Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Favorite tip/technique you've learned on tv cooking shows?

Most of us here watch them. Julia, Jacques, The Bam Man and The
Perv.... But, have they ever really been of any real influence? Have
you ever really learned anything from these folks. Perhaps I should
ask, have you ever really changed how you cooked something because of
what you saw on these shows.

I certainly have. I thought about this as I was cooking scrambled
eggs for my breakfast, this morning. I used to cook scrambled eggs
like the old greasy spoon frycook. Hot and fast! Slightly browned
and dry as a bone. No wonder US eaters love ketchup on their
scrambled eggs. No more. I learned from julia how to cook scrambled
eggs like the French do it. Low and slow and with nothing added.
It's probably the single biggest change I've made in my egg cooking
over the years.

The difference is astounding. I discoverd that adding milk to eggs
just makes them watery. Not better tasting, not an improvement in
texture, just watery. If you cook your scrambled eggs like most
Americans, the water leaches out and you continue cooking until it
evaporates and it leaves the eggs almost drier than if you'd left the
milk out. Also, cooking them hot and fast kills the rich flavor of
the yolks. The French method preserves the luscious rich texture and
flavor of the yolk. It almost seems to enhance it, like you were
enjoying a Hollandaise sauce. Vive la France! ...at least for eggs.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

No wonder US eaters love ketchup on their
> scrambled eggs.

Where did you get that idea?

My mom took me to a baby-sitters house, the baby sitter put me in a
high-chair. She served me an egg and put ketchup on the top of it.
Mon Dieu! I can still remember that horrible taste. In fact, I'm
getting nauseous thinking about it 68 years later!

I often wonder who the people might be that like ketchup on their
scrambled eggs -- speak up!

Born in the USA.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:

> Most of us here watch them. Julia, Jacques, The Bam Man and The
> Perv.... But, have they ever really been of any real influence? Have
> you ever really learned anything from these folks. Perhaps I should
> ask, have you ever really changed how you cooked something because of
> what you saw on these shows.

Probably the most significant day-to-day influence was fresh garlic
(technically not fresh, but whatever) and freshly-ground pepper.

Brian

won't shut up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 9, 2:52 pm, Dee Dee > wrote:
> No wonder US eaters love ketchup on their
>
> > scrambled eggs.

> Where did you get that idea?
>
> My mom took me to a baby-sitters house, the baby sitter put me in a
> high-chair. She served me an egg and put ketchup on the top of it.
> Mon Dieu! I can still remember that horrible taste. In fact, I'm
> getting nauseous thinking about it 68 years later!
>
> I often wonder who the people might be that like ketchup on their
> scrambled eggs -- speak up!

I ate ketchup on scrambled eggs until I went to college,
and I was too embarrassed to do it there. I did it
for the reasons described by notbob.

I have subsequently learned to cook scrambled eggs,
although since I don't stir them much while cooking
I usually think of them as "wrinkled eggs". When they
just start to set, I draw the spatula through them and
make big wrinkles in the curd (and run some of the
unset egg down onto the pan). When that has set,
I flip them over and turn off the heat, letting them finish
on the residual heat of the pan.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 9, 11:52 am, Steve Wertz > wrote:
> My mother has. For years I've been telling her things such as
> "Never put your tomatoes in the refrigerator", and "It's fine to
> salt meat before you cook it". But she never believes me.
>
> And then one day I'll see some tomatoes on the counter at her
> house and I'll ask her about it, "Oh, Sandra Lee says to never put
> tomatoes in the refrigerator."
>
> Grrrrrrr.
>
> No matter what I tell her about cooking/food, she won't believe it
> until she see's it on FoodTV or PBS. It ****es me off to no end
> that she'll believe Emeril and Sandra Lee (of all people), but
> nothing I've been trying to tell her for 15+ years.

heheheh that's kinda a cute post for Mother's Day!

