Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Can anyone invent me a couple of dishes

G'day G'day Folks,

Can anyone come up with a couple of recipes. They need to be very
simple ie bloke proof. Items near the top of the list score higher
than those at the bottom. One low carb and one low fat would be
fantastic. You must NOT mind seeing your recipe in print.

avocado,
bean; navy, pinto, small red, black
pea, Blackeyed;
broccoli raab; spinach
raspberry, cranberry, blackberry, strawberry
Brazil nut; pecans, walnuts, cashews, pistachios, hazelnuts,
prunes; figs
bell peppers, orange, yellow
artichokes
lettuce,
oats
pumpkin, corn, potato.

If you include cloves, turmeric, ginger, dried oregano, freshly ground
black pepper you score bonus points.

Best wishes,
--
Quentin Grady ^ ^ /
New Zealand, >#,#< [

http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/quentin
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Quentin Grady" > wrote in message

> G'day G'day Folks,
>
> Can anyone come up with a couple of recipes. They need to be very
> simple ie bloke proof. Items near the top of the list score higher
> than those at the bottom. One low carb and one low fat would be
> fantastic. You must NOT mind seeing your recipe in print.
>
> avocado,
> bean; navy, pinto, small red, black
> pea, Blackeyed;
> broccoli raab; spinach
> raspberry, cranberry, blackberry, strawberry
> Brazil nut; pecans, walnuts, cashews, pistachios, hazelnuts,
> prunes; figs
> bell peppers, orange, yellow
> artichokes
> lettuce,
> oats
> pumpkin, corn, potato.
>
> If you include cloves, turmeric, ginger, dried oregano, freshly ground
> black pepper you score bonus points.

You've almost got a 2-course meal there.

Make a guacamole and stir in some of the beans; add salt and black pepper to
taste. Serve in bell pepper pots, with a salad topped with broccoli raab (if
that's what I know as sprouting broccoli, a good sub for asparagus in
season). Arrange some matchsticked ginger over the peppers. Low fat it by
making the filling with a coarse bean puree instead of guacamole.

For dessert, make a fruit crumble topped with some nuts and oats. Serve with
crème frais and a sprinkling of clove powder. Low fat by swinging the
balance towards the oats, and serve with yoghurt.

No idea what you can do with the pumpkin, corn and potato. I guess you could
make a soup for a starter, but I wouldn't eat it because it'd be too carby
: )

Nicky.

--
A1c 10.5/5.4/<6 T2 DX 05/2004
1g Metformin, 100ug Thyroxine

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sat, 04 Feb 2006 19:39:21 +1300, Quentin Grady
> wrote:

>G'day G'day Folks,
>
> Can anyone come up with a couple of recipes. They need to be very
>simple ie bloke proof. Items near the top of the list score higher
>than those at the bottom. One low carb and one low fat would be
>fantastic. You must NOT mind seeing your recipe in print.
>
>avocado,
>bean; navy, pinto, small red, black
>pea, Blackeyed;
>broccoli raab; spinach
>raspberry, cranberry, blackberry, strawberry
>Brazil nut; pecans, walnuts, cashews, pistachios, hazelnuts,
>prunes; figs
>bell peppers, orange, yellow
>artichokes
>lettuce,
>oats
>pumpkin, corn, potato.
>
>If you include cloves, turmeric, ginger, dried oregano, freshly ground
>black pepper you score bonus points.
>
>Best wishes,

Hi Quentin

I've posted this one a few times. You may be able to swap
some ingredients for your prefered ones, like spinach. Also
have a look at my stir-fry recipe at
http://tinyurl.com/caedy and ways to use it at
http://tinyurl.com/7t45q Maybe you could fiddle around with
some of the ingredients using that logic.

Cheesy Guacamole

To be "bloke friendly - roughly chop all ingredients and use
a food processor.

Low carb, but not necessarily low fat - depending on the
cheese. Can be modified to use more light philadelphia and
less cheddar.

Items on your list are noted with asterisks. I added the
broccoli last time I made it. I'm afraid I'm not sure what
"broccoli raab" is:-)

My Cheesy Guacamole

1 moderate size ripe avocado. ******
¼ to 1/2 cup chopped celery
¼ to 1/2 cup chopped broccoli ******
¼ cup chopped onion
¼ cup chopped red capsicum (bell pepper) ******
1 chopped hot chili pepper (to your taste, or chili flakes)
½ minced clove of garlic
30g chopped cheddar cheese
30g light philadelphia or ricotta or cottage cheese
2 teaspoons grated parmesan
a squeeze of lemon or lime juice
1/2 tsp minced/grated ginger (optional)
salt and pepper to taste

All ingredients are extremely approximate and dependant on
what's in the fridge.

Peel and seed avocado, mix all ingredients.
Adjust dryness with a little olive or peanut oil if
necessary until a smooth paste is obtained.

If using a food processor, add the solid vegetable
ingredients last and process briefly to retain some texture.

Serve with slices of carrot, celery or similar for dipping.
I often use fresh asparagus spears. Low-fat crackers may be
OK depending on your carb requirements.

Carbs, fat etc - not the faintest idea (low, and depends
how much you have and whether you use veges or crackers to
dip). Check your own BG at one and two hours, mine is
usually good after this.

Use it to fill the "gotta have something" gap between meals.
Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
d&e, metformin 2x500mg
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Quentin Grady > wrote:

[...]

: --
: Quentin Grady ^ ^ /
: New Zealand, >#,#< [
: / \ /\
: "... and the blind dog was leading."

: http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/quentin

I typed up a whole recipe and then my isp crashed adn I lost it. Here is
a quick and dirty version

Quesntin Healhy Soup

Soak overnight and par boil up to 2 cups of asorted beans and black eyed
peas

Soft saute 2-3 chopped onions and 2-4 cut up yellow and red bel peppers in
a small amount of olive or canola oil.

put into a pot with a minimum of 2 quarts of sstock, vegetable or meat, or
water with a boullion cube. Then add

1/2-1 lb cut up pumpklin or other winter squash-like butternut
Salt adn freshly ground black pepper -to taste
6 whole cloves
1 finely chopped hot pepper (optional) or dried peperincino flakes to
taste

Bring to a boil and simmer until everything is soft. IF YOU WANT-puree
the soup. You may want to add liquid if this is all too thick.

add 1 tsp tumeric, fresly grated or dried ground ginger(to taste) 1 Tbs
Oregono Add 3 cups washed broccoli rabe and/or spinach leaves(optional)
and cook until leaves are wilted. Taste adn adjust seadsoning.

