FoodBanter.com

-   -   Need info on grilling salmon (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/125143-need-info-grilling-salmon.html)

[email protected] 01-06-2007 02:57 AM

Need info on grilling salmon

Costco has fresh salmon (looks like half a salmon)--one huge, long fillet.
We're having guests next week, and I was thinking grilled salmon would be
easy and most people like it (not me, but that's okay). I've been checking
out salmon recipes on the Internet, and I can't find info on grilling
anything but thick steaks. Can someone give me some pointers, please? I
don't want to ruin it.

Diane M

JoeSpareBedroom 01-06-2007 03:05 AM

Need info on grilling salmon

" > wrote in message
t...
> Costco has fresh salmon (looks like half a salmon)--one huge, long fillet.
> We're having guests next week, and I was thinking grilled salmon would be
> easy and most people like it (not me, but that's okay). I've been
> checking out salmon recipes on the Internet, and I can't find info on
> grilling anything but thick steaks. Can someone give me some pointers,
> please? I don't want to ruin it.
>
> Diane M

You must've been looking at car repair sites, in order to find nothing on
grilling fillets.

Searching at Google for "grilled salmon fillet" turns up 603,000 results.
The first few pages should contain something enlightening.

Steve Pope 01-06-2007 03:21 AM

Need info on grilling salmon

> wrote:

> I've been checking out salmon recipes on the Internet,
> and I can't find info on grilling anything but thick steaks.
> Can someone give me some pointers, please? I don't want to
> ruin it.

The most important thing I've learned about cooking salmon
fillets (including the quite large ones you are talking about)
is to cook it skin-side down and do not flip it. This applies
to either grilling methods (charcoal, mesquite, etc.) or
braising, my other favorite method.

I prefer low heat, such that a 1.5 to 3 pound fillet might
take from 20 to 25 minutes and still be medium-medium-rare inside,
but there's nothing wrong with going hotter/faster.

Steve

Carolina[_2_] 01-06-2007 04:03 AM

On May 31, 10:21 pm, (Steve Pope) wrote:
> > wrote:
> > I've been checking out salmon recipes on the Internet,
> > and I can't find info on grilling anything but thick steaks.
> > Can someone give me some pointers, please? I don't want to
> > ruin it.

> The most important thing I've learned about cooking salmon
> fillets (including the quite large ones you are talking about)
> is to cook it skin-side down and do not flip it. This applies
> to either grilling methods (charcoal, mesquite, etc.) or
> braising, my other favorite method.
>
> I prefer low heat, such that a 1.5 to 3 pound fillet might
> take from 20 to 25 minutes and still be medium-medium-rare inside,
> but there's nothing wrong with going hotter/faster.
>
> Steve

The salmon at Costco is skinless, so it's not very grill-friendly.
Some people will wrap it in foil before putting it in the grill, but I
think that's kind of pointless, because you don't get the grill flavor
in the fish. I'd recommend getting a couple of those long fish-
grilling baskets. They can be bought for about ten bucks at TJMaxx or
Marshall's.

- Carolina

Steve Pope 01-06-2007 04:08 AM

Carolina > wrote:

>On May 31, 10:21 pm, (Steve Pope) wrote:

>> The most important thing I've learned about cooking salmon
>> fillets (including the quite large ones you are talking about)
>> is to cook it skin-side down and do not flip it. [..]

>The salmon at Costco is skinless, so it's not very grill-friendly.

Then I wouldn't buy it. The only reason to skin a salmon is
if you're not planning to sell it very soon.

Steve

sf[_3_] 01-06-2007 05:15 AM

Need info on grilling salmon

On Fri, 01 Jun 2007 01:57:50 GMT, "
> wrote:

>Costco has fresh salmon (looks like half a salmon)--one huge, long fillet.
>We're having guests next week, and I was thinking grilled salmon would be
>easy and most people like it (not me, but that's okay). I've been checking
>out salmon recipes on the Internet, and I can't find info on grilling
>anything but thick steaks. Can someone give me some pointers, please? I
>don't want to ruin it.