Karen

Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:

> Most of us here watch them. Julia, Jacques, The Bam Man and The
> Perv.... But, have they ever really been of any real influence? Have
> you ever really learned anything from these folks. Perhaps I should
> ask, have you ever really changed how you cooked something because of
> what you saw on these shows.
>
> I certainly have. I thought about this as I was cooking scrambled
> eggs for my breakfast, this morning. I used to cook scrambled eggs
> like the old greasy spoon frycook. Hot and fast! Slightly browned
> and dry as a bone. No wonder US eaters love ketchup on their
> scrambled eggs. No more. I learned from julia how to cook scrambled
> eggs like the French do it. Low and slow and with nothing added.
> It's probably the single biggest change I've made in my egg cooking
> over the years.
>
> The difference is astounding. I discoverd that adding milk to eggs
> just makes them watery. Not better tasting, not an improvement in
> texture, just watery. If you cook your scrambled eggs like most
> Americans, the water leaches out and you continue cooking until it
> evaporates and it leaves the eggs almost drier than if you'd left the
> milk out. Also, cooking them hot and fast kills the rich flavor of
> the yolks. The French method preserves the luscious rich texture and
> flavor of the yolk. It almost seems to enhance it, like you were
> enjoying a Hollandaise sauce. Vive la France! ...at least for eggs.
>
> nb

I've learned a number of things, both from tv cooking shows and here
on this forum. Using evoo and butter to saute is one, hot pan, then
oil, then food and not disturbing it until it releases is another.
Oiling the steak instead of the pan when panfrying steak. I learned how
to stop the breading from falling off my chops and chicken etc. Memory
fails me now to list many, but my cooking has changed in the last few
years from watching cooking shows and reading this group.
A big thank you to the whole group.......Sharon.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:

> Most of us here watch them. Julia, Jacques, The Bam Man and The
> Perv.... But, have they ever really been of any real influence? Have
> you ever really learned anything from these folks. Perhaps I should
> ask, have you ever really changed how you cooked something because of
> what you saw on these shows.
>
> I certainly have. I thought about this as I was cooking scrambled
> eggs for my breakfast, this morning. I used to cook scrambled eggs
> like the old greasy spoon frycook. Hot and fast! Slightly browned
> and dry as a bone. No wonder US eaters love ketchup on their
> scrambled eggs. No more. I learned from julia how to cook scrambled
> eggs like the French do it. Low and slow and with nothing added.
> It's probably the single biggest change I've made in my egg cooking
> over the years.
>
> The difference is astounding. I discoverd that adding milk to eggs
> just makes them watery. Not better tasting, not an improvement in
> texture, just watery. If you cook your scrambled eggs like most
> Americans, the water leaches out and you continue cooking until it
> evaporates and it leaves the eggs almost drier than if you'd left the
> milk out. Also, cooking them hot and fast kills the rich flavor of
> the yolks. The French method preserves the luscious rich texture and
> flavor of the yolk. It almost seems to enhance it, like you were
> enjoying a Hollandaise sauce. Vive la France! ...at least for eggs.
>
> nb

Something I've always done, instinctively, was to gently cook
scrambled eggs, but I do use a bit of milk. If they are still moist
when I take them out of the pan, the milk doesn't separate, in my
experience....Sharon
Posted to rec.food.cooking

One time on Usenet, Steve Wertz > said:
> On Wed, 09 May 2007 12:20:44 -0500, notbob wrote:
>
> > Most of us here watch them. Julia, Jacques, The Bam Man and The
> > Perv.... But, have they ever really been of any real influence? Have
> > you ever really learned anything from these folks.

> My mother has. For years I've been telling her things such as
> "Never put your tomatoes in the refrigerator", and "It's fine to
> salt meat before you cook it". But she never believes me.
>
> And then one day I'll see some tomatoes on the counter at her
> house and I'll ask her about it, "Oh, Sandra Lee says to never put
> tomatoes in the refrigerator."
>
> Grrrrrrr.

You're not supposed to put tomatoes in the fridge? Won't they get
overripe if you don't..?

Jani (Who doesn't really watch TV chefs much)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Little Malice" > wrote in message
> One time on Usenet, Steve Wertz > said:
>> On Wed, 09 May 2007 12:20:44 -0500, notbob wrote:
>>
>> > Most of us here watch them. Julia, Jacques, The Bam Man and The
>> > Perv.... But, have they ever really been of any real influence? Have
>> > you ever really learned anything from these folks.