Serve with mashed avocado mixed with 1 Tbs of lime juice if you like.

Salad to go with the soup

Spinach leaves
Assorted fresh berries
Assorted nuts, Brazil, pistacio, Walnuts, pecans, etc.
Avocado slices

Dress this with a citrus vinegrette make with 1 part lemon /lime and or
orange juice mixed with to 2-3 parts evtra virgin olive oil, crushe
dgarlic, salt adn fresly ground black pepper, and oregono to taste

Dessert
Stewed prunes and figs sweetened ,if necessary, with Splenda or other
sweetener of yur choice. Flavor with cinnamon and ginger if desired.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

dip strawberries in balsamic vinegar for a flavour
sensation

i'm not much of a cook :-)

kate
--
Join us in the Diabetic-Talk Chatroom on UnderNet
/server irc.undernet.org --- /join #Diabetic-Talk

"Quentin Grady" > wrote in
message

> G'day G'day Folks,
>
> Can anyone come up with a couple of recipes.

They need to be very
> simple ie bloke proof. Items near the top of

the list score higher
> than those at the bottom. One low carb and one

low fat would be
> fantastic. You must NOT mind seeing your recipe

in print.

> avocado,
> bean; navy, pinto, small red, black
> pea, Blackeyed;
> broccoli raab; spinach
> raspberry, cranberry, blackberry, strawberry
> Brazil nut; pecans, walnuts, cashews,

pistachios, hazelnuts,
> prunes; figs
> bell peppers, orange, yellow
> artichokes
> lettuce,
> oats
> pumpkin, corn, potato.
>
> If you include cloves, turmeric, ginger, dried

oregano, freshly ground
> black pepper you score bonus points.
>
> Best wishes,
> --
> Quentin Grady ^ ^ /
> New Zealand, >#,#< [
> / \ /\
> "... and the blind dog was leading."
>
> http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/quentin

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"TigerLily" > wrote in message
> dip strawberries in balsamic vinegar for a flavour
> sensation

Slice 'em and sprinkle black pepper is good too : )

Nicky.

--
A1c 10.5/5.4/<6 T2 DX 05/2004
1g Metformin, 100ug Thyroxine
95/73/72Kg

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nicky wrote:
> "Quentin Grady" > wrote in message

> No idea what you can do with the pumpkin, corn and potato.

I guess
> you could make a soup for a starter, but I wouldn't eat it

because
> it'd be too carby

Pumpkin pieces (roasted but not to burnt point how I like em
in roasts) in rocket salad is great, baby spinach can be
used as well, unless Q means the other kind of spinach.

Thin pork slices sauteed with onion, garlic, fresh ginger,
the broccoli raab (whatever that is - lol), sliced peppers,
add some black beans and things like oyster sauce etc
(chinese style cooking I am thinking here) and before
serving add cashews...

Serve with a spinach/iceberg/avocado salad/with dried
cranberries if you like (we call them craisins here) and
some sort of dressing. Black pepper could be cracked over
both meals.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

TigerLily wrote:
> dip strawberries in balsamic vinegar for a flavour
> sensation
>
> i'm not much of a cook :-)

Lol, but that is bloke-friendly cooking A lot I know
can't boil an egg.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

you reminded me of when i had to go out of town on
business

i started to tell my brother where things were and
such...... he brushed me off and pooh poohed me

the next evening, i called home to see how he was
doing............. just GREAT he said......... but
how do you make coffee with the coffee maker??

lol

he had scrambled eggs while i was gone :-)

--
Join us in the Diabetic-Talk Chatroom on UnderNet
/server irc.undernet.org --- /join #Diabetic-Talk
More info: http://www.diabetic-talk.org/
http://www.diabetic-talk.org/freeveggies.htm
I have no medical qualifications beyond my own
experience.
Choose your advisers carefully, because experience
can be
an expensive teacher.

"Ozgirl" > wrote in
message

> TigerLily wrote:
> > dip strawberries in balsamic vinegar for a

flavour
> > sensation
> >
> > i'm not much of a cook :-)

> Lol, but that is bloke-friendly cooking A lot

I know
> can't boil an egg.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

This post not CC'd by email
On Sat, 04 Feb 2006 19:39:21 +1300, Quentin Grady
> wrote:

>avocado,
>bean; navy, pinto, small red, black
>pea, Blackeyed;
>broccoli raab; spinach
>raspberry, cranberry, blackberry, strawberry
>Brazil nut; pecans, walnuts, cashews, pistachios, hazelnuts,
>prunes; figs
>bell peppers, orange, yellow
>artichokes
>lettuce,
>oats
>pumpkin, corn, potato.
>
>If you include cloves, turmeric, ginger, dried oregano, freshly ground
>black pepper you score bonus points.

G'day G'day Folks,

I'm a little overwhelmed with the recipes so far.

Some of you BAKE.
This is really scary.

My idea of a recipe is

One can of Craigs' bean and corn salsa.
Add premium mince. Ignore what the supermarkets call it.
Mix two teaspoons of cumin seeds, 6 cloves, 1/2 teaspoon of black
pepper, a pinch of dried oregano. Grind.

Blend together with spoon that doesn't scratch your fry pan.
Heat until the mince is cooked.

If you have only some of the spices, who cares.

The hidden rules are there are TWO ingredients.
That makes it a recipe. Then add spices.
This gives the illusion you can cook.

OK, folks, your ideas are brilliant. I'll consider them all.

At the moment I'm pounding away at chapter 6.

Best wishes,
--
Quentin Grady ^ ^ /
New Zealand, >#,#< [
"... and the blind dog was leading."

http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/quentin

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Quentin Grady wrote:
> This post not CC'd by email
> On Sat, 04 Feb 2006 19:39:21 +1300, Quentin Grady
> > wrote:
>
>>avocado,
>>bean; navy, pinto, small red, black
>>pea, Blackeyed;
>>broccoli raab; spinach
>>raspberry, cranberry, blackberry, strawberry
>>Brazil nut; pecans, walnuts, cashews, pistachios,

hazelnuts,
>>prunes; figs
>>bell peppers, orange, yellow
>>artichokes
>>lettuce,
>>oats
>>pumpkin, corn, potato.
>>
>>If you include cloves, turmeric, ginger, dried oregano,

freshly ground
>>black pepper you score bonus points.

