Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Do you have a Christmas Menu?

Sounds like a wonderful idea. My aunt used to take a little girl from a
kids' home every school holidays. At Christmas she gave as much to the
little girl as she did her own 4 kids including enough new clothes to
last a year. Took her to the beach, zoos, museums, parks, whatever -
even their annual family holiday. When she first started I was quite
young but I heard murmurings, like why spoil the kid so much when she
would have to go back to the home after that first wonderful Christmas.
But my aunt took that little girl until she was old enough to leave the
home and live independently and they still have contact. She would be
late 50's now (the little girl). I always hoped they would adopt her but
I don't know if they ever considered it or if they did there was some
reason why they weren't allowed to. But the girl had as close as the
real family thing in her life for quite a few years that she may never
had had.

One of her daughter's (my cousin) worked for years in a home for adults
with intellectual disabilities, on an island! as paymaster and every
Christmas she brought one guy home for Christmas lunch, ditto Easter,
his birthday and other times just for a weekend. He has sadly passed
away now but he thought my aunt, cousin and the rest of their family
were his family Even though my cousin was an adult he called my aunt
"mum"

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> when we got together we were too poor, and when we have extra at
> christmas we usually give it to a charity, Lee
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>>> dh and i haven't ever been on the whole gift thing and without kids
>>> it costs lots less, but staring at refurnishing a house is stress
>>> inducing, so even if i had all the money i have ever spent on
>>> holidays i would still be freaking, lol, Lee

>> My husband hasn't bought me anything for years. I used to buy for
>> him but it makes him angry so I no longer does. Angela does but it's
>> just a little token thing.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

When we lived in NSw there were a few times I had to use the local
charity for food. In between, if I was ever cashed up a bit I bought a
few things and dropped them off there. They are always appreciative of
anything no matter how small. These days they give out plastic
supermarket gift cards but I know they also have a fridge and freezer
stocked with some immediate essentials like milk, bread and butter etc.
For a time there they gave you part groceries and part store card.

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>> when we got together we were too poor, and when we have extra at
>> christmas we usually give it to a charity, Lee

> My husband used to give a lot to charity before we were married. We
> had a food drive at work and he donated 2 whole shopping carts full of
> food. The woman running the thing was stunned!
>
> I wasn't able to give as much this year as I normally do. We gave
> some food at Thanksgiving, mainly coupon items that we can not eat.
> Then $25 to Albertsons to go to the food bank. Angela found $21 over
> the course of two days. Some in a parking lot and some on the floor
> of another grocery store. It upset her badly that she couldn't find
> the owner so I said we would donate it. I added the rest.
>
> We gave twice to Toys For Tots but the only food I've been able to
> donate besides a lot of cat food was a box of crackers that I got for
> free with a coupon.
>
> I told Angela, "We are the poor this year!"

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

my DH was adopted as a baby, and a couple of times their family got a boy
from the orpanage near them for a holiday, but when they started the kids
were older, it didn't work out well, but dh was proud as he was remembering
his father for trying, Lee
"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> Sounds like a wonderful idea. My aunt used to take a little girl from a
> kids' home every school holidays. At Christmas she gave as much to the
> little girl as she did her own 4 kids including enough new clothes to last
> a year. Took her to the beach, zoos, museums, parks, whatever - even their
> annual family holiday. When she first started I was quite young but I
> heard murmurings, like why spoil the kid so much when she would have to go
> back to the home after that first wonderful Christmas. But my aunt took
> that little girl until she was old enough to leave the home and live
> independently and they still have contact. She would be late 50's now (the
> little girl). I always hoped they would adopt her but I don't know if they
> ever considered it or if they did there was some reason why they weren't
> allowed to. But the girl had as close as the real family thing in her life
> for quite a few years that she may never had had.
>
> One of her daughter's (my cousin) worked for years in a home for adults
> with intellectual disabilities, on an island! as paymaster and every
> Christmas she brought one guy home for Christmas lunch, ditto Easter, his
> birthday and other times just for a weekend. He has sadly passed away now
> but he thought my aunt, cousin and the rest of their family were his
> family Even though my cousin was an adult he called my aunt "mum"
>
> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>> when we got together we were too poor, and when we have extra at
>> christmas we usually give it to a charity, Lee

>>> My husband hasn't bought me anything for years. I used to buy for him
>>> but it makes him angry so I no longer does. Angela does but it's just a
>>> little token thing.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> so many people are struggling and somebody at food banks finally
> figured out that people could keep their pets and feed them if they
> took donations, without that people either surrender their animals or
> use food they could be eating to give to the animals, which helps
> nobody's nutrition... don't get me wrong, if your animals will ea t
> leftovers and they are otherwise healthy it doesn't hurt a single
> thing to supplement say a dog or cat with mashed potatoes and gravy if
> they will eat it, but that should only be a supplement, Lee

I remember a time when not only cigarettes and alcohol were on the list
of things you couldn't buy with food stamps but also animal food. An
animal can be a real source of comfort for people who are poor and
or/lonely.

As you say, if necessary you can feed an animal leftovers for the short
term. Not ideal but better than having to surrender them. I found that
it was a good thing to always buy a bit of canned food every week to
keep away for lean times, ditto for the family too of course, lol.
Amazing what you can live on out of a pantry for a fairly extended time.

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>>> that is very good for angela, to let her know that giving can still
>>> be done even if you are using coupons to get free things to donate,
>>> you still do the work to use the coupon and get it to the food bank,
>>> Lee

>> Yes. We get a lot of coupons we can't use and also store coupons on
>> occasion for free things we can't eat. And apparently there is a
>> huge need for cat food this year. We saw a cat food donation bin
>> today. I tried to find one last year and couldn't. Nice to know
>> that the regular food bank will take it. I stocked up on food the
>> other day and screwed up as to the kind I bought. They will only eat
>> tuna and only certain kinds. I bought the wrong kind and they
>> wouldn't touch it. So it went off to the food bank along with the BG
>> kind. I really thought they would like that!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> type OOO i meant inadept, or unadept, lol, Lee

