jmcquown

Default Grilling Salmon

Z GIRL wrote:
> I am grilling Salmon for company Saturday. I am looking for grilling
> time ( Salmon is 2.75 lb whole filet.) And I need a tasty way to
> season it but not Cajun or blackened.
>

> Thanks,
> Barbara

Barbara, dill weed and lemon is always great with salmon. I would brush it
with a little oil - some would say olive oil, that's up to you - and
sprinkle lightly with dill weed, a little salt & pepper and perhaps put some
thin slices of lemon on the top. You might also want to grill some
zucchini, yellow squash, onion, etc. along with the salmon.

I use Reynolds Wrap Release Non-stick Grill Foil (it's perforated) for fish
on the grill - keeps the fish from flaking and falling through the grate but
the fish is still grilled, not 'steamed' in a foil packet.

How long to cook? Until it flakes easily with a fork; turn it once with a
wide spatula. About 8-10 minutes, I'd say. The good thing about this foil
(and no, I don't work for them nor do I sell the product) is you can take it
right off the grill, foil sheet and all, without fuss or muss.

Enjoy your company and the meal!

Jill

Peter Aitken

"Z GIRL" > wrote in message
> I am grilling Salmon for company Saturday. I am looking for grilling time
> ( Salmon is 2.75 lb whole filet.) And I need a tasty way to season it but
> not Cajun or blackened.
>

> Thanks,
> Barbara

Forget about timing it - grills vary so much that it will not work. You need
to tell when it is done by look and feel. If you are not experienced then it
might not be a good recipe to do for the first time for company. It's very
easy to ruin by overcooking.

--
Peter Aitken

?????

"Z GIRL" > wrote in message
> I am grilling Salmon for company Saturday. I am looking for grilling time
> ( Salmon is 2.75 lb whole filet.) And I need a tasty way to season it but
> not Cajun or blackened.
>

> Thanks,
> Barbara

My fav for salmon is simple---
1/2 cup butter melted
juice of 1 lemon
zest of half a lemon
1 large garlic clove put thru a press.
1/2 tsp dried dill
mix all the above
Baste salmon whilst grillin'

In rec.food.cooking, Z GIRL > wrote:
> I am grilling Salmon for company Saturday. I am looking for grilling time

Use a hot fire. Grill it until the meat side has a nice, golden brown
crust. Then flip it over onto the skin side, and move it over tho the
cool side of the grill until it is at your desired doneness. Do not
overcook.

> ( Salmon is 2.75 lb whole filet.)

The weight is irrelevant. The thickness is what matters when you are
grilling.

> And I need a tasty way to season it but
> not Cajun or blackened.

Use a good quality bottled Italian Dressing. Slather it on about 15 or
20 minutes prior to grilling. Don't allow it to drip into the flame,
however, unless you like the taste of burnt oil.

If you don't like that idea, rub it lightly with oil, then use some sea
salt and black pepper. If you want something pseudo-fancy, brush it with
orange juice concentrate when you take it off the grill.

--
....I'm an air-conditioned gypsy...

- The Who

windriverfamily

"Z GIRL" > wrote in message
> I am grilling Salmon for company Saturday. I am looking for grilling time
> ( Salmon is 2.75 lb whole filet.) And I need a tasty way to season it but
> not Cajun or blackened.
>

> Thanks,
> Barbara

Barbara, our family doesn't like "fishy" tasting fish, so I make salmon
this simple way:
*Marinate the salmon for 30-60 mins in a mix of tamari (soy) sauce and water
to cover. I usually make it 50:50 but it'll depend on the saltiness of the
tamari. If something like kikoman (sp?) I'd use more.
*mix 1/2 cup of mayo with the juice of one lemon and 1.5 tsps of Lawry's
seasoning salt if you have it handy.
* Take the salmon out of the marinade and place on large piece of aluminum
foil, skin side down. You want the foil to be large enough to wrap around
the fish.
* Spread the mayo/lemon/salt sauce evenly on the top of the salmon filet,
topping that with thin slices of lemon. Wrap all with foil, and place on
hot grill or in 350 deg oven.
* Cook until salmon flakes. If done on a grill, this could be as little as
15 mins depending on the thickness of the salmon. When nearly done, I open
the salmon packet so the top gets browned. Note: I rarely do this step
when using the oven- the kitchen will smell fishy.
* Take the salmon from the fire, open the packet and remove the filet from
its skin.. The skin should stick to the foil.
* I serve this with Basmati rice and a good salad. Yum!

