Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default I'm in the Mood To Invent

I have invented a new meatloaf recipe and it's in the oven right now.
I'm trying to avoid carbs as much as possible (DH has diabetes) I took
one pound of home-ground lean chuck and 3 Johnsonville sweet Italian
sausages for the meat. I added one egg, some granulated garlic, about 2
tablespoons of dried chopped onion, 1/3 of a small can of tomato sauce
(low salt)and about an 1/8 tsp of dried Italian seasoning. Formed it
into a loaf shape and put it in a glass baking dish just a little bigger
than the loaf (can't measure it now it's in the oven) I poured the other
2/3 of the can of sauce over the top and stuck it in a 350 oven for an hour.

A somewhat modified recipe for German-style braised red cabbage is also
cooking. Early samples are very encouraging!

While I was in the inventing mood, I made an adult beverage. I took 2
ounces of Healthy Balance Cranberry-Pomegranate juice, 2 ounces of
vodka, 1/2 ounce of orange juice, the juice of one Persian lime, 1/2
ounce of Amaretto, 1/2 ounce of creme de banana, 1/4 ounce of marascino
cherry juice and 3 cherries and poured it all over ice. OMG, it's so
good! If anyone wants to name it, I'm open for suggestions.

Janet, happily enjoying her happy hour <g>
--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Wilder said...

> I have invented a new meatloaf recipe and it's in the oven right now.
> I'm trying to avoid carbs as much as possible (DH has diabetes) I took
> one pound of home-ground lean chuck and 3 Johnsonville sweet Italian
> sausages for the meat. I added one egg, some granulated garlic, about 2
> tablespoons of dried chopped onion, 1/3 of a small can of tomato sauce
> (low salt)and about an 1/8 tsp of dried Italian seasoning. Formed it
> into a loaf shape and put it in a glass baking dish just a little bigger
> than the loaf (can't measure it now it's in the oven) I poured the other
> 2/3 of the can of sauce over the top and stuck it in a 350 oven for an
> hour.
>
> A somewhat modified recipe for German-style braised red cabbage is also
> cooking. Early samples are very encouraging!
>
> While I was in the inventing mood, I made an adult beverage. I took 2
> ounces of Healthy Balance Cranberry-Pomegranate juice, 2 ounces of
> vodka, 1/2 ounce of orange juice, the juice of one Persian lime, 1/2
> ounce of Amaretto, 1/2 ounce of creme de banana, 1/4 ounce of marascino
> cherry juice and 3 cherries and poured it all over ice. OMG, it's so
> good! If anyone wants to name it, I'm open for suggestions.
>
> Janet, happily enjoying her happy hour <g>

Call it "Sweetness".

Hope the meatloaf acts as a counter-balance.

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
>I have invented a new meatloaf recipe and it's in the oven right now. I'm
>trying to avoid carbs as much as possible (DH has diabetes) I took one
>pound of home-ground lean chuck and 3 Johnsonville sweet Italian sausages
>for the meat. I added one egg, some granulated garlic, about 2 tablespoons
>of dried chopped onion, 1/3 of a small can of tomato sauce (low salt)and
>about an 1/8 tsp of dried Italian seasoning. Formed it into a loaf shape
>and put it in a glass baking dish just a little bigger than the loaf (can't
>measure it now it's in the oven) I poured the other 2/3 of the can of sauce
>over the top and stuck it in a 350 oven for an hour.
>
> A somewhat modified recipe for German-style braised red cabbage is also
> cooking. Early samples are very encouraging!

Sounds quite interesting and inventive. I didn't get very creative. We are
having "if it grows eat it roast." One huge roast (it was on sale) browned
to a crispy brown coating, potatoes and mushrooms that were purchased, then
tomatoes, onions, herbs, peppers, garlic, hmmmm I can't remember what else
from the ever blessed garden, and into the baking dishes to roast for the
next couple of hours. There will be a bit of white corn and some piping hot
buttermilk biscuits to accompany the feast in a while and four family
members unable to move until bedtime. Ah sweet summer dinners.

Oh there is a bottle of Merlot from a local winery that needs drinking and
it's going to get consumed.It may not be the perfect pairing, but it will
do, I guarantee.

=-) Thank you for the less than carb hearty meatloas recipe. Sometimes my
diabetes needs a shot of heavy on the proteins.

