you called that bbq, which it clearly wouldn't be. I even gave a
recipe for a mustard based sauce to be mixed in to the pulled-pork. Like
ribs, there are many ways to cook a pork butt that have nothing to do with
bbq, including the one you mentioned.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Old 16-11-2007, 05:11 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Dee.Dee wrote:
"notbob" wrote in message
Dee.Dee wrote:
Any suggestions as to what to do now?

Yikes, that's a pretty pricey chunk 'o meat to just bake away. But,
all is not lost. You could make Middle Tennessee-style BBQ. This is
basically pulling the meat apart and mixing it with plenty of your
favorite BBQ sauce. Let simmer a couple hours and serve between a
hamburger bun, sloppy joe style. This is not considered real BBQ by
hard core Q-freaks, but screw 'em. It was a BBQ staple around
Murfreesboro TN and served in every restuarant for a 50 mile radius
for 30+ years. It's still one of my favorite styles of BBQ when I
can find it. Better still, make your own. Just use the BBQ sauce
you prefer. nb

Thanks, Bob. I just put 13 oz. each in two packages to freeze. When
they get thawed, they will thaw in a BBQ sauce.

I don't know what real BBQ is anyway,

http://www.eaglequest.com/~bbq/faq2/toc.html

so doesn't matter to me either.

It would, if you have ever tasted real bbq. But there's nothing wrong with
pork cooked by other techniques, as long as folks don't pretend it's BBQ
(which no one has in this thread). BBQ ain't the sauce, it's the way the
meat is cooked. Heck, many real good bbq joints don't put an ounce of sauce
on the meat they serve; the meat is so tender, moist and flavorful coming
out of the pit that sauce isn't needed. They just don't need to hide the
taste of meat. :-o

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Old 16-11-2007, 05:52 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 09:11:30 -0800, "Dave Bugg"
wrote:

I don't know what real BBQ is anyway,

http://www.eaglequest.com/~bbq/faq2/toc.html

so doesn't matter to me either.

It would, if you have ever tasted real bbq. But there's nothing wrong with
pork cooked by other techniques, as long as folks don't pretend it's BBQ
(which no one has in this thread). BBQ ain't the sauce, it's the way the
meat is cooked. Heck, many real good bbq joints don't put an ounce of sauce
on the meat they serve; the meat is so tender, moist and flavorful coming
out of the pit that sauce isn't needed. They just don't need to hide the
taste of meat. :-o

I knew I had figured out how to make real Q when my guests didn't use
sauce anymore.

Lou
Old 16-11-2007, 07:25 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

I don't know what real BBQ is anyway,

http://www.eaglequest.com/~bbq/faq2/toc.html

so doesn't matter to me either.

It would, if you have ever tasted real bbq. But there's nothing
wrong with pork cooked by other techniques, as long as folks don't
pretend it's BBQ (which no one has in this thread). BBQ ain't the
sauce, it's the way the meat is cooked. Heck, many real good bbq
joints don't put an ounce of sauce on the meat they serve; the meat
is so tender, moist and flavorful coming out of the pit that sauce
isn't needed. They just don't need to hide the taste of meat. :-o

I knew I had figured out how to make real Q when my guests didn't use
sauce anymore.

There ya go, Lou; there's no higher compliment. :-)

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Old 16-11-2007, 07:56 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 16, 8:16 am, "Dee.Dee" wrote:
"notbob" wrote in message

Dee.Dee wrote:
[...]

In Memphis, if you don't ask them not to, they put a plop of coleslaw
onto their BBQ sandwiches. Ick.

Good BBQ in Memphis is at: http://www.dancingpigs.com/

Also, if you go to Memphis, check out the painting, "At The Foot Of
The Cliff",
by William-Adolphe Bouguereau.
http://brooksmuseum.com/public/dine/...sp?id=10000250

Also: http://search.cityguide.aol.com/memp...ra/v-111017008

Dee Dee

--Bryan
-pix of two of my more interesting guitars at:
http://flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/2034749372/