Raymond

Default Need A Couple Of Recommendations

Hi guys
Wonder if anyone knows of any off-dry NZ or Oz Riesling. 1.5~2% r.s would be
great. Extreme dryness and extreme alcohol seems to be the trend but I
prefer my wine to be light and tasty.

DaleW

Hmm, most of the Oz Rieslings (and the couple NZ ones I've tried) were
vinified dry. Germany's a better bet for off-dry.

Raymond,

You might try some of the better Riesling producers from the Clare
Valley in OZ. One of my personal favorites is Pike's. Neil Pike and his
family have been farming their land for >100 yrs. His Reislings retain
that sense of earth and complexity from a region that one would not
expect Riesling to thrive in. Quick note-- his Riesling's are a bit
higher in RS than 2% (I think they come in around 3%), but the wines
drink light and dry. They also have a finesse seldom seen outside of
Germany or Austria (which may be another option-- try Brundlmayer's
Riesling Steinmassel, too).

Cheers,
EQ

Raymond wrote:
> Hi guys
> Wonder if anyone knows of any off-dry NZ or Oz Riesling. 1.5~2% r.s would be
> great. Extreme dryness and extreme alcohol seems to be the trend but I
> prefer my wine to be light and tasty.

Raymond

Thanks for your reply guys.
I visited PIKES Clare Valley website and noticed that the Riesling has
3.5g/l r.s. If I am right, this is very dry because it works out to be 0.3%.
Perhaps the kiwi has some off-dry ones. I have been drinking those from
Mosel. With 1.5~2% or 15~20g/l, they're great for Asian food.
The only drawback is the price. A J.J Prum spatlese for instance, cost $85
compared to an OZ Jacob's Creek Riesling which is only $19. Of course the JC
is a little too dry for my palate but otherwise is good. Without the hint of
sweetness, Riesling in general tastes a tad too sour.
Ray

oups.com...