Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon Sheldon is offline

Default Seasoning

Mr Libido Incognito wrote:
> Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

> > > Salt! *gimme a break, just because mama never did you won't eat
> > > salt?

> > > Jill

> > He said he does not care for salty foods. *Where is the harm in that?

> > He'd be better off frying up some of those peppers in bacon fat for
> > flavor anyway.

> And using the crumbled bacon as well. Plus say toasted minced dried onions
> as well

Yeah, but... bacon adds tremendous quantities of salt, bacon fat puts
salted butter to shame... bacon and other cured meats is the very
worst choice of flavoring to cut back on salts... frying anything in
bacon fat tastes great mostly due to all that salt it adds, hardly
anyone ever salts foods fried in bacon fat... fry your eggs in bacon
fat you won't want any more salt.

To highlight flavor without adding salt, especially with vegtables,
use citrus juices and various vinegars... a good malt vinegar on
french fries eliminates the need for salt and salt laden condiments
like ketchup. And there are many fresh and even dried herbs that
amplify flavor... placing a big dollop of plain yogurt with chives or
scallions and especially horseradish on baked/boiled potatoes
eliminates the need for adding salt. When preparing your own mustards
you can omit salt too, and mustard is an excellent flavor enhancer
especially for meats... only takes a few minutes to mix hot mustard
powder with water... keep a couple ounce container in the fridge and
you'll use it often, great condiment for your no salt added stir
fries. There also exist many no salt added spice blends that are
excellent. Another very good salt *free* flavor enhancer are sugars
(white and brown), various natural flavored syrups (fruit flavored,
maple, molasses, sorghum, and especially honey). Many cured meats,
especially bacon, rely on sugar in their manufacture to cut back on
the salts... sugar is a natural preservative, the oldest known to
man... what do you think is preserving that box of dried grapes.

Sheldon SweetNSour