Old 20-12-2011, 10:59 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Do you have a Christmas Menu?

one of the things i am looking forward to in getting back into the house is
getting a decent food supply again, because of our work, i work hard all
spring and summper tobuild up the stock so on those months when we don't
make a lot we aren't hungry because we spent excess, i am going to have to
work hard to control this because we haven't a freezer, or frig for that
matter yet, Lee
"Ozgirl" wrote in message

"Storrmmee" wrote in message
so many people are struggling and somebody at food banks finally figured
out that people could keep their pets and feed them if they took
donations, without that people either surrender their animals or use food
they could be eating to give to the animals, which helps nobody's
nutrition... don't get me wrong, if your animals will ea t leftovers and
they are otherwise healthy it doesn't hurt a single thing to supplement
say a dog or cat with mashed potatoes and gravy if they will eat it, but
that should only be a supplement, Lee

I remember a time when not only cigarettes and alcohol were on the list of
things you couldn't buy with food stamps but also animal food. An animal
can be a real source of comfort for people who are poor and or/lonely.

As you say, if necessary you can feed an animal leftovers for the short
term. Not ideal but better than having to surrender them. I found that it
was a good thing to always buy a bit of canned food every week to keep
away for lean times, ditto for the family too of course, lol. Amazing what
you can live on out of a pantry for a fairly extended time.

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

"Storrmmee" wrote in message
that is very good for angela, to let her know that giving can still be
done even if you are using coupons to get free things to donate, you
still do the work to use the coupon and get it to the food bank, Lee

Yes. We get a lot of coupons we can't use and also store coupons on
occasion for free things we can't eat. And apparently there is a huge
need for cat food this year. We saw a cat food donation bin today. I
tried to find one last year and couldn't. Nice to know that the regular
food bank will take it. I stocked up on food the other day and screwed
up as to the kind I bought. They will only eat tuna and only certain
kinds. I bought the wrong kind and they wouldn't touch it. So it went
off to the food bank along with the BG kind. I really thought they
would like that!

Old 20-12-2011, 10:59 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

i am so not mechanical i am impressed i can type at all, Lee
"Ozgirl" wrote in message

"Storrmmee" wrote in message
type OOO i meant inadept, or unadept, lol, Lee

I liked your first go at it

"Storrmmee" wrote in message
whew!!! i am so mechanically adept it boggles most people, good you got
it done, Lee
"Julie Bove" wrote in message

"Storrmmee" wrote in message
i lived, lol, Lee

Well... I am surprised that I survived this day!

Some time ago we went into a new pet store in Edmonds and they had
these really nice cat scratching posts made of driftwood. Angela
wanted to get one for Ballerina and Jazzy but I didn't have the money
then. I kept putting it off. We were going to get one last week while
at my parent's house. They live in Edmonds but at the other end of the
city from this place. But then Angela was invited to a Bunco party
that night so we didn't have time to go there. I said we would go
there today. But then...

I decided to assemble the towel holder that I ordered some time ago. I
do not have a proper linen closet. The person that designed this house
during the remodel was nuts. I have these two weird cupboards in my
room that aren't very useful for much of anything. I just use the
lower one for greeting cards (I always keep a supply onhand for those
times when I need one quickly) and presents for upcoming occasions.
It's not big enough to hold all of the Christmas presents this year. I
didn't really get large gifts but they won't all fit. It does hold the
surprise ball. So picture if you will something a little larger than a
basketball. That's how stupidly small the one cupboard is.

The cupboard above it will hold some linens but it isn't nearly big
enough for all our sheets, towels and extra blankets. Currently I only
have washcloths and hand towels in there. That's all that will fit!
The bath towels have been residing in a laundry basket and I am sick of
that. So I ordered a towel holder online. I waited and waited, only to
have my order cancelled. I then searched high and low for another one.
Seems they are not a common item. I found a nice, super expensive one
but couldn't afford it. Eventually found another one that was only a
little more than I had intended to pay for the first one.

The problem? They didn't give me any screws or nuts in the package.
The thing is made in China and I can't even remember now who I ordered
it from. I didn't want to wait the weeks it would take to find these
people and try to get screws and nuts from them. So that meant a trip
to the hardware store as well. Would have been fine but...

The only hardware store that was in Edmonds is no longer. According to
what I read online, their floor couldn't hold the weight and they were
evacuating after selling their stock at a 20% discount.

So that meant coming back out here. Either to Lowes in Mill Creek or
Ace in Everett. I opted for Ace because it is a much smaller store
with perhaps not better but quicker customer service and free popcorn!