>> My mother has. For years I've been telling her things such as
>> "Never put your tomatoes in the refrigerator", and "It's fine to
>> salt meat before you cook it". But she never believes me.
>>
>> And then one day I'll see some tomatoes on the counter at her
>> house and I'll ask her about it, "Oh, Sandra Lee says to never put
>> tomatoes in the refrigerator."
>>
>> Grrrrrrr.

> You're not supposed to put tomatoes in the fridge? Won't they get
> overripe if you don't..?
>
> Jani (Who doesn't really watch TV chefs much)

Good Golly, NO! hehe
Refrigeration not only kills the flavor in tomatoes, it also changes the texture and
they end up watery tasting and mealy. Yuck.

kimberly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dee Dee" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> No wonder US eaters love ketchup on their
>> scrambled eggs.

> Where did you get that idea?
>
> My mom took me to a baby-sitters house, the baby sitter put me in a
> high-chair. She served me an egg and put ketchup on the top of it.
> Mon Dieu! I can still remember that horrible taste. In fact, I'm
> getting nauseous thinking about it 68 years later!
>
> I often wonder who the people might be that like ketchup on their
> scrambled eggs -- speak up!
>
> Born in the USA.
> Dee Dee

My dad's friend Mike used to put ketchup on everything, including eggs. Mashed
potatoes, chicken, green beans, you name it. Disgusting, if you ask me

On the other hand, a gal at his office puts grape jelly on her eggs. Now, I think I'd
rather have to eat the ketchup, but still I'd prefer neither

kimberly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 09 May 2007 12:20:44 -0500, notbob > wrote:

>Most of us here watch them. Julia, Jacques, The Bam Man and The
>Perv.... But, have they ever really been of any real influence? Have
>you ever really learned anything from these folks. Perhaps I should
>ask, have you ever really changed how you cooked something because of
>what you saw on these shows.

Ever since I saw how Alton Brown cooks hamburgers, I haven't done them
any other way.

Just the ground beef and salt. No egg, no bread crumbs, no ketchup, no
other crap. Just the ground beef and salt.

My husband agrees that hamburgers are much better this way.

Jo Anne
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 9, 5:05 pm, Jo Anne > wrote:
> Ever since I saw how Alton Brown cooks hamburgers, I haven't done them
> any other way.
>
> Just the ground beef and salt. No egg, no bread crumbs, no ketchup, no
> other crap. Just the ground beef and salt.
>
> My husband agrees that hamburgers are much better this way.

I favor the Less is More category in a lot of things... burgers,
pizza, salads. Especially pizza. My friend in NY calls combination
pizzas "garbage pizza"...

Karen

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 9, 2:52 pm, Steve Wertz > wrote:
> On Wed, 09 May 2007 12:20:44 -0500, notbob wrote:
> > Most of us here watch them. Julia, Jacques, The Bam Man and The
> > Perv.... But, have they ever really been of any real influence? Have
> > you ever really learned anything from these folks.

> My mother has. For years I've been telling her things such as
> "Never put your tomatoes in the refrigerator", and "It's fine to
> salt meat before you cook it". But she never believes me.
>
> And then one day I'll see some tomatoes on the counter at her
> house and I'll ask her about it, "Oh, Sandra Lee says to never put
> tomatoes in the refrigerator."
>
> Grrrrrrr.
>
> No matter what I tell her about cooking/food, she won't believe it
> until she see's it on FoodTV or PBS. It ****es me off to no end
> that she'll believe Emeril and Sandra Lee (of all people), but
> nothing I've been trying to tell her for 15+ years.
>
> -sw

Reminds me of a Rodney Dangerfield "no respect" joke.
I completely understand. I've dealt with this, too.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 09 May 2007 12:20:44 -0500, notbob wrote:
>
>> Most of us here watch them. Julia, Jacques, The Bam Man and The
>> Perv.... But, have they ever really been of any real influence? Have
>> you ever really learned anything from these folks.