> G'day G'day Folks,
>
> I'm a little overwhelmed with the recipes so far.
>

> Some of you BAKE.
> This is really scary.
>
> My idea of a recipe is
>
> One can of Craigs' bean and corn salsa.
> Add premium mince. Ignore what the supermarkets call it.
> Mix two teaspoons of cumin seeds, 6 cloves, 1/2 teaspoon

of black
> pepper, a pinch of dried oregano. Grind.
>
> Blend together with spoon that doesn't scratch your fry

pan.
> Heat until the mince is cooked.
>
> If you have only some of the spices, who cares.
>
> The hidden rules are there are TWO ingredients.
> That makes it a recipe. Then add spices.
> This gives the illusion you can cook.
>
> OK, folks, your ideas are brilliant. I'll consider them

all.

> At the moment I'm pounding away at chapter 6.

I am surprised at you wanting dried oregano rather than
fresh. Speaking of herbs, I saw purple basil for the first
time today. The smell is magnificent. It had a minty smell
as well as other smells, the label said aniseed and cinnamon
aroma. Whatever, it was really a smell sensation.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Quentin Grady" > wrote in message
> Blend together with spoon that doesn't scratch your fry pan.

You've already progressed well beyond bloke cooking if you appreciate that
the above is important : )

Nicky.

--
A1c 10.5/5.4/<6 T2 DX 05/2004
1g Metformin, 100ug Thyroxine
95/73/72Kg

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Quentin Grady > wrote:

: I'm a little overwhelmed with the recipes so far.

: Some of you BAKE.
: This is really scary.

: My idea of a recipe is

: One can of Craigs' bean and corn salsa.
: Add premium mince. Ignore what the supermarkets call it.
: Mix two teaspoons of cumin seeds, 6 cloves, 1/2 teaspoon of black
: pepper, a pinch of dried oregano. Grind.

: Blend together with spoon that doesn't scratch your fry pan.
: Heat until the mince is cooked.

: If you have only some of the spices, who cares.

: The hidden rules are there are TWO ingredients.
: That makes it a recipe. Then add spices.
: This gives the illusion you can cook.

: OK, folks, your ideas are brilliant. I'll consider them all.

: At the moment I'm pounding away at chapter 6.

: Best wishes,
: --
: Quentin Grady ^ ^ /
Quentin,

sorry if my soup recipe sounds too daunting for you. One simplifiction
would be to use a few dieereent cns of beans insead of the dried ones. Yu
would want several cans, one of ech kind, rinsed (to get tht gunky stuff
off) adn then proceede. One thing with making a big pot of soup (which is
no harder than making a little pot of sup) is that yu hve it for days and
don't need to keep cooking. You can also freeze some of it for later.
the canned beas wudl really make it a lot easier. You could leave out the
peppers adn add them to the salad, but I don't think the soup woudl be a
tasty.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

This post not CC'd by email
On Sun, 05 Feb 2006 12:15:09 GMT, "Ozgirl"
> wrote:

>I am surprised at you wanting dried oregano rather than
>fresh.

G'day G'day Ozgirl,

Blame Frank. Nah. Don't blame anyone. Frank inspired me to examine
L-ORAC scores, oxygen radical absorbency capacity measured in fats and
oils. One item they tested was dried oregano. The problem with
science that so often sucks us in is they love to standardised. Dried
oregano is most likely more standardised than fresh. It won't wilt
for instance.

> Speaking of herbs, I saw purple basil for the first
>time today. The smell is magnificent. It had a minty smell
>as well as other smells, the label said aniseed and cinnamon
>aroma. Whatever, it was really a smell sensation.

If you ever get the chance grow blue spice basil. You would keep that
for fragrance alone.

Best wishes.
--
Quentin Grady ^ ^ /
New Zealand, >#,#< [
"... and the blind dog was leading."

http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/quentin
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

This post not CC'd by email
On Sun, 5 Feb 2006 13:43:09 -0000, "Nicky"
> wrote:

>"Quentin Grady" > wrote in message
.. .
>> Blend together with spoon that doesn't scratch your fry pan.

>You've already progressed well beyond bloke cooking if you appreciate that
>the above is important : )
>
>Nicky.

G'day G'day Nicky,

Thanks. I'm endeavouring to avoid the sort of mistakes that get
blokes banned from the kitchen. My book is designed to actually get
blokes involved in their own nutritional destiny.

Thanks, once again for noticing.

Best wishes,
--
Quentin Grady ^ ^ /
New Zealand, >#,#< [
"... and the blind dog was leading."

http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/quentin

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

This post not CC'd by email
On Sun, 5 Feb 2006 18:11:52 +0000 (UTC), "W. Baker"
> wrote:

>Quentin,
>
>sorry if my soup recipe sounds too daunting for you. One simplifiction
>would be to use a few dieereent cns of beans insead of the dried ones. Yu
>would want several cans, one of ech kind, rinsed (to get tht gunky stuff
>off) adn then proceede. One thing with making a big pot of soup (which is
>no harder than making a little pot of sup) is that yu hve it for days and
>don't need to keep cooking. You can also freeze some of it for later.
>the canned beas wudl really make it a lot easier. You could leave out the
>peppers adn add them to the salad, but I don't think the soup woudl be a
>tasty.
>
>Wendy

G'day G'day Wendy,

The soup sounded fine. Soup appeals to blokes. You sort of don't
need to plan. Add ingredients in the right order and leave to cook.
Soaking things over night requires more forethought than most blokes
are likely to muster. Most go to the kitchen WHEN they are hungry.

Best wishes,
--
Quentin Grady ^ ^ /
New Zealand, >#,#< [
"... and the blind dog was leading."

http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/quentin
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sun, 05 Feb 2006 12:15:09 GMT, "Ozgirl"
> wrote:

>I am surprised at you wanting dried oregano rather than
>fresh. Speaking of herbs, I saw purple basil for the first
>time today. The smell is magnificent. It had a minty smell
>as well as other smells, the label said aniseed and cinnamon
>aroma. Whatever, it was really a smell sensation.

I used both; we had so much growing that I dried a lot.

