Diabetic (alt.food.diabetic) This group is for the discussion of controlled-portion eating plans for the dietary management of diabetes.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 01-12-2005, 03:36 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic
Night Spirit
 
Posts: n/a
Default Bombay Chicken

I'm a little supicious on the carbs they seem a little low to me.

Bombay Chicken
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Servings: 5 - Difficulty Level: 2

Ingredients

* 1 teaspoon reduced-calorie margarine
* 1 teaspoon chicken-flavored bouillon, granules
* 1/4 cup chopped almonds
* 2 teaspoons curry powder, divided
* 1 cup boiling water
* 1 cup diced, unpeeled apple
* 1/2 cup skim milk
* 1/2 cup chopped onion
* 1 tablespoon lemon juice
* 1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
* 1 cup chopped, cooked chicken
* 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour

Directions

1. Melt margarine in a large skillet over medium heat; add almonds.
2. Cook 10 minutes or until almonds are golden brown; stirring
frequently.
3. Sprinkle almonds with 1 teaspoon curry powder, toss lightly to
coat, and cook for another minute or two.
4. Remove almonds to a plate lined with paper towels; let drain.
5. Add apple, onion, and mushrooms to skillet and saute 5 minutes.
6. Stir in remaining 1 teaspoon curry powder and flour.
7. Cook over low heat 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
8. Dissolve bouillon granules in boiling water and add to skillet with
milk and lemon juice.
9. Cook over low heat 5 minutes or until smooth and thickened,
stirring constantly.
10. Add chicken and continue to cook over low heat, stirring
constantly, until thoroughly heated.

Nutritional Info

Calories: 116
Protein: 8 g
Sodium: 38 mg
Fat: 6 g
Carbohydrates: 9 g

Exchanges: 1 Medium-Fat Meat

Source: The Diabetic Newsletter


--

Happy Holidays,
Dale aka Nightspirit



  #2 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 01-12-2005, 10:27 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic
Alan S
 
Posts: n/a
Default Bombay Chicken

On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 15:36:13 GMT, "Night Spirit"
wrote:

I'm a little supicious on the carbs they seem a little low to me.

Bombay Chicken
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Servings: 5 - Difficulty Level: 2

Ingredients

* 1 teaspoon reduced-calorie margarine
* 1 teaspoon chicken-flavored bouillon, granules
* 1/4 cup chopped almonds
* 2 teaspoons curry powder, divided
* 1 cup boiling water
* 1 cup diced, unpeeled apple
* 1/2 cup skim milk
* 1/2 cup chopped onion
* 1 tablespoon lemon juice
* 1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
* 1 cup chopped, cooked chicken
* 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour

Directions

1. Melt margarine in a large skillet over medium heat; add almonds.
2. Cook 10 minutes or until almonds are golden brown; stirring
frequently.
3. Sprinkle almonds with 1 teaspoon curry powder, toss lightly to
coat, and cook for another minute or two.
4. Remove almonds to a plate lined with paper towels; let drain.
5. Add apple, onion, and mushrooms to skillet and saute 5 minutes.
6. Stir in remaining 1 teaspoon curry powder and flour.
7. Cook over low heat 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
8. Dissolve bouillon granules in boiling water and add to skillet with
milk and lemon juice.
9. Cook over low heat 5 minutes or until smooth and thickened,
stirring constantly.
10. Add chicken and continue to cook over low heat, stirring
constantly, until thoroughly heated.

Nutritional Info

Calories: 116
Protein: 8 g
Sodium: 38 mg
Fat: 6 g
Carbohydrates: 9 g

Exchanges: 1 Medium-Fat Meat

Source: The Diabetic Newsletter


Hi NS

You said "I'm a little suspicious on the carbs they seem a
little low to me."

I ran it through DWIDB and came up with numbers not too far
off those for five serves:

Calories 133.6
Protein 11.4
Total Fat 5.2
Sat. Fat 0.78
Mono. Fat 2.9
Poly. Fat 1.2
Carbohydrate 11
Fiber 2.34

However, the serve size looks quite unrealistic, with one
cup of chicken meat and 1 1/2 cups of other solid
ingredients being spread across five serves. I'd suspect
that, without rice, this would be a modest meal for two,
which would give, per serve:

Calories 334
Protein 28.5
Total Fat 13
Sat. Fat 1.95
Mono. Fat 7.25
Poly. Fat 3
Carbohydrate 27.5
Fiber 5.85

I could probably handle that for dinner. I think I'd swap
the skim milk for coconut cream, which would increase the
fat and decrease the carbs a little.