> My mother has. For years I've been telling her things such as
> "Never put your tomatoes in the refrigerator", and "It's fine to
> salt meat before you cook it". But she never believes me.
>
> And then one day I'll see some tomatoes on the counter at her
> house and I'll ask her about it, "Oh, Sandra Lee says to never put
> tomatoes in the refrigerator."
>
> Grrrrrrr.
>
> No matter what I tell her about cooking/food, she won't believe it
> until she see's it on FoodTV or PBS. It ****es me off to no end
> that she'll believe Emeril and Sandra Lee (of all people), but
> nothing I've been trying to tell her for 15+ years.
>
> -sw

You let your mother watch Sandra Lee??? Your own Mother?! I'm aghast!!!
What kind of a son are you? Orrrr... do you encourage her to watch? Just
so you can snidely proclaim that you are the better cook! Yeah, I bet
that's your deviously, evil plan! You should be ashamed of yourself, Mr.
Steven Wertz, ashamed! Go to your room! And no internet for a week!
You're grounded!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dee Dee" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> No wonder US eaters love ketchup on their
>> scrambled eggs.

> Where did you get that idea?
>
> My mom took me to a baby-sitters house, the baby sitter put me in a
> high-chair. She served me an egg and put ketchup on the top of it.
> Mon Dieu! I can still remember that horrible taste. In fact, I'm
> getting nauseous thinking about it 68 years later!
>
> I often wonder who the people might be that like ketchup on their
> scrambled eggs -- speak up!

I saw a Japanese indy film called "Tampopo." I guess you could say it was
about life in a bowl of noodles. Anyway, in one scene an omelet is expertly
made, French style, slit open and topped with rice and ketchup that had been
tossed in a skillet. Sounded awful, but I made one and it was pretty good.

Then there are the classic egg sandwiches which wouldn't be complete without
ketchup.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2007-05-10, Michael "Dog3" Lonergan > wrote:

> cutting board and threw a clove of garlic on it. I whapped it good with the
> flat side of a big meat cleaver and I'll be damned if it didn't work

Yep. Is there a single person on the tv available planet that doesn't
know how to dice/mince an onion?

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:
> Most of us here watch them. Julia, Jacques, The Bam Man and The
> Perv.... But, have they ever really been of any real influence? Have
> you ever really learned anything from these folks. Perhaps I should
> ask, have you ever really changed how you cooked something because of
> what you saw on these shows.
>
> I certainly have. I thought about this as I was cooking scrambled
> eggs for my breakfast, this morning. I used to cook scrambled eggs
> like the old greasy spoon frycook. Hot and fast! Slightly browned
> and dry as a bone. No wonder US eaters love ketchup on their
> scrambled eggs. No more. I learned from julia how to cook scrambled
> eggs like the French do it. Low and slow and with nothing added.
> It's probably the single biggest change I've made in my egg cooking
> over the years.
>
> The difference is astounding. I discoverd that adding milk to eggs
> just makes them watery. Not better tasting, not an improvement in
> texture, just watery. If you cook your scrambled eggs like most
> Americans, the water leaches out and you continue cooking until it
> evaporates and it leaves the eggs almost drier than if you'd left the
> milk out. Also, cooking them hot and fast kills the rich flavor of
> the yolks. The French method preserves the luscious rich texture and
> flavor of the yolk. It almost seems to enhance it, like you were
> enjoying a Hollandaise sauce. Vive la France! ...at least for eggs.
>
> nb

Thats why I like them "easy over". They aren't dried out and all they
really need is a grind of pepper.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:
> On 2007-05-10, Michael "Dog3" Lonergan > wrote:
>
>> cutting board and threw a clove of garlic on it. I whapped it good with the
>> flat side of a big meat cleaver and I'll be damned if it didn't work

> Yep. Is there a single person on the tv available planet that doesn't
> know how to dice/mince an onion?
>
> nb

There must be or you wouldn't see bags of chopped onions (next to the
precut potatoes) in the store.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2007-05-10, George > wrote:

> Thats why I like them "easy over". They aren't dried out and all they
> really need is a grind of pepper.