I liked your first go at it

> [...]
>>>
>>> Took us twice as long as normal to get to the pet store because of
>>> traffic. But we did get to pet a nice huge tabby. Found the exact
>>> scratching post I wanted. I had a dream about it the other night.
>>> Angela liked it too. Paid for it. Picked it up and then knocked
>>> myself in the head with it. Saw some stars. Angela said she would
>>> take it. She fared well until she got to the door where she whacked
>>> it on the door frame. But it survived.
>>>
>>> Started to drive back out this way. Traffic was just creeping!
>>> Start and stop. Mainly stop. Our tummies began to rumble and my
>>> foot began to cramp. I just kept thinking of the free popcorn. And
>>> the bathroom. They have one in there.
>>>
>>> Well by the time we got there they had cleaned the popcorn machine
>>> out for the day. I should have demanded some because there is a
>>> sign boasting of its freeness. They did have free coffee and water.
>>>
>>> Used the bathroom then meandered around the screw aisle in a dither.
>>> Angela actually found what were the correct screws but I couldn't
>>> figure it out. Got a guy to help me. Turns out I would have needed
>>> him anyway because he had to bag and label the items for me. Wasn't
>>> able to use my $10 off coupon because I couldn't find anything else
>>> that we needed. Had to spend $50 to get the discount. But I did
>>> get my military discount. Angela was mad because she wanted food. I
>>> said I would buy her something if they had it, but not candy. They
>>> had a little bit of food that wasn't candy but she was either
>>> allergic or not interested. They did have a can of asparagus soup
>>> that was self heating. Also tomato soup. They were $3.00. I
>>> didn't look to see if she was allergic but she immediately turned up
>>> her nose so I didn't. But I was rather interested to see how they
>>> heated up.
>>>
>>> On to the grocery store for a few quick things then home for a quick
>>> dinner. Then to assemble the towel holder.
>>>
>>> This thing is made of metal and has decorative leaves in it. I
>>> can't tell you how many times I klonked myself on the foot or the
>>> head with this thing. Or how many times the leaves scraped my
>>> fingers. I tried to assemble it in my computer chair. Then I
>>> realized there was no way I could do that. It needed to be flat on
>>> the floor. Or so I thought. There were three posts that went up the
>>> back. I would put them in. Ballerina would take them out. Then
>>> Jazzy became interested and she too wanted to "help" me. I finally
>>> had to call for Angela. I disliked having to do this because she
>>> isn't the most willing participant when it comes to helping assemble
>>> things. But I realized it was humanly impossible to have assembled
>>> this thing alone. Perhaps an octopus could have done it. But they
>>> don't have fingers to grip the screwdriver.
>>>
>>> But it's finally done and in the bathroom. Now I just have to
>>> finish the laundry so I can put the towels in. It had gotten to
>>> where I was washing towels pretty much on an as needed basis because

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

one of the things i am looking forward to in getting back into the house is
getting a decent food supply again, because of our work, i work hard all
spring and summper tobuild up the stock so on those months when we don't
make a lot we aren't hungry because we spent excess, i am going to have to
work hard to control this because we haven't a freezer, or frig for that
matter yet, Lee
"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>> so many people are struggling and somebody at food banks finally figured
>> out that people could keep their pets and feed them if they took
>> donations, without that people either surrender their animals or use food
>> they could be eating to give to the animals, which helps nobody's
>> nutrition... don't get me wrong, if your animals will ea t leftovers and
>> they are otherwise healthy it doesn't hurt a single thing to supplement
>> say a dog or cat with mashed potatoes and gravy if they will eat it, but
>> that should only be a supplement, Lee

> I remember a time when not only cigarettes and alcohol were on the list of
> things you couldn't buy with food stamps but also animal food. An animal
> can be a real source of comfort for people who are poor and or/lonely.
>
> As you say, if necessary you can feed an animal leftovers for the short
> term. Not ideal but better than having to surrender them. I found that it
> was a good thing to always buy a bit of canned food every week to keep
> away for lean times, ditto for the family too of course, lol. Amazing what
> you can live on out of a pantry for a fairly extended time.

>>> Yes. We get a lot of coupons we can't use and also store coupons on
>>> occasion for free things we can't eat. And apparently there is a huge
>>> need for cat food this year. We saw a cat food donation bin today. I
>>> tried to find one last year and couldn't. Nice to know that the regular
>>> food bank will take it. I stocked up on food the other day and screwed
>>> up as to the kind I bought. They will only eat tuna and only certain
>>> kinds. I bought the wrong kind and they wouldn't touch it. So it went
>>> off to the food bank along with the BG kind. I really thought they
>>> would like that!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

i am so not mechanical i am impressed i can type at all, Lee
"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>> type OOO i meant inadept, or unadept, lol, Lee

> I liked your first go at it
>
>> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>>> whew!!! i am so mechanically adept it boggles most people, good you got
>>> it done, Lee

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>> what a great attitude, when i was a kid there were a few years where
>> parents didn't have a lot of money, so daddy would present us with a
>> list of things to choose from and we all got one family gift, the
>> only one i remember is the year we choose the pool table... pricey if
>> purchased, but my dad went to a pool supply house and bought felt,
>> slate cups, and accessories, and built the actual table, i was little
>> enough i let older brother talk me into it not having a clue what it
>> was... its now living in the basement at my moms and is over fourty
>> years old and in great condition because he has replaced the felt and
>> rubbers a few times. Lee

> I didn't realize it when I was a kid but most of what Santa gave us
> were necessary items. Pajamas, maybe a robe, always socks and
> underwear. Once in a while I would get a new dress and my brother
> would usually get pants and a shirt. Toothbrushes in our stockings.

Same, we got a lot of clothes (none that I liked, lol but clothes just
the same) books (I liked the "annuals" and stuff like Famous Five etc)
and bits and pieces of stationery, cheap games a couple of small toys
all in the Santa bag. There was a stocking that had chips, lollies and
some cheap little thing or two and one "big" present. My favourite was a
3 wheeler bike with a bell and a tray at the back

> When Angela was little she always expected Santa to put things in all
> of our stockings. For mine I would either buy things that I knew I
> would be needing or I would find extras of things around the house and
> just put them in there. She never knew. She just thought Santa did a
> good job of giving me what I needed!

Clever Santa

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> you have obiosly raised your children correctly owing to the fact they
> are willing to wait and are supporting you with jasmine... btw i think
> of you every time one of the cleaning staff comes to do our room...
> they are variying levels of adulthood and comptence, and several will
> have permanent job coaches, but they are all almost with some level of
> mental/intellectual handicap Lee

Correct or not its something they just have to accept, luckily they
accepted graciously. Despite their ages (17, 20 and 22) they still like
their Santa bags with a few toy-like presents inside

> "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
>> When my kids were young the stress was enormous. How can Santa let
>> down a little kid? I always laybyed stuff earlier in the year.
>> Layby's are generally only about 6 weeks but for toys they can be 6-8
>> months which is a huge help. 5 of my kids are adults and one is about
>> to turn 17, so that leaves Jasmine who will be intellectually young
>> forever. She is going on 16 but today I went out and bought her toys
>> The others are happy enough to wait for a Xmas a few months down
>> the track.
>>
>> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>>> what a great attitude, when i was a kid there were a few years where
>>> parents didn't have a lot of money, so daddy would present us with a
>>> list of things to choose from and we all got one family gift, the
>>> only one i remember is the year we choose the pool table... pricey
>>> if purchased, but my dad went to a pool supply house and bought
>>> felt, slate cups, and accessories, and built the actual table, i was
>>> little enough i let older brother talk me into it not having a clue
>>> what it was... its now living in the basement at my moms and is over
>>> fourty years old and in great condition because he has replaced the
>>> felt and rubbers a few times. Lee