Of course, if you made it a meal for five by adding lots of
rice and naan bread the carb count would be swamped by that.

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
--
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
  #3 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 01-12-2005, 10:28 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic
Vicki Beausoleil
 
Posts: n/a
Default Bombay Chicken

Night Spirit wrote:

I'm a little supicious on the carbs they seem a little low to me.

Bombay Chicken
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Servings: 5 - Difficulty Level: 2

Ingredients

* 1 teaspoon reduced-calorie margarine
* 1 teaspoon chicken-flavored bouillon, granules
* 1/4 cup chopped almonds
* 2 teaspoons curry powder, divided
* 1 cup boiling water
* 1 cup diced, unpeeled apple
* 1/2 cup skim milk
* 1/2 cup chopped onion
* 1 tablespoon lemon juice
* 1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
* 1 cup chopped, cooked chicken
* 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour

Directions

1. Melt margarine in a large skillet over medium heat; add almonds.
2. Cook 10 minutes or until almonds are golden brown; stirring
frequently.
3. Sprinkle almonds with 1 teaspoon curry powder, toss lightly to
coat, and cook for another minute or two.
4. Remove almonds to a plate lined with paper towels; let drain.
5. Add apple, onion, and mushrooms to skillet and saute 5 minutes.
6. Stir in remaining 1 teaspoon curry powder and flour.
7. Cook over low heat 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
8. Dissolve bouillon granules in boiling water and add to skillet with
milk and lemon juice.
9. Cook over low heat 5 minutes or until smooth and thickened,
stirring constantly.
10. Add chicken and continue to cook over low heat, stirring
constantly, until thoroughly heated.

Nutritional Info

Calories: 116
Protein: 8 g
Sodium: 38 mg
Fat: 6 g
Carbohydrates: 9 g

Exchanges: 1 Medium-Fat Meat

Source: The Diabetic Newsletter

--

Happy Holidays,
Dale aka Nightspirit


MasterCook puts it up as 7.8g carbohydrate, 1.4g fiber 11.1g protein

Serve it up on finely chopped cauli, instead of rice...

Vicki
  #4 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 01-12-2005, 10:47 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic
Pete Romfh
 
Posts: n/a
Default Bombay Chicken

Vicki Beausoleil wrote:
Night Spirit wrote:

I'm a little supicious on the carbs they seem a little
low to me.

Bombay Chicken
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Servings: 5 - Difficulty Level: 2

Ingredients

* 1 teaspoon reduced-calorie margarine
* 1 teaspoon chicken-flavored bouillon, granules
* 1/4 cup chopped almonds
* 2 teaspoons curry powder, divided
* 1 cup boiling water
* 1 cup diced, unpeeled apple
* 1/2 cup skim milk
* 1/2 cup chopped onion
* 1 tablespoon lemon juice
* 1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
* 1 cup chopped, cooked chicken
* 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour

Directions

1. Melt margarine in a large skillet over medium heat;
add almonds. 2. Cook 10 minutes or until almonds are
golden brown; stirring frequently.
3. Sprinkle almonds with 1 teaspoon curry powder, toss
lightly to coat, and cook for another minute or two.
4. Remove almonds to a plate lined with paper towels;
let drain. 5. Add apple, onion, and mushrooms to skillet
and saute 5 minutes. 6. Stir in remaining 1 teaspoon
curry powder and flour. 7. Cook over low heat 2 minutes,
stirring frequently. 8. Dissolve bouillon granules in
boiling water and add to skillet with milk and lemon
juice. 9. Cook over low heat 5 minutes or until smooth
and thickened, stirring constantly.
10. Add chicken and continue to cook over low heat,
stirring constantly, until thoroughly heated.

Nutritional Info

Calories: 116
Protein: 8 g
Sodium: 38 mg
Fat: 6 g
Carbohydrates: 9 g

Exchanges: 1 Medium-Fat Meat

Source: The Diabetic Newsletter

--

Happy Holidays,
Dale aka Nightspirit


MasterCook puts it up as 7.8g carbohydrate, 1.4g fiber
11.1g protein

Serve it up on finely chopped cauli, instead of rice...