skg

Nancy Dooley

"Z GIRL" > wrote in message >...
> I am grilling Salmon for company Saturday. I am looking for grilling time
> ( Salmon is 2.75 lb whole filet.) And I need a tasty way to season it but
> not Cajun or blackened.
>

> Thanks,
> Barbara

I like to wrap whole or half salmon in heavy-duty foil (a couple
layers) - butter the foil, put the salmon on, drop some big pats of
butter along the top of the fish, sprinkle with some dill, a little
pepper and lots of lemon juice. Wrap the package air-tight (I tent
it) and put on the grill - medium hot - plan to turn it once. I do it
for a total of about 10 minutes per inch of thickness.

N.
PENMART01

> "windriverfamily" fifth wheels:
>
>>"Z GIRL" wrote:
>>
>> I am grilling Salmon for company Saturday. I am looking for grilling time
>> ( Salmon is 2.75 lb whole filet.) And I need a tasty way to season it but
>> not Cajun or blackened.
>>

>*Marinate the salmon for 30-60 mins in a mix of tamari (soy) sauce and water
>to cover. I usually make it 50:50 but it'll depend on the saltiness of the
>tamari. If something like kikoman (sp?) I'd use more.
>*mix 1/2 cup of mayo with the juice of one lemon and 1.5 tsps of Lawry's
>seasoning salt if you have it handy.
>* Take the salmon out of the marinade and place on large piece of aluminum
>foil, skin side down. You want the foil to be large enough to wrap around
>the fish.
>* Spread the mayo/lemon/salt sauce evenly on the top of the salmon filet,
>topping that with thin slices of lemon. Wrap all with foil, and place on
>hot grill or in 350 deg oven.

Wrapping with aluminum foil, especially with acetics (lemon) and salt, is one
of the best ways to ruin the delicate flavor of a good piece of fish. Cook
fish in something non-reactive (there's good reason fish poachers are made of
stainless steel); grill in parchment, or better yet banana leaves (readily
available at many ethnic markets).

Cooking in aluminum foil is indicative of redneck trailer trash coozine.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
Tank

"Z GIRL" > wrote in message
> I am grilling Salmon for company Saturday. I am looking for grilling time
> ( Salmon is 2.75 lb whole filet.) And I need a tasty way to season it but
> not Cajun or blackened.
>

> Thanks,
> Barbara

Lightly oil the salmon, both sides. Sprinkle a
little kosher salt, and crack some pepper on it.
Lean closely, and whisper the word "dill".
Seriously, sprinkle the dill very lightly.

Get your grill stoking hot. The rack should be
as hot as you can make it. You will not need
foil.

Place the filet, skin side down, on the hot grill
& close the lid. Reduce the heat to about a high
medium. Let it go for 7-10 minutes, depending on
the relative thickness of the filet.

Lift the lid, and gently prod the filet. It should be
starting to firm up. Once it is firm, use a large
spatch & turn the entire filet to skin side up.
The filet will turn beautifully, because it is
mostly cooked, and very firm. Be sure to use
a large spatch, though, so you can control the
flip. Close the lid & let it go for another 3-5
minutes or so.

Remember, you can, and should, serve salmon,
tuna, and similar fish just this side of done. Not
done, or God forbid, over done. It is easy to
overcook salmon.

The secret to not sticking to the rack is making
the rack very, very, very hot before the fish hits
it. You also get some very pretty grill marks.

