Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Elizabeth Blake[_1_] Elizabeth Blake[_1_] is offline

Default What do you eat for Breakfast?

"Claire" > wrote in message
>I am trying to collect a few good diabetic menus and recipes that actually
>are good for diabetics. I have a few diabetic cookbooks and some of the
>recipes in them I am sure are not diabetic friendly.
>
> I am starting out with breakfast menus as that seems to be my most
> difficult meal of the day. What do you eat for breakfasts?
> Thank you for your help.
> Claire
> Type2 - 2003
> 250g Metformin

I'm Type 1 so I can pretty much eat anything, but my usual breakfasts a
Lowfat cottage cheese with a packet of Equal + some vanilla, ground flax
seeds and fresh fruit (either berries or banana, depending on what I have on
hand). I'll also have the same thing with yogurt instead of cottage cheese.
If I have yogurt, I'll also add about 1/2 of a serving of All Bran Extra
Fiber cereal. I do the same thing with oatmeal (vanilla, flax etc).

Egg Beaters omelette. I always add some lowfat cheese and whatever meat or
meat substitute I have handy - ham or veggie ham, veggie sausage, bacon
bits. You can have a whole lot of Egg beaters for not many calories.
Alternately, I'll have just 1 serving of Egg Beaters (or one large egg) with
a slice of fat free cheese + meat/substitute on a Thomas' Wholegrain Light
English Muffin.

Then there are the days I have cold cereal, which I do fine with. Usually
something high fiber although when I'm craving junk I have Peanut Butter
Cap'n Crunch with banana and light soy milk. Lately I've been mixing 1
serving of Special K high protein/low(er) carb cereal with 1 serving of All
Bran Extra Fiber, fruit and soy milk. When I have cold cereal I'll often
throw 1/2 cup of Egg Beaters into the microwave (without adding anything to
them) for extra protein.

Sometimes on the weekend I go insane and have several huge pancakes or
french toast with lowfat or veggie sausages and sugar free syrup.

You can have whatever you want for breakfast, it doesn't have to be
"breakfast food".

--
Liz
Type 1 dx 4/1987