Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Seasoning

I rarely use salt. It's not a health issue. It's just that
my mother never put salt on the table. Over time I came to
dislike salty foods.

My primary condiments are black pepper, ground garlic, ground
onions, and pepper sauce. My diet is changing and going more,
and more vegetarian. The problem is vegetarian can be awefully
bland and my condiments aren't making a difference. I would
appreciate suggestions condiments to put some zest into a dish
such as:
A variety of sliced Bell Peppers
Chopped green onions
Chopped Kale (no stems)
Chooped carrots
Diced potatoes
Shredded squash

Dick
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dick Adams wrote:
> I rarely use salt. It's not a health issue. It's just that
> my mother never put salt on the table. Over time I came to
> dislike salty foods.
>
> My primary condiments are black pepper, ground garlic, ground
> onions, and pepper sauce. My diet is changing and going more,
> and more vegetarian. The problem is vegetarian can be awefully
> bland and my condiments aren't making a difference. I would
> appreciate suggestions condiments to put some zest into a dish
> such as:
> A variety of sliced Bell Peppers
> Chopped green onions
> Chopped Kale (no stems)
> Chooped carrots
> Diced potatoes
> Shredded squash
>
> Dick

Salt! gimme a break, just because mama never did you won't eat salt?

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> Dick Adams wrote:
>> I rarely use salt. It's not a health issue. It's just that
>> my mother never put salt on the table. Over time I came to
>> dislike salty foods.
>>
>> The problem is vegetarian can be awefully
>> bland and my condiments aren't making a difference. I would
>> appreciate suggestions condiments to put some zest into a dish
>> such as:
>> A variety of sliced Bell Peppers
>> Chopped green onions
>> Dick

> Salt! gimme a break, just because mama never did you won't eat salt?
>
> Jill

He said he does not care for salty foods. Where is the harm in that?

He'd be better off frying up some of those peppers in bacon fat for flavor
anyway.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Edwin Pawlowski wrote on 04 Mar 2007 in rec.food.cooking

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
> > Dick Adams wrote:
> >> I rarely use salt. It's not a health issue. It's just that
> >> my mother never put salt on the table. Over time I came to
> >> dislike salty foods.
> >>
> >> The problem is vegetarian can be awefully
> >> bland and my condiments aren't making a difference. I would
> >> appreciate suggestions condiments to put some zest into a dish
> >> such as:
> >> A variety of sliced Bell Peppers
> >> Chopped green onions
> >> Dick

> > Salt! gimme a break, just because mama never did you won't eat
> > salt?
> >
> > Jill

> He said he does not care for salty foods. Where is the harm in that?
>
> He'd be better off frying up some of those peppers in bacon fat for
> flavor anyway.

And using the crumbled bacon as well. Plus say toasted minced dried onions
as well.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dick Adams wrote:
> I rarely use salt. It's not a health issue. It's just that
> my mother never put salt on the table. Over time I came to
> dislike salty foods.
>
> My primary condiments are black pepper, ground garlic, ground
> onions, and pepper sauce. My diet is changing and going more,
> and more vegetarian. The problem is vegetarian can be awfully
> bland and my condiments aren't making a difference. I would
> appreciate suggestions condiments to put some zest into a dish
> such as:
> A variety of sliced Bell Peppers
> Chopped green onions
> Chopped Kale (no stems)
> Chooped carrots
> Diced potatoes
> Shredded squash

If you've never liked salt even when omnivorous, the lacking flavor in
your vegetarian diet isn't salt. The lacking flavor must be something
normally associated with meat. I suggest zesting up your dishes with
mushrooms, butter, cream, olive oil, eggplant, walnuts, almonds. Also
try lemon pepper, hot peppers, vinegar, orange and lemon zest.

--Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Mar 4, 2:01 am, (Dick Adams) wrote:
> I rarely use salt. [snip]
> My primary condiments are black pepper, ground garlic, ground
> onions, and pepper sauce. My diet is changing and going more,
> and more vegetarian. The problem is vegetarian can be awefully
> bland and my condiments aren't making a difference. I would
> appreciate suggestions condiments to put some zest into a dish
> such as: [snip]

Lemon or lime. Juice sprinkled over at the end of cooking, and zest
either then or earlier in the cooking. This is often used to provide
a little zing in low-salt prepared foods. Recalling a recent thread,
I'd suggest you also might try a shake or two of msg (Accent). If you
do, season with it while cooking, not at the table. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mr Libido Incognito wrote:
> Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

> > > Salt! *gimme a break, just because mama never did you won't eat
> > > salt?

