Old 01-03-2007, 03:18 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Pork loin for pulled pork?

Has anybody here used a pork loin roast to make pulled pork?
I've always used Boston Butt in the past, but saw a show on
the Food Network (US) where a woman used leftover crockpot
pork loin to make pulled pork. This week my market has it
on sale for less $$$/lb than Boston Butt. I thought it
would be too lean, but maybe not?

Thanks,
Jnospam

Old 01-03-2007, 05:28 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Jnospam wrote:
Has anybody here used a pork loin roast to make pulled pork?
I've always used Boston Butt in the past, but saw a show on
the Food Network (US) where a woman used leftover crockpot
pork loin to make pulled pork. This week my market has it
on sale for less $$$/lb than Boston Butt. I thought it
would be too lean, but maybe not?

Thanks,
Jnospam

I use loin. But I bake it very slowly in sauce rather than grilling/smoking.
(Sometimes I grill it after baking, for the flavor.)

Old 05-03-2007, 10:02 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Jnospam wrote:

Has anybody here used a pork loin roast to make pulled pork?
I've always used Boston Butt in the past, but saw a show on
the Food Network (US) where a woman used leftover crockpot
pork loin to make pulled pork. This week my market has it
on sale for less $$$/lb than Boston Butt. I thought it
would be too lean, but maybe not?

Thanks,
Jnospam

Stick with the butt. Loin is way too lean to make good
pulled pork.

Kate

--
Kate Connally
If I were as old as I feel, Id be dead already.

Old 05-03-2007, 11:03 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Kate Connally wrote:
Jnospam wrote:

Has anybody here used a pork loin roast to make pulled pork?
I've always used Boston Butt in the past, but saw a show on
the Food Network (US) where a woman used leftover crockpot
pork loin to make pulled pork. This week my market has it
on sale for less $$$/lb than Boston Butt. I thought it
would be too lean, but maybe not?

Thanks,
Jnospam

Stick with the butt. Loin is way too lean to make good
pulled pork.

Amen, Kate. Besides, pork loin is good without the need to pull.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Old 05-03-2007, 11:03 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Has anybody here used a pork loin roast to make pulled pork?

I have. I thought it came out dry.
Old 06-03-2007, 03:25 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 05 Mar 2007 17:02:31 -0500, Kate Connally
wrote:

Jnospam wrote:

Has anybody here used a pork loin roast to make pulled pork?
I've always used Boston Butt in the past, but saw a show on
the Food Network (US) where a woman used leftover crockpot
pork loin to make pulled pork. This week my market has it
on sale for less $$$/lb than Boston Butt. I thought it
would be too lean, but maybe not?

Thanks,
Jnospam

Stick with the butt. Loin is way too lean to make good
pulled pork.

Agreed. Someone here was using loin for carnitas! WTF??!!! Gotta
have some fat to make either pulled pork or carnitas IMO.

TammyM
Old 06-03-2007, 03:42 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Jnospam wrote:
Has anybody here used a pork loin roast to make pulled pork?

Yeap! My fingers were sore for days and my fork tynes bent.