Old 05-01-2012, 07:31 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default For one who shall remain nameless.....

On 1/4/2012 8:16 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
Is Robert saying that perhaps I
don't actually have it? That my Dr. was wrong? Or is he somehow laughing
at me because I am one of the few who does have it? I don't get it. I
really don't. If that was the post that was supposed to be helpful to*me*.
It wasn't. Nothing wrong with the post but I just don't get the *helpful to
me* factor.

Julie, this summarises your problem

you think people are being MEAN to you when they are trying to HELP you

I responded to assist you and got attacked.......... from what you wrote
prior you indicated NO ONE tried to help you

i have NEVER seen Robert post maliciously, not EVER

kate

Old 05-01-2012, 07:43 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 1/4/2012 7:55 PM, Evelyn wrote:
For your information, a rotisserie chicken is a FRESH chicken, cooked
in the store, THAT DAY as opposed to being cooked in my house.

On the other hand, canned broth may have been made a year ago. We
have no way of knowing how old it is, not to mention the very fact of
it being canned isn't really good for you. Cans are lined with
plastic containing carcinogens.

In spite of that, I occasionally will use canned broth when I am in a
hurry too. Fresh is always better than prepared foods. A FRESH
chicken (no matter where it is cooked) is not the same thing as
something in a can or a box meant to last for months on end.

Evelyn

grin, i do believe we have a conceptual problem here, most likely not
fixable

Evelyn, i use the broth in the 'boxes' for lack of better word, only
because those contain less salt............ is there plastic to worry
about there too? (i make most chicken broth, this is for those 'oops'
situations)

i think i'm going to have some highly process Hawkin's Cheesies right
now, i have 15 min more that i'm allowed to eat

or maybe ...........

kate
Old 05-01-2012, 07:48 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger Lily" wrote in message
On 1/4/2012 8:16 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
Is Robert saying that perhaps I
don't actually have it? That my Dr. was wrong? Or is he somehow
laughing
at me because I am one of the few who does have it? I don't get it. I
really don't. If that was the post that was supposed to be helpful
to*me*.
It wasn't. Nothing wrong with the post but I just don't get the *helpful
me* factor.

Julie, this summarises your problem

you think people are being MEAN to you when they are trying to HELP you

I responded to assist you and got attacked.......... from what you wrote
prior you indicated NO ONE tried to help you

i have NEVER seen Robert post maliciously, not EVER

I didn't say that he posted maliciously. The problem as I saw it was that I
honestly could not see a post that would have been helpful to me. I really
could not. Telling that someone is on a liquid diet who has been newly
diagnosed doesn't help me. I am not newly diagnosed and I know what the
gastroparesis diet is. I also know from being on the gastroparesis support
group (I'm not there any more because they all seem to be far worse off than
I am) is that what we can eat varies widely from person to person. For
instance, I can eat a lot of things that others can not.

The reason I said that no one tried to help me was that I asked specifically
what post it was that was supposed to be helpful. And instead of telling me
that it was Wendy's post, or Jan's response, I just got vague things like,
"Well it's there!" Those were not the specific words used, I'm sure but
something to that effect.

I did try to find the post and I got very frustrated by being told that it
(the mystery post) was there and then being chewed out because I wasn't
being thankful about it. How can I be thankful if I don't know what it is?
Yes, people have since told me. It could have been Wendy's post. It could
have been Jan's reply. Neither of which were helpful to me. But he must
have thought one or the other were.

The weird thing to me though was why he would even ping me here! I look as
ASD daily. I don't look at MHD daily because there are so few posts there.
I do go there frequently if there is a current discussion going on where I
feel I might be able to add something. But that isn't very often. So why
he would think he needed to ping me about it seems strange to me.

Old 05-01-2012, 03:23 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Thu, 5 Jan 2012 14:19:32 +1000, "Ozgirl"
wrote:

"Evelyn" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 4 Jan 2012 19:32:03 -0800, "Julie Bove"
wrote:

"Evelyn" wrote in message
On Wed, 4 Jan 2012 19:23:14 -0800, "Julie Bove"
wrote:

"Evelyn" wrote in message
om...
On Wed, 4 Jan 2012 19:03:08 -0800, "Julie Bove"
wrote:

"Evelyn" wrote in message
news:[email protected] .com...
On Wed, 4 Jan 2012 18:41:28 -0800, "Julie Bove"
wrote:

"Cheri" wrote in message
"Ozgirl" wrote in message

"Cheri" wrote in message
"Evelyn" wrote in message
"All unhappiness is due to the ego; with it comes all your
trouble.
What does it avail you to attribute to the happenings in
life the
cause of misery which is really within you? What happiness
can
you
get
from things extraneous to yourself ? When you get it, how
long
will
it
last ?" -- Ramana Maharshi

Self-pity is our worst enemy and if we yield to it, we can
never
do
anything wise in this world.
~Helen Keller

This is all getting beyond a joke, you all need to take a
good look
at
yourselves, this kind of behaviour towards a fellow human
being is
shameful. I wouldn't treat a dog in this manner.