> > > Jill

> > He said he does not care for salty foods. *Where is the harm in that?

> > He'd be better off frying up some of those peppers in bacon fat for
> > flavor anyway.

> And using the crumbled bacon as well. Plus say toasted minced dried onions
> as well

Yeah, but... bacon adds tremendous quantities of salt, bacon fat puts
salted butter to shame... bacon and other cured meats is the very
worst choice of flavoring to cut back on salts... frying anything in
bacon fat tastes great mostly due to all that salt it adds, hardly
anyone ever salts foods fried in bacon fat... fry your eggs in bacon
fat you won't want any more salt.

To highlight flavor without adding salt, especially with vegtables,
use citrus juices and various vinegars... a good malt vinegar on
french fries eliminates the need for salt and salt laden condiments
like ketchup. And there are many fresh and even dried herbs that
amplify flavor... placing a big dollop of plain yogurt with chives or
scallions and especially horseradish on baked/boiled potatoes
eliminates the need for adding salt. When preparing your own mustards
you can omit salt too, and mustard is an excellent flavor enhancer
especially for meats... only takes a few minutes to mix hot mustard
powder with water... keep a couple ounce container in the fridge and
you'll use it often, great condiment for your no salt added stir
fries. There also exist many no salt added spice blends that are
excellent. Another very good salt *free* flavor enhancer are sugars
(white and brown), various natural flavored syrups (fruit flavored,
maple, molasses, sorghum, and especially honey). Many cured meats,
especially bacon, rely on sugar in their manufacture to cut back on
the salts... sugar is a natural preservative, the oldest known to
man... what do you think is preserving that box of dried grapes.

Sheldon SweetNSour

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dick wrote:

> I rarely use salt. It's not a health issue. It's just that
> my mother never put salt on the table. Over time I came to
> dislike salty foods.
>
> My primary condiments are black pepper, ground garlic, ground
> onions, and pepper sauce. My diet is changing and going more,
> and more vegetarian. The problem is vegetarian can be awefully
> bland and my condiments aren't making a difference. I would
> appreciate suggestions condiments to put some zest into a dish
> such as:
> A variety of sliced Bell Peppers
> Chopped green onions
> Chopped Kale (no stems)
> Chooped carrots
> Diced potatoes
> Shredded squash

Mayonnaise. Every single thing listed would be good with mayonnaise.

Inner Beauty Hot Sauce. It's a mango-habañero-curry sauce.

Malt vinegar. It's not just for fish & chips.

Béchamel sauce, especially with a bit of nutmeg or Tabasco.

Happy seasoning!

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
To highlight flavor without adding salt, especially with vegtables,
use citrus juices and various vinegars... a good malt vinegar on
french fries eliminates the need for salt and salt laden condiments
like ketchup.

Good point with the vinegar. As a kid, the only vinegar I knew was the white
stuff and thought it was nasty. Many years later, I find that there are
many other types that are really quite pleasing to the taste buds.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dick Adams" > wrote in message
>I rarely use salt. It's not a health issue. It's just that
> my mother never put salt on the table. Over time I came to
> dislike salty foods.

Good for you, itoo much is not good for your body. Plus it is present in
sufficient amounts in many foods with out adding any.

> My primary condiments are black pepper, ground garlic, ground
> onions, and pepper sauce. My diet is changing and going more,
> and more vegetarian. The problem is vegetarian can be awefully
> bland and my condiments aren't making a difference.

There is a bigger problem. You need complete proteins, which are
present in meat, but not in other foods, so you have to combine
other foods to get the complete proteins. Unless you like the idea
of cracked, bleeding skin, dry hair that falls out, pimples, deformed
finger and toenails, and gums that won't hold your teeth in your head.

