Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default What do you eat for Breakfast?

I am trying to collect a few good diabetic menus and recipes that actually
are good for diabetics. I have a few diabetic cookbooks and some of the
recipes in them I am sure are not diabetic friendly.

I am starting out with breakfast menus as that seems to be my most difficult
meal of the day. What do you eat for breakfasts?
Thank you for your help.
Claire
Type2 - 2003
250g Metformin

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Spinach omelet: I could eat this day after day after day. In fact I do.

Ingredients: All items available at Costco:

Baby spinach in big bag--fabulous deal...long shelf life.
Egg white in cartons--Kirkland brand--another fabulous deal.
Kirkland Mexican cheese blend-4 cheeses--ditto on the deal.
Louis Rich turkey bacon. 3 to a package. Great deal.
Cayenne pepper
Olive oil

Directions:
Cut up 1 slice of turkey bacon and brown in covered pan.
Add two hands full of baby spinach and sprinkle with olive oil. Stir a bit
until spinach half wilted. Pour in 4 to 5 eggs worth of liquid egg white.
Sprinkle with cayenne. Sprinkle Mexican cheese blend over top and cover over
low heat.

Oh...this is so good!

Serve with salsa if you like.

"Claire" > wrote in message
>I am trying to collect a few good diabetic menus and recipes that actually
>are good for diabetics. I have a few diabetic cookbooks and some of the
>recipes in them I am sure are not diabetic friendly.
>
> I am starting out with breakfast menus as that seems to be my most
> difficult meal of the day. What do you eat for breakfasts?
> Thank you for your help.
> Claire
> Type2 - 2003
> 250g Metformin

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Claire" > wrote in message
> I am trying to collect a few good diabetic menus and recipes that actually
> are good for diabetics. I have a few diabetic cookbooks and some of the
> recipes in them I am sure are not diabetic friendly.
>
> I am starting out with breakfast menus as that seems to be my most

difficult
> meal of the day. What do you eat for breakfasts?
> Thank you for your help.

Usually just a handful of pumpkin seeds. If my BG is low enough I might add
some grapefruit or strawberries. This morning I had a small bean taco and a
sliced tomato, but that's not a typical breakfast. I was very hungry this
morning. I've been sick for the past couple of days and haven't eaten much
at all. And I'll be at a dress rehearsal for my daughter's dance recital
later in the day. I won't have time for a proper lunch or dinner.

--
See my webpage:

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article <0GBfg.218192$7a.19089@pd7tw1no>,
"Claire" > wrote:

> I am trying to collect a few good diabetic menus and recipes that actually
> are good for diabetics. I have a few diabetic cookbooks and some of the
> recipes in them I am sure are not diabetic friendly.
>
> I am starting out with breakfast menus as that seems to be my most difficult
> meal of the day. What do you eat for breakfasts?

Right now I'm stuck in a rut: 2-3 eggs scrambled with cream and a tall
glass of iced tea with double lemon, sweetened with 1/2 Splenda and 1/2
sugar.

Priscilla
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Claire" > wrote in message
>I am trying to collect a few good diabetic menus and recipes that actually
>are good for diabetics. I have a few diabetic cookbooks and some of the
>recipes in them I am sure are not diabetic friendly.
>
> I am starting out with breakfast menus as that seems to be my most
> difficult meal of the day. What do you eat for breakfasts?
> Thank you for your help.
> Claire
> Type2 - 2003
> 250g Metformin

I'm Type 1 so I can pretty much eat anything, but my usual breakfasts a
Lowfat cottage cheese with a packet of Equal + some vanilla, ground flax
seeds and fresh fruit (either berries or banana, depending on what I have on
hand). I'll also have the same thing with yogurt instead of cottage cheese.
If I have yogurt, I'll also add about 1/2 of a serving of All Bran Extra
Fiber cereal. I do the same thing with oatmeal (vanilla, flax etc).

