Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default The cooking technique/tip you learned on your own

Cooking bacon.

Actually, it was a followup to what I learned from my old girlfriend.
She taught me to cook my bacon low n' slow, just like eggs, only
slower. I used to cook my bacon too fast and ALWAYS ended up with
either burnt or overly crispy bacon. She taught me to cook it slowly,
taking almost 3-4 times longer than I had originally. But, my bacon
is now perfect every time.

Oh yeah ....my part. I finally figured out not to drain off the
grease. With multiple batches, that ever growing pool of bacon grease
only provides a more uniform heating medium. I guess one could say
it's almost deep frying - which I hear some folks do - but I still
like that the bacon is in contact with the bottom of the pan. I also
figured out that using a non-stick pan is the way to go. Yeah, yeah,
yeah... I hear the purists gnashing their meat eating molars, but the
bottom line is, it's about 10 times easier to clean up. So there!

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 09 May 2007 12:30:49 -0500, notbob > wrote:

>Cooking bacon.
>
>Actually, it was a followup to what I learned from my old girlfriend.
>She taught me to cook my bacon low n' slow, just like eggs, only
>slower. I used to cook my bacon too fast and ALWAYS ended up with
>either burnt or overly crispy bacon. She taught me to cook it slowly,
>taking almost 3-4 times longer than I had originally. But, my bacon
>is now perfect every time.
>
>Oh yeah ....my part. I finally figured out not to drain off the
>grease. With multiple batches, that ever growing pool of bacon grease
>only provides a more uniform heating medium. I guess one could say
>it's almost deep frying - which I hear some folks do - but I still
>like that the bacon is in contact with the bottom of the pan. I also
>figured out that using a non-stick pan is the way to go. Yeah, yeah,
>yeah... I hear the purists gnashing their meat eating molars, but the
>bottom line is, it's about 10 times easier to clean up. So there!
>
>nb

LOL You're on a roll today. I take a jelly roll pan and line it with
foil. Then place a rack in that. Layer the bacon on the rack and toss
it in the gas grill at about 375. 45 minutes or so later I come back
and put the bacon on a plate, pour the drippings in the dog bowl (I'm
trying to give him a heart attack), throw the foil in the recycle bin,
put the pan and the rack(s) in the DW, and I'm done.

How easy is that?

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 09 May 2007 12:30:49 -0500, notbob > wrote:

>Cooking bacon.
>
>Actually, it was a followup to what I learned from my old girlfriend.
>She taught me to cook my bacon low n' slow, just like eggs, only
>slower. I used to cook my bacon too fast and ALWAYS ended up with
>either burnt or overly crispy bacon.

What is "overly crispy" in reference to bacon? ;>

Burnt, I understand.

Sue(tm)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:
> Cooking bacon.
>
> Actually, it was a followup to what I learned from my old girlfriend.
> She taught me to cook my bacon low n' slow, just like eggs, only
> slower. I used to cook my bacon too fast and ALWAYS ended up with
> either burnt or overly crispy bacon. She taught me to cook it slowly,
> taking almost 3-4 times longer than I had originally. But, my bacon
> is now perfect every time.
>
> Oh yeah ....my part. I finally figured out not to drain off the
> grease. With multiple batches, that ever growing pool of bacon grease
> only provides a more uniform heating medium. I guess one could say
> it's almost deep frying - which I hear some folks do - but I still
> like that the bacon is in contact with the bottom of the pan. I also
> figured out that using a non-stick pan is the way to go. Yeah, yeah,
> yeah... I hear the purists gnashing their meat eating molars, but the
> bottom line is, it's about 10 times easier to clean up. So there!
>
> nb

Anytime I brown ground beef I always use de-hydrated chopped onion and
depending on the dish chopped fresh garlic that you buy in a jar. Quick
and easy.

-ss
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Finely mincing celery from the "top down". That is, I wash the whole
head of celery under running water, shake it dry and slice off about
half an inch of the very
top leaves and stalks - making sure I leave the healthy leaves and
littls skinny "branches".