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> my DH was adopted as a baby, and a couple of times their family got a
> boy from the orpanage near them for a holiday, but when they started
> the kids were older, it didn't work out well, but dh was proud as he
> was remembering his father for trying, Lee

This little girl was about 8 or 9 when she started going to my aunt's
house. I don't know how it all came about in the first place. The first
time she came was for Christmas and we all went there for the big family
tea after having lunch with our individual families or in laws. This kid
had a shocking haircut and terrible clothes but that was the last I ever
saw that. Because she came for holidays (3 times a year) my aunt would
get her hair done plus supply the clothes for her. I know older kids
sometimes have problems and don't always fit in well with a host family.

> "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
>> Sounds like a wonderful idea. My aunt used to take a little girl from
>> a kids' home every school holidays. At Christmas she gave as much to
>> the little girl as she did her own 4 kids including enough new
>> clothes to last a year. Took her to the beach, zoos, museums, parks,
>> whatever - even their annual family holiday. When she first started I
>> was quite young but I heard murmurings, like why spoil the kid so
>> much when she would have to go back to the home after that first
>> wonderful Christmas. But my aunt took that little girl until she was
>> old enough to leave the home and live independently and they still
>> have contact. She would be late 50's now (the little girl). I always
>> hoped they would adopt her but I don't know if they ever considered
>> it or if they did there was some reason why they weren't allowed to.
>> But the girl had as close as the real family thing in her life for
>> quite a few years that she may never had had.
>>
>> One of her daughter's (my cousin) worked for years in a home for
>> adults with intellectual disabilities, on an island! as paymaster and
>> every Christmas she brought one guy home for Christmas lunch, ditto
>> Easter, his birthday and other times just for a weekend. He has sadly
>> passed away now but he thought my aunt, cousin and the rest of their
>> family were his family Even though my cousin was an adult he
>> called my aunt "mum"
>>
>> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>>> when we got together we were too poor, and when we have extra at
>>> christmas we usually give it to a charity, Lee

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

one christmas it turned out money came missing from all the christmas
cards... they only figured out it was the child from the orphanage when one
of the adults noted only one dollar bills were missing... when dh;s father
talked to him he confessed and gave back the money, then asked why the
family gave fake money with five and ten on it, Lee
"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>> my DH was adopted as a baby, and a couple of times their family got a boy
>> from the orpanage near them for a holiday, but when they started the kids
>> were older, it didn't work out well, but dh was proud as he was
>> remembering his father for trying, Lee

> This little girl was about 8 or 9 when she started going to my aunt's
> house. I don't know how it all came about in the first place. The first
> time she came was for Christmas and we all went there for the big family
> tea after having lunch with our individual families or in laws. This kid
> had a shocking haircut and terrible clothes but that was the last I ever
> saw that. Because she came for holidays (3 times a year) my aunt would get
> her hair done plus supply the clothes for her. I know older kids sometimes
> have problems and don't always fit in well with a host family.
>
>> "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
>>> Sounds like a wonderful idea. My aunt used to take a little girl from a
>>> kids' home every school holidays. At Christmas she gave as much to the
>>> little girl as she did her own 4 kids including enough new clothes to
>>> last a year. Took her to the beach, zoos, museums, parks, whatever -
>>> even their annual family holiday. When she first started I was quite
>>> young but I heard murmurings, like why spoil the kid so much when she
>>> would have to go back to the home after that first wonderful Christmas.
>>> But my aunt took that little girl until she was old enough to leave the
>>> home and live independently and they still have contact. She would be
>>> late 50's now (the little girl). I always hoped they would adopt her but
>>> I don't know if they ever considered it or if they did there was some
>>> reason why they weren't allowed to. But the girl had as close as the
>>> real family thing in her life for quite a few years that she may never
>>> had had.
>>>
>>> One of her daughter's (my cousin) worked for years in a home for adults
>>> with intellectual disabilities, on an island! as paymaster and every
>>> Christmas she brought one guy home for Christmas lunch, ditto Easter,
>>> his birthday and other times just for a weekend. He has sadly passed
>>> away now but he thought my aunt, cousin and the rest of their family
>>> were his family Even though my cousin was an adult he called my aunt

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

My husband was in the AF for thirty years and the early years were very
slim. We never bought gifts for each other until about 25 years ago. Then it
was usually one gift. He now has retirement from the AF and is making good
money teaching at a local Community College. So we now buy gifts for each
other and the kids and Grandkids...why not when we can afford it....when he
retires from the CC we will have to cut back but now we can live
comfortably. We also give to many charities throughout the year and
Christmas. For the past 15 years we have bought two bikes for Toys for Tots.
We also give to the Local Community Food Bank...who can use the donations ,
especially in these times. We are so lucky the recession has not hit us and
are able to give to those in need right now. We also give to many pet rescue
groups. My husband and I both enjoy giving. We used to give our time to
Charities, since we didn't have the money, but now my health keeps me from
moving around a lot so we give money now, while we can....

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> when we got together we were too poor, and when we have extra at christmas
> we usually give it to a charity, Lee
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>>> dh and i haven't ever been on the whole gift thing and without kids it
>>> costs lots less, but staring at refurnishing a house is stress inducing,
>>> so even if i had all the money i have ever spent on holidays i would
>>> still be freaking, lol, Lee

>> My husband hasn't bought me anything for years. I used to buy for him
>> but it makes him angry so I no longer does. Angela does but it's just a
>> little token thing.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

I think they give cards instead of food stamps here now...My Daughter gets
food stamps. She works full time and her husband stays home and takes care
of the little, he is also trying to get on disability , he injured his back
and had to have one of those nerve blocks put in. Those food stamps/card
help them a lot. We never used food stamps...when hubby was a Sgt and our
three kids were little we probably would have qualified but we didn't know
we could apply for them. I now know there are quite a few young military
families on food stamps/card.