I would
> appreciate suggestions condiments to put some zest into a dish
> such as:
> A variety of sliced Bell Peppers
> Chopped green onions
> Chopped Kale (no stems)
> Chooped carrots
> Diced potatoes
> Shredded squash

Jalapeno peppers. Browned plump chunks of onions. Use a pepper
mill, fresh cracked pepper is a world apart from ground. A squeeze
of fresh lemon juice. A sprinkle of cheddar cheese! (No reason for
you to avoid dairy, it is not like your diet is based on religious belief.)
And add some tomatos at the end, but just warm them, don't cook
them to mush. Also: rosemary is a great zippy spice.

That said--if you are not going to eat meat, you had better learn to
combine things like beans and rice. You will be both sickly and ugly
if you neglect your complete protein needs. Study up on it online.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> Dick Adams wrote:
>> I rarely use salt. It's not a health issue. It's just that
>> my mother never put salt on the table. Over time I came to
>> dislike salty foods.

> Salt! gimme a break, just because mama never did you won't eat salt?
>
> Jill

And just because she didn't put a salt shaker on the table doesn't mean
she didn't cook with it. Some foods just won't taste right without some
salt in the cooking process.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:

> There is a bigger problem. You need complete proteins, which are
> present in meat, but not in other foods, so you have to combine
> other foods to get the complete proteins. Unless you like the idea
> of cracked, bleeding skin, dry hair that falls out, pimples, deformed
> finger and toenails, and gums that won't hold your teeth in your head.

This is true in the most extreme cases, but you don't run into it much
with your standard, everyday, run of the mill, vegetarian. Most get all
the protien they need from eggs and dairy. The original poster said he
was eating more and more vegetarian, not that he'd given up on meat
altogether. If he's getting enough calories, he's probably getting
enough protein. If he's getting a reasonable variety of vegetables,
fruits, nuts, beans, grains, he's probably getting enough vitamins and
minerals.

The horror stories you hear about deficiencies causing the symptoms you
name usually come from extreme situations, times of war or famine where
people were eating from the same canned goods for years at a time, or
where illness or alcoholism rendered someone unable to digest or
metabolize nutrients. Extreme dieting as with an eating disorder counts
too.

When Lappe came out with _Diet For A Small Planet_, she made it sound
like exact protein combining was necessary or deficiencies would result.
In later editions of the book, she updated her information. If you're
getting rice and beans over the course of a week, you're getting
complementary proteins. They don't have to be eaten at the same meal.

--Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bob Terwilliger" wrote:
> Dick wrote:
> > I rarely use salt. *It's not a health issue. *It's just that
> > my mother never put salt on the table. *Over time I came to
> > dislike salty foods.

> > My primary condiments are black pepper, ground garlic, ground
> > onions, and pepper sauce. *My diet is changing and going more,
> > and more vegetarian. *The problem is vegetarian can be awefully
> > bland and my condiments aren't making a difference. *I would
> > appreciate suggestions condiments to put some zest into a dish
> > such as:
> > *A variety of sliced Bell Peppers
> > *Chopped green onions
> > *Chopped Kale (no stems)
> > *Chooped carrots
> > *Diced potatoes
> > *Shredded squash

> Mayonnaise. Every single thing listed would be good with mayonnaise.

Yeah, but... the entire thrust of this thread is to eliminate extra
salt.

Commercial mayo is high in salt... and the way some slather it on they
may as well have free reign the salt shaker.

> Inner Beauty Hot Sauce. It's a mango-habañero-curry sauce.

Commercial hot sauces all contain rather high salt content too... if
one only uses a dash it probably makes little difference in over-all
salt ingested, but I've seen folks squirt half the bottle on one
serving of rice n' beans.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message

> "Sheldon" > wrote in message
> To highlight flavor without adding salt, especially with vegtables,
> use citrus juices and various vinegars... a good malt vinegar on
> french fries eliminates the need for salt and salt laden condiments
> like ketchup.
>
> Good point with the vinegar. As a kid, the only vinegar I knew was the
> white stuff and thought it was nasty. Many years later, I find that there
> are many other types that are really quite pleasing to the taste buds.

Malt vinegar is the vinegar of choice in the UK for fish and chips.

