Old 04-03-2007, 10:01 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Seasoning

I rarely use salt. It's not a health issue. It's just that
my mother never put salt on the table. Over time I came to
dislike salty foods.

My primary condiments are black pepper, ground garlic, ground
onions, and pepper sauce. My diet is changing and going more,
and more vegetarian. The problem is vegetarian can be awefully
bland and my condiments aren't making a difference. I would
appreciate suggestions condiments to put some zest into a dish
such as:
A variety of sliced Bell Peppers
Chopped green onions
Chopped Kale (no stems)
Chooped carrots
Diced potatoes
Shredded squash

Dick

Old 04-03-2007, 01:53 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Dick Adams wrote:
I rarely use salt. It's not a health issue. It's just that
my mother never put salt on the table. Over time I came to
dislike salty foods.

My primary condiments are black pepper, ground garlic, ground
onions, and pepper sauce. My diet is changing and going more,
and more vegetarian. The problem is vegetarian can be awefully
bland and my condiments aren't making a difference. I would
appreciate suggestions condiments to put some zest into a dish
such as:
A variety of sliced Bell Peppers
Chopped green onions
Chopped Kale (no stems)
Chooped carrots
Diced potatoes
Shredded squash

Dick

Salt! gimme a break, just because mama never did you won't eat salt?

Jill

Old 04-03-2007, 02:50 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" wrote in message
Dick Adams wrote:
I rarely use salt. It's not a health issue. It's just that
my mother never put salt on the table. Over time I came to
dislike salty foods.

The problem is vegetarian can be awefully
bland and my condiments aren't making a difference. I would
appreciate suggestions condiments to put some zest into a dish
such as:
A variety of sliced Bell Peppers
Chopped green onions
Dick

Salt! gimme a break, just because mama never did you won't eat salt?

Jill

He said he does not care for salty foods. Where is the harm in that?

He'd be better off frying up some of those peppers in bacon fat for flavor
anyway.

Old 04-03-2007, 03:08 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Edwin Pawlowski wrote on 04 Mar 2007 in rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" wrote in message
Dick Adams wrote:
I rarely use salt. It's not a health issue. It's just that
my mother never put salt on the table. Over time I came to
dislike salty foods.

The problem is vegetarian can be awefully
bland and my condiments aren't making a difference. I would
appreciate suggestions condiments to put some zest into a dish
such as:
A variety of sliced Bell Peppers
Chopped green onions
Dick

Salt! gimme a break, just because mama never did you won't eat
salt?

Jill

He said he does not care for salty foods. Where is the harm in that?

He'd be better off frying up some of those peppers in bacon fat for
flavor anyway.

And using the crumbled bacon as well. Plus say toasted minced dried onions
as well.

Old 04-03-2007, 03:20 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Dick Adams wrote:
I rarely use salt. It's not a health issue. It's just that
my mother never put salt on the table. Over time I came to
dislike salty foods.

My primary condiments are black pepper, ground garlic, ground
onions, and pepper sauce. My diet is changing and going more,
and more vegetarian. The problem is vegetarian can be awfully
bland and my condiments aren't making a difference. I would
appreciate suggestions condiments to put some zest into a dish
such as:
A variety of sliced Bell Peppers
Chopped green onions
Chopped Kale (no stems)
Chooped carrots
Diced potatoes
Shredded squash

If you've never liked salt even when omnivorous, the lacking flavor in
your vegetarian diet isn't salt. The lacking flavor must be something
normally associated with meat. I suggest zesting up your dishes with
mushrooms, butter, cream, olive oil, eggplant, walnuts, almonds. Also
try lemon pepper, hot peppers, vinegar, orange and lemon zest.

--Lia

Old 04-03-2007, 04:01 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Mar 4, 2:01 am, (Dick Adams) wrote:
I rarely use salt. [snip]
My primary condiments are black pepper, ground garlic, ground
onions, and pepper sauce. My diet is changing and going more,
and more vegetarian. The problem is vegetarian can be awefully
bland and my condiments aren't making a difference. I would
appreciate suggestions condiments to put some zest into a dish
such as: [snip]

Lemon or lime. Juice sprinkled over at the end of cooking, and zest
either then or earlier in the cooking. This is often used to provide
a little zing in low-salt prepared foods. Recalling a recent thread,
I'd suggest you also might try a shake or two of msg (Accent). If you
do, season with it while cooking, not at the table. -aem

Old 04-03-2007, 04:18 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Mr Libido Incognito wrote:
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote:
Dick Adams wrote:
[...]