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> When we lived in NSw there were a few times I had to use the local charity
> for food. In between, if I was ever cashed up a bit I bought a few things
> and dropped them off there. They are always appreciative of anything no
> matter how small. These days they give out plastic supermarket gift cards
> but I know they also have a fridge and freezer stocked with some immediate
> essentials like milk, bread and butter etc. For a time there they gave you
> part groceries and part store card.
>
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>>> when we got together we were too poor, and when we have extra at
>>> christmas we usually give it to a charity, Lee

>> My husband used to give a lot to charity before we were married. We had
>> a food drive at work and he donated 2 whole shopping carts full of food.
>> The woman running the thing was stunned!
>>
>> I wasn't able to give as much this year as I normally do. We gave some
>> food at Thanksgiving, mainly coupon items that we can not eat. Then $25
>> to Albertsons to go to the food bank. Angela found $21 over the course
>> of two days. Some in a parking lot and some on the floor of another
>> grocery store. It upset her badly that she couldn't find the owner so I
>> said we would donate it. I added the rest.
>>
>> We gave twice to Toys For Tots but the only food I've been able to donate
>> besides a lot of cat food was a box of crackers that I got for free with
>> a coupon.
>>
>> I told Angela, "We are the poor this year!"

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

this is sorta like us, but instead of a gift for each other, we just sorta
get what we need throughout the year, the last thing we bought is what we
tell people we did for chirstmas so they don't go all weird...

we can't give as much as we used to but our two main charities are food
related and animal related, a food line at a local hospital and a church
pantry for food, two different shelters because their work is good.

the hospital food line is interesting, after the offical meal time is over
in the hospital cafeteria and the meals are served and they are changing the
line the food goes to the food line and is served the next day or later in
the day to those who need it, its free for everyone they don't ask for
income info or much of anything, so those who are not happy to be there
don't have to be further shamed, also they seek workers from those who come
to the line when they need workers. Lee
"Jacquie" > wrote in message
> My husband was in the AF for thirty years and the early years were very
> slim. We never bought gifts for each other until about 25 years ago. Then
> it was usually one gift. He now has retirement from the AF and is making
> good money teaching at a local Community College. So we now buy gifts for
> each other and the kids and Grandkids...why not when we can afford
> it....when he retires from the CC we will have to cut back but now we can
> live comfortably. We also give to many charities throughout the year and
> Christmas. For the past 15 years we have bought two bikes for Toys for
> Tots. We also give to the Local Community Food Bank...who can use the
> donations , especially in these times. We are so lucky the recession has
> not hit us and are able to give to those in need right now. We also give
> to many pet rescue groups. My husband and I both enjoy giving. We used to
> give our time to Charities, since we didn't have the money, but now my
> health keeps me from moving around a lot so we give money now, while we
> can....
>
> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>> when we got together we were too poor, and when we have extra at
>> christmas we usually give it to a charity, Lee

>>> My husband hasn't bought me anything for years. I used to buy for him
>>> but it makes him angry so I no longer does. Angela does but it's just a
>>> little token thing.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

We got the clothes and stuff we needed too, plus a couple of toys. Our
stockings always had fruit and nuts in them, nothing else's...once and a
while maybe a couple of pieces of candy and a candy cane. We always used one
of our own stockings to hang(I always made sure it was the stockings that
went to the knee..LOL) we never had those red fuzzy stockings we have today.
"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>>> what a great attitude, when i was a kid there were a few years where
>>> parents didn't have a lot of money, so daddy would present us with a
>>> list of things to choose from and we all got one family gift, the only
>>> one i remember is the year we choose the pool table... pricey if
>>> purchased, but my dad went to a pool supply house and bought felt, slate
>>> cups, and accessories, and built the actual table, i was little enough i
>>> let older brother talk me into it not having a clue what it was... its
>>> now living in the basement at my moms and is over fourty years old and
>>> in great condition because he has replaced the felt and rubbers a few
>>> times. Lee

>> I didn't realize it when I was a kid but most of what Santa gave us were
>> necessary items. Pajamas, maybe a robe, always socks and underwear.
>> Once in a while I would get a new dress and my brother would usually get
>> pants and a shirt. Toothbrushes in our stockings.

> Same, we got a lot of clothes (none that I liked, lol but clothes just the
> same) books (I liked the "annuals" and stuff like Famous Five etc) and
> bits and pieces of stationery, cheap games a couple of small toys all in
> the Santa bag. There was a stocking that had chips, lollies and some cheap
> little thing or two and one "big" present. My favourite was a 3 wheeler
> bike with a bell and a tray at the back
>
>> When Angela was little she always expected Santa to put things in all of
>> our stockings. For mine I would either buy things that I knew I would be
>> needing or I would find extras of things around the house and just put
>> them in there. She never knew. She just thought Santa did a good job of
>> giving me what I needed!

> Clever Santa

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

we have the cards here in IL now also in MO, i think most if not all have
gone to it, much easier especially for someone who must shop and deal with
small children... i remember when my brother was first in the a/f they asked
and were two dollars over the limits with no kids, Lee
"Jacquie" > wrote in message
m...
>I think they give cards instead of food stamps here now...My Daughter gets
>food stamps. She works full time and her husband stays home and takes care
>of the little, he is also trying to get on disability , he injured his back
>and had to have one of those nerve blocks put in. Those food stamps/card
>help them a lot. We never used food stamps...when hubby was a Sgt and our
>three kids were little we probably would have qualified but we didn't know
>we could apply for them. I now know there are quite a few young military
>families on food stamps/card.
>

> "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
>> When we lived in NSw there were a few times I had to use the local
>> charity for food. In between, if I was ever cashed up a bit I bought a
>> few things and dropped them off there. They are always appreciative of
>> anything no matter how small. These days they give out plastic
>> supermarket gift cards but I know they also have a fridge and freezer
>> stocked with some immediate essentials like milk, bread and butter etc.
>> For a time there they gave you part groceries and part store card.

>>> My husband used to give a lot to charity before we were married. We had
>>> a food drive at work and he donated 2 whole shopping carts full of food.
>>> The woman running the thing was stunned!
>>>
>>> I wasn't able to give as much this year as I normally do. We gave some
>>> food at Thanksgiving, mainly coupon items that we can not eat. Then $25
>>> to Albertsons to go to the food bank. Angela found $21 over the course
>>> of two days. Some in a parking lot and some on the floor of another
>>> grocery store. It upset her badly that she couldn't find the owner so I
>>> said we would donate it. I added the rest.
>>>
>>> We gave twice to Toys For Tots but the only food I've been able to
>>> donate besides a lot of cat food was a box of crackers that I got for
>>> free with a coupon.
>>>
>>> I told Angela, "We are the poor this year!"