Serve with fresh lemon & enjoy!

--
Tank

This Space To Let. Ask for Charlie.

Karen O'Mara

"jmcquown" > wrote in message > ...
> I use Reynolds Wrap Release Non-stick Grill Foil (it's perforated) for fish
> on the grill - keeps the fish from flaking and falling through the grate but
> the fish is still grilled, not 'steamed' in a foil packet.

This product sounds like a winner. I have a basket-type of grill thing
that I use to bbq salmon but it's hecka pain to clean.

Karen

PENMART01

>(Karen O'Mara) writes:
>
>"jmcquown" wrote:
>> I use Reynolds Wrap Release Non-stick Grill Foil (it's perforated) for fish
>> on the grill - keeps the fish from flaking and falling through the grate

>but
>> the fish is still grilled, not 'steamed' in a foil packet.

>This product sounds like a winner. I have a basket-type of grill thing
>that I use to bbq salmon but it's hecka pain to clean.

Are you some kinda trailer trash... what a ridiculous product... what do you
think the outer leaves of iceberg lettuce are for... NEVER COOK FISH IN
ALUMINUM... folks living near bodies of water have been perfecting fish
grilling for thousands of years, they had no steenkin' aluminium. Perhaps they
used Alcoa Seaweed.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
Donna Rose

In article >,
says...
> I am grilling Salmon for company Saturday. I am looking for grilling time
> ( Salmon is 2.75 lb whole filet.) And I need a tasty way to season it but
> not Cajun or blackened.
>

> Thanks,
> Barbara

I did this recently for a dinner party and it was very well received:

2 - 3 pounds salmon filet
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons freshly grated ginger
1/4 cup tamari or soy sauce
1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice

Rinse the salmon under cold running water. Be sure to remove all the pin
bones by laying the salmon over a large bowl - that will cause the pin
bones to stick out so you can remove them (a needle-nose plier works
great for this). Pat the salmon dry with a paper towel. In a baking
dish large enough to hold the salmon flat, combine all the marinade
ingredients. Add the salmon and turn several times to coat well. Cover
with aluminum foil and refrigerate, marinating 2 to 4 hours. Turn
several times.

If you're cooking this on a grill, you probably need to cook it on
aluminum foil as it will be impossible to remove from the grill without
falling apart. Cook it over direct heat, have your burners set to
medium-high, and it should be done in 10 to 15 minutes or so - it really
depends on how you and your guests like your salmon cooked. You don't
have to turn it; simply close the cover while it's cooking.

Serve with Mango-Papaya Salsa, below:

1 mango, peeled, pitted and cut into 1/4 inch cubes
1 papaya, peeled, seeds removed and cut into 1/4 inch cubes
1 avocado, peeled, pitted and cut into 1/4 inch cubes
3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
1 to 2 jalapeno chiles, seeds and membranes removed, minced
1/2 red onion, cut into 1/4 inch dice
1/2 bunch cilantro, coarsely chopped

Combine all ingredients an hour or so before you plan on serving the
salmon, to give the flavors a chance to meld.

--
Donna
A pessimist believes all women are bad. An optimist hopes they are.
PENMART01

>Donna Rose TRAILER TRASHED a salmon:
>
>I did this:
>
>2 - 3 pounds salmon filet
>3 garlic cloves, minced
>2 tablespoons freshly grated ginger
>1/4 cup tamari or soy sauce
>1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
>
>Rinse the salmon under cold running water. Be sure to remove all the pin
>bones by laying the salmon over a large bowl - that will cause the pin
>bones to stick out so you can remove them (a needle-nose plier works
>great for this). Pat the salmon dry with a paper towel. In a baking
>dish large enough to hold the salmon flat, combine all the marinade
>ingredients. Add the salmon and turn several times to coat well. Cover
>with aluminum foil and refrigerate,

COVER WITH PLASTIC WRAP!

>If you're cooking this on a grill, you probably need to cook it on
>aluminum foil as it will be impossible to remove from the grill without
>falling apart.

