Old 10-10-2010, 06:20 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default I just learned a great cooking trick

Was flicking channels and came upon a cooking show about making meals for 4
ppl for only $10.00 A good idea to have a show like that in times like
these.

Anyway the gal wanted to use a bit of grated ginger. She buys the ginger
root fresh, peels it, then puts it into a ziploc bag and puts it in the
freezer. She said it lasts practically forever that way, and you can have
fresh ginger to grate into a dish any time you want it!

Now that is a good idea and I am going to do just that.

--
Best Regards,
Evelyn

In the stony fastness of the mountains there is a strange market, where one
may barter the vortex of life for boundless bliss. - Milarepa

Old 10-10-2010, 09:28 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

I use a lot of fresh ginger, so I always have it in the fridge and it never
has time to go bad. But I'd suggest slicing at least some of it if you are
going to freeze it. It's easier to grate a knob, but easier to mince a
slice. That way you would have it easily available for both grating and
mincing.

Old 10-10-2010, 11:10 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Janet" wrote in message
I use a lot of fresh ginger, so I always have it in the fridge and it
never has time to go bad. But I'd suggest slicing at least some of it if
you are going to freeze it. It's easier to grate a knob, but easier to
mince a slice. That way you would have it easily available for both
grating and mincing.

Thanks for the tip!

Old 13-10-2010, 09:52 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sun, 10 Oct 2010 13:20:25 -0400, "Evelyn"
wrote:

Was flicking channels and came upon a cooking show about making meals for 4
ppl for only $10.00 A good idea to have a show like that in times like
these.

Anyway the gal wanted to use a bit of grated ginger. She buys the ginger
root fresh, peels it, then puts it into a ziploc bag and puts it in the
freezer. She said it lasts practically forever that way, and you can have
fresh ginger to grate into a dish any time you want it!

You don't need to peel it, the peel separates itself from the flesh as
you grate - and any small bits that escape are unnoticeable in the
dish.

BTW, did you guys know that the best implement for peeling ginger is a
teaspoon? that still tickles me

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 150ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.2% BMI 26

Old 14-10-2010, 05:08 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 10/13/2010 10:29 PM, BlueBrooke wrote:
On Wed, 13 Oct 2010 21:52:06 +0100,
wrote:

BTW, did you guys know that the best implement for peeling ginger is a
teaspoon? that still tickles me

Me too! How cool is that? It was the one thing that I didn't like
about using fresh ginger -- trying to peel it without losing so much
of the "good stuff." Now, my freezer is full of knobs. Thanks, Roger
Mooking! :-D

hmmmmm

dumb question

i usually mince the garlic or chop it or slice it very finely

i haven't removed the peel, is this something i really should do?

(now to remember the teaspoon trick)

kate
Old 14-10-2010, 05:45 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

wrote:

BTW, did you guys know that the best implement for peeling ginger is a
teaspoon? that still tickles me

Me too! How cool is that? It was the one thing that I didn't like
about using fresh ginger -- trying to peel it without losing so much
of the "good stuff." Now, my freezer is full of knobs. Thanks, Roger
Mooking! :-D

hmmmmm

dumb question

i usually mince the garlic or chop it or slice it very finely

i haven't removed the peel, is this something i really should do?

(now to remember the teaspoon trick)

kate

Garlic is something I always peel....... but we were talking about Ginger,
and that should be peeled too.

Old 14-10-2010, 06:37 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

wrote:

BTW, did you guys know that the best implement for peeling ginger is a
teaspoon? that still tickles me

Me too! How cool is that? It was the one thing that I didn't like
about using fresh ginger -- trying to peel it without losing so much
of the "good stuff." Now, my freezer is full of knobs. Thanks, Roger
Mooking! :-D

hmmmmm

dumb question

i usually mince the garlic or chop it or slice it very finely

i haven't removed the peel, is this something i really should do?

(now to remember the teaspoon trick)

kate

Garlic is something I always peel....... but we were talking about
Ginger, and that should be peeled too.

arrgghh, i typed garlic and meant ginger

i've never peeled ginger, not ever....... learn something new every day

ty
kate
Old 14-10-2010, 08:02 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

wrote:

[...]

I use ginger so seldom, that I didn't know what should be done, so I always
peeled it when I used it.

Old 14-10-2010, 08:51 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger Lily" wrote in message

arrgghh, i typed garlic and meant ginger

i've never peeled ginger, not ever....... learn something new every day

ty
kate

I don't use it often, but I don't peel it either. I will have to try the
teaspoon thing though. :-)

Cheri

Old 15-10-2010, 01:13 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

wrote:

[...]

LOL Kate -- don't you hate when that happens? I've read that some
people don't peel ginger. I just can't seem to use it if it isn't
peeled, so I just do. The "teaspoon trick" takes just seconds, so
that was really neet to learn.

I know some people also eat sweet potato skins, but I can't manage
that, either. So take it for what it's worth. :-D

I eat sweet potato skins and pumpkin skins too. I never peel ginger. I
bought a novelty grater once, it is a mini grater, looks just like the
large ones (the pyramid style with a handle on top) but fabulous for
garlic and ginger. Its about 2 inches high. Because the grating holes
are much smaller it is ideal for finely grated small things. Not
suitable for cheese (except the hard, dried out style cheeses) as the
holes are way too small.

Old 15-10-2010, 01:49 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

wrote:

[...]

well, now i'm really going to have to see what difference it makes

but darn, i'm lazy, and not peeling the root worked for me

kate
Old 15-10-2010, 07:04 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Ozgirl wrote:

: I eat sweet potato skins and pumpkin skins too. I never peel ginger. I
: bought a novelty grater once, it is a mini grater, looks just like the
: large ones (the pyramid style with a handle on top) but fabulous for
: garlic and ginger. Its about 2 inches high. Because the grating holes
: are much smaller it is ideal for finely grated small things. Not
: suitable for cheese (except the hard, dried out style cheeses) as the
: holes are way too small.

AHA! Now we know he secret of how you managed to get thin enough etc to
be able to eat so much less diabetically:-) All that indigestible
fiber(fibre) is what is doing that:-)

Wendy

Old 15-10-2010, 11:28 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nicky" wrote in message
On Thu, 14 Oct 2010 13:21:59 -0500, BlueBrooke
wrote:

I know some people also eat sweet potato skins, but I can't manage
that, either. So take it for what it's worth. :-D

Oo! I'll have yours I love sweet potato - whether it's mash, chips,
wedges, or roasted skins with dips... and they like my bg

I don't like sweet potatoes at all and they aren't any better for my BG than
regular potatoes.

Old 16-10-2010, 02:47 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" wrote in message
Ozgirl wrote:

: I eat sweet potato skins and pumpkin skins too. I never peel ginger.
: bought a novelty grater once, it is a mini grater, looks just like
the
: large ones (the pyramid style with a handle on top) but fabulous for
: garlic and ginger. Its about 2 inches high. Because the grating
holes
: are much smaller it is ideal for finely grated small things. Not
: suitable for cheese (except the hard, dried out style cheeses) as
the
: holes are way too small.

AHA! Now we know he secret of how you managed to get thin enough etc
be able to eat so much less diabetically:-) All that indigestible
fiber(fibre) is what is doing that:-)

lol My family leave their skins on their plate and I dutifully eat
theirs