Took us twice as long as normal to get to the pet store because of
traffic. But we did get to pet a nice huge tabby. Found the exact
scratching post I wanted. I had a dream about it the other night.
Angela liked it too. Paid for it. Picked it up and then knocked
myself in the head with it. Saw some stars. Angela said she would
take it. She fared well until she got to the door where she whacked it
on the door frame. But it survived.

Started to drive back out this way. Traffic was just creeping! Start
and stop. Mainly stop. Our tummies began to rumble and my foot began
to cramp. I just kept thinking of the free popcorn. And the bathroom.
They have one in there.

Well by the time we got there they had cleaned the popcorn machine out
for the day. I should have demanded some because there is a sign
boasting of its freeness. They did have free coffee and water.

Used the bathroom then meandered around the screw aisle in a dither.
Angela actually found what were the correct screws but I couldn't
figure it out. Got a guy to help me. Turns out I would have needed him
anyway because he had to bag and label the items for me. Wasn't able
to use my $10 off coupon because I couldn't find anything else that we
needed. Had to spend $50 to get the discount. But I did get my
military discount. Angela was mad because she wanted food. I said I
would buy her something if they had it, but not candy. They had a
little bit of food that wasn't candy but she was either allergic or not
interested. They did have a can of asparagus soup that was self
heating. Also tomato soup. They were $3.00. I didn't look to see if
she was allergic but she immediately turned up her nose so I didn't.
But I was rather interested to see how they heated up.

On to the grocery store for a few quick things then home for a quick
dinner. Then to assemble the towel holder.

This thing is made of metal and has decorative leaves in it. I can't
tell you how many times I klonked myself on the foot or the head with
this thing. Or how many times the leaves scraped my fingers. I tried
to assemble it in my computer chair. Then I realized there was no way
I could do that. It needed to be flat on the floor. Or so I thought.
There were three posts that went up the back. I would put them in.
Ballerina would take them out. Then Jazzy became interested and she too
wanted to "help" me. I finally had to call for Angela. I disliked
having to do this because she isn't the most willing participant when
it comes to helping assemble things. But I realized it was humanly
impossible to have assembled this thing alone. Perhaps an octopus could
have done it. But they don't have fingers to grip the screwdriver.

But it's finally done and in the bathroom. Now I just have to finish
the laundry so I can put the towels in. It had gotten to where I was
washing towels pretty much on an as needed basis because I didn't want
to deal with them!

Old 20-12-2011, 11:00 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

"Storrmmee" wrote in message
what a great attitude, when i was a kid there were a few years where
parents didn't have a lot of money, so daddy would present us with a
list of things to choose from and we all got one family gift, the
only one i remember is the year we choose the pool table... pricey if
purchased, but my dad went to a pool supply house and bought felt,
slate cups, and accessories, and built the actual table, i was little
enough i let older brother talk me into it not having a clue what it
was... its now living in the basement at my moms and is over fourty
years old and in great condition because he has replaced the felt and
rubbers a few times. Lee

I didn't realize it when I was a kid but most of what Santa gave us
were necessary items. Pajamas, maybe a robe, always socks and
underwear. Once in a while I would get a new dress and my brother
would usually get pants and a shirt. Toothbrushes in our stockings.

Same, we got a lot of clothes (none that I liked, lol but clothes just
the same) books (I liked the "annuals" and stuff like Famous Five etc)
and bits and pieces of stationery, cheap games a couple of small toys
all in the Santa bag. There was a stocking that had chips, lollies and
some cheap little thing or two and one "big" present. My favourite was a
3 wheeler bike with a bell and a tray at the back

When Angela was little she always expected Santa to put things in all
of our stockings. For mine I would either buy things that I knew I
would be needing or I would find extras of things around the house and
just put them in there. She never knew. She just thought Santa did a
good job of giving me what I needed!

Clever Santa

Old 20-12-2011, 11:03 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" wrote in message
you have obiosly raised your children correctly owing to the fact they
are willing to wait and are supporting you with jasmine... btw i think
of you every time one of the cleaning staff comes to do our room...
they are variying levels of adulthood and comptence, and several will
have permanent job coaches, but they are all almost with some level of
mental/intellectual handicap Lee

Correct or not its something they just have to accept, luckily they
accepted graciously. Despite their ages (17, 20 and 22) they still like
their Santa bags with a few toy-like presents inside

"Ozgirl" wrote in message
When my kids were young the stress was enormous. How can Santa let
down a little kid? I always laybyed stuff earlier in the year.
Layby's are generally only about 6 weeks but for toys they can be 6-8
months which is a huge help. 5 of my kids are adults and one is about
to turn 17, so that leaves Jasmine who will be intellectually young
forever. She is going on 16 but today I went out and bought her toys
The others are happy enough to wait for a Xmas a few months down
the track.