Nonsense... use leaves, most any kinda leaves, lettuce, banana, ti, bok choy,
whatever... NEVER EVER ALUMINUM!

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
Peter Aitken

"Karen O'Mara" > wrote in message
m...
> "jmcquown" > wrote in message

> > I use Reynolds Wrap Release Non-stick Grill Foil (it's perforated) for

fish
> > on the grill - keeps the fish from flaking and falling through the grate

but
> > the fish is still grilled, not 'steamed' in a foil packet.

> This product sounds like a winner. I have a basket-type of grill thing
> that I use to bbq salmon but it's hecka pain to clean.
>
> Karen

If you grill fish until it is flaking it is overdone.

--
Peter Aitken

In rec.food.cooking, windriverfamily > wrote:

> Barbara, our family doesn't like "fishy" tasting fish, so I make salmon
> this simple way:
> *Marinate the salmon for 30-60 mins in a mix of tamari (soy) sauce and water
> to cover. I usually make it 50:50 but it'll depend on the saltiness of the
> tamari. If something like kikoman (sp?) I'd use more.
> *mix 1/2 cup of mayo with the juice of one lemon and 1.5 tsps of Lawry's
> seasoning salt if you have it handy.

Wow. Seemingly, they don't like "salmon" tasting fish either...

--
....I'm an air-conditioned gypsy...

- The Who

Not bad at all, considering that a gas grill is what is recommended.

In rec.food.cooking, Tank > wrote:

> Lightly oil the salmon, both sides. Sprinkle a
> little kosher salt, and crack some pepper on it.
> Lean closely, and whisper the word "dill".
> Seriously, sprinkle the dill very lightly.

> Get your grill stoking hot. The rack should be
> as hot as you can make it. You will not need
> foil.

> Place the filet, skin side down, on the hot grill
> & close the lid. Reduce the heat to about a high
> medium. Let it go for 7-10 minutes, depending on
> the relative thickness of the filet.

> Lift the lid, and gently prod the filet. It should be
> starting to firm up. Once it is firm, use a large
> spatch & turn the entire filet to skin side up.
> The filet will turn beautifully, because it is
> mostly cooked, and very firm. Be sure to use
> a large spatch, though, so you can control the
> flip. Close the lid & let it go for another 3-5
> minutes or so.

> Remember, you can, and should, serve salmon,
> tuna, and similar fish just this side of done. Not
> done, or God forbid, over done. It is easy to
> overcook salmon.

> The secret to not sticking to the rack is making
> the rack very, very, very hot before the fish hits
> it. You also get some very pretty grill marks.

> Serve with fresh lemon & enjoy!

> --
> Tank

> This Space To Let. Ask for Charlie.

--
....I'm an air-conditioned gypsy...

- The Who
Brian Barcus

Nancy Dooley wrote:

> pepper and lots of lemon juice. Wrap the package air-tight (I tent
> it) and put on the grill - medium hot - plan to turn it once. I do it
> for a total of about 10 minutes per inch of thickness.

If the fish is wrapped air tight it's just getting steamed. That
is easier to do in a steamer basket on the stove than on a grill.

The Irish believe that fairies are extremely fond of good wine.
The proof of the assertion is that in the olden days royalty
would leave a keg of wine out for them at night. Sure enough, it
was always gone in the morning.
- Irish Folklore
jmcquown

Peter Aitken wrote:
> "Karen O'Mara" > wrote in message
> m...
>> "jmcquown" > wrote in message

>>> I use Reynolds Wrap Release Non-stick Grill Foil (it's perforated)
>>> for fish on the grill - keeps the fish from flaking and falling
>>> through the grate but the fish is still grilled, not 'steamed' in a
>>> foil packet.

>> This product sounds like a winner. I have a basket-type of grill
>> thing that I use to bbq salmon but it's hecka pain to clean.
>>
>> Karen

> If you grill fish until it is flaking it is overdone.

