Posted to rec.food.cooking
Steve Pope Steve Pope is offline

Default Need info on grilling salmon

> wrote:

> I've been checking out salmon recipes on the Internet,
> and I can't find info on grilling anything but thick steaks.
> Can someone give me some pointers, please? I don't want to
> ruin it.

The most important thing I've learned about cooking salmon
fillets (including the quite large ones you are talking about)
is to cook it skin-side down and do not flip it. This applies
to either grilling methods (charcoal, mesquite, etc.) or
braising, my other favorite method.

I prefer low heat, such that a 1.5 to 3 pound fillet might
take from 20 to 25 minutes and still be medium-medium-rare inside,
but there's nothing wrong with going hotter/faster.

Steve