"Storrmmee" wrote in message
what a great attitude, when i was a kid there were a few years where
parents didn't have a lot of money, so daddy would present us with a
list of things to choose from and we all got one family gift, the
only one i remember is the year we choose the pool table... pricey
if purchased, but my dad went to a pool supply house and bought
felt, slate cups, and accessories, and built the actual table, i was
little enough i let older brother talk me into it not having a clue
what it was... its now living in the basement at my moms and is over
fourty years old and in great condition because he has replaced the
felt and rubbers a few times. Lee
"Ozgirl" wrote in message

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

"Ozgirl" wrote in message
No plans. We are postponing Christmas for a few months so we can
have something decent rather than half-arsed. I believe some
young friends and their toddler are coming over Christmas Eve for
a BBQ but they are just bringing a bit of meat and whatevers for
themselves and my boys can get what they want. My ex did say his
girlfriend will bring a ham and some cooked chickens over
Christmas Day so probably throw a salad together if they stay,
which they probably will. We had dessert lined up last year and
no one ate any as we were too full and the ex and his GF moved on
to her daughter's house after eating here. I might just get some
fruit and we can cut it up if necessary.

My mom seems to have an idea that holidays are causing my dad to
have brain bleeds. So we have to minimize what we do. I think it
is more a matter of her not wanting to do much. But I could be
wrong.

Either way, its the family get together that's more important than
the type of food or how much time is spent on making it special.
Xmas can be traumatic for a variety of reasons. We are absolutely
stone broke this Xmas but I am not depressed about it, as I know
that we will get to do Xmas, just not on Xmas Day . All family
members have stated they are not fussed about presents or a big
Xmas spread etc. My one exception is to fill a Santa bag and
stocking for Jasmine.

Old 20-12-2011, 11:08 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" wrote in message
my DH was adopted as a baby, and a couple of times their family got a
boy from the orpanage near them for a holiday, but when they started
the kids were older, it didn't work out well, but dh was proud as he
was remembering his father for trying, Lee

This little girl was about 8 or 9 when she started going to my aunt's
house. I don't know how it all came about in the first place. The first
time she came was for Christmas and we all went there for the big family
tea after having lunch with our individual families or in laws. This kid
had a shocking haircut and terrible clothes but that was the last I ever
saw that. Because she came for holidays (3 times a year) my aunt would
get her hair done plus supply the clothes for her. I know older kids
sometimes have problems and don't always fit in well with a host family.

"Ozgirl" wrote in message
Sounds like a wonderful idea. My aunt used to take a little girl from
a kids' home every school holidays. At Christmas she gave as much to
the little girl as she did her own 4 kids including enough new
clothes to last a year. Took her to the beach, zoos, museums, parks,
whatever - even their annual family holiday. When she first started I
was quite young but I heard murmurings, like why spoil the kid so
much when she would have to go back to the home after that first
wonderful Christmas. But my aunt took that little girl until she was
old enough to leave the home and live independently and they still
have contact. She would be late 50's now (the little girl). I always
hoped they would adopt her but I don't know if they ever considered
it or if they did there was some reason why they weren't allowed to.
But the girl had as close as the real family thing in her life for
quite a few years that she may never had had.

One of her daughter's (my cousin) worked for years in a home for
adults with intellectual disabilities, on an island! as paymaster and
every Christmas she brought one guy home for Christmas lunch, ditto
Easter, his birthday and other times just for a weekend. He has sadly
passed away now but he thought my aunt, cousin and the rest of their
family were his family Even though my cousin was an adult he
called my aunt "mum"

"Storrmmee" wrote in message
when we got together we were too poor, and when we have extra at
christmas we usually give it to a charity, Lee
"Julie Bove" wrote in message

"Storrmmee" wrote in message
dh and i haven't ever been on the whole gift thing and without
kids it costs lots less, but staring at refurnishing a house is
stress inducing, so even if i had all the money i have ever spent
on holidays i would still be freaking, lol, Lee

My husband hasn't bought me anything for years. I used to buy for
him but it makes him angry so I no longer does. Angela does but
it's just a little token thing.