Depends - if the middle is opaque but the edges are flaking it's because
they are thinner than the thickest part in the middle. I've never been able
to avoid some flaking on the edges of fillets without the fish being
undercooked. Fish *steaks* are more uniformly sized and are a different
story.

Jill

Karen O'Mara

"Peter Aitken" > wrote in message m>...
> If you grill fish until it is flaking it is overdone.

A lot of fish can be pretty fragile, even raw.

Karen
jmcquown

Karen O'Mara wrote:
> "Peter Aitken" > wrote in message
> m>...
>> If you grill fish until it is flaking it is overdone.

> A lot of fish can be pretty fragile, even raw.
>
> Karen

Yep - sole is very delicate. I wouldn't even attempt sole fillets on a
grill. Despite the comments about cooking in "leaves" - which I agree is a
preferred method in many countries and cuisines - I really like those
perforated foil sheets, Karen. Makes cleanup a snap, too.

Jill

alzelt

Z GIRL wrote:

> I am grilling Salmon for company Saturday. I am looking for grilling time
> ( Salmon is 2.75 lb whole filet.) And I need a tasty way to season it but
> not Cajun or blackened.
>

> Thanks,
> Barbara

When you grill it, place three cuts on each side of the salmon,
crosswise. Also, inside the cavity, place a few sprigs of herbs.
--
Alan

"If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion, and
avoid the people, you might better stay home."
--James Michener

alzelt

Nancy Dooley wrote:

> "Z GIRL" > wrote in message >...
>
>>I am grilling Salmon for company Saturday. I am looking for grilling time
>>( Salmon is 2.75 lb whole filet.) And I need a tasty way to season it but
>>not Cajun or blackened.
>>

>>Thanks,
>>Barbara

> I like to wrap whole or half salmon in heavy-duty foil (a couple
> layers) - butter the foil, put the salmon on, drop some big pats of
> butter along the top of the fish, sprinkle with some dill, a little
> pepper and lots of lemon juice. Wrap the package air-tight (I tent
> it) and put on the grill - medium hot - plan to turn it once. I do it
> for a total of about 10 minutes per inch of thickness.
>
> N.

Not trying to be a smartass, Nancy, but why bother with the grill? All
you are doing is steaming the fish? Grilling is a great way to do it.
Just rub it with some oil before placing it on the grill. Perhaps some
salt and pepper, with herbs and lemon stuffed inside. Don't forget to
slash the salmon three times on each side. Save the sauce for at the
table, if at all. If the salmon is really fresh, let it be with just
some lemon squeezed on top.
--
Alan

"If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion, and
avoid the people, you might better stay home."
--James Michener

alzelt

Peter Aitken wrote:

> "Karen O'Mara" > wrote in message
> m...
>
>>"jmcquown" > wrote in message

>>>I use Reynolds Wrap Release Non-stick Grill Foil (it's perforated) for

> fish
>
>>>on the grill - keeps the fish from flaking and falling through the grate

> but
>
>>>the fish is still grilled, not 'steamed' in a foil packet.

>>This product sounds like a winner. I have a basket-type of grill thing
>>that I use to bbq salmon but it's hecka pain to clean.
>>
>>Karen

> If you grill fish until it is flaking it is overdone.

AMEN!!!!!!
--
Alan

"If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion, and
avoid the people, you might better stay home."
--James Michener

PENMART01

>Yep - sole is very delicate. I wouldn't even attempt sole fillets on a
>grill.
>
>Jill

Sole grills beautifully. Gotta leave the skin intact (all grilled fish should
have its skin intact, not only holds together better, skin contains fat, adds
flavor, and keeps moist), and since sole fillets are fairly thin there is no
need to flip, grill skin down, then dust top with a bit of paprika. However,
I'd recommend grilling whole stuffed sole, or tornados of sole (wrap skinned
fillets around a shrimp, wrap in bacon, and skewer.

NO FRIGGIN' ALUMINUM!