Cindi

> While I was in the inventing mood, I made an adult beverage. I took 2
> ounces of Healthy Balance Cranberry-Pomegranate juice, 2 ounces of vodka,
> 1/2 ounce of orange juice, the juice of one Persian lime, 1/2 ounce of
> Amaretto, 1/2 ounce of creme de banana, 1/4 ounce of marascino cherry
> juice and 3 cherries and poured it all over ice. OMG, it's so good! If
> anyone wants to name it, I'm open for suggestions.
>
> Janet, happily enjoying her happy hour <g>
> --
> Janet Wilder
> Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
> Good Friends. Good Life

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
>I have invented a new meatloaf recipe and it's in the oven right now. I'm
>trying to avoid carbs as much as possible (DH has diabetes) I took one
>pound of home-ground lean chuck and 3 Johnsonville sweet Italian sausages
>for the meat. I added one egg, some granulated garlic, about 2 tablespoons
>of dried chopped onion, 1/3 of a small can of tomato sauce (low salt)and
>about an 1/8 tsp of dried Italian seasoning. Formed it into a loaf shape
>and put it in a glass baking dish just a little bigger than the loaf (can't
>measure it now it's in the oven) I poured the other 2/3 of the can of sauce
>over the top and stuck it in a 350 oven for an hour.
>
> A somewhat modified recipe for German-style braised red cabbage is also
> cooking. Early samples are very encouraging!
>
> While I was in the inventing mood, I made an adult beverage. I took 2
> ounces of Healthy Balance Cranberry-Pomegranate juice, 2 ounces of vodka,
> 1/2 ounce of orange juice, the juice of one Persian lime, 1/2 ounce of
> Amaretto, 1/2 ounce of creme de banana, 1/4 ounce of marascino cherry
> juice and 3 cherries and poured it all over ice. OMG, it's so good! If
> anyone wants to name it, I'm open for suggestions.

The Fruit Stand? Summer Orchard Slurppee?

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Paul M. Cook wrote:

>> While I was in the inventing mood, I made an adult beverage. I took 2
>> ounces of Healthy Balance Cranberry-Pomegranate juice, 2 ounces of vodka,
>> 1/2 ounce of orange juice, the juice of one Persian lime, 1/2 ounce of
>> Amaretto, 1/2 ounce of creme de banana, 1/4 ounce of marascino cherry
>> juice and 3 cherries and poured it all over ice. OMG, it's so good! If
>> anyone wants to name it, I'm open for suggestions.
>>

> The Fruit Stand? Summer Orchard Slurppee?

Thanks, but I'm searching for something a little jazzier. Pomma Momma
comes to mind. How does that sound?

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Good Friends. Good Life

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:

> Hope the meatloaf acts as a counter-balance.

The meatloaf was awesome. Not at all dry, thanks to the sausage and
probably the egg and tomato sauce. The red cabbage was stellar. I'm
going to put my modifications into the recipe and post it here.
--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Good Friends. Good Life
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> Paul M. Cook wrote:
>
>>> While I was in the inventing mood, I made an adult beverage. I took 2
>>> ounces of Healthy Balance Cranberry-Pomegranate juice, 2 ounces of
>>> vodka, 1/2 ounce of orange juice, the juice of one Persian lime, 1/2
>>> ounce of Amaretto, 1/2 ounce of creme de banana, 1/4 ounce of marascino
>>> cherry juice and 3 cherries and poured it all over ice. OMG, it's so
>>> good! If anyone wants to name it, I'm open for suggestions.
>>>

>> The Fruit Stand? Summer Orchard Slurppee?
>>

> Thanks, but I'm searching for something a little jazzier. Pomma Momma
> comes to mind. How does that sound?

I like it. Cherry Jubilee comes to mind. I'll get drunk tonight and maybe
something creative will come to me.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 02 Aug 2008 17:34:00 -0500, Janet Wilder
> wrote:

>I have invented a new meatloaf recipe and it's in the oven right now.
>I'm trying to avoid carbs as much as possible (DH has diabetes) I took
>one pound of home-ground lean chuck and 3 Johnsonville sweet Italian
>sausages for the meat. I added one egg, some granulated garlic, about 2
>tablespoons of dried chopped onion, 1/3 of a small can of tomato sauce
>(low salt)and about an 1/8 tsp of dried Italian seasoning. Formed it
>into a loaf shape and put it in a glass baking dish just a little bigger
>than the loaf (can't measure it now it's in the oven) I poured the other
>2/3 of the can of sauce over the top and stuck it in a 350 oven for an hour.