Vicki


That's a cool idea! I've been stewing about what to replace rice with.
I've been fairly successful with cauli-Faux-tatoes. I'll try running the
cooked cauliflower through a potato ricer.
As it dries a bit, the texture should be fairly close.

--
Pete Romfh, Telecom Geek & Amateur Gourmet.
http://www.bigoven.com/~promfh
promfh (at) hal-pc (dot) org


  #5 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 02-12-2005, 06:40 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic
Ozgirl
 
Posts: n/a
Default Bombay Chicken



Pete Romfh wrote:
Vicki Beausoleil wrote:
Night Spirit wrote:

I'm a little supicious on the carbs they seem a little
low to me.

Bombay Chicken
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Servings: 5 - Difficulty Level: 2

Ingredients

* 1 teaspoon reduced-calorie margarine
* 1 teaspoon chicken-flavored bouillon, granules
* 1/4 cup chopped almonds
* 2 teaspoons curry powder, divided
* 1 cup boiling water
* 1 cup diced, unpeeled apple
* 1/2 cup skim milk
* 1/2 cup chopped onion
* 1 tablespoon lemon juice
* 1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
* 1 cup chopped, cooked chicken
* 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour

Directions

1. Melt margarine in a large skillet over medium heat;
add almonds. 2. Cook 10 minutes or until almonds are
golden brown; stirring frequently.
3. Sprinkle almonds with 1 teaspoon curry powder, toss
lightly to coat, and cook for another minute or two.
4. Remove almonds to a plate lined with paper towels;
let drain. 5. Add apple, onion, and mushrooms to skillet
and saute 5 minutes. 6. Stir in remaining 1 teaspoon
curry powder and flour. 7. Cook over low heat 2 minutes,
stirring frequently. 8. Dissolve bouillon granules in
boiling water and add to skillet with milk and lemon
juice. 9. Cook over low heat 5 minutes or until smooth
and thickened, stirring constantly.
10. Add chicken and continue to cook over low heat,
stirring constantly, until thoroughly heated.

Nutritional Info

Calories: 116
Protein: 8 g
Sodium: 38 mg
Fat: 6 g
Carbohydrates: 9 g

Exchanges: 1 Medium-Fat Meat

Source: The Diabetic Newsletter

--

Happy Holidays,
Dale aka Nightspirit


MasterCook puts it up as 7.8g carbohydrate, 1.4g fiber
11.1g protein

Serve it up on finely chopped cauli, instead of rice...

Vicki


That's a cool idea! I've been stewing about what to

replace rice
with. I've been fairly successful with cauli-Faux-tatoes.

I'll try
running the cooked cauliflower through a potato ricer.
As it dries a bit, the texture should be fairly close.


I am different to some in that I don't look for rice
substitutes. Rather I think of what vegetables I would
really like to have with that. My choice would be sliced
carrots, zuchini, cauliflower (not mashed up, small chunks
instead), green beans. Make a bed of the veggies then put
the curry over the top. Then of course the obligatory side
salad in a bowl



  #6 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 02-12-2005, 06:57 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic
Pete Romfh
 
Posts: n/a
Default Bombay Chicken

Ozgirl wrote:
Pete Romfh wrote:


That's a cool idea! I've been stewing about what to

replace rice
with. I've been fairly successful with cauli-Faux-tatoes.

I'll try
running the cooked cauliflower through a potato ricer.
As it dries a bit, the texture should be fairly close.


I am different to some in that I don't look for rice
substitutes. Rather I think of what vegetables I would
really like to have with that. My choice would be sliced
carrots, zuchini, cauliflower (not mashed up, small chunks
instead), green beans. Make a bed of the veggies then put
the curry over the top. Then of course the obligatory side
salad in a bowl


I'm only recently converting my diet. I was raised on rice and taters.
Indian and Asian dishes sort of "call out" for rice to me.


--
Pete Romfh, Telecom Geek & Amateur Gourmet.
http://www.bigoven.com/~promfh
promfh (at) hal-pc (dot) org


  #7 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 02-12-2005, 07:42 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic
Alan S
 
Posts: n/a
Default Bombay Chicken

On Fri, 2 Dec 2005 00:57:40 -0600, "Pete Romfh"
wrote:

Ozgirl wrote:
Pete Romfh wrote:


That's a cool idea! I've been stewing about what to

replace rice
with. I've been fairly successful with cauli-Faux-tatoes.