Old 20-12-2011, 11:20 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

one christmas it turned out money came missing from all the christmas
cards... they only figured out it was the child from the orphanage when one
of the adults noted only one dollar bills were missing... when dh;s father
talked to him he confessed and gave back the money, then asked why the
family gave fake money with five and ten on it, Lee

Old 20-12-2011, 07:10 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

My husband was in the AF for thirty years and the early years were very
slim. We never bought gifts for each other until about 25 years ago. Then it
was usually one gift. He now has retirement from the AF and is making good
money teaching at a local Community College. So we now buy gifts for each
other and the kids and Grandkids...why not when we can afford it....when he
retires from the CC we will have to cut back but now we can live
comfortably. We also give to many charities throughout the year and
Christmas. For the past 15 years we have bought two bikes for Toys for Tots.
We also give to the Local Community Food Bank...who can use the donations ,
especially in these times. We are so lucky the recession has not hit us and
are able to give to those in need right now. We also give to many pet rescue
groups. My husband and I both enjoy giving. We used to give our time to
Charities, since we didn't have the money, but now my health keeps me from
moving around a lot so we give money now, while we can....

Old 20-12-2011, 07:18 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

I think they give cards instead of food stamps here now...My Daughter gets
food stamps. She works full time and her husband stays home and takes care
of the little, he is also trying to get on disability , he injured his back
and had to have one of those nerve blocks put in. Those food stamps/card
help them a lot. We never used food stamps...when hubby was a Sgt and our
three kids were little we probably would have qualified but we didn't know
we could apply for them. I now know there are quite a few young military
families on food stamps/card.

"Ozgirl" wrote in message
When we lived in NSw there were a few times I had to use the local charity
for food. In between, if I was ever cashed up a bit I bought a few things
and dropped them off there. They are always appreciative of anything no
matter how small. These days they give out plastic supermarket gift cards
but I know they also have a fridge and freezer stocked with some immediate
essentials like milk, bread and butter etc. For a time there they gave you
part groceries and part store card.

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

"Storrmmee" wrote in message
when we got together we were too poor, and when we have extra at
christmas we usually give it to a charity, Lee

My husband used to give a lot to charity before we were married. We had
a food drive at work and he donated 2 whole shopping carts full of food.
The woman running the thing was stunned!

I wasn't able to give as much this year as I normally do. We gave some
food at Thanksgiving, mainly coupon items that we can not eat. Then $25
to Albertsons to go to the food bank. Angela found $21 over the course
of two days. Some in a parking lot and some on the floor of another
grocery store. It upset her badly that she couldn't find the owner so I
said we would donate it. I added the rest.

We gave twice to Toys For Tots but the only food I've been able to donate
besides a lot of cat food was a box of crackers that I got for free with
a coupon.

I told Angela, "We are the poor this year!"

Old 20-12-2011, 07:21 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

this is sorta like us, but instead of a gift for each other, we just sorta
get what we need throughout the year, the last thing we bought is what we
tell people we did for chirstmas so they don't go all weird...

we can't give as much as we used to but our two main charities are food
related and animal related, a food line at a local hospital and a church
pantry for food, two different shelters because their work is good.

the hospital food line is interesting, after the offical meal time is over
in the hospital cafeteria and the meals are served and they are changing the
line the food goes to the food line and is served the next day or later in
the day to those who need it, its free for everyone they don't ask for
income info or much of anything, so those who are not happy to be there
don't have to be further shamed, also they seek workers from those who come
to the line when they need workers. Lee

Old 20-12-2011, 07:22 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

We got the clothes and stuff we needed too, plus a couple of toys. Our
stockings always had fruit and nuts in them, nothing else's...once and a
while maybe a couple of pieces of candy and a candy cane. We always used one
of our own stockings to hang(I always made sure it was the stockings that
went to the knee..LOL) we never had those red fuzzy stockings we have today.

Old 20-12-2011, 07:23 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

we have the cards here in IL now also in MO, i think most if not all have
gone to it, much easier especially for someone who must shop and deal with
small children... i remember when my brother was first in the a/f they asked
and were two dollars over the limits with no kids, Lee
m...

Old 20-12-2011, 07:31 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

We lived in Montana and the Mts of Washington State when I was a kid and
oranges were a very nice treat

"Storrmmee" wrote in message
my mom said the best part of christmas was the orange when she was a kid,
lol, Lee
m...
"Ozgirl" wrote in message

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

"Storrmmee" wrote in message
[...]

Christmas menu? Julie Bove[_2_] General Cooking 519 20-12-2014 11:46 PM
our christmas menu Storrmmee Barbecue 2 25-12-2011 08:55 AM
Got our Christmas menu Julie Bove[_2_] Diabetic 9 21-12-2010 08:04 AM
What is your Christmas morning menu? mom0f4boys General Cooking 60 26-12-2006 06:15 PM
Christmas menu... Omelet General Cooking 2 15-12-2006 11:08 PM