That's my preference, too, George. I only do scrambled when I'm
adding things like onions, garlic, and cheese.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2007-05-10, George > wrote:

> There must be or you wouldn't see bags of chopped onions (next to the
> precut potatoes) in the store.

I haven't run across those, but I have no doubt. In fact, I was
shocked to see pre-cut apples being offered. Not peeled, just cut
into sections. What's next? ...pre-peeled bananas? Arrrgh...

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote

> On 2007-05-10, George > wrote:
>
>> There must be or you wouldn't see bags of chopped onions (next to the
>> precut potatoes) in the store.

> I haven't run across those, but I have no doubt.

Once in a while I buy frozen chopped onions and green peppers.
They come in pretty handy on occasion. Of course, you can
chop your own and freeze them, and I've done that.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy wrote on Thu, 10 May 2007 09:45:51 -0400:

??>> On 2007-05-10, George > wrote:
??>>
??>>> There must be or you wouldn't see bags of chopped onions
??>>> (next to the precut potatoes) in the store.
??>>
??>> I haven't run across those, but I have no doubt.

NY> Once in a while I buy frozen chopped onions and green
NY> peppers. They come in pretty handy on occasion. Of course,
NY> you can chop your own and freeze them, and I've done that.

The lever and grid type (Alligator) onion choppers available at
many stores now, not just Williams-Sonoma, are fast, inexpensive
and easy to clean, especially in a dishwasher.

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nexis" wrote:

> On the other hand, a gal at his office puts grape jelly on her eggs. Now, I think I'd
> rather have to eat the ketchup, but still I'd prefer neither

I always think of ketchup on eggs as the poor man's tex-mex. Jam/
jelly/preserves omlets are quite popular, and fruits in all their
forms are served in crepes... I see nothing amiss about fruit with
eggs.... an omlet with a warm compote topping is wonderful. I guess
you have no idea what's blintzes. You can always tell a texan who
can't cook, they douse everything in hot sauce, even eggs.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:
> Most of us here watch them. Julia, Jacques, The Bam Man and The
> Perv.... But, have they ever really been of any real influence? Have
> you ever really learned anything from these folks. Perhaps I should
> ask, have you ever really changed how you cooked something because of
> what you saw on these shows.

I don't think it was from a celebrity chef, but it was a cooking show
probably on PBS where I saw the chef make a cheesecake in a regular pan,
not a springform pan. They showed how they prepared the pan, baked the
cake and took it out of the pan in one piece and plated it. I haven't
done it in a while, but I used the technique quite a few times and it
worked just fine. I really liked the resulting cheesecake much better.

--
Caryn
Caryn Nadelberg - Mommy to Sam and Queen of the May
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
Dee Dee > wrote:
>> No wonder US eaters love ketchup on their scrambled eggs.

>I often wonder who the people might be that like ketchup on
>their scrambled eggs -- speak up!

I used to when I was a kid -- The taste of eggs by
themselves made me queasy, and without something to cover
it up, I'd start gagging. Ketchup, crumbled bacon, whatever.
I still don't like the taste of plain, unadorned eggs.

I haven't done it in decades, though. Partly, at the age of
52, I don't have to eat eggs if I don't want to. When I do
eat eggs, it's ususally an omlette with goodies inside. I
made one with ham and Swiss cheese the other day that was
very tasty.

And I used Alton Brown's omlette-making technique; warmed
eggs, beat with a fork, etc. I tried it after seeing his
program on omlettes, and it sure works a lot better than
what I used to do. Though I do add lots more filling than
he said was couth.

--
Mike Van Pelt | Wikipedia. The roulette wheel of knowledge.
mvp at calweb.com | --Blair P. Houghton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Caryn Nadelberg wrote:
> notbob wrote:
>> Most of us here watch them. Julia, Jacques, The Bam Man and The
>> Perv.... But, have they ever really been of any real influence? Have
>> you ever really learned anything from these folks. Perhaps I should
>> ask, have you ever really changed how you cooked something because of
>> what you saw on these shows.

> I don't think it was from a celebrity chef, but it was a cooking show
> probably on PBS where I saw the chef make a cheesecake in a regular pan,
> not a springform pan. They showed how they prepared the pan, baked the
> cake and took it out of the pan in one piece and plated it. I haven't
> done it in a while, but I used the technique quite a few times and it
> worked just fine. I really liked the resulting cheesecake much better.