I "used" was deliberate past tense. Mum did us a favour when
she visited and pulled out the funny weeds in the garden.
She's actually quite a keen gardener - but had never seen
oregano before and it had overgrown a bit. Time to buy some
more seeds or seedlings:-)

I found the flavours quite different between dried and
fresh. The same with basil.

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
d&e, metformin 2x500mg
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

This post not CC'd by email
On Sat, 4 Feb 2006 10:52:30 -0000, "Nicky"
> wrote:

>You've almost got a 2-course meal there.
>
>Make a guacamole and stir in some of the beans; add salt and black pepper to
>taste.

G'day G'day Nicky,

Think bloke. I sort of assume you mean I should

1. take a can of cooked mixed beans.
2. drain out the liquid.
3. mash the beans
4. stir them into the guacamole.

>Serve in bell pepper pots, with a salad topped with broccoli raab (if
>that's what I know as sprouting broccoli, a good sub for asparagus in
>season).

>Arrange some match sticked ginger over the peppers. Low fat it by
>making the filling with a coarse bean puree instead of guacamole.

Is that the pink pickled ginger?

>For dessert, make a fruit crumble topped with some nuts and oats.

Am I stupid or what? I haven't a clue how to make a fruit crumble.
What makes it crumble?
I make a pretty mean fruit salad but it never crumbles.

>Serve with crème frais and a sprinkling of clove powder. Low fat by swinging the
>balance towards the oats, and serve with yoghurt.

Does one have to whisk up some rolled oat and do something with them
to make them stay on top of the fruit?

>No idea what you can do with the pumpkin, corn and potato. I guess you could
>make a soup for a starter, but I wouldn't eat it because it'd be too carby
>: )

I'd rather avoid the pumpkin, corn and potato too.

>Nicky.

Thanks Nicky. I really don't know the things I am asking about. My
cooking meets my needs for myself and entertaining but is rather
limited.

Best wishes,

--
Quentin Grady ^ ^ /
New Zealand, >#,#< [
"... and the blind dog was leading."

http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/quentin
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

G'day G'day Alan,

Guacamole seems like a good choice to me.

This post not CC'd by email
On Sat, 04 Feb 2006 23:54:29 +1100, Alan S

--
Quentin Grady ^ ^ /
New Zealand, >#,#< [
"... and the blind dog was leading."

http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/quentin
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Quentin Grady" > wrote in message

> G'day G'day Folks,
>
> Can anyone come up with a couple of recipes. They need to be very
> simple ie bloke proof. Items near the top of the list score higher
> than those at the bottom. One low carb and one low fat would be
> fantastic. You must NOT mind seeing your recipe in print.
>
> avocado,
> bean; navy, pinto, small red, black
> pea, Blackeyed;
> broccoli raab; spinach
> raspberry, cranberry, blackberry, strawberry
> Brazil nut; pecans, walnuts, cashews, pistachios, hazelnuts,
> prunes; figs
> bell peppers, orange, yellow
> artichokes
> lettuce,
> oats
> pumpkin, corn, potato.
>
> If you include cloves, turmeric, ginger, dried oregano, freshly ground
> black pepper you score bonus points.

This is not an original recipe. I got it years ago from a magazine, but
it's quick to fix.

Hearty Bean/Corn Chili

Simply take three cans of beans (different kinds), a can of corn and place
in pad. Add or drain the juice, depending on how thick or runny you like
it. Mix in a jar of salsa and heat through.

I should think you could add a bit of finely chopped spinach to this. I'll
also add whatever veggies I have around the house such as onion, bell
pepper, tomato, etc. Of course black pepper could be included as well as
oregano.

The origanal recipe was to be served over a bed of rice, but I skip the rice
now. Top with whatever garnishes you like such as chopped avocado, sour
cream, shredded cheese,chopped tomato,chopped onion, corn chips. You could
probably even top with a bit of shredded lettuce, although you wouldn't want
too much or it would get soggy.

--
See my webpage:

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> I am surprised at you wanting dried oregano rather than
> fresh. Speaking of herbs, I saw purple basil for the first
> time today. The smell is magnificent. It had a minty smell
> as well as other smells, the label said aniseed and cinnamon
> aroma. Whatever, it was really a smell sensation.

I grew some lemon basil this summer. It tasted and smelled of lemon.

--
See my webpage:

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

This post not CC'd by email
On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 07:23:05 GMT, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>This is not an original recipe. I got it years ago from a magazine, but
>it's quick to fix.
>
>Hearty Bean/Corn Chili
>
>Simply take three cans of beans (different kinds), a can of corn and place
>in pad. Add or drain the juice, depending on how thick or runny you like
>it. Mix in a jar of salsa and heat through.
>
>I should think you could add a bit of finely chopped spinach to this. I'll
>also add whatever veggies I have around the house such as onion, bell
>pepper, tomato, etc. Of course black pepper could be included as well as
>oregano.
>
>The origanal recipe was to be served over a bed of rice, but I skip the rice
>now. Top with whatever garnishes you like such as chopped avocado, sour
>cream, shredded cheese,chopped tomato,chopped onion, corn chips. You could
>probably even top with a bit of shredded lettuce, although you wouldn't want
>too much or it would get soggy.

G'day G'day Julie,

Thanks. I like the approach.

When I wrote my original request I didn't think to make it clear I was
looking for EVERYDAY recipes, nothing special.

Best wishes,

--
Quentin Grady ^ ^ /
New Zealand, >#,#< [
"... and the blind dog was leading."

http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/quentin
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Quentin Grady" > wrote in message
> This post not CC'd by email
> On Sat, 4 Feb 2006 10:52:30 -0000, "Nicky"
> > wrote:
>
>>You've almost got a 2-course meal there.
>>
>>Make a guacamole and stir in some of the beans; add salt and black pepper
>>taste.

> G'day G'day Nicky,
>
> Think bloke. I sort of assume you mean I should
>
> 1. take a can of cooked mixed beans.
> 2. drain out the liquid.
> 3. mash the beans
> 4. stir them into the guacamole.

Yup - sounds good. I'd cook the beans from scratch, but a mixed can (rinsed)
would be fine. I also might not mash them, unless they were large - I like a
bit of texture.

>>Arrange some match sticked ginger over the peppers. Low fat it by
>>making the filling with a coarse bean puree instead of guacamole.