Then I slice down lengthwise about four inches on the big celery
stalks until they're all about an eighth of an inch across. Now if you
lay the whole head flat across the cutting board you can slice off
finely minced celery with a few whacks of a chef's knife. Fast,

Lynn fron Fargo

Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:
> Cooking bacon.
>
> Actually, it was a followup to what I learned from my old girlfriend.
> She taught me to cook my bacon low n' slow, just like eggs, only
> slower. I used to cook my bacon too fast and ALWAYS ended up with
> either burnt or overly crispy bacon. She taught me to cook it slowly,
> taking almost 3-4 times longer than I had originally. But, my bacon
> is now perfect every time.
>
> Oh yeah ....my part. I finally figured out not to drain off the
> grease. With multiple batches, that ever growing pool of bacon grease
> only provides a more uniform heating medium. I guess one could say
> it's almost deep frying - which I hear some folks do - but I still
> like that the bacon is in contact with the bottom of the pan. I also
> figured out that using a non-stick pan is the way to go. Yeah, yeah,
> yeah... I hear the purists gnashing their meat eating molars, but the
> bottom line is, it's about 10 times easier to clean up. So there!
>
> nb

Speaking of bacon...cutting all the bacon in half while still in the
package with shears. They're easier to cook that way.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2007-05-09, Scott > wrote:

> Speaking of bacon...cutting all the bacon in half while still in the
> package with shears. They're easier to cook that way.

Good point, Scott. In fact, that's exactly what I do. Never seen
anyone else do or mention it till now.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob > wrote in
:

> On 2007-05-09, Scott > wrote:
>
>> Speaking of bacon...cutting all the bacon in half while still in the
>> package with shears. They're easier to cook that way.

> Good point, Scott. In fact, that's exactly what I do. Never seen
> anyone else do or mention it till now.
>
> nb

Whenever we get a load of bacon, we put 4 slices folded over into a small
freezer bag. From 1kg, we normally get about 6 baggies. They go into the
freezer. When we want bacon, we take one bag out and let it defrost. Then
it's just a matter of taking the folded bacon out, slipping a knife under
the fold and cut upwards to halve the slices. It's not done at the start as
sometimes the cooking requires whole slices of bacon, ie, to wrap around a
chicken breast or somesuch.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

"People sleep safely in their beds because rough men stand ready in
the night to do violence to those who would do them harm"
-- George Orwell
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lou Decruss wrote:

> LOL You're on a roll today. I take a jelly roll pan and line it with
> foil. Then place a rack in that. Layer the bacon on the rack and toss
> it in the gas grill at about 375. 45 minutes or so later I come back
> and put the bacon on a plate, pour the drippings in the dog bowl (I'm
> trying to give him a heart attack), throw the foil in the recycle bin,
> put the pan and the rack(s) in the DW, and I'm done.
>
> How easy is that?
>
> Lou

Bacon drippings? I love that stuff! I cook all sorts of vegetables,
beans and peas, using bacon drippings.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:
> On 2007-05-09, Scott > wrote:
>
>> Speaking of bacon...cutting all the bacon in half while still in the
>> package with shears. They're easier to cook that way.

> Good point, Scott. In fact, that's exactly what I do. Never seen
> anyone else do or mention it till now.
>
> nb

Before when I fry bacon I used to lay the slices side by side only
getting 5-6 half slices in the pan at a time using med heat. Now I place
in the pan half of the package overlapping the slices using low heat. I
can fry 3-4 times more bacon this way and they come out perfect.

-ss

Posted to rec.food.cooking

One of mine was to use the flour sack towels to really drain my potatoes
for potato pancakes. I process the onions and potatoes together into a
mash, then drain and squeeze the heck out of the whole thing before
added my eggs and other things. Made a big difference.

--
Caryn
Caryn Nadelberg - Mommy to Sam and Queen of the May
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 9 May 2007 13:55:15 -0500, Steve Wertz
> wrote:

>On Wed, 09 May 2007 12:41:48 -0500, Lou Decruss wrote:
>
>> 45 minutes or so later I come back
>> and put the bacon on a plate, pour the drippings in the dog bowl (I'm
>> trying to give him a heart attack),

>At least he'll die hairball-free.