No you wouldn't treat a dog that way, but you and Julie treat
Susan
that
way every chance you get, and I never see a word from you
about the
FOAD
that Julie is throwing around all the time. Preacher, take a
good
look
at
yourself before taking others to task.

AFAIK, Ozgirl has never said anything unkind to me. However
there are
quite
a few dogpilers in here who are doing it now. Including those
who say
they
don't. One makes bad comments about my canned chicken or canned
broth
and
then complains that *I* say something is disgusting? Complains
about
*my*
buying prepared foods and then posts on how to reuse rotisserie
chicken?
don't get it. I really don't.

And still the question remains. Which post was it that was
supposed
have
been of interest to me? I have asked this repeatedly now and
that is
how
this all started. And yet nobody can take the time to answer.

For your information, a rotisserie chicken is a FRESH chicken,
cooked
in the store, THAT DAY as opposed to being cooked in my house.

On the other hand, canned broth may have been made a year ago.
We
have no way of knowing how old it is, not to mention the very
fact of
it being canned isn't really good for you. Cans are lined with
plastic containing carcinogens.

I buy organic boxed broth most of the time. As for cans, I have
no
problems
with eating canned food and I think neither do most people who
live in
this
country/

In spite of that, I occasionally will use canned broth when I am
in a
hurry too. Fresh is always better than prepared foods. A
FRESH
chicken (no matter where it is cooked) is not the same thing as
something in a can or a box meant to last for months on end.

Fresh is not always better, IMO. Obviously it is in yours. I do
watch
Food
Network and other cooking shows. Those chefs on there are
advocates of
canned and boxed broths.

I was just pointing out how on the one hand you get upset with me
for
not
liking something. But you feel it is okay for you to not like
something.
And it's not just you. Susan says Tom doesn't eat salmon. No,
she
didn't
say why. But if *I* were to say that I didn't eat salmon, someone
would
sure pipe right up and call me out on it.

That's the way life is......

Notice that my recipe which had one very small potato for a whole
pot
of soup, and a quarter of a cup of rice, got jumped on too.

So what?

Anyone who doesn't like those items can just leave them out.

And yet they jumped on me for saying they were vocal low carbers.
The
very
same person. Yep. Kinda funny! And not in a ha ha kind of way.

Carbs, low carb, high carb, limited carb, these same issues come up
again and again on these groups. I listen to my dietician. She's
professional, and I feel better and do well with her advice.

Uh oh. I can sense the attacks coming now!

I can ignore an attack or I can respond to it. Mostly I just ignore
it. I don't expect or demand that everyone agree with me. Especially
those who have their own point of view and are strongly attached to
it. Disagreeing with me is not necessarily an attack either. I try
not to see it as such.

Disagreeing is a fine thing, people can argue the merits of both sides
in an amiable way but sometimes when people disagree they insert
insidious little digs amongst the amiable words which changes the tone
and I tend to pick up on those not so subtle subtleties.

We all do that. It may help to consider that they are TRYING to
soften their terminology in order NOT to hurt you. Then you can meet
them half way by ignoring it! Subtle digs can be interpreted as an
attempt to differ without being overtly nasty. Just a little mental
trick!

Evelyn
Old 05-01-2012, 03:24 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 05 Jan 2012 04:49:10 GMT, Nick Cramer
wrote:

Evelyn wrote:
[ . . . . ]
Carbs, low carb, high carb, limited carb, these same issues come up
again and again on these groups. I listen to my dietician. She's a
professional, and I feel better and do well with her advice.

I listen to my glucometer. I check its accuracy by comparing my reading
with my doctors, every three months. That's when I get my A1c checked, too.

ABSOLUTELY!

I come to these groups for friendship and support, not medical advice,
and if I get some medical advice, I appreciate the effort, but follow
my doctor and dietician and use my meter.... foremost!

Evelyn

Old 05-01-2012, 03:53 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Wed, 04 Jan 2012 23:43:02 -0700, Tiger Lily wrote:

[...]

The liners in boxes and in cans is turning out to be a bigger problem
than anyone is overtly admitting. EVERYTHING comes in plastic of
some kind these days.

Even bottled water....

Evelyn
Old 05-01-2012, 04:15 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" wrote in message
[...]

But not all plastic is a problem.