> Is that the pink pickled ginger?

Sure, why not? I'd use raw ginger, peeled and cut into very fine slivers,
but the pickled stuff would be excellent. Incidentally, do you know how to
peel ginger? - with a teaspoon : ) It's seriously the best implement.

>>For dessert, make a fruit crumble topped with some nuts and oats.

> Am I stupid or what? I haven't a clue how to make a fruit crumble.

This may well be a language issue - I know the US doesn't have a crumble,
they retained a biscuit topping that we've lost. A crumble is a lazy cook's
dream, because it's lovely and easy - my kids produced their first edible
result around age 3 : ) It's a (preferably crispy) topping for mixed fruit.
I have some fruit mixture waiting in the freezer - I was expecting family
round last weekend, and they had to reschedule at the last minute. I cut
some rhubarb up and microwaved it for about 3 minutes, until it was
softening. I added enough Splenda to make it taste good, then mixed in some
fresh cut-up strawberries and some dried blueberries that happened to be
around. Then it cooled and went in the freezer; it could go straight into
the pan I'll be serving it from next week.

Two recipes for you for a topping;

Low carb;
1 1/2 cups ground nuts -I tend to use almonds because I can buy them ready
ground.
1/3 cup whey protein powder, unflavoured or vanilla
4 tablespoons butter, melted
About 2 T Splenda, if liked

Mix to a crumb consistency (bung everything in a bowl and stir) and sprinkle
over fruit. Put into a preheated 350deg oven for about 12-15 minutes, until
nicely brown.

Low fat:
2 oz butter
3 1/2 oz plain flour
1 oz caster sugar
4oz mixture of chopped nuts/seeds - not too fine, good for texture
2 oz oat flakes or rolled oats

Mix to a crumb again. This time you cut the butter into little squares and
rub it through the rest - or melt it and stir like crazy; bake in 350 oven
for 40-45 mins. Note that for this length of cooking, you want your fruit to
be raw, and it doesn't work so well with delicate berries that need little
or no cooking. Excellent for apples, though. Somewhere around 40g CHO per
serving.

Note for both recipes the crumble will be crispier if there's little or no
juice - but hey, it tastes nice soggy too : )

Nicky.

--
A1c 10.5/5.4/<6 T2 DX 05/2004
1g Metformin, 100ug Thyroxine
95/73/72Kg

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Quentin Grady" > wrote in message

> G'day G'day Julie,
>
> Thanks. I like the approach.
>
> When I wrote my original request I didn't think to make it clear I was
> looking for EVERYDAY recipes, nothing special.

Oops! Just realized that I typed "pad" instead of "pan". But I'm sure you
figured that part out.

--
See my webpage:

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nicky > wrote:

: This may well be a language issue - I know the US doesn't have a
crumble, : they retained a biscuit topping that we've lost. A crumble is a
lazy cook's : dream, because it's lovely and easy - my kids produced their
first edible : result around age 3 : ) It's a (preferably crispy) topping
for mixed fruit.

We do too have crumbles and thinkgs similar called
betties. The stuff with the biscuit or pi crust top (no bottom crust) is
called a cobbler here. I make them using splenda to sweeten both the
fruit and the cruble toping, which I generally make with rolled oats and a
little fat

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

: > wrote:

: >I am surprised at you wanting dried oregano rather than
: >fresh. Speaking of herbs, I saw purple basil for the first
: >time today. The smell is magnificent. It had a minty smell
: >as well as other smells, the label said aniseed and cinnamon
: >aroma. Whatever, it was really a smell sensation.

: I used both; we had so much growing that I dried a lot.

: I "used" was deliberate past tense. Mum did us a favour when
: she visited and pulled out the funny weeds in the garden.
: She's actually quite a keen gardener - but had never seen
: oregano before and it had overgrown a bit. Time to buy some
: more seeds or seedlings:-)

Mine tok over one garden and I couldn't get rid of it until one year it
just dies off all at once with no help from me. I wish I coul dget soem
tame oregono that woudl stay put!!

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Quentin Grady wrote:
> G'day G'day Wendy,
>
> The soup sounded fine. Soup appeals to blokes. You
> sort of don't need to plan. Add ingredients in the right
> order and leave to cook. Soaking things over night
> requires more forethought than most blokes are likely to
> muster. Most go to the kitchen WHEN they are hungry.
>
> Best wishes,
> http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/quentin

My Texas Caviar recipe wouldn't be unreasonable in this catagory
It's very flexible on ingredients and requires only mixing and allowing it
to marinate.
Doesn't taste half bad either.

-= Exported from BigOven =-

Texas Caviar

good holiday snack, very easy to make. Looks good on the table

Recipe By: Pete Romfh
Serving Size: 24
Cuisine: TexMex
Main Ingredient: Beans
Categories: Diabetic, Vegetarian, Vegan, Kid Friendly, Superbowl, New Year,
No Cook, Advance, Simple - Easy, Snacks, Brunch, Appetizers

-= Ingredients =-
6 ounces Pinto beans ; (1/2 can)
12 ounces Blackeyed peas w/ jalapeno ; (1 can)
12 ounces White shoepeg corn ; (1 can)
4 ounces Pimento pepper ; (small jar)
1 cup Green pepper ; chopped
1 cup Celery ; chopped
1 small Onion ; finely chopped
1 teaspoon Salt
1/2 teaspoon Pepper
1 tbs Water
3/4 cup Cider vinegar
1/2 cup Vegetable oil
1 cup Splenda ; - or sugar if you wish

-= Instructions =-
Drain beans, peas, corn and pimento and mix together

In a saucepan, bring to boil salt, pepper, water, vinegar, oil and sugar.
Cool completely before pouring over bean mixture. Marinate at least 24
hours before serving. Drain and serve on a leaf of lettuce. Serve low carb
tortilla chips alongside. Store in saved marinade. Keeps in refrigerator for
2 months

Low Carb Tortilla Chips:
I take low-carb tortillas, cut them in wedges, spray them lightly with oil
and bake them until crisp. Sprinkle a bit of sea salt in them if you desire.