Janet, I think you're on the right track. I've never understood how
people can stand all those cruddy fillers (bread, oatmeal etc). I
HATE meatloaf with that stuff in it. Give me meat!

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Sat, 02 Aug 2008 17:34:00 -0500, Janet Wilder
> > wrote:
>

>>I have invented a new meatloaf recipe and it's in the oven right now.
>>I'm trying to avoid carbs as much as possible (DH has diabetes) I took
>>one pound of home-ground lean chuck and 3 Johnsonville sweet Italian
>>sausages for the meat. I added one egg, some granulated garlic, about 2
>>tablespoons of dried chopped onion, 1/3 of a small can of tomato sauce
>>(low salt)and about an 1/8 tsp of dried Italian seasoning. Formed it
>>into a loaf shape and put it in a glass baking dish just a little bigger
>>than the loaf (can't measure it now it's in the oven) I poured the other
>>2/3 of the can of sauce over the top and stuck it in a 350 oven for an hour.

> Janet, I think you're on the right track. I've never understood how
> people can stand all those cruddy fillers (bread, oatmeal etc). I
> HATE meatloaf with that stuff in it. Give me meat!

Well when you start eating a very good version of it at a very early age?
--
JL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> Janet, I think you're on the right track. I've never understood how
> people can stand all those cruddy fillers (bread, oatmeal etc). I
> HATE meatloaf with that stuff in it. Give me meat!

DH loved it. It's a keeper.

FTR, I always used a little wheat germ as the filler. My mom used it and
I liked it best. Now I don't need filler.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Good Friends. Good Life

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> sf wrote:
>
>> Janet, I think you're on the right track. I've never understood how
>> people can stand all those cruddy fillers (bread, oatmeal etc). I
>> HATE meatloaf with that stuff in it. Give me meat!

Meatloaf without some kind of binder is just a giant hamburger.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun 03 Aug 2008 10:03:56a, Gloria P told us...

>> sf wrote:
>>
>>> Janet, I think you're on the right track. I've never understood how
>>> people can stand all those cruddy fillers (bread, oatmeal etc). I
>>> HATE meatloaf with that stuff in it. Give me meat!

> Meatloaf without some kind of binder is just a giant hamburger.
>
> gloria p

I prefer using crushed saltine crackers.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Saturday, 08(VIII)/02(II)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 2, 6:34�pm, Janet Wilder > wrote:

> While I was in the inventing mood, I made an adult beverage. I took 2
> ounces of Healthy Balance Cranberry-Pomegranate juice, 2 ounces of
> vodka, 1/2 ounce of orange juice, the juice of one Persian lime, 1/2
> ounce of Amaretto, 1/2 ounce of creme de banana, 1/4 ounce of marascino
> cherry juice and 3 cherries and poured it all over ice. OMG, it's so
> good! If anyone wants to name it, I'm open for suggestions.

"Hide The Banana"

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Aug 3, 10:03*am, Gloria P > wrote:
> > sf wrote:

> >> Janet, I think you're on the right track. *I've never understood how
> >> people can stand all those cruddy fillers (bread, oatmeal etc). *I
> >> HATE meatloaf with that stuff in it. *Give me meat!

> Meatloaf without some kind of binder is just a giant hamburger.

Nothing wrong with that. In fact, 2 or 3 parts ground round + 1 part
sausage + salt and pepper is all you need for really good hamburger
patties. If you happen to have Penzey's Chicago seasoning mix,
though, that's even better (salt, pepper, lemon peel, liquid
smoke). -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 2, 6:34*pm, Janet Wilder > wrote:
> I have invented a new meatloaf recipe and it's in the oven right now.
> I'm trying to avoid carbs as much as possible (DH has diabetes) I took
> one pound of home-ground lean chuck and 3 Johnsonville sweet Italian
> sausages for the meat. I added one egg, some granulated garlic, about 2
> tablespoons of dried chopped onion, 1/3 of a small can of tomato sauce
> (low salt)and about an 1/8 tsp of dried Italian seasoning. *Formed it
> into a loaf shape and put it in a glass baking dish just a little bigger
> than the loaf (can't measure it now it's in the oven) I poured the other
> 2/3 of the can of sauce over the top and stuck it in a 350 oven for an hour.

