Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Thanksgiving cooking lessons learned?

I learned one and will remember it. I am not bright enough to double the
pecan pie recipe. It seemed easy enough. Wrong. With the phone ringing
and folks coming in, the dog wanting to participate and assorted
distractions, I simply lost count of which bowl I'd added what to. One pie
is not very sweet and I just may have missed adding the sugar. Or
something.
Next time, I think I'll wait until I get the first pie in the oven
before I even begin with the 2nd one. Polly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 25, 7:36*am, "Polly Esther" > wrote:in
part...
>Next time, I think I'll wait until I get the first pie in the oven
> before I even begin with the 2nd one.

Not Thanksgiving, but two years ago I learned that for one of the six
different breads I bake for Christmas givings, 40 loaves each, this
one batter cannot be quadrupled as the others can. I have to mix the
batter for my Cranberry Apricot Quick Bread in single batches.
Presents no problem other than keeping the ingredients lined up in the
proper order so as to not forget the proper assembly order as I bake a
mix whuile preparing the next. Perhaps it is because this one bakes
up more dense than the others do, mixing even a double batch of it
just becomes too much for my mixer to cope with.
Oh, come to think of it, I did have just one Thanksgiving ingredient
mishap. I always make a big batch of cranberry chutney that family
and friends depend on. For this year of bakings and stove top doings,
I bought a very big and very heavy "no burn" pot that is a blessing
because nothing sticks at the bottom, and it is a perfect pan for
making the chutney stove top instead of in the oven and having to
slide the pot out to stir it four or five times during the two hour
bake.
I've written my recipe for using either four or six bags of
cranberries, and this year when making it for four, I must have
entirely missed the sugar add instead of decreasing it. I taste as I
mix when making something for the first time, and rarely do that when
making again from what I've "perfected" and noted on on my printed,
final page for a recipe. Big mistake, that chutney was more than just
tart, it was all but useless. Thank goodness I learned of the sour
with a first take of some to a dinner invite, so came home yesterday
to empty seven containers into the pot to simmer again with the needed
sugar for the rest. Whew!
....Picky

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/25/2011 8:36 AM, Polly Esther wrote:
> I learned one and will remember it. I am not bright enough to double the
> pecan pie recipe. It seemed easy enough. Wrong. With the phone ringing
> and folks coming in, the dog wanting to participate and assorted
> distractions, I simply lost count of which bowl I'd added what to. One
> pie is not very sweet and I just may have missed adding the sugar. Or
> something.
> Next time, I think I'll wait until I get the first pie in the oven
> before I even begin with the 2nd one. Polly

There is an even simpler solution, one I learned many years ago. When
making several things at once, especially more than one of the same item
at once, and being interrupted during the making of them, taste each
thing before you pour it into the crust/shell/mold/casserole
dish/whatever. Many, many disappointments and/or embarrassments can be
avoided using this method.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 25, 10:36*am, "Polly Esther" > wrote:
> Ilearned one and will rememberit.*Iam not bright enough to double thepecan pie recipe.*It seemed easy enough. *Wrong. *With the phone ringingand folks comingin, the dog wanting to participate and assorteddistractions,Isimply lost countofwhich bowlI'd added what to. *One pieis not very sweet andIjust may have missed adding the sugar. *Orsomething.* * Next time,IthinkI'll wait untilIget the first piein the ovenbeforeIeven begin with the 2nd one. *Polly

Or you can make the pies a day or two beforehand. Along with other
stuff.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Nov 25, 7:36*am, "Polly Esther" > wrote:
> I learned one and will remember it. *I am not bright enough to double the
> pecan pie recipe. *It seemed easy enough. *Wrong. *With the phone ringing
> and folks coming in, the dog wanting to participate and assorted
> distractions, I simply lost count of which bowl I'd added what to. *One pie
> is not very sweet and I just may have missed adding the sugar. *Or
> something.
> * * Next time, I think I'll wait until I get the first pie in the oven
> before I even begin with the 2nd one. *Polly