Alton brown taught me about the water bath for cheesecake. I've
actually learned a lot from him.

--
"All of those faeries and duels and mad queens and so on, and no one
quoted old Billy Shakespeare. Not even once."

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mike Van Pelt wrote:
> In article .com>,
> Dee Dee > wrote:
>>> No wonder US eaters love ketchup on their scrambled eggs.

>> I often wonder who the people might be that like ketchup on
>> their scrambled eggs -- speak up!

> I used to when I was a kid -- The taste of eggs by
> themselves made me queasy, and without something to cover
> it up, I'd start gagging. Ketchup, crumbled bacon, whatever.
> I still don't like the taste of plain, unadorned eggs.

Scott always puts ketchup on eggs. Turns my stomach. As a kid I'd put
A-1 steak sauce on them...my grandmother used to make what she called
"Egg potato omelette" where she'd just fry off potatoes, bell pepper and
onion and pour egg over it and let it cook. It was good but better with
A-1.

--
"All of those faeries and duels and mad queens and so on, and no one
quoted old Billy Shakespeare. Not even once."
- Billy the Werewolf, The Dresden Files
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:

> Most of us here watch them. Julia, Jacques, The Bam Man and The
> Perv.... But, have they ever really been of any real influence? Have
> you ever really learned anything from these folks. Perhaps I should
> ask, have you ever really changed how you cooked something because of
> what you saw on these shows.
>
> I certainly have. I thought about this as I was cooking scrambled
> eggs for my breakfast, this morning. I used to cook scrambled eggs
> like the old greasy spoon frycook. Hot and fast! Slightly browned
> and dry as a bone. No wonder US eaters love ketchup on their
> scrambled eggs. No more. I learned from julia how to cook scrambled
> eggs like the French do it. Low and slow and with nothing added.
> It's probably the single biggest change I've made in my egg cooking
> over the years.
>
> The difference is astounding. I discoverd that adding milk to eggs
> just makes them watery. Not better tasting, not an improvement in
> texture, just watery.

I have not found this to be true in my experience.

One of the things I got from a tv chef was how to
do hard-boiled eggs - cover with cold water, bring
pot to boil, cover and turn off heat, let stand,
12 minutes (well it used to be 20 minutes, then I
heard 12 and tried that and it was better, I've also
heard 10), drain, rinse with cold water, drain,
shake pan to crack shells, peel.

Also, the Frug got me onto the wooden lemon reamer.
I use that thing a lot!

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2007-05-10, Kate Connally > wrote:

> Also, the Frug got me onto the wooden lemon reamer.
> I use that thing a lot!

I used to use one. Then I discovered Mexican-style lime squeezers. No
contest. I tossed the wood thingie. They're only about $4 at Mexican
store.

http://www.dvo.com/lime-squeezer.html

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kate Connally so bravely stated:
> notbob wrote:
>
>> Most of us here watch them. Julia, Jacques, The Bam Man and The
>> Perv.... But, have they ever really been of any real influence? Have
>> you ever really learned anything from these folks. Perhaps I should
>> ask, have you ever really changed how you cooked something because of
>> what you saw on these shows.
>> I certainly have. I thought about this as I was cooking scrambled
>> eggs for my breakfast, this morning. I used to cook scrambled eggs
>> like the old greasy spoon frycook. Hot and fast! Slightly browned
>> and dry as a bone. No wonder US eaters love ketchup on their
>> scrambled eggs. No more. I learned from julia how to cook scrambled
>> eggs like the French do it. Low and slow and with nothing added.
>> It's probably the single biggest change I've made in my egg cooking
>> over the years.
>> The difference is astounding. I discoverd that adding milk to eggs
>> just makes them watery. Not better tasting, not an improvement in
>> texture, just watery.