Dora

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julia Altshuler" > wrote:

> When Lappe came out with _Diet For A Small Planet_, she made it sound like
> exact protein combining was necessary or deficiencies would result. In
> later editions of the book, she updated her information. If you're
> getting rice and beans over the course of a week, you're getting
> complementary proteins. They don't have to be eaten at the same meal.

Yes. I'm frequently amazed by the ignorance people exhibit regarding basic
nutrition. There are so many people who, due to various media distortions
of nutrition studies and their own need to oversimplify to keep it easy,
think, "Fat Bad. Meat Bad. Vegetables Good."

It's just not that simple.

As for the OP, the dish he gave as an example had no rice, no beans,
no dairy, and I saw nothing in his post to suggest that he eats those
things.
Or that he doesn't, as a matter of fact.

Hell, maybe he will respond, we'll see what his take on it is. heh

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat > wrote:

>"Julia Altshuler" > wrote:

>> When Lappe came out with _Diet For A Small Planet_, she made it sound like
>> exact protein combining was necessary or deficiencies would result. In
>> later editions of the book, she updated her information. If you're
>> getting rice and beans over the course of a week, you're getting
>> complementary proteins. They don't have to be eaten at the same meal.

>Yes. I'm frequently amazed by the ignorance people exhibit regarding basic
>nutrition.

Does one of you have a reference for the "one week" figure cited
above? That seems rather a long time. The complementary amino
acids need to be in the liver at the same time for protein synthesis
to occur. And my understanding is that the liver doesn't really store
amino acids or proteins in the same way that it stores glucose/glycogen.

Steve
>of nutrition studies and their own need to oversimplify to keep it easy,
>think, "Fat Bad. Meat Bad. Vegetables Good."
>
>It's just not that simple.
>
>As for the OP, the dish he gave as an example had no rice, no beans,
>no dairy, and I saw nothing in his post to suggest that he eats those
>things.
>Or that he doesn't, as a matter of fact.
>
>Hell, maybe he will respond, we'll see what his take on it is. heh

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Pope wrote:

> Does one of you have a reference for the "one week" figure cited
> above?

Good question. I'm the one who should have the reference, and the best
I can do is say that I think I remember hearing something about it when
the updated and revised edition of Diet for A Small Planet came out,
10-15 years ago. I have the original on my bookshelf and would have to
go to the library for anniversary edition I'm thinking of.

--Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julia Altshuler > wrote:

>Steve Pope wrote:

>> Does one of you have a reference for the "one week" figure cited
>> above?

>Good question. I'm the one who should have the reference, and the best
>I can do is say that I think I remember hearing something about it when
>the updated and revised edition of Diet for A Small Planet came out,
>10-15 years ago. I have the original on my bookshelf and would have to
>go to the library for anniversary edition I'm thinking of.

Thanks. Maybe the next time I have the anniversary edition in
front of me I will try to look this up. (Like you, I've checked
it out of the library at times but only have the original edition
in my book collection.)

It should be relatively easy to determine if a particular
protein-complementary diet is resulting in proper protein
syntheis (say, by measuring blood albumin levels) so I doubt that
the answer to this question is unknown to science.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Pope wrote:

> It should be relatively easy to determine if a particular
> protein-complementary diet is resulting in proper protein
> syntheis (say, by measuring blood albumin levels) so I doubt that
> the answer to this question is unknown to science.

The other important point (and again, I'm going by foggy memory) is that
huge amounts of protein aren't necessary anyway. All the information
about nutrition available now gives people the idea that the only
healthy diet is one with exact amounts of carbs, proteins and fats,
measured down to the milligram, and any deviation will give the dieter
outrageous diseases. In truth, people need adequate calories, and they
do need carbs, proteins and fats (and vitamins, minerals, fiber and
water), but the exact amounts of which percentage of calories come from
each isn't crucial. A meat centered diet provides lots of protein so
when someone says that they're interested in a vegetarian diet or a
near-vegetarian diet, the usual response is, "but how will you get
enough protein?" Truth is, if the vegetarian is getting adequate
calories and some reasonable variety, they're probably getting enough
protein anyway, without figuring it out to the nth degree. (There are
exceptions: Diabetics, the elderly, people who are sick, they might
need to watch their diets pretty carefully.)

--Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julia Altshuler > wrote:

> The other important point (and again, I'm going by foggy
> memory) is that huge amounts of protein aren't necessary anyway.
> All the information about nutrition available now gives people
> the idea that the only healthy diet is one with exact amounts
> of carbs, proteins and fats, measured down to the milligram,
> and any deviation will give the dieter outrageous diseases.
> In truth, people need adequate calories, and they do need carbs,
> proteins and fats (and vitamins, minerals, fiber and water),
> but the exact amounts of which percentage of calories come from
> each isn't crucial.

While I agree that huge amounts of protein are not necessary,
I don't necessarily think the above is an accurate description
of mainstream nutritional advice. The FDA for example says
to eat a minimum of 50 grams of protein per day. That may be
more than is necessary but still it's only 10% of a daily caloric
intake of 2000 calories. That doesn't seem like a huge amount to me,
and probably anywhere from 10% to 50% or more protein would meet
FDA guidelines.

That being said, if your protein is lower-quality you probably
need more of it.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Pope wrote:

> While I agree that huge amounts of protein are not necessary,
> I don't necessarily think the above is an accurate description
> of mainstream nutritional advice.

True. I tend to run into the lunatic fringe, the ones who obsess over
everything and can site some study that supports their opinion or which
they use to jump to untrue conclusions. The complementary proteins is
the perfect example. They read the Lappe book and decide that they'll
die of protein deficiency if they don't combine rice and beans all the
time and every time they eat.

--Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julia Altshuler > wrote:

>Steve Pope wrote:

>> While I agree that huge amounts of protein are not necessary,
>> I don't necessarily think the above is an accurate description
>> of mainstream nutritional advice.

> True. I tend to run into the lunatic fringe, the ones who
> obsess over everything and can site some study that supports
> their opinion or which they use to jump to untrue conclusions.
> The complementary proteins is the perfect example. They read
> the Lappe book and decide that they'll die of protein deficiency
> if they don't combine rice and beans all the time and every
> time they eat.

Well, given that Lippe was widely regarded as on-target with her
protein views for about 30 years, I don't think it counts as
a "lunatic fringe" that a couple generations of vegetarian cooks
followed her advice.

Surely, it remains true that one must eat a sufficient amount
of complete protein to be healthy. Rather then obsessing
over trying to figure out how little protein completion one can
get away with, or how long one can get away with eating unbalanced
protein, the practice of completing protein in each meal
definitely solves the problem and is not unduly difficult.
Pretty much every vegan knows that if their either eat soy protein, or
complement grains and legumes, they are fine.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julia Altshuler > wrote:

>Steve Pope wrote:

>> While I agree that huge amounts of protein are not necessary,
>> I don't necessarily think the above is an accurate description
>> of mainstream nutritional advice.

> True. I tend to run into the lunatic fringe, the ones who
> obsess over everything and can site some study that supports
> their opinion or which they use to jump to untrue conclusions.
> The complementary proteins is the perfect example. They read
> the Lappe book and decide that they'll die of protein deficiency
> if they don't combine rice and beans all the time and every
> time they eat.

Well, given that Lappe was widely regarded as on-target with her
protein views for about 30 years, I don't think it counts as
a "lunatic fringe" that a couple generations of vegetarian cooks
followed her advice.

Surely, it remains true that one must eat a sufficient amount
of complete protein to be healthy. Rather then obsessing
over trying to figure out how little protein completion one can
get away with, or how long one can get away with eating unbalanced
protein, the practice of completing protein in each meal
definitely solves the problem and is not unduly difficult.
Pretty much every vegan knows that if they either eat soy protein, or
complement grains and legumes, they are fine.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julia Altshuler" > wrote in message
> Steve Pope wrote:
>
>> While I agree that huge amounts of protein are not necessary,
>> I don't necessarily think the above is an accurate description
>> of mainstream nutritional advice.