Yeah, but... bacon adds tremendous quantities of salt, bacon fat puts
salted butter to shame... bacon and other cured meats is the very
worst choice of flavoring to cut back on salts... frying anything in
bacon fat tastes great mostly due to all that salt it adds, hardly
anyone ever salts foods fried in bacon fat... fry your eggs in bacon
fat you won't want any more salt.

To highlight flavor without adding salt, especially with vegtables,
use citrus juices and various vinegars... a good malt vinegar on
french fries eliminates the need for salt and salt laden condiments
like ketchup. And there are many fresh and even dried herbs that
amplify flavor... placing a big dollop of plain yogurt with chives or
scallions and especially horseradish on baked/boiled potatoes
eliminates the need for adding salt. When preparing your own mustards
you can omit salt too, and mustard is an excellent flavor enhancer
especially for meats... only takes a few minutes to mix hot mustard
powder with water... keep a couple ounce container in the fridge and
you'll use it often, great condiment for your no salt added stir
fries. There also exist many no salt added spice blends that are
excellent. Another very good salt *free* flavor enhancer are sugars
(white and brown), various natural flavored syrups (fruit flavored,
maple, molasses, sorghum, and especially honey). Many cured meats,
especially bacon, rely on sugar in their manufacture to cut back on
the salts... sugar is a natural preservative, the oldest known to
man... what do you think is preserving that box of dried grapes.

Sheldon SweetNSour

Old 04-03-2007, 05:23 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Dick wrote:

I rarely use salt. It's not a health issue. It's just that
my mother never put salt on the table. Over time I came to
dislike salty foods.

My primary condiments are black pepper, ground garlic, ground
onions, and pepper sauce. My diet is changing and going more,
and more vegetarian. The problem is vegetarian can be awefully
bland and my condiments aren't making a difference. I would
appreciate suggestions condiments to put some zest into a dish
such as:
A variety of sliced Bell Peppers
Chopped green onions
Chopped Kale (no stems)
Chooped carrots
Diced potatoes
Shredded squash

Mayonnaise. Every single thing listed would be good with mayonnaise.

Inner Beauty Hot Sauce. It's a mango-habañero-curry sauce.

Malt vinegar. It's not just for fish & chips.

Béchamel sauce, especially with a bit of nutmeg or Tabasco.

Happy seasoning!

Bob

Old 04-03-2007, 06:21 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sheldon" wrote in message
To highlight flavor without adding salt, especially with vegtables,
use citrus juices and various vinegars... a good malt vinegar on
french fries eliminates the need for salt and salt laden condiments
like ketchup.

Good point with the vinegar. As a kid, the only vinegar I knew was the white
stuff and thought it was nasty. Many years later, I find that there are
many other types that are really quite pleasing to the taste buds.

Old 04-03-2007, 06:40 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dick Adams" wrote in message
I rarely use salt. It's not a health issue. It's just that
my mother never put salt on the table. Over time I came to
dislike salty foods.

Good for you, itoo much is not good for your body. Plus it is present in
sufficient amounts in many foods with out adding any.

My primary condiments are black pepper, ground garlic, ground
onions, and pepper sauce. My diet is changing and going more,
and more vegetarian. The problem is vegetarian can be awefully
bland and my condiments aren't making a difference.

There is a bigger problem. You need complete proteins, which are
present in meat, but not in other foods, so you have to combine
other foods to get the complete proteins. Unless you like the idea
of cracked, bleeding skin, dry hair that falls out, pimples, deformed
finger and toenails, and gums that won't hold your teeth in your head.

I would
appreciate suggestions condiments to put some zest into a dish
such as:
A variety of sliced Bell Peppers
Chopped green onions
Chopped Kale (no stems)
Chooped carrots
Diced potatoes
Shredded squash

Jalapeno peppers. Browned plump chunks of onions. Use a pepper
mill, fresh cracked pepper is a world apart from ground. A squeeze
of fresh lemon juice. A sprinkle of cheddar cheese! (No reason for
you to avoid dairy, it is not like your diet is based on religious belief.)
And add some tomatos at the end, but just warm them, don't cook
them to mush. Also: rosemary is a great zippy spice.

