Posted to rec.food.cooking
Kate Connally Kate Connally is offline

Default Favorite tip/technique you've learned on tv cooking shows?

notbob wrote:

> Most of us here watch them. Julia, Jacques, The Bam Man and The
> Perv.... But, have they ever really been of any real influence? Have
> you ever really learned anything from these folks. Perhaps I should
> ask, have you ever really changed how you cooked something because of
> what you saw on these shows.
>
> I certainly have. I thought about this as I was cooking scrambled
> eggs for my breakfast, this morning. I used to cook scrambled eggs
> like the old greasy spoon frycook. Hot and fast! Slightly browned
> and dry as a bone. No wonder US eaters love ketchup on their
> scrambled eggs. No more. I learned from julia how to cook scrambled
> eggs like the French do it. Low and slow and with nothing added.
> It's probably the single biggest change I've made in my egg cooking
> over the years.
>
> The difference is astounding. I discoverd that adding milk to eggs
> just makes them watery. Not better tasting, not an improvement in
> texture, just watery.

I have not found this to be true in my experience.

One of the things I got from a tv chef was how to
do hard-boiled eggs - cover with cold water, bring
pot to boil, cover and turn off heat, let stand,
12 minutes (well it used to be 20 minutes, then I
heard 12 and tried that and it was better, I've also
heard 10), drain, rinse with cold water, drain,
shake pan to crack shells, peel.

Also, the Frug got me onto the wooden lemon reamer.
I use that thing a lot!

Kate

--
Kate Connally