Each (3/4 cup) serving (excluding any chips) contains an estimated:
Cals: 107, FatCals: 44, Total Fat: 5g
SatFat: 1g, PolyFat: 3g, MonoFat: 1g
Chol: 0mg, Na: 174mg, K: 210mg
TotCarbs: 14g, Fiber: 3g, Sugars 3g
NetCarbs: 11g, Protein: 2g

** Recipe and photo at: http://www.bigoven.com/recipe160205 **
** Easy recipe software. Try it free at: http://www.bigoven.com **

--
Pete Romfh, Telecom Geek & Amateur Gourmet.
http://www.bigoven.com/~promfh

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> We do too have crumbles and thinkgs similar called
> betties. The stuff with the biscuit or pi crust top (no bottom crust) is
> called a cobbler here.

Ah, now we make a cobbler with scone mix. Scones to me are made with a soft
dough somewhere between a cake and bread, and may have raisins or cheese
inside. You roll them out and carefully cut them into rounds, and either
bake them straight or on top of fruit; they rise like mad.

Nicky.

--
A1c 10.5/5.4/<6 T2 DX 05/2004
1g Metformin, 100ug Thyroxine
95/73/72Kg

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nicky" > wrote in message
called a cobbler here.

> Ah, now we make a cobbler with scone mix. Scones to me are made with a

soft
> dough somewhere between a cake and bread, and may have raisins or cheese
> inside. You roll them out and carefully cut them into rounds, and either
> bake them straight or on top of fruit; they rise like mad.

We do scones here. They're much like a baking powder biscuit. Never seen
them with cheese but have seen them with raisins, blueberries, cranberries
and even pumpkin. In this area the big deal are these scones you can get
only at the fair. They have jelly inside. I couldn't see what the big deal
was. I tried one once. Not bad but certainly not spectacular and nothing
I'd want to wait in a long line for, like I did. I can only presume that
the people who think they are wonderful never made scones at home. I
learned to cook at an early age and often made scones and popovers for
breakfast.

--
See my webpage:

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nicky > wrote:

: "W. Baker" > wrote in message
: ...
: > We do too have crumbles and thinkgs similar called
: > betties. The stuff with the biscuit or pi crust top (no bottom crust) is
: > called a cobbler here.

: Ah, now we make a cobbler with scone mix. Scones to me are made with a soft
: dough somewhere between a cake and bread, and may have raisins or cheese
: inside. You roll them out and carefully cut them into rounds, and either
: bake them straight or on top of fruit; they rise like mad.

: Nicky.

: --
: A1c 10.5/5.4/<6 T2 DX 05/2004
: 1g Metformin, 100ug Thyroxine
: 95/73/72Kg

What ou cal scones ae similar to what we call biscuits or baking powder
biscuits, a fairly fat heavy dough, rolled an cut, uaually into rounds adn
baked to a flaky deliciousness adn served hot with butter for brekfast!
Han't had them fo rquite a while. What you call biscuits we call
cookies-sweet flat caky tigs liek chocolate chip cookies or pettit beurre.

It dos get complicated here, what!

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 16:02:39 +1300, Quentin Grady
> wrote:

>>No idea what you can do with the pumpkin, corn and potato. I guess you could
>>make a soup for a starter, but I wouldn't eat it because it'd be too carby
>>: )

>I'd rather avoid the pumpkin, corn and potato too.

Of course, our pumpkin is your winter squash, but it rarely
spikes me and makes a wonderful soup - that even blokes can
make (lunch today);

Take one very large pot or tureen. Cut up one pumpkin(winter
squash) after deseeding and peeling the skin off.

Place in the pot, cover with stock or water and a few stock
cubes an inch or so above the pumpkin and a grating of
nutmeg and a grating of pepper, and bring to the boil (I get
fancy and add a bit of basil and oregano:-).

Reduce to a low simmer and put the lid on the pot. Set the
timer to about 30 or 40 minutes (that's a quarter of
grid-iron or one half in Rugby or six overs in cricket),
come back and stir, add a little more water if it looks low,
then go and watch the next quarter/half/six overs.

Take off the heat. Let it cool a little while you watch the
after-match post-mortem, then use a stick-blender to turn it
into a thick yellow/orange mush. Adjust with boiling water
to the thickness you prefer when you serve it. Freeze what
you don't eat in single-serve containers to be zapped in the
microwave as a quick lunch.

A dollop of pure cream is a nice garnish when you serve it.

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
d&e, metformin 2x500mg
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

This post not CC'd by email
On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 14:47:21 +1100, Alan S
> wrote:

>On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 16:02:39 +1300, Quentin Grady
> wrote:
>
>>>No idea what you can do with the pumpkin, corn and potato. I guess you could
>>>make a soup for a starter, but I wouldn't eat it because it'd be too carby
>>>: )

>>I'd rather avoid the pumpkin, corn and potato too.

>Of course, our pumpkin is your winter squash, but it rarely
>spikes me and makes a wonderful soup - that even blokes can
>make (lunch today);
>
>Take one very large pot or tureen. Cut up one pumpkin(winter
>squash) after deseeding and peeling the skin off.
>
>Place in the pot, cover with stock or water and a few stock
>cubes an inch or so above the pumpkin and a grating of
>nutmeg and a grating of pepper, and bring to the boil (I get
>fancy and add a bit of basil and oregano:-).
>
>Reduce to a low simmer and put the lid on the pot. Set the
>timer to about 30 or 40 minutes (that's a quarter of
>grid-iron or one half in Rugby or six overs in cricket),
>come back and stir, add a little more water if it looks low,
>then go and watch the next quarter/half/six overs.

G'day G'day Alan,

It takes a bloke to speak bloke. <grin>

>Take off the heat. Let it cool a little while you watch the
>after-match post-mortem, then use a stick-blender to turn it
>into a thick yellow/orange mush. Adjust with boiling water
>to the thickness you prefer when you serve it. Freeze what
>you don't eat in single-serve containers to be zapped in the
>microwave as a quick lunch.
>
>A dollop of pure cream is a nice garnish when you serve it.
>
>Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
>d&e, metformin 2x500mg

Many thanks, best wishes,

--
Quentin Grady ^ ^ /
New Zealand, >#,#< [
"... and the blind dog was leading."

http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/quentin
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

This post not CC'd by email
On Mon, 6 Feb 2006 22:10:29 +0000 (UTC), "W. Baker"
> wrote:

>Mine tok over one garden and I couldn't get rid of it until one year it
>just dies off all at once with no help from me. I wish I coul dget soem
>tame oregono that woudl stay put!!
>
>Wendy

G'day G'day Wendy,

There are dwarf forms available here.

