Old 23-03-2013, 11:34 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What is Old Bay Seasoning

I don't know what the heck this is. I'm under the assumption it's some
Brand Name of pre-mixed herbs or seasoning from the USA. It has come up
a bunch of times in meat recipes from American based websites.

What is it, and how can I make it at home from my spice rack...

Anyone heard of this stuff?

Old 24-03-2013, 01:02 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 23 Mar 2013 19:34:37 -0400, Hench wrote:

I don't know what the heck this is. I'm under the assumption it's some
Brand Name of pre-mixed herbs or seasoning from the USA. It has come up
a bunch of times in meat recipes from American based websites.

What is it, and how can I make it at home from my spice rack...

Anyone heard of this stuff?

The ingredients are listed at the web site:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...%2Caps%2 C215

Old 24-03-2013, 01:23 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-03-23, Hench wrote:

Anyone heard of this stuff?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Bay_Seasoning

nb
Old 24-03-2013, 02:09 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 23, 6:34*pm, Hench wrote:

I don't know what the heck this is. *I'm under the assumption it's some
Brand Name of pre-mixed herbs or seasoning from the USA. *It has come up
a bunch of times in meat recipes from American based websites.

What is it, and how can I make it at home from my spice rack...

Anyone heard of this stuff?

Old Bay is not sold in Canada?

Old 24-03-2013, 02:18 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Hench" wrote in message ...
I don't know what the heck this is. I'm under the assumption it's some
Brand Name of pre-mixed herbs or seasoning from the USA. It has come up a
bunch of times in meat recipes from American based websites.

What is it, and how can I make it at home from my spice rack...

Anyone heard of this stuff?

I bought it once. Many years ago. Should be able to find the ingredients
online though. Yep.

http://www.spiceplace.com/old_bay_seasoning.php

Old 24-03-2013, 02:43 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

I looked for my tin of Old Bay. ? Must have given it to the grandchildren
for storing fossils or other treasures. Old Bay is for yankees - that is -
everyone living north of Florida. The rest of us use the real thing which
is made by Zatarain's. 'They say' they play jazz in their kitchens so the
seasonings come out just right. I believe. Polly

Old 24-03-2013, 04:40 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/23/2013 9:43 PM, Polly Esther wrote:
I looked for my tin of Old Bay. ? Must have given it to the
grandchildren for storing fossils or other treasures. Old Bay is for
yankees - that is - everyone living north of Florida. The rest of us
use the real thing which is made by Zatarain's. 'They say' they play
jazz in their kitchens so the seasonings come out just right. I
believe. Polly

When steaming blue crabs, it has to be Old Bay. Zatarains is good for
shrimp and crawfish, though I find it a bit too salty for my taste.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Old 24-03-2013, 04:41 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 24 Mar 2013 11:40:24 -0500, Janet Wilder
wrote:

On 3/23/2013 9:43 PM, Polly Esther wrote:
I looked for my tin of Old Bay. ? Must have given it to the
grandchildren for storing fossils or other treasures. Old Bay is for
yankees - that is - everyone living north of Florida. The rest of us
use the real thing which is made by Zatarain's. 'They say' they play
jazz in their kitchens so the seasonings come out just right. I
believe. Polly

When steaming blue crabs, it has to be Old Bay. Zatarains is good for
shrimp and crawfish, though I find it a bit too salty for my taste.

How much do you use? Salt is never an issue, AFAIC.... but I don't
steam, I boil (with lemons).

Old 24-03-2013, 06:08 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 24/03/2013 1:35 PM, Hench wrote:

Old Bay is not sold in Canada?

Not from what I see but I live in a small town. I've never looked for
it though. It may be available at Walmart as they are an American company.

I only come across it when I search online for meat recipes.

I've always used Montreal Chicken Spice in it's place but it sounds like
the two are not close at all.

If it's for seafood as people say it is I may give it a shot!