I use a flat burger basket for easier flipping - I usually preheat it
on the grill and spray with PAM after to prevent sticking. Seasoning
is up to you although I'm partial to a light teriyaki marinade (don't
forget the fresh ginger).

--
See return address to reply by email

tert in seattle 01-06-2007 06:26 AM

writes:
> wrote:
>
>> I've been checking out salmon recipes on the Internet,
>> and I can't find info on grilling anything but thick steaks.
>> Can someone give me some pointers, please? I don't want to
>> ruin it.

>The most important thing I've learned about cooking salmon
>fillets (including the quite large ones you are talking about)
>is to cook it skin-side down and do not flip it. This applies
>to either grilling methods (charcoal, mesquite, etc.) or
>braising, my other favorite method.

braised salmon? I think you mean poached

Gregory Morrow[_32_] 01-06-2007 06:34 AM

tert in seattle wrote:

> writes:
> > wrote:
> >
> >> I've been checking out salmon recipes on the Internet,
> >> and I can't find info on grilling anything but thick steaks.
> >> Can someone give me some pointers, please? I don't want to
> >> ruin it.

> >The most important thing I've learned about cooking salmon
> >fillets (including the quite large ones you are talking about)
> >is to cook it skin-side down and do not flip it. This applies
> >to either grilling methods (charcoal, mesquite, etc.) or
> >braising, my other favorite method.

> braised salmon? I think you mean poached

"poached" as in "stolen", TART...???

--
Best
Greg

Steve Pope 01-06-2007 06:52 AM

tert in seattle > wrote:

writes:

>>The most important thing I've learned about cooking salmon
>>fillets (including the quite large ones you are talking about)
>>is to cook it skin-side down and do not flip it. This applies
>>to either grilling methods (charcoal, mesquite, etc.) or
>>braising, my other favorite method.

>braised salmon? I think you mean poached

No, I most definitely mean braised as opposed to poached.

Steve

Kent 01-06-2007 08:03 AM

"JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote in message
> " > wrote in message
> t...
>> Costco has fresh salmon (looks like half a salmon)--one huge, long
>> fillet. We're having guests next week, and I was thinking grilled salmon
>> would be easy and most people like it (not me, but that's okay). I've
>> been checking out salmon recipes on the Internet, and I can't find info
>> on grilling anything but thick steaks. Can someone give me some
>> pointers, please? I don't want to ruin it.
>>
>> Diane M
>>

> You must've been looking at car repair sites, in order to find nothing on
> grilling fillets.
>
> Searching at Google for "grilled salmon fillet" turns up 603,000 results.
> The first few pages should contain something enlightening.

Grilling a Salmon fillet and not having it fall apart, unless you grill it
sitting on
foil is very difficult, regardless of what 603,000 posters say. To even try,
you
have to have a grill with porcelainized cast iron grates with a flat side
positioned upward.
to keep it from falling apart. I would take a piece and rehearse before you
start.
The Best of Luck,

Kent

tert in seattle 01-06-2007 08:11 AM

writes:

>>>The most important thing I've learned about cooking salmon
>>>fillets (including the quite large ones you are talking about)
>>>is to cook it skin-side down and do not flip it. This applies
>>>to either grilling methods (charcoal, mesquite, etc.) or
>>>braising, my other favorite method.

>>braised salmon? I think you mean poached

>No, I most definitely mean braised as opposed to poached.

how do you braise salmon?

James Silverton[_2_] 01-06-2007 01:08 PM

Need info on grilling salmon

wrote on Fri, 01 Jun 2007 01:57:50 GMT:

d> Costco has fresh salmon (looks like half a salmon)--one
d> huge, long fillet. We're having guests next week, and I was
d> thinking grilled salmon would be easy and most people like
d> it (not me, but that's okay). I've been checking out salmon
d> recipes on the Internet, and I can't find info on grilling
d> anything but thick steaks. Can someone give me some
d> pointers, please? I don't want to ruin it.

d> Diane M

I adopt a different approach to cooking skin-on salmon filet
that, several years ago, became my favorite recipe of its type.
Because of the smoke I use the oven method exclusively. Don't be
alarmed by the cooking temperature of 500F.