Best wishes,
--
Quentin Grady ^ ^ /
New Zealand, >#,#< [
"... and the blind dog was leading."

http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/quentin
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

This post not CC'd by email
On Mon, 6 Feb 2006 17:50:31 -0600, "Pete Romfh"
> wrote:

>Quentin Grady wrote:
>> G'day G'day Wendy,
>>
>> The soup sounded fine. Soup appeals to blokes. You
>> sort of don't need to plan. Add ingredients in the right
>> order and leave to cook. Soaking things over night
>> requires more forethought than most blokes are likely to
>> muster. Most go to the kitchen WHEN they are hungry.
>>
>> Best wishes,
>> http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/quentin

>My Texas Caviar recipe wouldn't be unreasonable in this catagory
>It's very flexible on ingredients and requires only mixing and allowing it
>to marinate.
>Doesn't taste half bad either.

G'day G'day Pete,

Sounds pretty good. White shoepeg corn doesn't translate to anything
I know here. Are we talking kernels ... baby corn cobs... corn puree?

I find it odd that one puts sugar or sugar substitutes in soup.
Perhaps we prefer more savoury food.

Best wishes,
Quentin.

> -= Exported from BigOven =-
>
> Texas Caviar
>
>good holiday snack, very easy to make. Looks good on the table
>
>Recipe By: Pete Romfh
>Serving Size: 24
>Cuisine: TexMex
>Main Ingredient: Beans
>Categories: Diabetic, Vegetarian, Vegan, Kid Friendly, Superbowl, New Year,
>No Cook, Advance, Simple - Easy, Snacks, Brunch, Appetizers
>
>-= Ingredients =-
>6 ounces Pinto beans ; (1/2 can)
>12 ounces Blackeyed peas w/ jalapeno ; (1 can)
>12 ounces White shoepeg corn ; (1 can)
>4 ounces Pimento pepper ; (small jar)
>1 cup Green pepper ; chopped
>1 cup Celery ; chopped
>1 small Onion ; finely chopped
>1 teaspoon Salt
>1/2 teaspoon Pepper
>1 tbs Water
>3/4 cup Cider vinegar
>1/2 cup Vegetable oil
>1 cup Splenda ; - or sugar if you wish
>
>-= Instructions =-
>Drain beans, peas, corn and pimento and mix together
>
>In a saucepan, bring to boil salt, pepper, water, vinegar, oil and sugar.
>Cool completely before pouring over bean mixture. Marinate at least 24
>hours before serving. Drain and serve on a leaf of lettuce. Serve low carb
>tortilla chips alongside. Store in saved marinade. Keeps in refrigerator for
>2 months
>
>Low Carb Tortilla Chips:
>I take low-carb tortillas, cut them in wedges, spray them lightly with oil
>and bake them until crisp. Sprinkle a bit of sea salt in them if you desire.
>
>Each (3/4 cup) serving (excluding any chips) contains an estimated:
>Cals: 107, FatCals: 44, Total Fat: 5g
>SatFat: 1g, PolyFat: 3g, MonoFat: 1g
>Chol: 0mg, Na: 174mg, K: 210mg
>TotCarbs: 14g, Fiber: 3g, Sugars 3g
>NetCarbs: 11g, Protein: 2g
>

>** Recipe and photo at: http://www.bigoven.com/recipe160205 **
>** Easy recipe software. Try it free at: http://www.bigoven.com **

--
Quentin Grady ^ ^ /
New Zealand, >#,#< [
/ \ /\
"... and the blind dog was leading."

http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/quentin
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

This post not CC'd by email
On Sat, 04 Feb 2006 13:13:48 -0500, Susan >
wrote:

>Mixed Berry Crumble
>
>Ingredients:
>
>2 lbs Berry mix, approx. (see note)
>1/4 Cup erythritol or xylitol to taste
>1/2 tsp. Ground cinnamon (or to taste)
>1 - 2 TBS fresh lemon juice
>1/3 Cup chopped nuts (pecans or walnuts)
>2TBS powdered xanthan gum
>Low carb granola or rolled oats mixed with chopped nuts for topping
>Butter or cooking spray (like Pam)
>
>Instructions:
>
>Preheat oven to 350 F.
>
>Mix desired combination of cleaned and hulled, halved or quartered
>strawberries with whole rinsed blackberries, raspberries, blueberries
>(any ratio works) in a round or square dish to about 1/2" to 1" from the
>top.
>
>Add small quantity of erythritol or xylitol to taste, beginning with
>about 1/4 cup.
>
>Add about 1/3 Cup chopped pecans or walnuts to mixture
>
>Add cinnamon, about 1/2 tsp to 1 tsp., to taste. (Should be subtle, not
>prominent in this dish).
>
>Add one or two TBS of fresh lemon juice, not so much that you taste it,
>just enough to brighten the other fruit flavors
>
>Mix in chopped nuts
>
>Sprinkle with xanthan gum and mix well
>
>Top with either store bought or homemade low carb granola or rolled
>oat/chopped nut combination. Dot with butter or spray with cooking spray.
>
>Bake until bubbly and a bit browned on top, 1/2 hour to an hour,
>depending upon dimensions of your dish.
>
>Serve warm, with or without vanilla ice cream or heavy cream.
>
>Note: A good mix, though any will work, is 1 quart strawberries, one
>pint blueberries, and a half pint each of raspberries and blackberries.

G'day G'day Susan,

Let's take a moment to look at the recipe. You mention erythritol and
xylitol. In my book I use words like zeaxanthin, lutein,
beta-cryptoxanthin and my guess is no one will turn a hair. They
don't have to find a shop that sells them or even knows what they
mean. They come free with fruit and vegetables ... if you pick the
right ones. The early chapters don't address T2 diabetes, just the
notion of getting some sanity into eating and nutrition. This is
quite deliberate. I don't intend to compete with the many existing
books on diet for diabetics.

I'm delighted with the response I've received ... even if I'm a bit
overwhelmed. Each chapter gets one or two recipes to illustrate a
concept. Hope I haven't hurt anyone's feelings. Today has been busy.
A lot of energy went into the two hour session on Success as a
Student.