I learned how to make a gluten free cornbread dressing this year. I
used a loaf of gluten free white bread and cubed it and toasted it dry
to use as the bread portion along with a gluten free cornbread that I
made. I also added a chicken and herb sausage that I had cooked off
and diced up. Lots of onion, celery, parsley, sage and a bit of
marjoram. It was excellent and those who didn't know it was gluten
free had no clue.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
ImStillMags > wrote:

> I learned how to make a gluten free cornbread dressing this year. I
> used a loaf of gluten free white bread and cubed it and toasted it dry
> to use as the bread portion along with a gluten free cornbread that I
> made. I also added a chicken and herb sausage that I had cooked off
> and diced up. Lots of onion, celery, parsley, sage and a bit of
> marjoram. It was excellent and those who didn't know it was gluten
> free had no clue.

We used gluten-free graham crackers in one of our key lime pies this
year, to accommodate a friend. The SO was dubious because the cracker
crumbs behaved differently than the glutenous crumbs, but it came out
fine. We sent our friend home with over 1/3 of the pie.

We also tried the "cranberry crack" recipe that Christine posted here.
It was tasty, but it was a bit too fluid for my liking. If I make it
again, I may throw some dried cranberries in to absorb some of the
excess liquid.

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 25 Nov 2011 16:15:11 -0800, Cindy Fuller
> wrote:

> We used gluten-free graham crackers in one of our key lime pies this
> year, to accommodate a friend. The SO was dubious because the cracker
> crumbs behaved differently than the glutenous crumbs, but it came out
> fine. We sent our friend home with over 1/3 of the pie.

Were those crackers gluten free graham crackers? What brand? I will
look for it. TIA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Polly wrote:

> I learned one and will remember it. I am not bright enough to double the
> pecan pie recipe. It seemed easy enough. Wrong. With the phone ringing
> and folks coming in, the dog wanting to participate and assorted
> distractions, I simply lost count of which bowl I'd added what to. One
> pie is not very sweet and I just may have missed adding the sugar. Or
> something.
> Next time, I think I'll wait until I get the first pie in the oven
> before I even begin with the 2nd one. Polly

If that's the worst thing that happened, then I'd say you did pretty doggone
well!

As to salvaging the unsweetened pie, you might use it as a savory side dish.
It would go well alongside lentils, mushrooms, and brown rice. For that
matter it would be a nice accompaniment to kasha varnishkes, maybe with some
kale as a hearty green vegetable.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in message
> Polly wrote:
>
>> I learned one and will remember it. I am not bright enough to double the
>> pecan pie recipe. It seemed easy enough. Wrong. With the phone ringing
>> and folks coming in, the dog wanting to participate and assorted
>> distractions, I simply lost count of which bowl I'd added what to. One
>> pie is not very sweet and I just may have missed adding the sugar. Or
>> something.
>> Next time, I think I'll wait until I get the first pie in the oven
>> before I even begin with the 2nd one. Polly

> If that's the worst thing that happened, then I'd say you did pretty
> doggone
> well!
>
> As to salvaging the unsweetened pie, you might use it as a savory side
> dish. It would go well alongside lentils, mushrooms, and brown rice. For
> that matter it would be a nice accompaniment to kasha varnishkes, maybe
> with some kale as a hearty green vegetable.
>
> Bob

Oh well, no. That wasn't the worst thing that happened.
Granddaughter-in-law's mother threw out her 2nd husband, DIL's horse threw
her off (cracked some ribs) and the Yorkie refused food and water. Don't
know but suspect he was jealous of visiting 'cute' puppy. Situation normal.
Polly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 25 Nov 2011 16:59:31 -0800, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