I have never seen it. AFAIK, it's for boiling crabs. I don't remember
ever seeing fresh crab for sale, so there would not be much point.

Old 24-03-2013, 06:58 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-03-24, Dave Smith wrote:

I have never seen it. AFAIK, it's for boiling crabs.

That's Zatarain's Shrimp, Seafood, and Crab Boil. Yes, OB can be used
for a crab/shrimp boil, but a recipe for a boil, even the term "boil",
is found nowhere on the can.

nb
Old 24-03-2013, 06:58 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

On 3/23/2013 9:43 PM, Polly Esther wrote:
I looked for my tin of Old Bay. ? Must have given it to the
grandchildren for storing fossils or other treasures. Old Bay is for
yankees - that is - everyone living north of Florida. The rest of us
use the real thing which is made by Zatarain's. 'They say' they play
jazz in their kitchens so the seasonings come out just right. I
believe. Polly

When steaming blue crabs, it has to be Old Bay. Zatarains is good for
shrimp and crawfish, though I find it a bit too salty for my taste.

How much do you use? Salt is never an issue, AFAIC.... but I don't
steam, I boil (with lemons).

If I use the same amount of Zaterains to boil shrimp as I would use Old
Bay, the Zaterains is too salty. I switched back to Old Bay. I think
it's a bit less overpowering to the shrimp, as well. You many recall I
am not a fan of hot pepper.

Old 24-03-2013, 10:56 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 24, 5:00*pm, Dave Smith wrote:

On 24/03/2013 4:53 PM, Susan wrote:

On 3/24/2013 2:08 PM, Dave Smith wrote:

I have never seen it. AFAIK, it's for boiling crabs. I don't remember
ever seeing fresh crab for sale, so there would not be much point.

Nope, it's a mix of pretty all purpose herbs and spices, says for meat
and poultry on the tin.

Wouldn't know. I have never seen it in any stores here.

I used it last year in a recipe from Reynold's wrap for spicy shrimp.
It was verrrry good and everybody raved about the results. It was
used as a marinade before grilling the shrimp.

Old 24-03-2013, 11:30 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 24, 6:11*pm, Dave Smith wrote:

On 24/03/2013 6:56 PM, wrote:

Wouldn't know. I have never seen it in any stores here.

I used it last year in a recipe from Reynold's wrap for spicy shrimp.
It was verrrry good and everybody raved about the results. *It was
used as a marinade before grilling the shrimp.

I will keep an eye out for it... but I don't expect to see it. * When I
grill shrimp I use a tried and true marinade... *olive oil, lemon or
lime juice, lots of crushed garlic, salt and pepper, Whatsthishere
sauce, parsley and hot sauce.

Your local store may have their own house brand of this 'spice.' The
spicy shrimp recipe I used is very similar to yours with the addition
of Old Bay seasoning.

1 pound peeled and deveined shrimp

4 cloves of minced garlic (micro plane zester does a great job on
this)

1/4 cup lemon juice (usually the yield of 1 lemon)

2 teaspoons lemon pepper

4 teaspoons seafood seasoning such as Old Bay

2 tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce

1/2 cup of vegetable oil

Whisk all together and pour over cleaned shrimp and marinate for at
least 30 minutes. Half of the sauce can be reserved to brush on the
shrimp while grilling if desired. This also can be quickly prepared in
a skillet on the stove. Either way gives great results and a grill
skillet can used if you don't want to skewer your shrimp for the
grill.

Seasoning a Wok Kswck General Cooking 1 19-01-2009 11:23 PM
Seasoning Dick Adams[_2_] General Cooking 55 08-03-2007 04:59 PM
seasoning a wok Jen General Cooking 5 06-10-2005 10:44 PM
Wok Seasoning [email protected] Cooking Equipment 3 26-01-2005 01:56 PM
wok seasoning? Sticks General Cooking 5 26-05-2004 12:10 AM