Posted to rec.food.cooking
Carolina[_2_] Carolina[_2_] is offline

Default Need info on grilling salmon

On May 31, 10:21 pm, (Steve Pope) wrote:
> > wrote:
> > I've been checking out salmon recipes on the Internet,
> > and I can't find info on grilling anything but thick steaks.
> > Can someone give me some pointers, please? I don't want to
> > ruin it.

> The most important thing I've learned about cooking salmon
> fillets (including the quite large ones you are talking about)
> is to cook it skin-side down and do not flip it. This applies
> to either grilling methods (charcoal, mesquite, etc.) or
> braising, my other favorite method.
>
> I prefer low heat, such that a 1.5 to 3 pound fillet might
> take from 20 to 25 minutes and still be medium-medium-rare inside,
> but there's nothing wrong with going hotter/faster.
>
> Steve

The salmon at Costco is skinless, so it's not very grill-friendly.
Some people will wrap it in foil before putting it in the grill, but I
think that's kind of pointless, because you don't get the grill flavor
in the fish. I'd recommend getting a couple of those long fish-
grilling baskets. They can be bought for about ten bucks at TJMaxx or
Marshall's.

- Carolina