> Polly wrote:
>
> > I learned one and will remember it. I am not bright enough to double the
> > pecan pie recipe. It seemed easy enough. Wrong. With the phone ringing
> > and folks coming in, the dog wanting to participate and assorted
> > distractions, I simply lost count of which bowl I'd added what to. One
> > pie is not very sweet and I just may have missed adding the sugar. Or
> > something.
> > Next time, I think I'll wait until I get the first pie in the oven
> > before I even begin with the 2nd one. Polly

> If that's the worst thing that happened, then I'd say you did pretty doggone
> well!
>
> As to salvaging the unsweetened pie, you might use it as a savory side dish.
> It would go well alongside lentils, mushrooms, and brown rice. For that
> matter it would be a nice accompaniment to kasha varnishkes, maybe with some
> kale as a hearty green vegetable.

Which reminds me that I recently saw a recipe for a savory pumpkin pie
that I intend to try this winter (with a few changes).

Savory Pumpkin Pie
http://www.tablespoon.com/recipes/sa...-pie-recipe/1/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 25, 7:36*am, "Polly Esther" > wrote:
> I learned one and will remember it. *I am not bright enough to double the
> pecan pie recipe. *It seemed easy enough. *Wrong. *With the phone ringing
> and folks coming in, the dog wanting to participate and assorted
> distractions, I simply lost count of which bowl I'd added what to. *One pie
> is not very sweet and I just may have missed adding the sugar. *Or
> something.
> * * Next time, I think I'll wait until I get the first pie in the oven
> before I even begin with the 2nd one. *Polly

Bummer! One thing I learned i school was getting your "mise en
place" (mess in place?) Basically having everything measured,
softened, etc before even starting. You could use 2 cookie sheets for
the ingredients, one for each pie. This works especially well when
doing holiday cookies as I usually make a few different varieties at a
time...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 25, 10:41*pm, meh > wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Nov 2011 21:23:36 -0800 (PST), merryb > wrote:
> >On Nov 25, 7:36*am, "Polly Esther" > wrote:
> >> I learned one and will remember it. *I am not bright enough to double the
> >> pecan pie recipe. *It seemed easy enough. *Wrong. *With the phone ringing
> >> and folks coming in, the dog wanting to participate and assorted
> >> distractions, I simply lost count of which bowl I'd added what to. *One pie
> >> is not very sweet and I just may have missed adding the sugar. *Or
> >> something.
> >> * * Next time, I think I'll wait until I get the first pie in the oven
> >> before I even begin with the 2nd one. *Polly

> >Bummer! One thing I learned i school was getting your "mise en
> >place" (mess in place?)

> Translates to 'implementation'.

Thanks- we always thought mess in place was appropriate for the action
involved, but knew it probably wasn't the correct translation!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

i learned years ago to buy the pecans and put a twenty in the bag and give
it to my sister to bake it, Lee
"Polly Esther" > wrote in message
>I learned one and will remember it. I am not bright enough to double the
>pecan pie recipe. It seemed easy enough. Wrong. With the phone ringing
>and folks coming in, the dog wanting to participate and assorted
>distractions, I simply lost count of which bowl I'd added what to. One pie
>is not very sweet and I just may have missed adding the sugar. Or
>something.
> Next time, I think I'll wait until I get the first pie in the oven
> before I even begin with the 2nd one. Polly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ImStillMags wrote:

> I learned how to make a gluten free cornbread dressing this year.

Start with a cornbread recipe that uses corn but no other grain. Make
it, cut it into cubes, let it dry out. Toast to a consistancy almost as
hard as croutons. Then add diced this and that. Use as stuffing and/or
dressing. This year's this and that were celery, onion, granny smith
apple and a few types of green leafy herb. Plus a little egg as a
binder and some broth as a softener.

