Old 01-06-2007, 02:57 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Need info on grilling salmon

Costco has fresh salmon (looks like half a salmon)--one huge, long fillet.
We're having guests next week, and I was thinking grilled salmon would be
easy and most people like it (not me, but that's okay). I've been checking
out salmon recipes on the Internet, and I can't find info on grilling
anything but thick steaks. Can someone give me some pointers, please? I
don't want to ruin it.

Diane M

Old 01-06-2007, 03:05 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

" wrote in message
t...
Costco has fresh salmon (looks like half a salmon)--one huge, long fillet.
We're having guests next week, and I was thinking grilled salmon would be
easy and most people like it (not me, but that's okay). I've been
checking out salmon recipes on the Internet, and I can't find info on
grilling anything but thick steaks. Can someone give me some pointers,
please? I don't want to ruin it.

Diane M

You must've been looking at car repair sites, in order to find nothing on
grilling fillets.

Searching at Google for "grilled salmon fillet" turns up 603,000 results.
The first few pages should contain something enlightening.

Old 01-06-2007, 04:03 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 31, 10:21 pm, (Steve Pope) wrote:
wrote:
I've been checking out salmon recipes on the Internet,
and I can't find info on grilling anything but thick steaks.
Can someone give me some pointers, please? I don't want to
ruin it.

The most important thing I've learned about cooking salmon
fillets (including the quite large ones you are talking about)
is to cook it skin-side down and do not flip it. This applies
to either grilling methods (charcoal, mesquite, etc.) or
braising, my other favorite method.

I prefer low heat, such that a 1.5 to 3 pound fillet might
take from 20 to 25 minutes and still be medium-medium-rare inside,
but there's nothing wrong with going hotter/faster.

Steve

The salmon at Costco is skinless, so it's not very grill-friendly.
Some people will wrap it in foil before putting it in the grill, but I
think that's kind of pointless, because you don't get the grill flavor
in the fish. I'd recommend getting a couple of those long fish-
grilling baskets. They can be bought for about ten bucks at TJMaxx or
Marshall's.

- Carolina

Old 01-06-2007, 04:08 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Carolina wrote:

On May 31, 10:21 pm, (Steve Pope) wrote:

The most important thing I've learned about cooking salmon
fillets (including the quite large ones you are talking about)
is to cook it skin-side down and do not flip it. [..]

The salmon at Costco is skinless, so it's not very grill-friendly.

Then I wouldn't buy it. The only reason to skin a salmon is
if you're not planning to sell it very soon.

Steve

Old 01-06-2007, 05:15 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 01 Jun 2007 01:57:50 GMT, "
wrote:

Costco has fresh salmon (looks like half a salmon)--one huge, long fillet.
We're having guests next week, and I was thinking grilled salmon would be
easy and most people like it (not me, but that's okay). I've been checking
out salmon recipes on the Internet, and I can't find info on grilling
anything but thick steaks. Can someone give me some pointers, please? I
don't want to ruin it.

I use a flat burger basket for easier flipping - I usually preheat it
on the grill and spray with PAM after to prevent sticking. Seasoning
is up to you although I'm partial to a light teriyaki marinade (don't
forget the fresh ginger).

--
See return address to reply by email
Old 01-06-2007, 06:52 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

tert in seattle wrote:

writes:

The most important thing I've learned about cooking salmon
fillets (including the quite large ones you are talking about)
is to cook it skin-side down and do not flip it. This applies
to either grilling methods (charcoal, mesquite, etc.) or
braising, my other favorite method.

braised salmon? I think you mean poached

No, I most definitely mean braised as opposed to poached.

Steve
Old 01-06-2007, 08:03 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
" wrote in message
t...
Costco has fresh salmon (looks like half a salmon)--one huge, long
fillet. We're having guests next week, and I was thinking grilled salmon
would be easy and most people like it (not me, but that's okay). I've
been checking out salmon recipes on the Internet, and I can't find info
on grilling anything but thick steaks. Can someone give me some
pointers, please? I don't want to ruin it.

Diane M

You must've been looking at car repair sites, in order to find nothing on
grilling fillets.

Searching at Google for "grilled salmon fillet" turns up 603,000 results.
The first few pages should contain something enlightening.