> I have not found this to be true in my experience.
>
> One of the things I got from a tv chef was how to
> do hard-boiled eggs - cover with cold water, bring
> pot to boil, cover and turn off heat, let stand,
> 12 minutes (well it used to be 20 minutes, then I
> heard 12 and tried that and it was better, I've also
> heard 10), drain, rinse with cold water, drain,
> shake pan to crack shells, peel.
>
> Also, the Frug got me onto the wooden lemon reamer.
> I use that thing a lot!
>
> Kate

The Frug got me started on adding water instead of milk to my omelets at
about 1 Tbs per egg. He said the milk toughened the egg.

For hard boiled eggs, I use a blancher. Set a dozen eggs into the basket
and place that in the pot. Then cover with about 1" of water and remove
the basket and eggs. Add a bit of salt to the water and add the basket
with eggs back into the water. Set the timer for 11 minutes. When the
water comes back to a roll, turn to medium and cover for the rest of the
boil. Remove eggs immediately and set to cool. Some eggs will crack, but
most won't and the eggs won't be hard and dry. The center might even be
a bit creamy, so suit yourself.

Any recipe that says 'put it in cold and bring to a boil' before I start
timing it isn't a recipe for me. You know that a watched pot never
boils, only when you turn away so you never get the timing right ;-)

I hated the overcooked 'green' yolks my mother used to cook, so Easter
was only fun to color and find the eggs, never to eat them.

--
You can lead a horse to water, but you can't hold his head under 'til
the bubbles stop.
><<XX>:> Buddy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Buddy wrote:

> I hated the overcooked 'green' yolks my mother used to cook, so Easter
> was only fun to color and find the eggs, never to eat them.

My egg timer turns colors when the eggs are done. Works great every
time. I bought it at an outlet store for $1.99.

http://www.amazon.com/Norpro-Egg-Rit.../dp/B00004UE75

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 9, 2:52 pm, Dee Dee > wrote:
> No wonder US eaters love ketchup on their
>
> > scrambled eggs.

> Where did you get that idea?
>
> My mom took me to a baby-sitters house, the baby sitter put me in a
> high-chair. She served me an egg and put ketchup on the top of it.
> Mon Dieu! I can still remember that horrible taste. In fact, I'm
> getting nauseous thinking about it 68 years later!
>
> I often wonder who the people might be that like ketchup on their
> scrambled eggs -- speak up!

Required with my mother's scrambled eggs. Amost anything helped. I
don't think I've used ketchup since.

John Kane, Kingston ON Canada

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 9, 12:20 pm, notbob > wrote:

>I used to cook scrambled eggs
> like the old greasy spoon frycook. Hot and fast! Slightly browned
> and dry as a bone. No wonder US eaters love ketchup on their
> scrambled eggs. No more.

Several years ago, I had a lady friend whose teen-aged daughter (I was
an old fart then and still am) brought a bottle of ketchup to the
table no matter what I had cooked. I was a very good cook then, and I
am, still. It was part of what led to our breaking up.

David, happily married to someone else for a bunch of years

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ravenlynne wrote:

> Alton brown taught me about the water bath for cheesecake. I've
> actually learned a lot from him.

It wasn't Alton Brown, this was pre-food network days, but it did use a
water bath!

--
Caryn
Caryn Nadelberg - Mommy to Sam and Queen of the May
www.carynen.blogspot.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 10, 9:34 am, notbob > wrote:
> On 2007-05-10, George > wrote:
>
> > There must be or you wouldn't see bags of chopped onions (next to the
> > precut potatoes) in the store.

> I haven't run across those, but I have no doubt. In fact, I was
> shocked to see pre-cut apples being offered. Not peeled, just cut
> into sections. What's next? ...pre-peeled bananas? Arrrgh...
>
> nb

A month or so ago we were eating in a restaurant where the cooks were
in view. Most of the time we were waiting on our food to be cooked, a
sous-chef was cutting up apples into chunks. There was a wood-burning
open oven nearby. During the time we had consumed the first course,
she had cut up a baking tray full. I resisted the temptation to tell
her how to cut them up more easily and faster. I was wondering what
she would do with them, but she sprinkled sage leaves over them and
nothing else, then they went into the wood-burning oven.

Now if you cut apples that slowly, then maybe there is a call for pre-
cut apples.
Dee Dee