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

my mom said the best part of christmas was the orange when she was a kid,
lol, Lee
"Jacquie" > wrote in message
m...
> We got the clothes and stuff we needed too, plus a couple of toys. Our
> stockings always had fruit and nuts in them, nothing else's...once and a
> while maybe a couple of pieces of candy and a candy cane. We always used
> one of our own stockings to hang(I always made sure it was the stockings
> that went to the knee..LOL) we never had those red fuzzy stockings we have
> today.
> "Ozgirl" > wrote in message

>>> I didn't realize it when I was a kid but most of what Santa gave us were
>>> necessary items. Pajamas, maybe a robe, always socks and underwear.
>>> Once in a while I would get a new dress and my brother would usually get
>>> pants and a shirt. Toothbrushes in our stockings.

>> Same, we got a lot of clothes (none that I liked, lol but clothes just
>> the same) books (I liked the "annuals" and stuff like Famous Five etc)
>> and bits and pieces of stationery, cheap games a couple of small toys all
>> in the Santa bag. There was a stocking that had chips, lollies and some
>> cheap little thing or two and one "big" present. My favourite was a 3
>> wheeler bike with a bell and a tray at the back
>>
>>> When Angela was little she always expected Santa to put things in all of
>>> our stockings. For mine I would either buy things that I knew I would
>>> be needing or I would find extras of things around the house and just
>>> put them in there. She never knew. She just thought Santa did a good
>>> job of giving me what I needed!

>> Clever Santa

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

We call them Lay-aways here. My kids would never had gotten toys if I
couldn't do Lay-away.Sure helped a lot

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> When my kids were young the stress was enormous. How can Santa let down a
> little kid? I always laybyed stuff earlier in the year. Layby's are
> generally only about 6 weeks but for toys they can be 6-8 months which is
> a huge help. 5 of my kids are adults and one is about to turn 17, so that
> leaves Jasmine who will be intellectually young forever. She is going on
> 16 but today I went out and bought her toys The others are happy enough
> to wait for a Xmas a few months down the track.
>
> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>> what a great attitude, when i was a kid there were a few years where
>> parents didn't have a lot of money, so daddy would present us with a list
>> of things to choose from and we all got one family gift, the only one i
>> remember is the year we choose the pool table... pricey if purchased, but
>> my dad went to a pool supply house and bought felt, slate cups, and
>> accessories, and built the actual table, i was little enough i let older
>> brother talk me into it not having a clue what it was... its now living
>> in the basement at my moms and is over fourty years old and in great
>> condition because he has replaced the felt and rubbers a few times. Lee

>>> Either way, its the family get together that's more important than the
>>> type of food or how much time is spent on making it special. Xmas can be
>>> traumatic for a variety of reasons. We are absolutely stone broke this
>>> Xmas but I am not depressed about it, as I know that we will get to do
>>> Xmas, just not on Xmas Day . All family members have stated they are
>>> not fussed about presents or a big Xmas spread etc. My one exception is
>>> to fill a Santa bag and stocking for Jasmine.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

it seems my mom did this but i didn't realise it until i thought about it,
Lee
"Jacquie" > wrote in message
m...
> We call them Lay-aways here. My kids would never had gotten toys if I
> couldn't do Lay-away.Sure helped a lot
>

> "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
>> When my kids were young the stress was enormous. How can Santa let down a
>> little kid? I always laybyed stuff earlier in the year. Layby's are
>> generally only about 6 weeks but for toys they can be 6-8 months which is
>> a huge help. 5 of my kids are adults and one is about to turn 17, so that
>> leaves Jasmine who will be intellectually young forever. She is going on
>> 16 but today I went out and bought her toys The others are happy
>> enough to wait for a Xmas a few months down the track.
>>
>> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>>> what a great attitude, when i was a kid there were a few years where
>>> parents didn't have a lot of money, so daddy would present us with a
>>> list of things to choose from and we all got one family gift, the only
>>> one i remember is the year we choose the pool table... pricey if
>>> purchased, but my dad went to a pool supply house and bought felt, slate
>>> cups, and accessories, and built the actual table, i was little enough i
>>> let older brother talk me into it not having a clue what it was... its
>>> now living in the basement at my moms and is over fourty years old and
>>> in great condition because he has replaced the felt and rubbers a few
>>> times. Lee

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

We lived in Montana and the Mts of Washington State when I was a kid and
oranges were a very nice treat

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> my mom said the best part of christmas was the orange when she was a kid,
> lol, Lee
> "Jacquie" > wrote in message
> m...
>> We got the clothes and stuff we needed too, plus a couple of toys. Our
>> stockings always had fruit and nuts in them, nothing else's...once and a
>> while maybe a couple of pieces of candy and a candy cane. We always used
>> one of our own stockings to hang(I always made sure it was the stockings
>> that went to the knee..LOL) we never had those red fuzzy stockings we
>> have today.

>>> Same, we got a lot of clothes (none that I liked, lol but clothes just
>>> the same) books (I liked the "annuals" and stuff like Famous Five etc)
>>> and bits and pieces of stationery, cheap games a couple of small toys
>>> all in the Santa bag. There was a stocking that had chips, lollies and
>>> some cheap little thing or two and one "big" present. My favourite was a
>>> 3 wheeler bike with a bell and a tray at the back

>>> Clever Santa

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

my mom grew up in the back woods of MO so if they didn't grow it/can it it
didn't get bought often if it were fruit, my grandmother canned apples,
berries of all types and pears that they grew, citrus was a real treat, Lee
"Jacquie" > wrote in message
m...
> We lived in Montana and the Mts of Washington State when I was a kid and
> oranges were a very nice treat
>
> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>> my mom said the best part of christmas was the orange when she was a
>> kid, lol, Lee
>> "Jacquie" > wrote in message
>> m...
>>> We got the clothes and stuff we needed too, plus a couple of toys. Our
>>> stockings always had fruit and nuts in them, nothing else's...once and a
>>> while maybe a couple of pieces of candy and a candy cane. We always used
>>> one of our own stockings to hang(I always made sure it was the stockings
>>> that went to the knee..LOL) we never had those red fuzzy stockings we
>>> have today.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

My Aunt lived in Idaho , had a pear tree , there is nothing like a ripe pear
picked off the tree.....yummm.

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> my mom grew up in the back woods of MO so if they didn't grow it/can it it
> didn't get bought often if it were fruit, my grandmother canned apples,
> berries of all types and pears that they grew, citrus was a real treat,
> Lee
> "Jacquie" > wrote in message
> m...
>> We lived in Montana and the Mts of Washington State when I was a kid and
>> oranges were a very nice treat
>>
>> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>>> my mom said the best part of christmas was the orange when she was a
>>> kid, lol, Lee
>>> "Jacquie" > wrote in message
>>> m...

