Posted to rec.food.cooking
biig biig is offline

Default Favorite tip/technique you've learned on tv cooking shows?

notbob wrote:

> Most of us here watch them. Julia, Jacques, The Bam Man and The
> Perv.... But, have they ever really been of any real influence? Have
> you ever really learned anything from these folks. Perhaps I should
> ask, have you ever really changed how you cooked something because of
> what you saw on these shows.
>
> I certainly have. I thought about this as I was cooking scrambled
> eggs for my breakfast, this morning. I used to cook scrambled eggs
> like the old greasy spoon frycook. Hot and fast! Slightly browned
> and dry as a bone. No wonder US eaters love ketchup on their
> scrambled eggs. No more. I learned from julia how to cook scrambled
> eggs like the French do it. Low and slow and with nothing added.
> It's probably the single biggest change I've made in my egg cooking
> over the years.
>
> The difference is astounding. I discoverd that adding milk to eggs
> just makes them watery. Not better tasting, not an improvement in
> texture, just watery. If you cook your scrambled eggs like most
> Americans, the water leaches out and you continue cooking until it
> evaporates and it leaves the eggs almost drier than if you'd left the
> milk out. Also, cooking them hot and fast kills the rich flavor of
> the yolks. The French method preserves the luscious rich texture and
> flavor of the yolk. It almost seems to enhance it, like you were
> enjoying a Hollandaise sauce. Vive la France! ...at least for eggs.
>
> nb

I've learned a number of things, both from tv cooking shows and here
on this forum. Using evoo and butter to saute is one, hot pan, then
oil, then food and not disturbing it until it releases is another.
Oiling the steak instead of the pan when panfrying steak. I learned how
to stop the breading from falling off my chops and chicken etc. Memory
fails me now to list many, but my cooking has changed in the last few
years from watching cooking shows and reading this group.
A big thank you to the whole group.......Sharon.