Old 04-02-2006, 06:39 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Can anyone invent me a couple of dishes

G'day G'day Folks,

Can anyone come up with a couple of recipes. They need to be very
simple ie bloke proof. Items near the top of the list score higher
than those at the bottom. One low carb and one low fat would be
fantastic. You must NOT mind seeing your recipe in print.

avocado,
bean; navy, pinto, small red, black
pea, Blackeyed;
broccoli raab; spinach
raspberry, cranberry, blackberry, strawberry
Brazil nut; pecans, walnuts, cashews, pistachios, hazelnuts,
prunes; figs
bell peppers, orange, yellow
artichokes
lettuce,
oats
pumpkin, corn, potato.

If you include cloves, turmeric, ginger, dried oregano, freshly ground
black pepper you score bonus points.

Best wishes,
--
Quentin Grady ^ ^ /
New Zealand, #,# [

http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/quentin

Old 04-02-2006, 10:52 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Quentin Grady" wrote in message

G'day G'day Folks,

Can anyone come up with a couple of recipes. They need to be very
simple ie bloke proof. Items near the top of the list score higher
than those at the bottom. One low carb and one low fat would be
fantastic. You must NOT mind seeing your recipe in print.

avocado,
bean; navy, pinto, small red, black
pea, Blackeyed;
broccoli raab; spinach
raspberry, cranberry, blackberry, strawberry
Brazil nut; pecans, walnuts, cashews, pistachios, hazelnuts,
prunes; figs
bell peppers, orange, yellow
artichokes
lettuce,
oats
pumpkin, corn, potato.

If you include cloves, turmeric, ginger, dried oregano, freshly ground
black pepper you score bonus points.

You've almost got a 2-course meal there.

Make a guacamole and stir in some of the beans; add salt and black pepper to
taste. Serve in bell pepper pots, with a salad topped with broccoli raab (if
that's what I know as sprouting broccoli, a good sub for asparagus in
season). Arrange some matchsticked ginger over the peppers. Low fat it by
making the filling with a coarse bean puree instead of guacamole.

For dessert, make a fruit crumble topped with some nuts and oats. Serve with
crème frais and a sprinkling of clove powder. Low fat by swinging the
balance towards the oats, and serve with yoghurt.

No idea what you can do with the pumpkin, corn and potato. I guess you could
make a soup for a starter, but I wouldn't eat it because it'd be too carby
: )

Nicky.

--
A1c 10.5/5.4/6 T2 DX 05/2004
1g Metformin, 100ug Thyroxine

Old 04-02-2006, 12:54 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sat, 04 Feb 2006 19:39:21 +1300, Quentin Grady
wrote:

[...]

Hi Quentin

I've posted this one a few times. You may be able to swap
some ingredients for your prefered ones, like spinach. Also
have a look at my stir-fry recipe at
http://tinyurl.com/caedy and ways to use it at
http://tinyurl.com/7t45q Maybe you could fiddle around with
some of the ingredients using that logic.

Cheesy Guacamole

To be "bloke friendly - roughly chop all ingredients and use
a food processor.

Low carb, but not necessarily low fat - depending on the
cheese. Can be modified to use more light philadelphia and
less cheddar.

Items on your list are noted with asterisks. I added the
broccoli last time I made it. I'm afraid I'm not sure what
"broccoli raab" is:-)

My Cheesy Guacamole

1 moderate size ripe avocado. ******
¼ to 1/2 cup chopped celery
¼ to 1/2 cup chopped broccoli ******
¼ cup chopped onion
¼ cup chopped red capsicum (bell pepper) ******
1 chopped hot chili pepper (to your taste, or chili flakes)
½ minced clove of garlic
30g chopped cheddar cheese
30g light philadelphia or ricotta or cottage cheese
2 teaspoons grated parmesan
a squeeze of lemon or lime juice
1/2 tsp minced/grated ginger (optional)
salt and pepper to taste

All ingredients are extremely approximate and dependant on
what's in the fridge.

Peel and seed avocado, mix all ingredients.
Adjust dryness with a little olive or peanut oil if
necessary until a smooth paste is obtained.

If using a food processor, add the solid vegetable
ingredients last and process briefly to retain some texture.

Serve with slices of carrot, celery or similar for dipping.
I often use fresh asparagus spears. Low-fat crackers may be
OK depending on your carb requirements.

Carbs, fat etc - not the faintest idea (low, and depends
how much you have and whether you use veges or crackers to
dip). Check your own BG at one and two hours, mine is
usually good after this.

Use it to fill the "gotta have something" gap between meals.
Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
d&e, metformin 2x500mg
Old 04-02-2006, 08:25 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Quentin Grady wrote:

[...]