> True. I tend to run into the lunatic fringe, the ones who obsess over
> everything and can site some study that supports their opinion or which
> they use to jump to untrue conclusions. The complementary proteins is the
> perfect example. They read the Lappe book and decide that they'll die of
> protein deficiency if they don't combine rice and beans all the time and
> every time they eat.

You tend to think and talk in extremes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba38 > wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>> Dick Adams wrote:

>>> I rarely use salt. It's not a health issue. It's just that
>>> my mother never put salt on the table. Over time I came to
>>> dislike salty foods.

>> Salt! gimme a break, just because mama never did you won't eat salt?

> And just because she didn't put a salt shaker on the table doesn't mean
> she didn't cook with it. Some foods just won't taste right without some
> salt in the cooking process.

She didn't cook with salt either and thankfully she didn't make coffee.
Neither did my grandmother.

Dick
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dick Adams" > wrote

> She didn't cook with salt either and thankfully she didn't make coffee.
> Neither did my grandmother.

Dick, why do you think this is good?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat > wrote:

> Yes. I'm frequently amazed by the ignorance people exhibit regarding basic
> nutrition. There are so many people who, due to various media distortions
> of nutrition studies and their own need to oversimplify to keep it easy,
> think, "Fat Bad. Meat Bad. Vegetables Good."
>
> It's just not that simple.
>
> As for the OP, the dish he gave as an example had no rice, no beans,
> no dairy, and I saw nothing in his post to suggest that he eats those
> things. Or that he doesn't, as a matter of fact.
>
> Hell, maybe he will respond, we'll see what his take on it is. heh

I'm frequently amazed by the ignorance people exhibit when they read
too much into what isn't written.

I have chicken or fish at least two meals a week and red meat maybe
once a month. There's a hell of a lot of salt in canned foods. So
much salt that I dislike low sodium soups. I eat rice with dinner
3-7 nights a week and sting beans whenever we have them. At least
once a week, my lunch is a baked potato with butter, green onions,
and chipotle.

I'd drink milk except my family likes 1% and I like real milk. Tonight
I had a ham steak with rice and mixed vegetables. My usual is two meals
a day because I am disabled, inactive, etc. and not hungry. If I need
a snack, it's either fruit or sardines. I weigh over 260 (188 kg or
18.5 stones). My good colesteral is high, bad colesteral is low, and
my blood pressure is 118 over 60.

Vegetables are very good for you. My back is held together with
two chunks of concrete and doctors keep giving me heavy duty pain
killers. Pain killers plus a normal amount of red meat result in
opiate-induced constipation - and that is often more painful than
back pain. Vegetables go though your digestive system as smoothly
as a tender lover working on your neck.

I'd just like to find different seasoning to perk up my meals.

Thanks to every one who has made constructive suggestions. In
particular, I like the orange and lemon zest ideas. I have both
of those readily available as I peel the zest off citrus (except
grapefruit which I detest) for flavoring with vodka.

Dick
Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat > wrote:
> "Dick Adams" > wrote

>> She didn't cook with salt either and thankfully she didn't make coffee.
>> Neither did my grandmother.

> Dick, why do you think this is good?

What some people think is the aroma of coffee I think is a stench.
But to each his own.

Dick

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Yeah, but... the entire thrust of this thread is to eliminate extra
> salt.
>
> Commercial mayo is high in salt... and the way some slather it on they
> may as well have free reign the salt shaker.

I've probably have an exceptionall low salt intake. My intention
for this was to identify seasonings to bring out the flavor in
vegetables. Plus brown mustard has more flavor (to me) than mayo.

Dick

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:

> There is a bigger problem. You need complete proteins, which are
> present in meat, but not in other foods, so you have to combine
> other foods to get the complete proteins. Unless you like the idea
> of cracked, bleeding skin, dry hair that falls out, pimples, deformed
> finger and toenails, and gums that won't hold your teeth in your head.

WoW - that puts a whole new shine on the word "extremism".

Dick
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Julia Altshuler > wrote:

> When Lappe came out with _Diet For A Small Planet_, she made it sound
> like exact protein combining was necessary or deficiencies would result.
> In later editions of the book, she updated her information. If you're
> getting rice and beans over the course of a week, you're getting
> complementary proteins. They don't have to be eaten at the same meal.