Grilling a Salmon fillet and not having it fall apart, unless you grill it
sitting on
foil is very difficult, regardless of what 603,000 posters say. To even try,
you
have to have a grill with porcelainized cast iron grates with a flat side
positioned upward.
to keep it from falling apart. I would take a piece and rehearse before you
start.
The Best of Luck,

Kent

Old 01-06-2007, 01:08 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote on Fri, 01 Jun 2007 01:57:50 GMT:

d Costco has fresh salmon (looks like half a salmon)--one
d huge, long fillet. We're having guests next week, and I was
d thinking grilled salmon would be easy and most people like
d it (not me, but that's okay). I've been checking out salmon
d recipes on the Internet, and I can't find info on grilling
d anything but thick steaks. Can someone give me some
d pointers, please? I don't want to ruin it.

d Diane M

I adopt a different approach to cooking skin-on salmon filet
that, several years ago, became my favorite recipe of its type.
Because of the smoke I use the oven method exclusively. Don't be
alarmed by the cooking temperature of 500F.

Salmon Roasted On Kosher Salt

(Saumon A L'unilateral)

Active time: 10 min Start to finish: 20 min

This makes so much smoke that it best cooked outdoors. A few
thickness of Al foil on hibachi seems OK

2 cups coarse sea salt or kosher salt

1 lb center-cut piece salmon fillet

Spread salt evenly in a dry 10-inch heavy skillet (preferably
cast-iron) and heat over moderately high heat until salt is hot
to the touch and just beginning to smoke, about 4 minutes.

Pat salmon dry and season flesh with salt and pepper, then put,
skin side down, on salt. Cook salmon, covered, without turning,
until almost cooked through, 8 to 12 minutes. Remove from heat
and let stand, covered, until salmon is just cooked through, 1
to 2 minutes.

Slide a spatula between salmon skin and flesh and transfer
salmon to a platter (salmon skin will be too salty to eat).

Makes 4 servings.

Gourmet March 2001

JVS addition

The roasting will work in the oven and it does not make a lot of
smoke. My method was to make a dish with three layers of Al foil
folded together, place a thin layer of Kosher salt and heat it
in the oven to 500F . The salmon is roasted skin side down for
10 minutes and treated as above. It works well with Copper River
Salmon and can be served with just lemon or various yoghurt/dill
sauces.

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Old 01-06-2007, 02:09 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

" wrote:

Costco has fresh salmon (looks like half a salmon)--one huge, long fillet.
We're having guests next week, and I was thinking grilled salmon would be
easy and most people like it (not me, but that's okay). I've been checking
out salmon recipes on the Internet, and I can't find info on grilling
anything but thick steaks. Can someone give me some pointers, please? I
don't want to ruin it.

Grill it skin side down. Season it will a little salt and pepper and some
fresh dill (better near the end of cooking on a large fish). Drizzle a
little olive oil or butter on it to keep it moist. The salmon is almost
cooked when you start seeing the whitish fat oozing out.
Old 01-06-2007, 02:43 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
" wrote:

Costco has fresh salmon (looks like half a salmon)--one huge, long
fillet. We're having guests next week, and I was thinking grilled
salmon would be easy and most people like it (not me, but that's
okay). I've been checking out salmon recipes on the Internet, and I
can't find info on grilling anything but thick steaks. Can someone
give me some pointers, please? I don't want to ruin it.

Grill it skin side down. Season it will a little salt and pepper and
some fresh dill (better near the end of cooking on a large fish).
Drizzle a little olive oil or butter on it to keep it moist. The
salmon is almost cooked when you start seeing the whitish fat oozing
out.

A few nice additions to your recipe are lemon and a sprinkling of wine. I
like to make a bowl of olive oil, lemon and wine and drizzle it over the
fish as it cooks. I sometimes add the dill in that, too. It depends upon
if I'm using fresh or dried dill.

kili

Old 01-06-2007, 06:18 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

tert in seattle wrote:

how do you braise salmon?

By first browning it (perhaps along with some vegetables), then
cooking it in a pot in which there is some liquid (but only a
fraction of what would be needed to cover the fish), and
covering the pot.

I normally use vegetable broth and white wine, along with
green onions or green garlic.

Steve