I'll try
running the cooked cauliflower through a potato ricer.
As it dries a bit, the texture should be fairly close.


I am different to some in that I don't look for rice
substitutes. Rather I think of what vegetables I would
really like to have with that. My choice would be sliced
carrots, zuchini, cauliflower (not mashed up, small chunks
instead), green beans. Make a bed of the veggies then put
the curry over the top. Then of course the obligatory side
salad in a bowl


I'm only recently converting my diet. I was raised on rice and taters.
Indian and Asian dishes sort of "call out" for rice to me.




I was initially like that - but it's really just a habit.
And, like all habits, it can be broken. Supposedly, it takes
thirty days. With me it was shorter.

Rice and taters, to me, are now in the same food bin as
sugar and molasses.

The only problem I've discovered is with take-away Asian
food vendors. It's quite common here for lunch specials from
Chinese, Vietnamese, Indian, Pakistani or Nepalese vendors
to have a set price for a take-away lunch dish. But if you
ask for it "without rice" they will often charge extra -
because rice is cheap bulk in the container. I don't really
mind that provided they don't up the price too much - but
some will refuse to serve it without rice and suddenly
pretend not to understand English (they are probably sixth
generation:-)

With sub-continent food, I've found a small piece of Naan
bread seems to have less effect on me than the equivalent
quantity of rice. YMMV

I'm not a great one for "substitutes". I eat cauli as cauli,
not as faux rice or faux spuds.

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
--
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
  #8 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 02-12-2005, 08:44 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic
Nicky
 
Posts: n/a
Default Bombay Chicken


"Pete Romfh" wrote in message
...
That's a cool idea! I've been stewing about what to replace rice with.
I've been fairly successful with cauli-Faux-tatoes. I'll try running the
cooked cauliflower through a potato ricer.
As it dries a bit, the texture should be fairly close.


Grating it then sautéing until golden is closest in texture - but it's too
pfaffy, I don't bother any more. If I'm doing a wet curry, I'll probably do
a cauli or celeriac mash for me; a dry curry goes better with a lentil and
spinach dhal and maybe some raita. A papadom is only 5g CHO if I want
crunch, and a pickled veg of some kind helps the bgs too.

Nicky.

--
A1c 10.5/5.6/6 T2 DX 05/2004
1g Metformin, 100ug Thyroxine
95/73/72Kg


  #9 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 02-12-2005, 12:15 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic
Pete Romfh
 
Posts: n/a
Default Bombay Chicken

Nicky wrote:
"Pete Romfh" wrote in
message ...
That's a cool idea! I've been stewing about what to
replace rice with. I've been fairly successful with
cauli-Faux-tatoes. I'll try running the cooked
cauliflower through a potato ricer. As it dries a bit,
the texture should be fairly close.


Grating it then sautéing until golden is closest in
texture - but it's too pfaffy, I don't bother any more.
If I'm doing a wet curry, I'll probably do a cauli or
celeriac mash for me; a dry curry goes better with a
lentil and spinach dhal and maybe some raita. A papadom
is only 5g CHO if I want crunch, and a pickled veg of
some kind helps the bgs too.

Nicky.


I hadn't looked at dahls and/or paneers yet. Aren't lentil's high carb ?

--
Pete Romfh, Telecom Geek & Amateur Gourmet.
http://www.bigoven.com/~promfh
promfh (at) hal-pc (dot) org


  #10 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 02-12-2005, 08:14 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic
Nicky
 
Posts: n/a
Default Bombay Chicken


"Pete Romfh" wrote in message
...
I hadn't looked at dahls and/or paneers yet. Aren't lentil's high carb ?


Yes, fairly high - but very slow. I can eat a half-cup serving of dahl
(green or Puy lentils, not the soggy orange kind) plus a half-cup of
whatever curry I've made without a flicker on my meter at suppertime. It's
less certain if I eat the leftovers at lunchtime - sometimes I have to do a
quick bit of exercise to beat down a spike.

Nicky.

--
A1c 10.5/5.6/6 T2 DX 05/2004
1g Metformin, 100ug Thyroxine
95/73/72Kg




  #11 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 03-12-2005, 11:33 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic
Ozgirl
 
Posts: n/a
Default Bombay Chicken



Pete Romfh wrote:
Nicky wrote:
"Pete Romfh" wrote in
message ...
That's a cool idea! I've been stewing about what to
replace rice with. I've been fairly successful with
cauli-Faux-tatoes. I'll try running the cooked
cauliflower through a potato ricer. As it dries a bit,
the texture should be fairly close.