That said--if you are not going to eat meat, you had better learn to
combine things like beans and rice. You will be both sickly and ugly
if you neglect your complete protein needs. Study up on it online.

Old 04-03-2007, 06:54 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
Dick Adams wrote:
I rarely use salt. It's not a health issue. It's just that
my mother never put salt on the table. Over time I came to
dislike salty foods.

Salt! gimme a break, just because mama never did you won't eat salt?

Jill

And just because she didn't put a salt shaker on the table doesn't mean
she didn't cook with it. Some foods just won't taste right without some
salt in the cooking process.
Old 04-03-2007, 07:11 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:

There is a bigger problem. You need complete proteins, which are
present in meat, but not in other foods, so you have to combine
other foods to get the complete proteins. Unless you like the idea
of cracked, bleeding skin, dry hair that falls out, pimples, deformed
finger and toenails, and gums that won't hold your teeth in your head.

This is true in the most extreme cases, but you don't run into it much
with your standard, everyday, run of the mill, vegetarian. Most get all
the protien they need from eggs and dairy. The original poster said he
was eating more and more vegetarian, not that he'd given up on meat
altogether. If he's getting enough calories, he's probably getting
enough protein. If he's getting a reasonable variety of vegetables,
fruits, nuts, beans, grains, he's probably getting enough vitamins and
minerals.

The horror stories you hear about deficiencies causing the symptoms you
name usually come from extreme situations, times of war or famine where
people were eating from the same canned goods for years at a time, or
where illness or alcoholism rendered someone unable to digest or
metabolize nutrients. Extreme dieting as with an eating disorder counts
too.

When Lappe came out with _Diet For A Small Planet_, she made it sound
like exact protein combining was necessary or deficiencies would result.
In later editions of the book, she updated her information. If you're
getting rice and beans over the course of a week, you're getting
complementary proteins. They don't have to be eaten at the same meal.

--Lia

Old 04-03-2007, 07:27 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bob Terwilliger" wrote:
Dick wrote:
I rarely use salt. *It's not a health issue. *It's just that
my mother never put salt on the table. *Over time I came to
dislike salty foods.

My primary condiments are black pepper, ground garlic, ground
onions, and pepper sauce. *My diet is changing and going more,
and more vegetarian. *The problem is vegetarian can be awefully
bland and my condiments aren't making a difference. *I would
appreciate suggestions condiments to put some zest into a dish
such as:
*A variety of sliced Bell Peppers
*Chopped green onions
*Chopped Kale (no stems)
*Chooped carrots
*Diced potatoes
*Shredded squash

Mayonnaise. Every single thing listed would be good with mayonnaise.

Yeah, but... the entire thrust of this thread is to eliminate extra
salt.

Commercial mayo is high in salt... and the way some slather it on they
may as well have free reign the salt shaker.

Inner Beauty Hot Sauce. It's a mango-habañero-curry sauce.

Commercial hot sauces all contain rather high salt content too... if
one only uses a dash it probably makes little difference in over-all
salt ingested, but I've seen folks squirt half the bottle on one
serving of rice n' beans.

Sheldon

Old 04-03-2007, 07:49 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

"Sheldon" wrote in message
To highlight flavor without adding salt, especially with vegtables,
use citrus juices and various vinegars... a good malt vinegar on
french fries eliminates the need for salt and salt laden condiments
like ketchup.

Good point with the vinegar. As a kid, the only vinegar I knew was the
white stuff and thought it was nasty. Many years later, I find that there
are many other types that are really quite pleasing to the taste buds.

Malt vinegar is the vinegar of choice in the UK for fish and chips.

Dora

What is Old Bay Seasoning Hench General Cooking 36 28-03-2013 06:15 PM
Seasoning a Wok Kswck General Cooking 1 19-01-2009 11:23 PM
seasoning a wok Jen General Cooking 5 06-10-2005 10:44 PM
Wok Seasoning [email protected] Cooking Equipment 3 26-01-2005 01:56 PM
wok seasoning? Sticks General Cooking 5 26-05-2004 12:10 AM