Old 05-01-2012, 06:51 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Thu, 5 Jan 2012 07:15:16 -0800, "Julie Bove"
wrote:

"Evelyn" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

A LOT of it is. More, I would guess, than we realize.

Evelyn
Old 05-01-2012, 08:03 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Susan" wrote in message

The only hope we have is his new obsession with cheddar cheese. May be
able to stick a pill into a small cube. The vet has never seen a cat so
hard to handle or exam.

Susan

That works well with my small dog. I put in inside a small cube of cheese
and she swallows it right down.

Cheri

Old 05-01-2012, 10:35 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Susan" wrote in message

We'll be seeing her pretty regularly; the new boarder, Freddy, has extra
toe claws that grow into his toe pads if not kept trimmed often... she's
going to do it cheaply if I'm flexible and they're in the neighborhood...
so she can set eyeballs on Jasper ever month or two on those visits, too.

Susan

That sounds great Susan.

Cheri

Old 06-01-2012, 12:05 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article ,
Evelyn wrote:

It is quite scary. I have been noticing a lot of formerly canned
foods are now available in glass jars in the supermarket. Also lots
of glass storage containers, with just plastic lids. I guess the
word is getting out!

Evelyn

I wish they'd hurry up and have more tomatoes in jars. I use a lot of
diced or whole or crushed tomatoes in my cooking, and they're all in
cans! Sauces are in jars, but I like to make my own sauces. I saw a
list of seven foods the experts won't eat, and one of them was canned
tomatoes. I cannot afford to buy fresh tomatoes all year and use them
in cooking. *sigh*

PP
- Chris Malcolm
Old 06-01-2012, 12:32 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

x-o-archive: yes

On 1/5/2012 6:05 PM, Peppermint Patootie wrote:

I wish they'd hurry up and have more tomatoes in jars. I use a lot of
diced or whole or crushed tomatoes in my cooking, and they're all in
cans! Sauces are in jars, but I like to make my own sauces. I saw a
list of seven foods the experts won't eat, and one of them was canned
tomatoes. I cannot afford to buy fresh tomatoes all year and use them
in cooking. *sigh*

I know, right?

I just went looking and found some interesting stuff on the Eden Foods
web site: http://www.edenfoods.com/faqs/view.php?categories_id=6

"Why amber glass for food?
The driving force at Eden for amber glass tomatoes was the avoidance of
bisphenol-A (BPA) in high acid food cans, and failure of the can
manufacturers to make BPA free cans for tomatoes.

Light damages color and flavor by causing chemical change.
Photo-oxidation (light damage) is systemic in food stores where
fluorescent lighting in particular, reduces food quality. Amber glass is
difficult to get and more costly, but it best protects food. Eden offers
the only tomatoes in the U.S.A. packed in amber glass, protecting flavor
and nutrients from light damage; EDEN Organic Spaghetti Sauces, Pizza
Pasta Sauce, Crushed Tomatoes, Crushed Tomatoes with Sweet Basil, and
Crushed Tomatoes with Roasted Onion & Garlic."

Susan

Old 06-01-2012, 01:14 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Thu, 05 Jan 2012 18:05:51 -0500, Peppermint Patootie

Evelyn wrote:

It is quite scary. I have been noticing a lot of formerly canned
foods are now available in glass jars in the supermarket. Also lots
of glass storage containers, with just plastic lids. I guess the
word is getting out!

Evelyn

I wish they'd hurry up and have more tomatoes in jars. I use a lot of
diced or whole or crushed tomatoes in my cooking, and they're all in
cans! Sauces are in jars, but I like to make my own sauces. I saw a
list of seven foods the experts won't eat, and one of them was canned
tomatoes. I cannot afford to buy fresh tomatoes all year and use them
in cooking. *sigh*

PP

They actually started putting that plastic lining into tomato cans
first, because the acidity of the tomatoes would sometimes corrode the
can. You seldom see that anymore now that the plastic lining is
there. But I expect that jarred tomatoes will be along shortly......
or else they will find some other sort of liner that won't carry
carcinogens.

Evelyn
Old 06-01-2012, 01:16 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Thu, 05 Jan 2012 18:32:13 -0500, Susan wrote:

[...]

Susan you are a gem, researching that. Thank you for finding it!

The BPA is also in certain water bottles. They pulled a lot of baby
bottles that had it in them.

Evelyn :-)
Old 06-01-2012, 07:12 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 1/4/2012 9:59 PM, Ozgirl wrote:
On another note. My daughter's MIL that I spoke about has been told they
will be taking about 1/3 of her bowel out for the cancer op on the 10th.

hope she has a complete and speedy recovery

(dang, ya, i'll get the colonscopy done, sigh)

kate