Grating it then sautéing until golden is closest in
texture - but it's too pfaffy, I don't bother any more.
If I'm doing a wet curry, I'll probably do a cauli or
celeriac mash for me; a dry curry goes better with a
lentil and spinach dhal and maybe some raita. A papadom
is only 5g CHO if I want crunch, and a pickled veg of
some kind helps the bgs too.

Nicky.


I hadn't looked at dahls and/or paneers yet. Aren't

lentil's high
carb ?


I use lentils in soup (as a sub for dried peas). Barley is
fairly well tolerated by some diabetics as well.

  #12 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 05-12-2005, 04:31 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic
Julie Bove
 
Posts: n/a
Default Bombay Chicken




"Alan S" wrote in message
...

The only problem I've discovered is with take-away Asian
food vendors. It's quite common here for lunch specials from
Chinese, Vietnamese, Indian, Pakistani or Nepalese vendors
to have a set price for a take-away lunch dish. But if you
ask for it "without rice" they will often charge extra -
because rice is cheap bulk in the container. I don't really
mind that provided they don't up the price too much - but
some will refuse to serve it without rice and suddenly
pretend not to understand English (they are probably sixth
generation:-)


I don't usually get this type of food, but I have occasionally gotten it for
my husband during his low carb phases. The Teriyaki place here serves a
container of rice, a container of salad (a few pieces of iceberg with a
shred or two of carrot) and then the main dish. They will give me two
salads in place of the rice.

When I was living in NY, many of the Chinese places delivered. You could
choose from an assortment of meals, but most of the foods were also
available by the piece, by the pint or by the quart. When I ordered for the
whole family, I'd usually get one meal, and then pints or quarts of the
other things.

With sub-continent food, I've found a small piece of Naan
bread seems to have less effect on me than the equivalent
quantity of rice. YMMV

I'm not a great one for "substitutes". I eat cauli as cauli,
not as faux rice or faux spuds.


This might not work for everyone, but a good way of fixing lower carb
potatoes, is to cut them in small cubes and mix with large dices of red
onion. I use a mix of about 1/2 and 1/2, but when serving mine up, I take
more onion and potato. I mix it all with olive oil, salt, and pepper,
Italian seasoning and sweet paprika. I used to also add parmesan cheese
prior to learning of Angela's dairy allergy. I then bake at 425 for about
an hour, or until the potatoes are crisp, turning them at about the halfway
mark. Be sure to use a pan big enough so you can spread them in a single
layer so they'll get crisp.

Other options are making soup and including a bit of diced potato, or a
cottage/Shepard's pie type thing with a very thin layer of potatoes on top.

--
See my webpage:
http://mysite.verizon.net/juliebove/index.htm


  #13 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 05-12-2005, 10:47 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic
Pete Romfh
 
Posts: n/a
Default Bombay Chicken

Julie Bove wrote:

This might not work for everyone, but a good way of
fixing lower carb potatoes, is to cut them in small cubes
and mix with large dices of red onion. I use a mix of
about 1/2 and 1/2, but when serving mine up, I take more
onion and potato. I mix it all with olive oil, salt, and
pepper, Italian seasoning and sweet paprika. I used to
also add parmesan cheese prior to learning of Angela's
dairy allergy. I then bake at 425 for about an hour, or
until the potatoes are crisp, turning them at about the
halfway mark. Be sure to use a pan big enough so you can
spread them in a single layer so they'll get crisp.

Other options are making soup and including a bit of
diced potato, or a cottage/Shepard's pie type thing with
a very thin layer of potatoes on top.


That's certainly worth a try. I'll make some later this week.

--
Pete Romfh, Telecom Geek & Amateur Gourmet.
http://www.bigoven.com/~promfh
promfh (at) hal-pc (dot) org




Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
bombay sunset cocktail thisisme General 0 02-01-2011 05:00 AM
Bombay Sapphire gin zxcvbob General Cooking 79 10-07-2007 03:46 AM
Bombay Shrimp Preston Pittman Recipes (moderated) 0 28-10-2005 07:14 PM
Bombay Chicken Pinwheels lottery75115 Recipes (moderated) 0 28-07-2005 05:34 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:45 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2004-2019 FoodBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Food and drink"

 

Copyright © 2017