Egg Beaters omelette. I always add some lowfat cheese and whatever meat or
meat substitute I have handy - ham or veggie ham, veggie sausage, bacon
bits. You can have a whole lot of Egg beaters for not many calories.
Alternately, I'll have just 1 serving of Egg Beaters (or one large egg) with
a slice of fat free cheese + meat/substitute on a Thomas' Wholegrain Light
English Muffin.

Then there are the days I have cold cereal, which I do fine with. Usually
something high fiber although when I'm craving junk I have Peanut Butter
Cap'n Crunch with banana and light soy milk. Lately I've been mixing 1
serving of Special K high protein/low(er) carb cereal with 1 serving of All
Bran Extra Fiber, fruit and soy milk. When I have cold cereal I'll often
throw 1/2 cup of Egg Beaters into the microwave (without adding anything to
them) for extra protein.

Sometimes on the weekend I go insane and have several huge pancakes or
french toast with lowfat or veggie sausages and sugar free syrup.

You can have whatever you want for breakfast, it doesn't have to be
"breakfast food".

--
Liz
Type 1 dx 4/1987

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Elizabeth Blake wrote on 01 Jun 2006 in alt.food.diabetic

> You can have whatever you want for breakfast, it doesn't have to be
> "breakfast food".
>

> --
> Liz
> Type 1 dx 4/1987
> Minimed Paradigm 715 5/2005

The odd day I'll go with the higher Carb...toasted rye bread smothered in
crunchy peanut butter. Or a kinda egg taco/quesdillia dealie involving
cheese, a hard boiled egg; diced, thin strips of bell pepper, a little hot
sauce and a little diced fresh tomato and maybe sliced mushrooms all
wrapped up in a low carb tortillia or pan fried in a folded in half
tortillia.

But mostly it is "3 cheese" scrambled eggs cooked slowly over very low
heat. I believe low heat and slow cooking makes for superior scrambled eggs

--
-Alan
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Thank you all for your contributions and ideas to my breakfast recipe file.
They have been very helpful to me and yes I was having a hard time getting
used to the idea that I actually could eat anything I wanted for breakfast
even leftovers from supper. It's hard to teach an old dog new tricks but it
can be done.

I would never have thought to eat yougurt for breakfast, have always
considered it a dessert for me. Who made up that rule in my mind I don't
know. Same with eggs, thought if I had more than 2 a week that I was doomed
to high cholesterol for sure. I keep forgetting about the egg substitutes,
I have used them before and didn't mind them at all. Picked up a couple of
packages yesterday at the grocery store along with some salsa. Now I like
that idea of have salsa with my omelette after all I am the one who likes
ketchup or A1 Sauce with my scrambled eggs.

Liz you mentioned that you are Type I and can pretty much eat anything and
that made me wonder if the diabetic cookbooks that I have are written more
with Type I diabetics in mind? If so then I have been too hard on the
authors and need to look more to ways I can change the recipes to work
better for me.
Thanks again.

Claire
Type 2 - 2003
250mg X 2 Metformin

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Claire" > wrote in message
> I am starting out with breakfast menus as that seems to be my most
> difficult meal of the day. What do you eat for breakfasts?

Flaxseed porridge - tastes good, has about 6g CHO, and if I feel like a
change, the mix can be beaten with an egg to make tasty pancakes : )

I mix about 60% ground flaxseed, 30% ground nuts of some kind, and 10% bran,
with a lot of cinnamon. I make enough for 10-12 2-scoop servings at a time,
and store a jar-full in the fridge, and another in the freezer. To make,
just pour on boiling water. I sometimes stir in blueberries or raspberries
too.

Nicky.

--
A1c 10.5/5.4/<6 T2 DX 05/2004
1g Metformin, 100ug Thyroxine

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Claire" > wrote in message

> Liz you mentioned that you are Type I and can pretty much eat anything and
> that made me wonder if the diabetic cookbooks that I have are written more
> with Type I diabetics in mind? If so then I have been too hard on the
> authors and need to look more to ways I can change the recipes to work
> better for me.
> Thanks again.