: --
: Quentin Grady ^ ^ /
: New Zealand, #,# [
: / \ /\
: "... and the blind dog was leading."

: http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/quentin

I typed up a whole recipe and then my isp crashed adn I lost it. Here is
a quick and dirty version

Quesntin Healhy Soup

Soak overnight and par boil up to 2 cups of asorted beans and black eyed
peas

Soft saute 2-3 chopped onions and 2-4 cut up yellow and red bel peppers in
a small amount of olive or canola oil.

put into a pot with a minimum of 2 quarts of sstock, vegetable or meat, or
water with a boullion cube. Then add

1/2-1 lb cut up pumpklin or other winter squash-like butternut
Salt adn freshly ground black pepper -to taste
6 whole cloves
1 finely chopped hot pepper (optional) or dried peperincino flakes to
taste

Bring to a boil and simmer until everything is soft. IF YOU WANT-puree
the soup. You may want to add liquid if this is all too thick.

add 1 tsp tumeric, fresly grated or dried ground ginger(to taste) 1 Tbs
Oregono Add 3 cups washed broccoli rabe and/or spinach leaves(optional)
and cook until leaves are wilted. Taste adn adjust seadsoning.

Serve with mashed avocado mixed with 1 Tbs of lime juice if you like.

Salad to go with the soup

Spinach leaves
Assorted fresh berries
Assorted nuts, Brazil, pistacio, Walnuts, pecans, etc.
Avocado slices

Dress this with a citrus vinegrette make with 1 part lemon /lime and or
orange juice mixed with to 2-3 parts evtra virgin olive oil, crushe
dgarlic, salt adn fresly ground black pepper, and oregono to taste

Dessert
Stewed prunes and figs sweetened ,if necessary, with Splenda or other
sweetener of yur choice. Flavor with cinnamon and ginger if desired.

Wendy
Old 04-02-2006, 08:56 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

dip strawberries in balsamic vinegar for a flavour
sensation

i'm not much of a cook :-)

kate
--
Join us in the Diabetic-Talk Chatroom on UnderNet
/server irc.undernet.org --- /join #Diabetic-Talk

Old 04-02-2006, 09:50 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"TigerLily" wrote in message
dip strawberries in balsamic vinegar for a flavour
sensation

Slice 'em and sprinkle black pepper is good too : )

Nicky.

Old 04-02-2006, 10:36 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nicky wrote:
"Quentin Grady" wrote in message

No idea what you can do with the pumpkin, corn and potato.

I guess
you could make a soup for a starter, but I wouldn't eat it

because
it'd be too carby

Pumpkin pieces (roasted but not to burnt point how I like em
in roasts) in rocket salad is great, baby spinach can be
used as well, unless Q means the other kind of spinach.

Thin pork slices sauteed with onion, garlic, fresh ginger,
the broccoli raab (whatever that is - lol), sliced peppers,
add some black beans and things like oyster sauce etc
(chinese style cooking I am thinking here) and before
serving add cashews...

Serve with a spinach/iceberg/avocado salad/with dried
cranberries if you like (we call them craisins here) and
some sort of dressing. Black pepper could be cracked over
both meals.

Old 04-02-2006, 10:38 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

TigerLily wrote:
dip strawberries in balsamic vinegar for a flavour
sensation

i'm not much of a cook :-)

Lol, but that is bloke-friendly cooking A lot I know
can't boil an egg.

Old 05-02-2006, 02:27 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

you reminded me of when i had to go out of town on
business

i started to tell my brother where things were and
such...... he brushed me off and pooh poohed me

the next evening, i called home to see how he was
doing............. just GREAT he said......... but
how do you make coffee with the coffee maker??

lol

he had scrambled eggs while i was gone :-)

--
Join us in the Diabetic-Talk Chatroom on UnderNet
/server irc.undernet.org --- /join #Diabetic-Talk
More info: http://www.diabetic-talk.org/
http://www.diabetic-talk.org/freeveggies.htm
I have no medical qualifications beyond my own
experience.
Choose your advisers carefully, because experience
can be
an expensive teacher.

"Ozgirl" wrote in
message

Old 05-02-2006, 05:39 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

This post not CC'd by email
wrote:

avocado,
bean; navy, pinto, small red, black
pea, Blackeyed;
broccoli raab; spinach
raspberry, cranberry, blackberry, strawberry
Brazil nut; pecans, walnuts, cashews, pistachios, hazelnuts,
prunes; figs
bell peppers, orange, yellow
artichokes
lettuce,
oats
pumpkin, corn, potato.