Salmon Roasted On Kosher Salt

(Saumon A L'unilateral)

Active time: 10 min Start to finish: 20 min

This makes so much smoke that it best cooked outdoors. A few
thickness of Al foil on hibachi seems OK

2 cups coarse sea salt or kosher salt

1¼ lb center-cut piece salmon fillet

Spread salt evenly in a dry 10-inch heavy skillet (preferably
cast-iron) and heat over moderately high heat until salt is hot
to the touch and just beginning to smoke, about 4 minutes.

Pat salmon dry and season flesh with salt and pepper, then put,
skin side down, on salt. Cook salmon, covered, without turning,
until almost cooked through, 8 to 12 minutes. Remove from heat
and let stand, covered, until salmon is just cooked through, 1
to 2 minutes.

Slide a spatula between salmon skin and flesh and transfer
salmon to a platter (salmon skin will be too salty to eat).

Makes 4 servings.

Gourmet March 2001

JVS addition

The roasting will work in the oven and it does not make a lot of
smoke. My method was to make a dish with three layers of Al foil
folded together, place a thin layer of Kosher salt and heat it
in the oven to 500°F . The salmon is roasted skin side down for
10 minutes and treated as above. It works well with Copper River
Salmon and can be served with just lemon or various yoghurt/dill
sauces.

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Dave Smith[_2_] 01-06-2007 02:09 PM

" wrote:

> Costco has fresh salmon (looks like half a salmon)--one huge, long fillet.
> We're having guests next week, and I was thinking grilled salmon would be
> easy and most people like it (not me, but that's okay). I've been checking
> out salmon recipes on the Internet, and I can't find info on grilling
> anything but thick steaks. Can someone give me some pointers, please? I
> don't want to ruin it.

Grill it skin side down. Season it will a little salt and pepper and some
fresh dill (better near the end of cooking on a large fish). Drizzle a
little olive oil or butter on it to keep it moist. The salmon is almost
cooked when you start seeing the whitish fat oozing out.

kilikini 01-06-2007 02:43 PM

Dave Smith wrote:
> " wrote:
>>
>> Costco has fresh salmon (looks like half a salmon)--one huge, long
>> fillet. We're having guests next week, and I was thinking grilled
>> salmon would be easy and most people like it (not me, but that's
>> okay). I've been checking out salmon recipes on the Internet, and I
>> can't find info on grilling anything but thick steaks. Can someone
>> give me some pointers, please? I don't want to ruin it.

> Grill it skin side down. Season it will a little salt and pepper and
> some fresh dill (better near the end of cooking on a large fish).
> Drizzle a little olive oil or butter on it to keep it moist. The
> salmon is almost cooked when you start seeing the whitish fat oozing
> out.

A few nice additions to your recipe are lemon and a sprinkling of wine. I
like to make a bowl of olive oil, lemon and wine and drizzle it over the
fish as it cooks. I sometimes add the dill in that, too. It depends upon
if I'm using fresh or dried dill.

kili

Steve Pope 01-06-2007 06:18 PM

tert in seattle > wrote:

>how do you braise salmon?

By first browning it (perhaps along with some vegetables), then
cooking it in a pot in which there is some liquid (but only a
fraction of what would be needed to cover the fish), and
covering the pot.

I normally use vegetable broth and white wine, along with
green onions or green garlic.

Steve

Carolina[_2_] 01-06-2007 07:36 PM

tert in seattle 01-06-2007 08:18 PM

writes:
>tert in seattle > wrote:
>
>>how do you braise salmon?

>By first browning it (perhaps along with some vegetables), then
>cooking it in a pot in which there is some liquid (but only a
>fraction of what would be needed to cover the fish), and
>covering the pot.
>
>I normally use vegetable broth and white wine, along with
>green onions or green garlic.

how long do you cook it?

