Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Alan S[_1_] Alan S[_1_] is offline

Default Can anyone invent me a couple of dishes

On Sat, 04 Feb 2006 19:39:21 +1300, Quentin Grady
> wrote:

>G'day G'day Folks,
>
> Can anyone come up with a couple of recipes. They need to be very
>simple ie bloke proof. Items near the top of the list score higher
>than those at the bottom. One low carb and one low fat would be
>fantastic. You must NOT mind seeing your recipe in print.
>
>avocado,
>bean; navy, pinto, small red, black
>pea, Blackeyed;
>broccoli raab; spinach
>raspberry, cranberry, blackberry, strawberry
>Brazil nut; pecans, walnuts, cashews, pistachios, hazelnuts,
>prunes; figs
>bell peppers, orange, yellow
>artichokes
>lettuce,
>oats
>pumpkin, corn, potato.
>
>If you include cloves, turmeric, ginger, dried oregano, freshly ground
>black pepper you score bonus points.
>
>Best wishes,

Hi Quentin

I've posted this one a few times. You may be able to swap
some ingredients for your prefered ones, like spinach. Also
have a look at my stir-fry recipe at
http://tinyurl.com/caedy and ways to use it at
http://tinyurl.com/7t45q Maybe you could fiddle around with
some of the ingredients using that logic.

Cheesy Guacamole

To be "bloke friendly - roughly chop all ingredients and use
a food processor.

Low carb, but not necessarily low fat - depending on the
cheese. Can be modified to use more light philadelphia and
less cheddar.

Items on your list are noted with asterisks. I added the
broccoli last time I made it. I'm afraid I'm not sure what
"broccoli raab" is:-)

My Cheesy Guacamole

1 moderate size ripe avocado. ******
¼ to 1/2 cup chopped celery
¼ to 1/2 cup chopped broccoli ******
¼ cup chopped onion
¼ cup chopped red capsicum (bell pepper) ******
1 chopped hot chili pepper (to your taste, or chili flakes)
½ minced clove of garlic
30g chopped cheddar cheese
30g light philadelphia or ricotta or cottage cheese
2 teaspoons grated parmesan
a squeeze of lemon or lime juice
1/2 tsp minced/grated ginger (optional)
salt and pepper to taste

All ingredients are extremely approximate and dependant on
what's in the fridge.

Peel and seed avocado, mix all ingredients.
Adjust dryness with a little olive or peanut oil if
necessary until a smooth paste is obtained.

If using a food processor, add the solid vegetable
ingredients last and process briefly to retain some texture.

Serve with slices of carrot, celery or similar for dipping.
I often use fresh asparagus spears. Low-fat crackers may be
OK depending on your carb requirements.

Carbs, fat etc - not the faintest idea (low, and depends
how much you have and whether you use veges or crackers to
dip). Check your own BG at one and two hours, mine is
usually good after this.

Use it to fill the "gotta have something" gap between meals.
Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
d&e, metformin 2x500mg