Seems awfully dry, more like a well baked burger... one egg ain't
nearly enough, I always use three per pound of meat... coulda at least
used a real onion, and a grated carrot, a diced bell pepper, a heap o'
minced fresh parsley. It's not so simple to make a proper meat loaf
without any starch. I'd name your meat loaf "Adobe" or NASSAU brick.
Next time try emulsifing your starchless recipe and make it as a
terrine... versions reach as far as your imagination.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...TERRINE-233242

pté [pah-TAY, pa-TAY]
French for "pie," this word — with accent over the "e" — is generally
used to refer to various elegant, well-seasoned ground-meat
preparations. A pté can be satiny-smooth and spreadable or, like
country pté, coarsely textured. It can be made from a finely ground
or chunky mixture of meats (such as pork, veal, liver or ham), fish,
poultry, game, vegetables, etc. Seasonings and fat are usually also
included in the mixture, which can be combined before or after
cooking. Ptés may be cooked in a crust, in which case they're
referred to as pté en croûte. They may also be cooked in a pork fat-
lined container called a terrine (or any other similarly sized mold),
in which case they're called pté en terrine. Traditional parlance
says that when such a mixture is cooked and served in a terrine, the
dish is also called a terrine, and when unmolded it becomes a pté.
Today, however, the two terms are often used interchangeably. Ptés
may be hot or cold and are usually served as a first course or
appetizer.

© Copyright Barron's Educational Services, Inc. 1995 based on THE FOOD
LOVER'S COMPANION, 2nd edition, by Sharon Tyler Herbst.
---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 3, 1:31�pm, Nina > wrote:
> On Sun, 03 Aug 2008 11:03:56 -0600, Gloria P >
> wrote:

> >Meatloaf without some kind of binder is just a giant hamburger.

> Not unless you put a lot of unusual things in your hamburger.

And naturally you are incapable of offering any examples... if giving
criticism at least make it constructive, otherwise it's just mean
spirited gibberish.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:
> On Aug 3, 1:31�pm, Nina > wrote:

>>>Meatloaf without some kind of binder is just a giant hamburger.

>>Not unless you put a lot of unusual things in your hamburger.

> And naturally you are incapable of offering any examples... if giving
> criticism at least make it constructive, otherwise it's just mean
> spirited gibberish.

*chuckle* oh the irony!
--
JL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:
> On Aug 2, 6:34�pm, Janet Wilder > wrote:
>> While I was in the inventing mood, I made an adult beverage. I took 2
>> ounces of Healthy Balance Cranberry-Pomegranate juice, 2 ounces of
>> vodka, 1/2 ounce of orange juice, the juice of one Persian lime, 1/2
>> ounce of Amaretto, 1/2 ounce of creme de banana, 1/4 ounce of marascino
>> cherry juice and 3 cherries and poured it all over ice. OMG, it's so
>> good! If anyone wants to name it, I'm open for suggestions.

> "Hide The Banana"

LOL!

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Good Friends. Good Life
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:
> On Aug 2, 6:34 pm, Janet Wilder > wrote:
>> I have invented a new meatloaf recipe and it's in the oven right now.
>> I'm trying to avoid carbs as much as possible (DH has diabetes) I took
>> one pound of home-ground lean chuck and 3 Johnsonville sweet Italian
>> sausages for the meat. I added one egg, some granulated garlic, about 2
>> tablespoons of dried chopped onion, 1/3 of a small can of tomato sauce
>> (low salt)and about an 1/8 tsp of dried Italian seasoning. Formed it
>> into a loaf shape and put it in a glass baking dish just a little bigger
>> than the loaf (can't measure it now it's in the oven) I poured the other
>> 2/3 of the can of sauce over the top and stuck it in a 350 oven for an hour.

> Seems awfully dry, more like a well baked burger... one egg ain't
> nearly enough, I always use three per pound of meat... coulda at least
> used a real onion, and a grated carrot, a diced bell pepper, a heap o'
> minced fresh parsley. It's not so simple to make a proper meat loaf
> without any starch.

It was not dry at all. The tomato sauce and the sausage fat kept it very
moist. I used the dry onion because using fresh onion in meatloaf gives
me heartburn. Doesn't happen in other dishes, just meatloaf.

I was not looking to make a veggie burger out of it.