This year we tried to cook the dressing in cupcake molds. They stuck so
by the time it made it to the plate it was just regular dressing.
Delicious but not shaped liked a popover roll. Victory in the flavor.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 26 Nov 2011 12:49:33 -0800, Cindy Fuller
> wrote:

> In article >,
> sf > wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 25 Nov 2011 16:15:11 -0800, Cindy Fuller
> > > wrote:
> >
> > > We used gluten-free graham crackers in one of our key lime pies this
> > > year, to accommodate a friend. The SO was dubious because the cracker
> > > crumbs behaved differently than the glutenous crumbs, but it came out
> > > fine. We sent our friend home with over 1/3 of the pie.

> > Were those crackers gluten free graham crackers? What brand? I will
> > look for it. TIA

> The ones I got at Central Market (greater Seattle) were called
> S'Moreables, because they were the appropriate size for making the
> chocolate-graham cracker-marshmallow concoction. They taste very
> similar to normal graham crackers.

Thanks, Cindy! I'll look for gluten free graham crackers down here.
It'll probably be a different brand, but who knows?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Doug Freyburger wrote:
> ImStillMags wrote:
>> I learned how to make a gluten free cornbread dressing this year.

> Start with a cornbread recipe that uses corn but no other grain. Make
> it, cut it into cubes, let it dry out. Toast to a consistancy almost as
> hard as croutons. Then add diced this and that. Use as stuffing and/or
> dressing. This year's this and that were celery, onion, granny smith
> apple and a few types of green leafy herb. Plus a little egg as a
> binder and some broth as a softener.
>
> This year we tried to cook the dressing in cupcake molds. They stuck so
> by the time it made it to the plate it was just regular dressing.
> Delicious but not shaped liked a popover roll. Victory in the flavor.

My daughter always wants stuffing muffins now, so I made them,.
This time, I lined the cups. I usually make them in a nonstick
pan, and that, I think, works better. Another tip: press the
stuffing down in the cups to make them less apt to fall apart.

Okay a lesson re stuffing too... If you put turkey on top of the
stuffing, try elevating the turkey on a rack.... If you don't the
parts under the turkey are not browned and nice.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jean B." > wrote in message
> Doug Freyburger wrote:
>> ImStillMags wrote:
>>> I learned how to make a gluten free cornbread dressing this year.

>> Start with a cornbread recipe that uses corn but no other grain. Make
>> it, cut it into cubes, let it dry out. Toast to a consistancy almost as
>> hard as croutons. Then add diced this and that. Use as stuffing and/or
>> dressing. This year's this and that were celery, onion, granny smith
>> apple and a few types of green leafy herb. Plus a little egg as a
>> binder and some broth as a softener.
>>
>> This year we tried to cook the dressing in cupcake molds. They stuck so
>> by the time it made it to the plate it was just regular dressing.
>> Delicious but not shaped liked a popover roll. Victory in the flavor.

> My daughter always wants stuffing muffins now, so I made them,. This time,
> I lined the cups. I usually make them in a nonstick pan, and that, I
> think, works better. Another tip: press the stuffing down in the cups to
> make them less apt to fall apart.
>
> Okay a lesson re stuffing too... If you put turkey on top of the
> stuffing, try elevating the turkey on a rack.... If you don't the parts
> under the turkey are not browned and nice.

For a couple of years, I did the stuffing muffin route. My thinking was it
would be so easy to warm just 2 or 3 for us for next day or two. They were
mighty dry. Easy enough to moisten with turkey gravy and nobody died but I
decided it really wasn't worth the extra effort for us. Polly
> --
> Jean B.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 26, 10:25*pm, "Polly Esther" > wrote:
> "Jean B." > wrote in message

> > Doug Freyburger wrote:
> >> ImStillMags wrote:

> >> This year we tried to cook the dressing in cupcake molds. *They stuck so
> >> by the time it made it to the plate it was just regular dressing.
> >> Delicious but not shaped liked a popover roll. *Victory in the flavor.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Nov 26, 10:07*pm, ItsJoanNotJoann >
wrote:

> I've often wondered if the dressing in muffin tins would be a bit
> dry. *I've read of several people preparing it like this but haven't
> risked it myself as I thought it might be a tad dry.