I'm so glad you covered this because most of the (casual) things I've
read lately say that the combo directive is a total myth based on no
fact whatsoever. The general impression I get from my informal readings
is that as long as otherwise healthy people eat a very diverse diet
(whether vegetarian or not), we won't have much to worry about.

Emma
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dick Adams" > wrote in message
> cybercat wrote:
>
>> There is a bigger problem. You need complete proteins, which are
>> present in meat, but not in other foods, so you have to combine
>> other foods to get the com plete proteins. Unless you like the idea
>> of cracked, bleeding skin, dry hair that falls out, pimples, deformed
>> finger and toenails, and gums that won't hold your teeth in your head.

> WoW - that puts a whole new shine on the word "extremism".

Well, I was trying to make a point. That worked with my sister's
teenager when she decided to go vegan. (The OP sounded young
to me.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dick Adams" > wrote in message
> cybercat > wrote:
>
>> Yes. I'm frequently amazed by the ignorance people exhibit regarding
>> basic
>> nutrition. There are so many people who, due to various media distortions
>> of nutrition studies and their own need to oversimplify to keep it easy,
>> think, "Fat Bad. Meat Bad. Vegetables Good."
>>
>> It's just not that simple.
>>
>> As for the OP, the dish he gave as an example had no rice, no beans,
>> no dairy, and I saw nothing in his post to suggest that he eats those
>> things. Or that he doesn't, as a matter of fact.
>>
>> Hell, maybe he will respond, we'll see what his take on it is. heh

> I'm frequently amazed by the ignorance people exhibit when they read
> too much into what isn't written.

Oh, you ARE the OP! hahaha

> I have chicken or fish at least two meals a week and red meat maybe
> once a month. There's a hell of a lot of salt in canned foods. So
> much salt that I dislike low sodium soups. I eat rice with dinner
> 3-7 nights a week and sting beans whenever we have them. At least
> once a week, my lunch is a baked potato with butter, green onions,
> and chipotle.

Well I am happy for you. You just sounded a little too self congratulatory
about the "vegetarian" aspects your meals were taking on.

What do canned foods have to do with it?

Next question: why are you anti-salt? It's an easy way to add flavor
to the bland vegetables you mentioned in your original post, and
it is fine in moderation.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"limey" > wrote in message

> "Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Sheldon" > wrote in message
>> To highlight flavor without adding salt, especially with vegtables,
>> use citrus juices and various vinegars... a good malt vinegar on
>> french fries eliminates the need for salt and salt laden condiments
>> like ketchup.
>>
>> Good point with the vinegar. As a kid, the only vinegar I knew was the
>> white stuff and thought it was nasty. Many years later, I find that
>> there are many other types that are really quite pleasing to the taste
>> buds.

> Malt vinegar is the vinegar of choice in the UK for fish and chips.
>
> Dora

japanese make hundreds of different types of vinegar, some very mild. try
Mitsukan for a start, japanese choice for fish and chips.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Emma Thackery > wrote:

> Julia Altshuler > wrote:

>> When Lappe came out with _Diet For A Small Planet_, she made it sound
>> like exact protein combining was necessary or deficiencies would result.
>> In later editions of the book, she updated her information. If you're
>> getting rice and beans over the course of a week, you're getting
>> complementary proteins. They don't have to be eaten at the same meal.

>I'm so glad you covered this because most of the (casual) things I've
>read lately say that the combo directive is a total myth based on no
>fact whatsoever.

It is by no means a myth that you need a sufficient intake of
essential amino acids to avoid diseases like pellagra.

>The general impression I get from my informal readings
>is that as long as otherwise healthy people eat a very diverse diet
>(whether vegetarian or not), we won't have much to worry about.

Yes, but this is true because a diverse vegetarian diet has the
effect of combining various protein sources into complete protein.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat > wrote:
> "Dick Adams" > wrote:
>> cybercat > wrote:

>>> Yes. I'm frequently amazed by the ignorance people exhibit regarding
>>> basic nutrition. There are so many people who, due to various media
>>> distortions of nutrition studies and their own need to oversimplify
>>> to keep it easy, think, "Fat Bad. Meat Bad. Vegetables Good."
>>>
>>> It's just not that simple.
>>>
>>> As for the OP, the dish he gave as an example had no rice, no beans,
>>> no dairy, and I saw nothing in his post to suggest that he eats those
>>> things. Or that he doesn't, as a matter of fact.
>>>
>>> Hell, maybe he will respond, we'll see what his take on it is. heh

>> I'm frequently amazed by the ignorance people exhibit when they read
>> too much into what isn't written.

