Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Alan S

Default Bombay Chicken

On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 15:36:13 GMT, "Night Spirit"
> wrote:

>I'm a little supicious on the carbs they seem a little low to me.
>
>Bombay Chicken
>Prep Time: 15 Minutes
>Servings: 5 - Difficulty Level: 2
>
>Ingredients
>
>* 1 teaspoon reduced-calorie margarine
>* 1 teaspoon chicken-flavored bouillon, granules
>* 1/4 cup chopped almonds
>* 2 teaspoons curry powder, divided
>* 1 cup boiling water
>* 1 cup diced, unpeeled apple
>* 1/2 cup skim milk
>* 1/2 cup chopped onion
>* 1 tablespoon lemon juice
>* 1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
>* 1 cup chopped, cooked chicken
>* 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
>
>Directions
>
>1. Melt margarine in a large skillet over medium heat; add almonds.
>2. Cook 10 minutes or until almonds are golden brown; stirring
>frequently.
>3. Sprinkle almonds with 1 teaspoon curry powder, toss lightly to
>coat, and cook for another minute or two.
>4. Remove almonds to a plate lined with paper towels; let drain.
>5. Add apple, onion, and mushrooms to skillet and saute 5 minutes.
>6. Stir in remaining 1 teaspoon curry powder and flour.
>7. Cook over low heat 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
>8. Dissolve bouillon granules in boiling water and add to skillet with
>milk and lemon juice.
>9. Cook over low heat 5 minutes or until smooth and thickened,
>stirring constantly.
>10. Add chicken and continue to cook over low heat, stirring
>constantly, until thoroughly heated.
>
>Nutritional Info
>
>Calories: 116
>Protein: 8 g
>Sodium: 38 mg
>Fat: 6 g
>Carbohydrates: 9 g
>
>Exchanges: 1 Medium-Fat Meat
>
>Source: The Diabetic Newsletter

Hi NS

You said "I'm a little suspicious on the carbs they seem a
little low to me."

I ran it through DWIDB and came up with numbers not too far
off those for five serves:

Calories 133.6
Protein 11.4
Total Fat 5.2
Sat. Fat 0.78
Mono. Fat 2.9
Poly. Fat 1.2
Carbohydrate 11
Fiber 2.34

However, the serve size looks quite unrealistic, with one
cup of chicken meat and 1 1/2 cups of other solid
ingredients being spread across five serves. I'd suspect
that, without rice, this would be a modest meal for two,
which would give, per serve:

Calories 334
Protein 28.5
Total Fat 13
Sat. Fat 1.95
Mono. Fat 7.25
Poly. Fat 3
Carbohydrate 27.5
Fiber 5.85

I could probably handle that for dinner. I think I'd swap
the skim milk for coconut cream, which would increase the
fat and decrease the carbs a little.

Of course, if you made it a meal for five by adding lots of
rice and naan bread the carb count would be swamped by that.

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.