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
Dave Smith

jmcquown wrote:

> Barbara, dill weed and lemon is always great with salmon. I would brush it
> with a little oil - some would say olive oil, that's up to you - and
> sprinkle lightly with dill weed, a little salt & pepper and perhaps put some
> thin slices of lemon on the top. You might also want to grill some
> zucchini, yellow squash, onion, etc. along with the salmon.

For me, a little salt and pepper along with a drizzle of olive oil or some
butter to keep it from drying out, adding some fresh drill on top for the last
few minutes. I don't think that salmon needs anything more than that.

> I use Reynolds Wrap Release Non-stick Grill Foil (it's perforated) for fish
> on the grill - keeps the fish from flaking and falling through the grate but
> the fish is still grilled, not 'steamed' in a foil packet.

I use one of those grill racks with the holes in the bottom for steaks. For
fillets with the skin on, I just place them on a hot grill skin side down and
turn the heat down. When it is done the flesh slips right off the skin.

> How long to cook? Until it flakes easily with a fork; turn it once with a
> wide spatula. About 8-10 minutes, I'd say. The good thing about this foil
> (and no, I don't work for them nor do I sell the product) is you can take it
> right off the grill, foil sheet and all, without fuss or muss.

I watch for the whitish coloured goop that oozes out of the fish and congeals on
the surface.

Grilled salmon was our Friday night dinner for years. We would grill either
steaks or fillets and eat them with fresh Italian bread and a simple salad of
Bibb lettuce, onion and avocado with a home made oil and vinegar dressing, and
wash it down with a bottle of Gewurtztraminer or an off dry Riesling.

jmcquown

alzelt wrote:
> Z GIRL wrote:
>
>> I am grilling Salmon for company Saturday. I am looking for grilling
>> time ( Salmon is 2.75 lb whole filet.) And I need a tasty way to
>> season it but not Cajun or blackened.
>>

>> Thanks,
>> Barbara
>>

> When you grill it, place three cuts on each side of the salmon,
> crosswise. Also, inside the cavity, place a few sprigs of herbs.

I'm thinking the terms "whole" and "fillet" are confusing. Of course, I
don't live in the Pacific NW where salmon swim upstream and get caught
fresh.

Jill

Z GIRL

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> alzelt wrote:
> > Z GIRL wrote:
> >
> >> I am grilling Salmon for company Saturday. I am looking for grilling
> >> time ( Salmon is 2.75 lb whole filet.) And I need a tasty way to
> >> season it but not Cajun or blackened.
> >>

> >> Thanks,
> >> Barbara
> >>

> > When you grill it, place three cuts on each side of the salmon,
> > crosswise. Also, inside the cavity, place a few sprigs of herbs.

> I'm thinking the terms "whole" and "fillet" are confusing. Of course, I
> don't live in the Pacific NW where salmon swim upstream and get caught
> fresh.
>
> Jill

It is a fillet, not a portion of the salmon with a cavity. I have decided to
grill without the foil. ( I did look for the grilling foil yesterday at
Meijers and they did not have it.) I will spray the grates with pam first
and get the grill very hot as recommended. I am not familiar with tamari. Is
it as salty as soy sauce? One of the guest is a Kidney patient and has to
have low sodium. You guys are great, I appreciate all of the ideas. ;-)

Barbara

In rec.food.cooking, Z GIRL > wrote:

> I will spray the grates with pam first

IME, Pam burns and tastes awful. Just make sure the grill is clean, heat
it up, and wipe with an oily rag. Putting a thin coat of oil on the fish
works well too. You want to make a tiny layer of microclimate on the
surface, so that it will get golden brown. If you use Italian Dressing,
the vinegar will break down the surface of teh fish a tiny bit, and allow
it to absorb some oil. The broken-down thickness will all turn into a
delicious crust.

--
....I'm an air-conditioned gypsy...

