Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Ozgirl

Default Bombay Chicken

Pete Romfh wrote:
> Vicki Beausoleil wrote:
>> Night Spirit wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm a little supicious on the carbs they seem a little
>>> low to me.
>>>
>>> Bombay Chicken
>>> Prep Time: 15 Minutes
>>> Servings: 5 - Difficulty Level: 2
>>>
>>> Ingredients
>>>
>>> * 1 teaspoon reduced-calorie margarine
>>> * 1 teaspoon chicken-flavored bouillon, granules
>>> * 1/4 cup chopped almonds
>>> * 2 teaspoons curry powder, divided
>>> * 1 cup boiling water
>>> * 1 cup diced, unpeeled apple
>>> * 1/2 cup skim milk
>>> * 1/2 cup chopped onion
>>> * 1 tablespoon lemon juice
>>> * 1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
>>> * 1 cup chopped, cooked chicken
>>> * 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
>>>
>>> Directions
>>>
>>> 1. Melt margarine in a large skillet over medium heat;
>>> add almonds. 2. Cook 10 minutes or until almonds are
>>> golden brown; stirring frequently.
>>> 3. Sprinkle almonds with 1 teaspoon curry powder, toss
>>> lightly to coat, and cook for another minute or two.
>>> 4. Remove almonds to a plate lined with paper towels;
>>> let drain. 5. Add apple, onion, and mushrooms to skillet
>>> and saute 5 minutes. 6. Stir in remaining 1 teaspoon
>>> curry powder and flour. 7. Cook over low heat 2 minutes,
>>> stirring frequently. 8. Dissolve bouillon granules in
>>> boiling water and add to skillet with milk and lemon
>>> juice. 9. Cook over low heat 5 minutes or until smooth
>>> and thickened, stirring constantly.
>>> 10. Add chicken and continue to cook over low heat,
>>> stirring constantly, until thoroughly heated.
>>>
>>> Nutritional Info
>>>
>>> Calories: 116
>>> Protein: 8 g
>>> Sodium: 38 mg
>>> Fat: 6 g
>>> Carbohydrates: 9 g
>>>
>>> Exchanges: 1 Medium-Fat Meat
>>>
>>> Source: The Diabetic Newsletter
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> Happy Holidays,
>>> Dale aka Nightspirit

>> MasterCook puts it up as 7.8g carbohydrate, 1.4g fiber
>> 11.1g protein
>>
>> Serve it up on finely chopped cauli, instead of rice...
>>
>> Vicki

> That's a cool idea! I've been stewing about what to

replace rice
> with. I've been fairly successful with cauli-Faux-tatoes.

I'll try
> running the cooked cauliflower through a potato ricer.
> As it dries a bit, the texture should be fairly close.

I am different to some in that I don't look for rice
substitutes. Rather I think of what vegetables I would
really like to have with that. My choice would be sliced
carrots, zuchini, cauliflower (not mashed up, small chunks
instead), green beans. Make a bed of the veggies then put
the curry over the top. Then of course the obligatory side
salad in a bowl