Best wishes

--
Quentin Grady ^ ^ /
New Zealand, >#,#< [
"... and the blind dog was leading."

http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/quentin

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

This post not CC'd by email
On Sat, 4 Feb 2006 20:25:06 +0000 (UTC), "W. Baker"
> wrote:

>I typed up a whole recipe and then my isp crashed adn I lost it. Here is
>a quick and dirty version
>
>Quesntin Healhy Soup
>
>Soak overnight and par boil up to 2 cups of asorted beans and black eyed
>peas
>
>Soft saute 2-3 chopped onions and 2-4 cut up yellow and red bel peppers in
>a small amount of olive or canola oil.
>
>put into a pot with a minimum of 2 quarts of sstock, vegetable or meat, or
>water with a boullion cube. Then add
>
>1/2-1 lb cut up pumpklin or other winter squash-like butternut
>Salt adn freshly ground black pepper -to taste
>6 whole cloves
>1 finely chopped hot pepper (optional) or dried peperincino flakes to
>taste
>
>Bring to a boil and simmer until everything is soft. IF YOU WANT-puree
>the soup. You may want to add liquid if this is all too thick.
>
>add 1 tsp tumeric, fresly grated or dried ground ginger(to taste) 1 Tbs
>Oregono Add 3 cups washed broccoli rabe and/or spinach leaves(optional)
>and cook until leaves are wilted. Taste adn adjust seadsoning.
>
>Serve with mashed avocado mixed with 1 Tbs of lime juice if you like.

G'day G'day Wendy,

I like the recipe. It sounds very flexible. I'm going to have to
experiment more with avocado and lime as a topping. I can imagine
whipping that with a stick beater.

Best wishes, sorry about your isp crash. Thank you for retyping.

--
Quentin Grady ^ ^ /
New Zealand, >#,#< [
"... and the blind dog was leading."

http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/quentin
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

This post not CC'd by email
On Mon, 6 Feb 2006 09:06:15 -0000, "Nicky"
> [...]

>nicely brown.
>
>Low fat:
>2 oz butter
>3 1/2 oz plain flour
>1 oz caster sugar
>4oz mixture of chopped nuts/seeds - not too fine, good for texture
>2 oz oat flakes or rolled oats
>
>Mix to a crumb again. This time you cut the butter into little squares and
>rub it through the rest - or melt it and stir like crazy; bake in 350 oven
>for 40-45 mins. Note that for this length of cooking, you want your fruit to
>be raw, and it doesn't work so well with delicate berries that need little
>or no cooking. Excellent for apples, though. Somewhere around 40g CHO per
>serving.
>
>Note for both recipes the crumble will be crispier if there's little or no
>juice - but hey, it tastes nice soggy too : )

G'day G'day Nicky,

Thank you going into the details of the crumble topping. There is
something for all of us to learn here. I have never in my life made a
crumble topping. Frankly it is scary. My guess is women who have
made them a few thousand times will ROTFL because they know it is easy
and it is for THEM. It is like me with calculators. I drive one like a
hoon. Yet, most weeks I watch a bloke come into my office shaking.
He wouldn't like anyone to see him shaking. Yet he has had the courage
to confront his fears and I respect him for that. For the first time
he has come and dealt with being almost innumerate. Ask them what six
sevens are and they turn beetroot red. They don't know their times
tables. What I am saying is something can be so easy it is effortless
and so hard it takes an act of courage to confront ... all at the same
time.

Best wishes,

--
Quentin Grady ^ ^ /
New Zealand, >#,#< [
"... and the blind dog was leading."

http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/quentin
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Alan S wrote:

> Of course, our pumpkin is your winter squash, but it

rarely
> spikes me and makes a wonderful soup - that even blokes

can
> make (lunch today);

I'll be a little OT here. Pumpkin doesn't spike me, at least
in average serve sizes. I normally eat it with the skin on
(all types pumpkin). Sweet potato doesn't affect me either.
A few times a week I cook a whole small one, unpeeled, in
the micro, split it and add some of the pro activ
(cholesterol lowering) margarine and a sprinkle of cinnamon
sugar

Pumpkin soup can be very bloke-friendly.

Something incredibly easy but not necessarily low carb or
low fat is to slice butternut pumpkin in thin slices and
layer them in a casserole dish, pour some béchamel sauce
over, sprinkle with chili powder to taste, cracked pepper
and grated cheese and bake til soft. How easy is that?? Any
bachelor could do one of those with some bbq'ed meat and a
tossed salad and come up looking good! For my own tastes I
would be adding some sliced onions and crushed garlic - sort
like the potato bakes but with bechamel instead of cream.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Alan S wrote:

> A dollop of pure cream is a nice garnish when you serve

it.

I like sour cream and chopped chives. What's the nutritional
go on chives?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

This post not CC'd by email
On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 06:36:02 GMT, "Ozgirl"
> wrote:

>Alan S wrote:
>
>> Of course, our pumpkin is your winter squash, but it

>rarely
>> spikes me and makes a wonderful soup - that even blokes

>can
>> make (lunch today);

>I'll be a little OT here. Pumpkin doesn't spike me, at least
>in average serve sizes. I normally eat it with the skin on
>(all types pumpkin).

G'day G'day Ozgirl,

Pumpkin seems to have about one third the carbs of potato.

> Sweet potato doesn't affect me either.

Something interesting I found is that NZ kumara appears to have a
higher glycemic index than Australian sweet potato.

>A few times a week I cook a whole small one, unpeeled, in
>the micro, split it and add some of the pro activ
>(cholesterol lowering) margarine and a sprinkle of cinnamon
>sugar
>
>Pumpkin soup can be very bloke-friendly.
>
>Something incredibly easy but not necessarily low carb or
>low fat is to slice butternut pumpkin in thin slices and
>layer them in a casserole dish, pour some béchamel sauce
>over, sprinkle with chili powder to taste, cracked pepper
>and grated cheese and bake til soft.

LOL. You're winding me up? Bechamel sauce???
Bet bechamel sauce is easy to make.

>How easy is that?? Any
>bachelor could do one of those with some bbq'ed meat and a
>tossed salad and come up looking good! For my own tastes I
>would be adding some sliced onions and crushed garlic - sort
>like the potato bakes but with bechamel instead of cream.

Apart from the bechamel sauce it sounds pretty straight forward.

Thanks Ozgirl,

Best wishes,
--
Quentin Grady ^ ^ /