Hopefully soon. I don't like animals much. At least not spoiled
indoor ones. Dogs belong outside.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 09 May 2007 20:04:12 -0500, Becca > wrote:

>Lou Decruss wrote:
>
>> LOL You're on a roll today. I take a jelly roll pan and line it with
>> foil. Then place a rack in that. Layer the bacon on the rack and toss
>> it in the gas grill at about 375. 45 minutes or so later I come back
>> and put the bacon on a plate, pour the drippings in the dog bowl (I'm
>> trying to give him a heart attack), throw the foil in the recycle bin,
>> put the pan and the rack(s) in the DW, and I'm done.
>>
>> How easy is that?
>>
>> Lou

>Bacon drippings? I love that stuff! I cook all sorts of vegetables,
>beans and peas, using bacon drippings.

Ya, but a little goes a long way.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lou Decruss wrote:
> On Wed, 09 May 2007 20:04:12 -0500, Becca > wrote:
>
>> Lou Decruss wrote:
>>
>>> LOL You're on a roll today. I take a jelly roll pan and line it with
>>> foil. Then place a rack in that. Layer the bacon on the rack and toss
>>> it in the gas grill at about 375. 45 minutes or so later I come back
>>> and put the bacon on a plate, pour the drippings in the dog bowl (I'm
>>> trying to give him a heart attack), throw the foil in the recycle bin,
>>> put the pan and the rack(s) in the DW, and I'm done.
>>>
>>> How easy is that?
>>>
>>> Lou

>> Bacon drippings? I love that stuff! I cook all sorts of vegetables,
>> beans and peas, using bacon drippings.

> Ya, but a little goes a long way.
>
> Lou

I just put the bacon on a paper towl and microwave it. Perfectly done
slices each time. But I generally never need the grease, so it works
for me.

--
"All of those faeries and duels and mad queens and so on, and no one
quoted old Billy Shakespeare. Not even once."
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I invented the grilled cheese sandwich. (should have filed the patent,
dammit)

Best regards, ;-)
Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 9, 12:30 pm, notbob > wrote:
> Cooking bacon.
>
> Actually, it was a followup to what I learned from my old girlfriend.
> She taught me to cook my bacon low n' slow, just like eggs, only
> slower. I used to cook my bacon too fast and ALWAYS ended up with
> either burnt or overly crispy bacon. She taught me to cook it slowly,
> taking almost 3-4 times longer than I had originally. But, my bacon
> is now perfect every time.

I learned that way to cook bacon in the early '60s from one of John
Steinbeck's books. I think it was _The Pastures of Heaven_, but I
can't be sure because I no longer have a copy at hand.

I read the description of his main character cooking bacon slowly over
an open fire, tried it myself on my stove, and have been doing it that
way ever since.

And, if you take the time to tilt the pan and let the ends of the
bacon fry gently in the accumulated fat until they stop bubbling,
you'll be very pleased.

David

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10 May 2007 12:01:24 -0700, dtwright37 >
wrote:

>On May 9, 12:30 pm, notbob > wrote:
>> Cooking bacon.

She taught me to cook it slowly,
>> taking almost 3-4 times longer than I had originally. But, my bacon
>> is now perfect every time.

>I learned that way to cook bacon in the early '60s from one of John
>Steinbeck's books. I think it was _The Pastures of Heaven_, but I
>can't be sure because I no longer have a copy at hand.
>
>I read the description of his main character cooking bacon slowly over
>an open fire, tried it myself on my stove, and have been doing it that
>way ever since.

And I learned to cook it this way from my mother. She always had to
get me to slow down and let it cook slow.... That way it renders the
fat the best...
I once spent a weekend on a houseboat, and was cooking bacon the way
my mother taught me and my hostess kept on trying to get me to speed
it up. Evidently it isn't the norm for folks to cook it slowly....

Christine, who just got a marvelous slab of country cured bacon from a
roadside stand in Hanover, VA. And the most marvelous mustard greens
which will be seasoned by a piece of such bacon.