The good thing about dressing that is a tad dry is that it is a great
sponge for gravy !!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 25, 10:36*am, "Polly Esther" > wrote:
> I learned one and will remember it. *I am not bright enough to double the
> pecan pie recipe. *It seemed easy enough. *Wrong. *With the phone ringing
> and folks coming in, the dog wanting to participate and assorted
> distractions, I simply lost count of which bowl I'd added what to. *One pie
> is not very sweet and I just may have missed adding the sugar. *Or
> something.
> * * Next time, I think I'll wait until I get the first pie in the oven
> before I even begin with the 2nd one. *Polly

Lesson: be nice to your neighbor and she'll unload all her leftovers
on you, including a huge bag of Stone Crab claws which I almost can't
afford. They are here only on occasional weekends and don't like to
schlep it all home. She brought over turkey, stuffing, vegs - wow -
I"m set for a day or two.

We ate at someone else's house, but bringing leftovers home was
precluded by a long drive, plus the hostess' fridge quit on her T-
giving night and the leftovers would've been a bit....dubious, let's
say. She was lucky tho to have a service call at 10 the next morning.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 27, 10:04*am, ImStillMags > wrote:
> On Nov 26, 10:07*pm, ItsJoanNotJoann >
> wrote:
>
> > I've often wondered if the dressing in muffin tins would be a bit
> > dry. *I've read of several people preparing it like this but haven't
> > risked it myself as I thought it might be a tad dry.

> The good thing about dressing that is a tad dry is that it is a great
> sponge for gravy !!

But then I have to turn around and make gravy which is not something I
do but rarely, rarely, very rarely.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 27, 1:33*pm, ItsJoanNotJoann > wrote:
> But then I have to turn around and make gravy which is not something I
> do but rarely, rarely, very rarely.

As every year, my family (two hours away) went to the Fire House on
Thanksgiving (SIL is Fire Captain) and this year came home with two
new cookings for us: Using ground sausage in the dressing instead of
giblets, which was very good, and using McCormicks packets of turkey
gravy mix made with 1 cup cold water to heat/melt seasonings and begin
the gravey's thickening. I am the only good gravy maker we have, but
even I would opt for the McCormicks often. You may want to give it a
simple pre-turkey day try with their chicken gravy mix.
....Picky

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 27 Nov 2011 13:33:29 -0800 (PST), ItsJoanNotJoann
> wrote:

> On Nov 27, 10:04*am, ImStillMags > wrote:
> > On Nov 26, 10:07*pm, ItsJoanNotJoann >
> > wrote:
> >
> > > I've often wondered if the dressing in muffin tins would be a bit
> > > dry. *I've read of several people preparing it like this but haven't
> > > risked it myself as I thought it might be a tad dry.

> > The good thing about dressing that is a tad dry is that it is a great
> > sponge for gravy !!

> But then I have to turn around and make gravy which is not something I
> do but rarely, rarely, very rarely.

Making gravy is easy, I'll do it for you.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kalmia" <Lesson: be nice to your neighbor and she'll unload all her
leftovers
on you, including a huge bag of Stone Crab claws which I almost can't
afford. They are here only on occasional weekends and don't like to
schlep it all home. She brought over turkey, stuffing, vegs - wow -
I"m set for a day or two.

We ate at someone else's house, but bringing leftovers home was
precluded by a long drive, plus the hostess' fridge quit on her T-
giving night and the leftovers would've been a bit....dubious, let's
say. She was lucky tho to have a service call at 10 the next morning.