- The Who
blake murphy

On Wed, 26 May 2004 17:02:28 -0500, Brian Barcus >
wrote:

>Nancy Dooley wrote:
>
>> pepper and lots of lemon juice. Wrap the package air-tight (I tent
>> it) and put on the grill - medium hot - plan to turn it once. I do it
>> for a total of about 10 minutes per inch of thickness.
>>

>If the fish is wrapped air tight it's just getting steamed. That
>is easier to do in a steamer basket on the stove than on a grill.

i just deleted a similar reply to nancy. but then i thought maybe the
grill could be hotter and thus enhance things. at any rate there
would be no odor in the kitchen.

but about the only salmon i eat is lox.

your pal,
blake
Nancy Dooley

Brian Barcus > wrote in message >...
> Nancy Dooley wrote:
>
> > pepper and lots of lemon juice. Wrap the package air-tight (I tent
> > it) and put on the grill - medium hot - plan to turn it once. I do it
> > for a total of about 10 minutes per inch of thickness.
> >

> If the fish is wrapped air tight it's just getting steamed. That
> is easier to do in a steamer basket on the stove than on a grill.

Yeah, but you can also do potatoes and other veggies on the grill at
the same time and not heat up the kitchen. The odor, I don't mind.

N.

Nancy Dooley

alzelt > wrote in message >...
> Nancy Dooley wrote:
>
> > "Z GIRL" > wrote in message >...
> >
> >>I am grilling Salmon for company Saturday. I am looking for grilling time
> >>( Salmon is 2.75 lb whole filet.) And I need a tasty way to season it but
> >>not Cajun or blackened.
> >>

> >>Thanks,
> >>Barbara

> > I like to wrap whole or half salmon in heavy-duty foil (a couple
> > layers) - butter the foil, put the salmon on, drop some big pats of
> > butter along the top of the fish, sprinkle with some dill, a little
> > pepper and lots of lemon juice. Wrap the package air-tight (I tent
> > it) and put on the grill - medium hot - plan to turn it once. I do it
> > for a total of about 10 minutes per inch of thickness.
> >
> > N.

> Not trying to be a smartass, Nancy, but why bother with the grill? All
> you are doing is steaming the fish? Grilling is a great way to do it.
> Just rub it with some oil before placing it on the grill. Perhaps some
> salt and pepper, with herbs and lemon stuffed inside. Don't forget to
> slash the salmon three times on each side. Save the sauce for at the
> table, if at all. If the salmon is really fresh, let it be with just
> some lemon squeezed on top.

Until I get a fish rack or basket, I don't like doing fish "bare" on
the grill because it wants to fall apart. Like I said, doing salmon
this way keeps the heat out of the house.

N.
limey

"Nancy Dooley" >
> Until I get a fish rack or basket, I don't like doing fish "bare" on
> the grill because it wants to fall apart. Like I said, doing salmon
> this way keeps the heat out of the house.
>
> N.

Hi, Nancy. Jill McQuown had mentioned Reynolds non-stick aluminum foil for
the grill. I bought some the other day but haven't tried it yet - I plan to
use it for salmon. It's perforated, so I hope some of the grill flavor
comes through.

Dora

WardNA

>don't like doing fish "bare" on
>the grill because it wants to fall apart.

I've never had a problem with that (grilling a fileted half-salmon), as long as
the skin is attached. Does take a little careful handling, of course.

Neil
Nancy Dooley

"limey" > wrote in message >...
> "Nancy Dooley" >
> > Until I get a fish rack or basket, I don't like doing fish "bare" on
> > the grill because it wants to fall apart. Like I said, doing salmon
> > this way keeps the heat out of the house.
> >
> > N.

> Hi, Nancy. Jill McQuown had mentioned Reynolds non-stick aluminum foil for
> the grill. I bought some the other day but haven't tried it yet - I plan to
> use it for salmon. It's perforated, so I hope some of the grill flavor
> comes through.
>
> Dora

My Reynolds non-stick isn't perforated. It works great as a non-stick
liner, though.

N.