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> my mom said the best part of christmas was the orange when she was a kid,
> lol, Lee

My mom said that too. But I never liked them.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Jacquie" > wrote in message
m...
> We got the clothes and stuff we needed too, plus a couple of toys. Our
> stockings always had fruit and nuts in them, nothing else's...once and
> a while maybe a couple of pieces of candy and a candy cane. We always
> used one of our own stockings to hang(I always made sure it was the
> stockings that went to the knee..LOL) we never had those red fuzzy
> stockings we have today.

I got Jasmine a little felt bag this year instead of the stocking, they
are too awkward IMO. the bag is red with a handle and a Santa Motif on
it. About the size of a library bag.

I also bought a throwaway heavy paper "sack".

> "Ozgirl" > wrote in message

>>> I didn't realize it when I was a kid but most of what Santa gave us
>>> were necessary items. Pajamas, maybe a robe, always socks and
>>> underwear. Once in a while I would get a new dress and my brother
>>> would usually get pants and a shirt. Toothbrushes in our stockings.

>> Same, we got a lot of clothes (none that I liked, lol but clothes
>> just the same) books (I liked the "annuals" and stuff like Famous
>> Five etc) and bits and pieces of stationery, cheap games a couple of
>> small toys all in the Santa bag. There was a stocking that had chips,
>> lollies and some cheap little thing or two and one "big" present. My
>> favourite was a 3 wheeler bike with a bell and a tray at the back
>>
>>> When Angela was little she always expected Santa to put things in
>>> all of our stockings. For mine I would either buy things that I
>>> knew I would be needing or I would find extras of things around the
>>> house and just put them in there. She never knew. She just thought
>>> Santa did a good job of giving me what I needed!

>> Clever Santa

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

x-o-archive: yes

On 12/20/2011 5:39 PM, Jacquie wrote:
> In the "OLD" days you didn't get housing or housing money until you were
> a certain rank. Yes we got free medical care, but in those days it
> wasn't very good medical care, today is much better. There are still
> young families that qualify for food stamps. When hubby first went in
> there was no such thing as cost of living raises....that didn't happen
> until the early 80's .. Here is a Base Pay Chart for 2012
> http://www.militaryfactory.com/military_pay_scale.asp

I think some folks say different things on different days, too.

There was recent discussion of both past and present, and inconsistency
galore.

Yes, there are still young military families who qualify for food stamps
and whose military income provides only marginal QOL. The medical care
seems to vary a great deal. I know some military and retired military
who are very happy with their care and others who're receiving terrible
care and advice from the VA med centers.

Susan

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> it seems my mom did this but i didn't realise it until i thought about
> it, Lee

Mine got things on a store account, cheap dept store. If we wanted
clothes that didn't come from the op shops we had to choose from the
store Mum had an account with.

> "Jacquie" > wrote in message
> m...
>> We call them Lay-aways here. My kids would never had gotten toys if I
>> couldn't do Lay-away.Sure helped a lot

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Susan" > wrote in message
> x-o-archive: yes
>
> On 12/20/2011 5:39 PM, Jacquie wrote:
>> In the "OLD" days you didn't get housing or housing money until you
>> were
>> a certain rank. Yes we got free medical care, but in those days it
>> wasn't very good medical care, today is much better. There are still
>> young families that qualify for food stamps. When hubby first went in
>> there was no such thing as cost of living raises....that didn't
>> happen
>> until the early 80's .. Here is a Base Pay Chart for 2012
>> http://www.militaryfactory.com/military_pay_scale.asp

> I think some folks say different things on different days, too.

And some folks like to stir the shit, let it go.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

I've read that dogs have somewhat short digestive tracts, and although
they'll eat bread, they can't digest it well.

On 12/20/2011 4:53 AM, Ozgirl wrote:

> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>> so many people are struggling and somebody at food banks finally
>> figured out that people could keep their pets and feed them if they
>> took donations, without that people either surrender their animals or
>> use food they could be eating to give to the animals, which helps
>> nobody's nutrition... don't get me wrong, if your animals will ea t
>> leftovers and they are otherwise healthy it doesn't hurt a single
>> thing to supplement say a dog or cat with mashed potatoes and gravy if
>> they will eat it, but that should only be a supplement, Lee

> I remember a time when not only cigarettes and alcohol were on the list
> of things you couldn't buy with food stamps but also animal food. An
> animal can be a real source of comfort for people who are poor and
> or/lonely.
>
> As you say, if necessary you can feed an animal leftovers for the short
> term. Not ideal but better than having to surrender them. I found that
> it was a good thing to always buy a bit of canned food every week to
> keep away for lean times, ditto for the family too of course, lol.
> Amazing what you can live on out of a pantry for a fairly extended time.

>>> Yes. We get a lot of coupons we can't use and also store coupons on
>>> occasion for free things we can't eat. And apparently there is a huge
>>> need for cat food this year. We saw a cat food donation bin today. I
>>> tried to find one last year and couldn't. Nice to know that the
>>> regular food bank will take it. I stocked up on food the other day
>>> and screwed up as to the kind I bought. They will only eat tuna and
>>> only certain kinds. I bought the wrong kind and they wouldn't touch
>>> it. So it went off to the food bank along with the BG kind. I really
>>> thought they would like that!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

mmmm
"Jacquie" > wrote in message
m...
> My Aunt lived in Idaho , had a pear tree , there is nothing like a ripe
> pear picked off the tree.....yummm.
>
> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>> my mom grew up in the back woods of MO so if they didn't grow it/can it
>> it didn't get bought often if it were fruit, my grandmother canned
>> apples, berries of all types and pears that they grew, citrus was a real
>> treat, Lee
>> "Jacquie" > wrote in message
>> m...
>>> We lived in Montana and the Mts of Washington State when I was a kid and
>>> oranges were a very nice treat

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

lol, i was twelve before i knew clothes came from a store... i knew
underwear and socks came from sears, at christmas of course, and i knew in
some of the farm stores there were bibs and coats... but until the first
year i went to the school for the blind i had no idea clothes came from
anywhere but
-hand me downs from relatives
-yard sales
-my grandmothers and an aunt sewed them...

