Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Pork loin for pulled pork?

Has anybody here used a pork loin roast to make pulled pork?
I've always used Boston Butt in the past, but saw a show on
the Food Network (US) where a woman used leftover crockpot
pork loin to make pulled pork. This week my market has it
on sale for less $$$/lb than Boston Butt. I thought it
would be too lean, but maybe not?

Thanks,
Jnospam

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jnospam wrote:
> Has anybody here used a pork loin roast to make pulled pork?
> I've always used Boston Butt in the past, but saw a show on
> the Food Network (US) where a woman used leftover crockpot
> pork loin to make pulled pork. This week my market has it
> on sale for less $$$/lb than Boston Butt. I thought it
> would be too lean, but maybe not?
>
> Thanks,
> Jnospam

I use loin. But I bake it very slowly in sauce rather than grilling/smoking.
(Sometimes I grill it after baking, for the flavor.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jnospam wrote:

> Has anybody here used a pork loin roast to make pulled pork?
> I've always used Boston Butt in the past, but saw a show on
> the Food Network (US) where a woman used leftover crockpot
> pork loin to make pulled pork. This week my market has it
> on sale for less $$$/lb than Boston Butt. I thought it
> would be too lean, but maybe not?
>
> Thanks,
> Jnospam

Stick with the butt. Loin is way too lean to make good
pulled pork.

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kate Connally wrote:
> Jnospam wrote:
>
>> Has anybody here used a pork loin roast to make pulled pork?
>> I've always used Boston Butt in the past, but saw a show on
>> the Food Network (US) where a woman used leftover crockpot
>> pork loin to make pulled pork. This week my market has it
>> on sale for less $$$/lb than Boston Butt. I thought it
>> would be too lean, but maybe not?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Jnospam

> Stick with the butt. Loin is way too lean to make good
> pulled pork.

Amen, Kate. Besides, pork loin is good without the need to pull.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

>Has anybody here used a pork loin roast to make pulled pork?

I have. I thought it came out dry.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 05 Mar 2007 17:02:31 -0500, Kate Connally >
wrote:

>Jnospam wrote:
>
>> Has anybody here used a pork loin roast to make pulled pork?
>> I've always used Boston Butt in the past, but saw a show on
>> the Food Network (US) where a woman used leftover crockpot
>> pork loin to make pulled pork. This week my market has it
>> on sale for less $$$/lb than Boston Butt. I thought it
>> would be too lean, but maybe not?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Jnospam

>Stick with the butt. Loin is way too lean to make good
>pulled pork.

Agreed. Someone here was using loin for carnitas! WTF??!!! Gotta
have some fat to make either pulled pork or carnitas IMO.

TammyM
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jnospam wrote:
> Has anybody here used a pork loin roast to make pulled pork?

Yeap! My fingers were sore for days and my fork tynes bent.