Brad[_2_] 01-06-2007 08:37 PM

Need info on grilling salmon

" > wrote in message
t...
> Costco has fresh salmon (looks like half a salmon)--one huge, long fillet.
> We're having guests next week, and I was thinking grilled salmon would be
> easy and most people like it (not me, but that's okay). I've been
> checking out salmon recipes on the Internet, and I can't find info on
> grilling anything but thick steaks. Can someone give me some pointers,
> please? I don't want to ruin it.
>
> Diane M

My favorite is grilled on cedar planks (untreated). Google cedar plank
salmon and have fun.

bd

Steve Pope 01-06-2007 11:12 PM

Need info on grilling salmon

tert in seattle > wrote:

writes:

[ braising salmon ]

>>By first browning it (perhaps along with some vegetables), then
>>cooking it in a pot in which there is some liquid (but only a
>>fraction of what would be needed to cover the fish), and
>>covering the pot.

>>I normally use vegetable broth and white wine, along with
>>green onions or green garlic.

>how long do you cook it?

After browning/assembling/brining to a simmer, somewhere between 12
and 18 minutes in a 300 degree F oven for medium, given a piece of
salmon between 12 oz and 1.5 lbs.

I do this in a Le Creuset. I find doing it in the oven a little
more predictable than doing it entirely on the stovetop, but
that also works.

Steve

Food Snob 02-06-2007 12:32 AM

On May 31, 10:03 pm, Carolina > wrote:
> On May 31, 10:21 pm, (Steve Pope) wrote:
>

> > > wrote:
> > > I've been checking out salmon recipes on the Internet,
> > > and I can't find info on grilling anything but thick steaks.
> > > Can someone give me some pointers, please? I don't want to
> > > ruin it.

> > The most important thing I've learned about cooking salmon
> > fillets (including the quite large ones you are talking about)
> > is to cook it skin-side down and do not flip it. This applies
> > to either grilling methods (charcoal, mesquite, etc.) or
> > braising, my other favorite method.

> > I prefer low heat, such that a 1.5 to 3 pound fillet might
> > take from 20 to 25 minutes and still be medium-medium-rare inside,
> > but there's nothing wrong with going hotter/faster.

> > Steve

> The salmon at Costco is skinless, so it's not very grill-friendly.
> Some people will wrap it in foil before putting it in the grill, but I
> think that's kind of pointless, because you don't get the grill flavor
> in the fish. I'd recommend getting a couple of those long fish-
> grilling baskets. They can be bought for about ten bucks at TJMaxx or
> Marshall's.

I would not buy skinless salmon.
I also wouldn't ever buy the farm raised stuff.

> - Carolina

--Bryan

Leonard Blaisdell 02-06-2007 06:37 AM

Need info on grilling salmon

In article . com>,
Carolina > wrote:

> On Jun 1, 9:09 am, Dave Smith > wrote:
>
> > Grill it skin side down.

> The salmon at Costco is skinless.

My method ain't grilling, but it's my favorite way for skinless fileted
salmon around an inch thick or less. Put a tablespoon of butter in a ten
inch iron skillet and wait until it's as hot as the butter can stand.
It'll start to smoke.
Meanwhile, liberally coat both sides of the portion sized fillet with
seasoned salt.
Place the salmon in the hot butter and cook for a minute or so. Just
enough time for the hot side to nearly burn. Then flip it and cook for a
minute or so on the other side.
Put the hot skillet in a 400F oven and let it bake for five minutes.
Serve with whatever you like salmon with. I like lemon juice.
If the salmon is less than an inch thick, reduce oven time accordingly.
Three quarter inch is four minutes. If the salmon is uneven in
thickness, thinner parts may cook through before you even put the
portion in the oven.
I usually serve it with cole slaw, but I'm open to suggestions.

leo

--
<http://web0.greatbasin.net/~leo/>