Lee
"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>> it seems my mom did this but i didn't realise it until i thought about
>> it, Lee

> Mine got things on a store account, cheap dept store. If we wanted clothes
> that didn't come from the op shops we had to choose from the store Mum had
> an account with.
>
>> "Jacquie" > wrote in message
>> m...
>>> We call them Lay-aways here. My kids would never had gotten toys if I
>>> couldn't do Lay-away.Sure helped a lot

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

i have no facts but my grandfather's dogs always did well and they were all
working dogs, Lee
"Robert Miles" > wrote in message
> I've read that dogs have somewhat short digestive tracts, and although
> they'll eat bread, they can't digest it well.
>

> On 12/20/2011 4:53 AM, Ozgirl wrote:
>>

>> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>>> so many people are struggling and somebody at food banks finally
>>> figured out that people could keep their pets and feed them if they
>>> took donations, without that people either surrender their animals or
>>> use food they could be eating to give to the animals, which helps
>>> nobody's nutrition... don't get me wrong, if your animals will ea t
>>> leftovers and they are otherwise healthy it doesn't hurt a single
>>> thing to supplement say a dog or cat with mashed potatoes and gravy if
>>> they will eat it, but that should only be a supplement, Lee

>> I remember a time when not only cigarettes and alcohol were on the list
>> of things you couldn't buy with food stamps but also animal food. An
>> animal can be a real source of comfort for people who are poor and
>> or/lonely.
>>
>> As you say, if necessary you can feed an animal leftovers for the short
>> term. Not ideal but better than having to surrender them. I found that
>> it was a good thing to always buy a bit of canned food every week to
>> keep away for lean times, ditto for the family too of course, lol.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

I prefer giving mostly time on my computers to BOINC projects,
especially those related to medical research, but also give
some money to those which need it.

I've found this BOINC project about the best introduction to
such projects:

http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/index.jsp

Click on each of the small pictures under the big picture to
see their various subprojects. If you want the one most
related to diabetes research, look for the one with Proteome
in its name; it works at such an early stage of medical
research that it usually isn't known yet just what conditions
they will be helping. Appears to be financed mostly by IBM.

Another even more related to diabetes research:

http://cbl-boinc-server2.cs.technion...inkattechnion/

Officially still in beta testing, but has lost so many of their
project staff that they now seldom change their software in any
visible way. Working on the genetics of various conditions,
with diabetes first on the list. Does not always have workunits
available, so it should not be your only BOINC project.

I've found more, but those look like the best start.

BOINC projects are intended to run in the background on your
computer(s), and make use of any computer time left over from
other things you do on the computer. Intended to avoid
interfering with your normal computer use, but I've found
that adding more memory can be needed to avoid such
interference.

Also, I've found this group, which allows you to choose which
educational project you want to help the most, and direct
donations the

http://www.donorschoose.org/

Appears to be aimed at schools in the US only.

Robert Miles

On 12/20/2011 1:10 PM, Jacquie wrote:
> My husband was in the AF for thirty years and the early years were very
> slim. We never bought gifts for each other until about 25 years ago.
> Then it was usually one gift. He now has retirement from the AF and is
> making good money teaching at a local Community College. So we now buy
> gifts for each other and the kids and Grandkids...why not when we can
> afford it....when he retires from the CC we will have to cut back but
> now we can live comfortably. We also give to many charities throughout
> the year and Christmas. For the past 15 years we have bought two bikes
> for Toys for Tots. We also give to the Local Community Food Bank...who
> can use the donations , especially in these times. We are so lucky the
> recession has not hit us and are able to give to those in need right
> now. We also give to many pet rescue groups. My husband and I both enjoy
> giving. We used to give our time to Charities, since we didn't have the
> money, but now my health keeps me from moving around a lot so we give
> money now, while we can....
>
> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>> when we got together we were too poor, and when we have extra at
>> christmas we usually give it to a charity, Lee

>>> My husband hasn't bought me anything for years. I used to buy for him
>>> but it makes him angry so I no longer does. Angela does but it's just
>>> a little token thing.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Storrmmee > wrote:
: i have no facts but my grandfather's dogs always did well and they were all
: working dogs, Lee
: "Robert Miles" > wrote in message
: ...
: > I've read that dogs have somewhat short digestive tracts, and although
: > they'll eat bread, they can't digest it well.
: >

My husband told me that when he was a boy his father had seeral dogs over
time and they alwasy had quite a bit of bread as part f their diet. Of
course, much of his youth was during the Depression so no one was in a
position to throw around meat.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

My mother made many of our clothes and preferred to present them
when they were ready instead of saving them for Christmas.

At least one of my sisters did the same for her children.

On 12/20/2011 6:17 PM, Ozgirl wrote:

> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>> it seems my mom did this but i didn't realise it until i thought about
>> it, Lee

> Mine got things on a store account, cheap dept store. If we wanted
> clothes that didn't come from the op shops we had to choose from the
> store Mum had an account with.
>
>> "Jacquie" > wrote in message
>> m...
>>> We call them Lay-aways here. My kids would never had gotten toys if I
>>> couldn't do Lay-away.Sure helped a lot

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Jacquie" > wrote in message
> In the "OLD" days you didn't get housing or housing money until you were a
> certain rank. Yes we got free medical care, but in those days it wasn't
> very good medical care, today is much better. There are still young
> families that qualify for food stamps. When hubby first went in there was
> no such thing as cost of living raises....that didn't happen until the
> early 80's .. Here is a Base Pay Chart for 2012
> http://www.militaryfactory.com/military_pay_scale.asp

Yes, some do qualify. Mostly young couples who have several children and
the wife doesn't work. But that is not the norm.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> "Susan" > wrote in message
>> x-o-archive: yes
>>
>> On 12/20/2011 5:39 PM, Jacquie wrote:
>>> In the "OLD" days you didn't get housing or housing money until you were
>>> a certain rank. Yes we got free medical care, but in those days it
>>> wasn't very good medical care, today is much better. There are still
>>> young families that qualify for food stamps. When hubby first went in
>>> there was no such thing as cost of living raises....that didn't happen
>>> until the early 80's .. Here is a Base Pay Chart for 2012
>>> http://www.militaryfactory.com/military_pay_scale.asp

>> I think some folks say different things on different days, too.

> And some folks like to stir the shit, let it go.

Yep, yep, yep!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> "Jacquie" > wrote in message
> m...
>> We got the clothes and stuff we needed too, plus a couple of toys. Our
>> stockings always had fruit and nuts in them, nothing else's...once and a
>> while maybe a couple of pieces of candy and a candy cane. We always used
>> one of our own stockings to hang(I always made sure it was the stockings
>> that went to the knee..LOL) we never had those red fuzzy stockings we
>> have today.

> I got Jasmine a little felt bag this year instead of the stocking, they
> are too awkward IMO. the bag is red with a handle and a Santa Motif on it.
> About the size of a library bag.
>
> I also bought a throwaway heavy paper "sack".

I like those felt bags. One year I got one or two for everyone. Some
people needed two because their presents were larger. I wrapped all the
presents that I put inside in tissue paper. That saved me a ton of money on
real wrapping paper and bows, especially since they gave me most of the bags
back to reuse which I did for several years. I still have a few out in the
garage and am going to use one for the scratching post I got for the cats.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>> it seems my mom did this but i didn't realise it until i thought about
>> it, Lee

> Mine got things on a store account, cheap dept store. If we wanted clothes
> that didn't come from the op shops we had to choose from the store Mum had
> an account with.