I forgot to mention: Lessons Learned as to the Thanksgiving Day open house
banana split production. A kind and strong young neighbor scooped the ice
cream for me. The scoop with the liquid in the handle that heats up
(Pampered Chef or Zeroll) works a charm. We put the scoops on cookie sheets
and flash-froze them. Wasn't exactly 'flash', took a couple of hours. It
was easy to serve and the leftovers are good stuff for slightly stale pecan
pie. Except for the bananas. Today I'm thinking I'll bake banana nut bread
for the neighbor who helped me. It is her favorite food . Polly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 28 Nov 2011 08:15:02 -0600, "Polly Esther"
> wrote:

> Today I'm thinking I'll bake banana nut bread
> for the neighbor who helped me. It is her favorite food .

Sounds like you're a good neighbor too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Polly Esther wrote:

> "Jean B." > wrote in message
>> Doug Freyburger wrote:
>>>
>>> Start with a cornbread recipe that uses corn but no other grain. Make
>>> it, cut it into cubes, let it dry out. Toast to a consistancy almost as
>>> hard as croutons. Then add diced this and that. Use as stuffing and/or
>>> dressing. This year's this and that were celery, onion, granny smith
>>> apple and a few types of green leafy herb. Plus a little egg as a
>>> binder and some broth as a softener.
>>>
>>> This year we tried to cook the dressing in cupcake molds. They stuck so
>>> by the time it made it to the plate it was just regular dressing.
>>> Delicious but not shaped liked a popover roll. Victory in the flavor.

>> My daughter always wants stuffing muffins now, so I made them,. This
>> time, I lined the cups. I usually make them in a nonstick pan, and
>> that, I think, works better. Another tip: press the stuffing down in
>> the cups to make them less apt to fall apart.
>>
>> Okay a lesson re stuffing too... If you put turkey on top of the
>> stuffing, try elevating the turkey on a rack.... If you don't the
>> parts under the turkey are not browned and nice.
>>

> For a couple of years, I did the stuffing muffin route. My thinking was
> it would be so easy to warm just 2 or 3 for us for next day or two.
> They were mighty dry. Easy enough to moisten with turkey gravy and
> nobody died but I decided it really wasn't worth the extra effort for
> us. Polly
>> --
>> Jean B.

Gee, mine were nice and moist. Probably a fluke, since I have not
jotted everything I do down.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:
> On Nov 26, 10:25 pm, "Polly Esther" > wrote:

>>> My daughter always wants stuffing muffins now, so I made them,. This time,
>>> I lined the cups. I usually make them in a nonstick pan, and that, I
>>> think, works better. Another tip: press the stuffing down in the cups to
>>> make them less apt to fall apart.

>> For a couple of years, I did the stuffing muffin route. My thinking was it
>> would be so easy to warm just 2 or 3 for us for next day or two. They were
>> mighty dry. Easy enough to moisten with turkey gravy and nobody died but I
>> decided it really wasn't worth the extra effort for us. Polly
>>

> I've often wondered if the dressing in muffin tins would be a bit
> dry. I've read of several people preparing it like this but haven't
> risked it myself as I thought it might be a tad dry.

They need not be dry. Mine weren't. The point of doing them is,
for me, that my daughter doesn't like things that have a mushy
texture. (I won't use her rather unappealing term for such things,)

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Nov 2011 13:33:29 -0800 (PST), ItsJoanNotJoann
> > wrote:
>
>> On Nov 27, 10:04 am, ImStillMags > wrote:

>>> The good thing about dressing that is a tad dry is that it is a great
>>> sponge for gravy !!
>>>

>> But then I have to turn around and make gravy which is not something I
>> do but rarely, rarely, very rarely.

> Making gravy is easy, I'll do it for you.

Did I mention the fact that I did a small batch of make-ahead
gravy. (It was NOT easy finding turkey wings until the day had
almost arrived.) BUT since my sense of smell was almost
nonexistent and apparently distorted, I didn't think the stock
smelled like turkey, and, bowing my head in shame, I ended up
using my back-up store-bought gravy. Later, when I could smell
things somewhat better, I realized that the stock DID smell like
turkey. Damn. I should have frozen it!

--
Jean B.