If you include cloves, turmeric, ginger, dried oregano, freshly ground
black pepper you score bonus points.

G'day G'day Folks,

I'm a little overwhelmed with the recipes so far.

Some of you BAKE.
This is really scary.

My idea of a recipe is

One can of Craigs' bean and corn salsa.
Add premium mince. Ignore what the supermarkets call it.
Mix two teaspoons of cumin seeds, 6 cloves, 1/2 teaspoon of black
pepper, a pinch of dried oregano. Grind.

Blend together with spoon that doesn't scratch your fry pan.
Heat until the mince is cooked.

If you have only some of the spices, who cares.

The hidden rules are there are TWO ingredients.
That makes it a recipe. Then add spices.
This gives the illusion you can cook.

OK, folks, your ideas are brilliant. I'll consider them all.

At the moment I'm pounding away at chapter 6.

Best wishes,
--
Quentin Grady ^ ^ /
New Zealand, #,# [

Old 05-02-2006, 12:15 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

This post not CC'd by email
wrote:

[...]

I am surprised at you wanting dried oregano rather than
fresh. Speaking of herbs, I saw purple basil for the first
time today. The smell is magnificent. It had a minty smell
as well as other smells, the label said aniseed and cinnamon
aroma. Whatever, it was really a smell sensation.

Old 05-02-2006, 01:43 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Quentin Grady" wrote in message
Blend together with spoon that doesn't scratch your fry pan.

You've already progressed well beyond bloke cooking if you appreciate that
the above is important : )

Nicky.

Old 05-02-2006, 06:11 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Quentin Grady wrote:

: I'm a little overwhelmed with the recipes so far.

: Some of you BAKE.
: This is really scary.

: My idea of a recipe is

: One can of Craigs' bean and corn salsa.
: Add premium mince. Ignore what the supermarkets call it.
: Mix two teaspoons of cumin seeds, 6 cloves, 1/2 teaspoon of black
: pepper, a pinch of dried oregano. Grind.

: Blend together with spoon that doesn't scratch your fry pan.
: Heat until the mince is cooked.

: If you have only some of the spices, who cares.

: The hidden rules are there are TWO ingredients.
: That makes it a recipe. Then add spices.
: This gives the illusion you can cook.

: OK, folks, your ideas are brilliant. I'll consider them all.

: At the moment I'm pounding away at chapter 6.

: Best wishes,
: --
: Quentin Grady ^ ^ /
Quentin,

sorry if my soup recipe sounds too daunting for you. One simplifiction
would be to use a few dieereent cns of beans insead of the dried ones. Yu
would want several cans, one of ech kind, rinsed (to get tht gunky stuff
off) adn then proceede. One thing with making a big pot of soup (which is
no harder than making a little pot of sup) is that yu hve it for days and
don't need to keep cooking. You can also freeze some of it for later.
the canned beas wudl really make it a lot easier. You could leave out the
peppers adn add them to the salad, but I don't think the soup woudl be a
tasty.

Wendy
Old 05-02-2006, 06:39 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

This post not CC'd by email
On Sun, 05 Feb 2006 12:15:09 GMT, "Ozgirl"
wrote:

I am surprised at you wanting dried oregano rather than
fresh.

G'day G'day Ozgirl,

Blame Frank. Nah. Don't blame anyone. Frank inspired me to examine
L-ORAC scores, oxygen radical absorbency capacity measured in fats and
oils. One item they tested was dried oregano. The problem with
science that so often sucks us in is they love to standardised. Dried
oregano is most likely more standardised than fresh. It won't wilt
for instance.

Speaking of herbs, I saw purple basil for the first
time today. The smell is magnificent. It had a minty smell
as well as other smells, the label said aniseed and cinnamon
aroma. Whatever, it was really a smell sensation.

If you ever get the chance grow blue spice basil. You would keep that
for fragrance alone.

Best wishes.
--
Quentin Grady ^ ^ /
New Zealand, #,# [

Old 05-02-2006, 06:42 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

This post not CC'd by email
On Sun, 5 Feb 2006 13:43:09 -0000, "Nicky"
wrote:

"Quentin Grady" wrote in message
.. .
Blend together with spoon that doesn't scratch your fry pan.

You've already progressed well beyond bloke cooking if you appreciate that
the above is important : )

Nicky.

G'day G'day Nicky,

Thanks. I'm endeavouring to avoid the sort of mistakes that get
blokes banned from the kitchen. My book is designed to actually get
blokes involved in their own nutritional destiny.

Thanks, once again for noticing.

Best wishes,
--
Quentin Grady ^ ^ /