My parents were very big on Sears. I don't know why. My school dresses
were ordered from the catalog and I got to choose two each year from the
cheapest ones listed in the catalog. Why two? Because they were always
sold as two for something or other. I want to say 2 for $9.99 or maybe it
was $7.99. Very cheap. I also always had to have a dark skirt or jumper
and a white top or blouse to wear for concerts.

But there were many years when my mom had to make most of my clothes because
I was so tall and thin nothing on the rack fit me.

I do remember a couple of fortuitous occasions though. One was when White
Front went out of business. They were a huge discount department store
complete with a bakery where you could watch them make donuts. Everything
was marked down to next to nothing and I was allowed to have anything I
wanted. I chose a grey pinstriped dress and a brown one with pink and white
flowers that came with a white beaded necklace.

The following year (or maybe it was even the same year) Nordstrom's
changing. They had been just a shoe store but they combined with another
store to form a department store. All of the shoes were being sold for next
to nothing. Again, I could choose all that I wanted. But wearing a size 8
AA there wasn't much available. I chose a red pair of patent leather slip
ons with black grosgrain bows and another pair of black patent leather slip
ons. Better still I was allowed to wear those shoes to school!

My dad had very strong opinions on what constituted a good pair of school
shoes. And mainly it was that they could not bend. He would try to bend
the sole and if it would bend, he would say we could not have them. This
seemed to work pretty well for my brother who has flat feet. My dad also
has flat feet and hammer toes. So perhaps that sort of shoe works well for
a flat footed person. But I have high arches and overly flexible feet.
Those shoes did nothing but hurt my feet. He really loved the saddle shoes
for girls. I hated them because they were what the Catholic girls had to
wear. Few girls who went to public school ever wore the dreaded things and
I got made fun of a lot for them.

But to be allowed to wear clothes that I picked from a whole rack of
clothes, and shoes that I picked from a whole rack of shoes...heaven!

By the time I was 12, at least partway through that year was when I was
allowed to buy all of my clothes and shoes all the time. This after my mom
witnessed other kids laughing at me and calling me names for the outfit she
insisted I wear which involved red wool plaid knickers. The being made fun
of part didn't even bother me really because I have always wanted to be a
unique person. However the fact that I was being forced to wear something I
considered hideous really got to me. Worse still, my mom made the knickers
into shorts. Who wants wool shorts? Especially red plaid ones? Not me.

I have for the most part been very lucky with Angela. She is picky about
her clothes. For years she would only wear slip over knit dresses with no
buttons (unless purely decorative) and a fairly high neckline. Then there
was the 2 year period where she mainly only would wear blue. Then when we
moved here they were not allowed to wear dresses to school.

She switched to knit pants and crew neck T-Shirts, dabbling briefly in jeans
but deciding she didn't like them. These days she likes novelty T-Shirts
that have a dance theme, cats or currently the upcoming holiday and dance
pants. Mainly sweats. So I just look for these things on clearance and I
buy them for her. It is rare for her to give something away because she
doesn't like it. And rare for her to ask for things, although once in a
while she finds a seasonal shirt that she wants.

For Christmas I had ordered her some T-Shirts and sweat pants from Sugar and
Bruno (hip hop) and various dance catalogs. I order online. I don't ever
look at the actual catalogs. Then the catalogs came in the mail. She had
circled all these things that she wanted. I got lucky! Most of what she
had circled was what she wanted and I chose the right color too. She also
wanted some faux Ugg boots that look a little Ed Hardyish and say "Dance" on
them. They were not expensive so I got her those too. She is mostly
getting clothes this year.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> lol, i was twelve before i knew clothes came from a store... i knew
> underwear and socks came from sears, at christmas of course, and i knew in
> some of the farm stores there were bibs and coats... but until the first
> year i went to the school for the blind i had no idea clothes came from
> anywhere but
> -hand me downs from relatives
> -yard sales
> -my grandmothers and an aunt sewed them...

I thought most clothes came from Sears or somebody made them. My mom did a
lot of sewing. We had a department store called Everybody's. I do remember
going in there many times but I don't think we ever bought anything from
them.

I always wished I could get hand me downs but that never worked. I was sooo
tall and thin that nothing fit me. I had older cousins but I was taller
than they were. Then at about age 10 I got a hand me down bra. I was sooo
happy until I realized it wouldn't fit. The girl who gave it to me was thin
but I was still thinner. That's when I discovered the mall and all the
stores contained within. We did have a local mall but it was a dinky little
thing. My mom took me to Northgate (now a dinky mall in comparison to some
others) to the 5/7/9 shop which was recommended to her. Alas I was too
skinny even for size 5. We went from shop to shop only to be told there
were no bras in my size. I haven't a clue what my bust measurement was but
I had an 18" waist. What I wound up getting was a set of panties and bra in
yellow. The bra was just sort of like a cut off undershirt in a stretchy
fabric. I got made fun of for wearing the yellow panties. As I was
changing for gym a girl shouted out, "Hey! Did you pee your panties?" But
then later that week she wore green nail polish. So I asked her if she had
been picking her nose? She stopped making nasty comments to me.

I am very glad kids can't behave that way in school today. Not here anyway.
Sure I suppose good friends might make such comments to one another but in
general it is not allowed. They can expel a kid for making comments like
that to others.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Robert Miles" > wrote in message
> My mother made many of our clothes and preferred to present them
> when they were ready instead of saving them for Christmas.
>
> At least one of my sisters did the same for her children.

My grandmas often made us stuff for Christmas. One knitted and crocheted.
The other one tried that and failed miserably. She made us all slippers for
Christmas one year. Oh how I hated those knitted slippers! They were rough
to wear and yet slippery on a wood floor. When they got dirty, my mom
washed them out in the bathtub and hung them to dry. We all watched in
horror as they stretched to monstrous proportions. My dad's were the worst.
His grew to about 2 feet long. They never shrank back.

That grandma did sew though and one year she made me a pretty green velvet
dress with a white bib and a black tie around the waist.

Christmas menu? Julie Bove[_2_] General Cooking 519 21-12-2014 12:46 AM
our christmas menu Storrmmee Barbecue 2 25-12-2011 09:55 AM
Got our Christmas menu Julie Bove[_2_] Diabetic 9 21-12-2010 09:04 AM
What is your Christmas morning menu? mom0f4boys General Cooking 60 26-12-2006 07:15 PM
Christmas menu... Omelet General Cooking 2 16-12-2006 12:08 AM