Most diabetic cookbooks I've ever looked at were pretty much high carb, and
the only thing "diabetic" about them was subbing artificial sweetener for
sugar. Often the recipes are low fat as well, but mostly they just seemed
to be no sugar, but plenty of other carbs. When I make something I try to
keep everything as low as possible with it still tasting good. So, if an
artificial sweetener will work just fine I'll use it. If sugar really can't
be omitted without ruining the recipe then I'll use it. I always try to sub
fat free or low fat ingredients when I can. That's why I love Egg Beaters!

--
Liz
Type 1 dx 4/1987

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Claire" > wrote in message
> [...]

<snip>

> Liz you mentioned that you are Type I and can pretty much eat anything and
> that made me wonder if the diabetic cookbooks that I have are written more
> with Type I diabetics in mind? If so then I have been too hard on the
> authors and need to look more to ways I can change the recipes to work
> better for me.

All of the diabetic cookbooks I've seen are written for people with type 1
who may need a lower fat diet but not necessarily a lower carb one. Odd
because there are far more of us type 2's out there. And yet as one of my
former Endos told me, almost anything you get about diabetes that doesn't
specifically mention type 2 is aimed at a type 1.

--
See my webpage:

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Thu, 01 Jun 2006 13:09:16 GMT, "Claire" > wrote:

>I am trying to collect a few good diabetic menus and recipes that actually
>are good for diabetics. I have a few diabetic cookbooks and some of the
>recipes in them I am sure are not diabetic friendly.
>
>I am starting out with breakfast menus as that seems to be my most difficult
>meal of the day. What do you eat for breakfasts?
>Thank you for your help.
>Claire
>Type2 - 2003
>250g Metformin

Lately, I have been having a cup, or two, of black coffee, with no
sweetener, and 1 piece of sprouted whole grain bread with nuts,
slathered with cream cheese.... It is very good and gets me through
the morning. Sometimes, I have a few blueberries or raspberries with
it. By doing this, my BG always stays safely below 140 at 1 hr PP, and
below 120 at 2 hrs PP... Most of the time it is even lower.

On Saturdays, we have an omlet, yesterday with prosciuttp. gpat
cheese, and asparagus....

I have also been known to have a couple of fresh tomato slices, with
cottage cheeese, and chunks of fresh tuna...

Will, T2

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Claire > wrote:
: I am trying to collect a few good diabetic menus and recipes that actually
: are good for diabetics. I have a few diabetic cookbooks and some of the
: recipes in them I am sure are not diabetic friendly.

: I am starting out with breakfast menus as that seems to be my most difficult
: meal of the day. What do you eat for breakfasts?
: Thank you for your help.
: Claire
: Type2 - 2003
: 250g Metformin

Well, I might as wel put my usual breakfast into the mix here. I don't
know why it works, but it does for me and tastes lovely. This is
accompanies only by 2 mugs of black decaf coffee.

1/4-1/4 C low fat cottage cheese topped by small quantities of 3-4
different fruits, topped by 1/3-1/2C low fat, plain yogurt. By small
qhantities of fruit I mea, 1/2 small peach,3-4 strawberries, a handful of
other berries in season like blue, rasp,blacketc, 1/2 a clenentine orange
(small one), a smile of canteloupe or honeydew melon, 1 apricot, 1/5 of a
mango, 1/5 or so of an apple or pear. I think you get the idea. This
meal really never spikes me, although even a small serving of , say,
oatmeal, does.

Alternte breakfast-egg beater omelette with some chopped vegetables or
baco-bits, ot grated cheese (or a combination) accompanies by upp to 3
Wata Bread or Ryevita crackers with a bit of low-fat no transfat margarine
and a little of my home made no sugar added fruit fam. this works well,
but not quite as well as the breakfast above.

With these or any others, you have to test to see if they work for you.
In addition, before my sciatica on walked about 3/4 of a mile three days
aweek to some classes I take, and that made a difference in what I could
eat for breakfast. On those days, I could, occasionally have a small
serving (1/2 C of old fshioned oatmeal (not instant) with a few
tablespoons of milk.

Wendy