> Oh, you ARE the OP! hahaha

>> I have chicken or fish at least two meals a week and red meat maybe
>> once a month. There's a hell of a lot of salt in canned foods. So
>> much salt that I dislike low sodium soups. I eat rice with dinner
>> 3-7 nights a week and sting beans whenever we have them. At least
>> once a week, my lunch is a baked potato with butter, green onions,
>> and chipotle.

> Well I am happy for you. You just sounded a little too
> self-congratulatory about the "vegetarian" aspects your meals
> were taking on.

Again you read what wasn't written.

> What do canned foods have to do with it?

Soup is food. Chicken soup is both food and medicine. At least
once a month we order out Chinese and my dinner consists of a
large 'Hot-n-Sour' soup. Soups come with more salt than most
people put on fries. When I use canned tomatoes in a recipe, the
salt in the tomatoes is more than enough for the entire recipe.

> Next question: why are you anti-salt? It's an easy way to add flavor
> to the bland vegetables you mentioned in your original post, and
> it is fine in moderation.

No where is it written that I am "anti-salt". I am at a loss as to
how you conjured up that idea. All I wrote is that I did not eat
much salt as a child and now find adding salt to food is distastful
to me. So why would you suggest I add salt?

Did you read the words I wrote or just the words that were not there.

Dick
Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat > wrote:
> "Dick Adams" > wrote:
>> cybercat wrote:

>>> There is a bigger problem. You need complete proteins, which are
>>> present in meat, but not in other foods, so you have to combine
>>> other foods to get the com plete proteins. Unless you like the idea
>>> of cracked, bleeding skin, dry hair that falls out, pimples, deformed
>>> finger and toenails, and gums that won't hold your teeth in your head.

>> WoW - that puts a whole new shine on the word "extremism".

> Well, I was trying to make a point. That worked with my sister's
> teenager when she decided to go vegan. (The OP sounded young
> to me.)

Everyday is my 17th birthday! But my body is retirement age.

Once again you read too much of what is not written.

Dick

Posted to rec.food.cooking

JWBH > wrote:
> "limey" > wrote:
>> "Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote:
>>> "Sheldon" > wrote:

>>> To highlight flavor without adding salt, especially with vegtables,
>>> use citrus juices and various vinegars... a good malt vinegar on
>>> french fries eliminates the need for salt and salt laden condiments
>>> like ketchup.
>>>
>>> Good point with the vinegar. As a kid, the only vinegar I knew was the
>>> white stuff and thought it was nasty. Many years later, I find that
>>> there are many other types that are really quite pleasing to the taste
>>> buds.

>> Malt vinegar is the vinegar of choice in the UK for fish and chips.

Great idea. I liked the malt vinegar I had with fish and chips
in the UK. Until now, I only used vinegar on salads and with
spinach. Adding malt vinegar to my shopping list!

> japanese make hundreds of different types of vinegar, some
> very mild. try Mitsukan for a start, japanese choice for
> fish and chips.

Another great idea.

Dick

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dick Adams > wrote:

>JWBH > wrote:

>> japanese make hundreds of different types of vinegar, some
>> very mild. try Mitsukan for a start, japanese choice for
>> fish and chips.

>Another great idea.

The brand I use is Mizkan, and it's pretty good.

Steve

What is Old Bay Seasoning Hench General Cooking 36 28-03-2013 07:15 PM
Seasoning a Wok Kswck General Cooking 1 20-01-2009 12:23 AM
seasoning a wok Jen General Cooking 5 06-10-2005 10:44 PM
Wok Seasoning [email protected] Cooking Equipment 3 26-01-2005 02:56 PM
wok seasoning? Sticks General Cooking 5 26-05-2004 12:10 AM