Old 20-12-2011, 04:21 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Do you have a Christmas Menu?

"Jacquie" wrote in message
m...

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

"Ozgirl" wrote in message
No plans. We are postponing Christmas for a few months so we can have
something decent rather than half-arsed. I believe some young friends
and their toddler are coming over Christmas Eve for a BBQ but they are
just bringing a bit of meat and whatevers for themselves and my boys can
get what they want. My ex did say his girlfriend will bring a ham and
some cooked chickens over Christmas Day so probably throw a salad
together if they stay, which they probably will. We had dessert lined up
last year and no one ate any as we were too full and the ex and his GF
moved on to her daughter's house after eating here. I might just get
some fruit and we can cut it up if necessary.

My mom seems to have an idea that holidays are causing my dad to have
brain bleeds. So we have to minimize what we do. I think it is more a
matter of her not wanting to do much. But I could be wrong.

There comes a day when we older ones no longer want to "DO" holidays....A
few years ago I passed the holiday wand to my Daughter and Daughter
In-law, so I no longer had to do all of the holiday stuff. Now all I do is
buy gifts and enjoy the holidays and watch them run around all
harried...LOL. No I do help out but no longer have all of it on my
shoulders. I do serve New Years Day Dinner. We usually have Pork Roast and
Sauerkraut on that day.

She's not even buying or wrapping gifts. Just gift cards which is fine
because we don't really need anything.

Old 20-12-2011, 04:22 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" wrote in message

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

"Ozgirl" wrote in message
[...]

Either way, its the family get together that's more important than the
type of food or how much time is spent on making it special. Xmas can be
traumatic for a variety of reasons. We are absolutely stone broke this
Xmas but I am not depressed about it, as I know that we will get to do
Xmas, just not on Xmas Day . All family members have stated they are not
fussed about presents or a big Xmas spread etc. My one exception is to
fill a Santa bag and stocking for Jasmine.

Yeah. We're broke too. I had to really scale back on what I bought.

Old 20-12-2011, 04:23 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Jacquie" wrote in message
m...
We will be going to my Daughters house. She will be Brining and roasting a
turkey,(Her Dad, my hubby, always wants Turkey on Christmas) I will be
bringing a Nueski's Old Fashion Ham(we like them because they don't seem
as salty) My Son and his wife will be there along with my Grandkids, My
Daughters husbands family may come by for dessert. She will have the
typical side dishes. She does a lot of baking, so there will be breads and
pies. We will open presents after dinner. We used to go to my Sisters for
Christmas Eve, but got tired dodging drunks on the way home, so we just
have a nice quiet Christmas Eve at home. We just enjoy being with family,
especially the Grandkids. My husband will go above and beyond on my gifts
as he usually does. This year I will surprise him, I bought him a nice
flat screen TV for his bedroom wall...something he is not expecting

Nice!

Old 20-12-2011, 05:46 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

i lived, lol, Lee
"Julie Bove" wrote in message

"Storrmmee" wrote in message
if i get through this day i will be able to tolerate most anything, I
have a self image of being a strong survivor, right night now, still
breathing will do, Lee

Okay.

Old 20-12-2011, 05:52 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

what a great attitude, when i was a kid there were a few years where parents
didn't have a lot of money, so daddy would present us with a list of things
to choose from and we all got one family gift, the only one i remember is
the year we choose the pool table... pricey if purchased, but my dad went to
a pool supply house and bought felt, slate cups, and accessories, and built
the actual table, i was little enough i let older brother talk me into it
not having a clue what it was... its now living in the basement at my moms
and is over fourty years old and in great condition because he has replaced
the felt and rubbers a few times. Lee

Old 20-12-2011, 05:54 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

dh and i haven't ever been on the whole gift thing and without kids it costs
lots less, but staring at refurnishing a house is stress inducing, so even
if i had all the money i have ever spent on holidays i would still be
freaking, lol, Lee
"Julie Bove" wrote in message

Old 20-12-2011, 07:07 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" wrote in message
dh and i haven't ever been on the whole gift thing and without kids it
costs lots less, but staring at refurnishing a house is stress inducing,
so even if i had all the money i have ever spent on holidays i would still
be freaking, lol, Lee

My husband hasn't bought me anything for years. I used to buy for him but
it makes him angry so I no longer does. Angela does but it's just a little
token thing.

Old 20-12-2011, 07:28 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" wrote in message
i lived, lol, Lee

Well... I am surprised that I survived this day!

Some time ago we went into a new pet store in Edmonds and they had these
really nice cat scratching posts made of driftwood. Angela wanted to get
one for Ballerina and Jazzy but I didn't have the money then. I kept
putting it off. We were going to get one last week while at my parent's
house. They live in Edmonds but at the other end of the city from this
place. But then Angela was invited to a Bunco party that night so we didn't
have time to go there. I said we would go there today. But then...

I decided to assemble the towel holder that I ordered some time ago. I do
not have a proper linen closet. The person that designed this house during
the remodel was nuts. I have these two weird cupboards in my room that
aren't very useful for much of anything. I just use the lower one for
greeting cards (I always keep a supply onhand for those times when I need
one quickly) and presents for upcoming occasions. It's not big enough to
hold all of the Christmas presents this year. I didn't really get large
gifts but they won't all fit. It does hold the surprise ball. So picture
if you will something a little larger than a basketball. That's how
stupidly small the one cupboard is.

The cupboard above it will hold some linens but it isn't nearly big enough
for all our sheets, towels and extra blankets. Currently I only have
washcloths and hand towels in there. That's all that will fit! The bath
towels have been residing in a laundry basket and I am sick of that. So I
ordered a towel holder online. I waited and waited, only to have my order
cancelled. I then searched high and low for another one. Seems they are
not a common item. I found a nice, super expensive one but couldn't afford
it. Eventually found another one that was only a little more than I had
intended to pay for the first one.

The problem? They didn't give me any screws or nuts in the package. The
thing is made in China and I can't even remember now who I ordered it from.
I didn't want to wait the weeks it would take to find these people and try
to get screws and nuts from them. So that meant a trip to the hardware
store as well. Would have been fine but...

The only hardware store that was in Edmonds is no longer. According to what
I read online, their floor couldn't hold the weight and they were evacuating
after selling their stock at a 20% discount.

So that meant coming back out here. Either to Lowes in Mill Creek or Ace in
Everett. I opted for Ace because it is a much smaller store with perhaps
not better but quicker customer service and free popcorn!

Took us twice as long as normal to get to the pet store because of traffic.
But we did get to pet a nice huge tabby. Found the exact scratching post I
wanted. I had a dream about it the other night. Angela liked it too. Paid
for it. Picked it up and then knocked myself in the head with it. Saw some
stars. Angela said she would take it. She fared well until she got to the
door where she whacked it on the door frame. But it survived.

Started to drive back out this way. Traffic was just creeping! Start and
stop. Mainly stop. Our tummies began to rumble and my foot began to cramp.
I just kept thinking of the free popcorn. And the bathroom. They have one
in there.

Well by the time we got there they had cleaned the popcorn machine out for
the day. I should have demanded some because there is a sign boasting of
its freeness. They did have free coffee and water.

Used the bathroom then meandered around the screw aisle in a dither. Angela
actually found what were the correct screws but I couldn't figure it out.
Got a guy to help me. Turns out I would have needed him anyway because he
had to bag and label the items for me. Wasn't able to use my $10 off coupon
because I couldn't find anything else that we needed. Had to spend $50 to
get the discount. But I did get my military discount. Angela was mad
because she wanted food. I said I would buy her something if they had it,
but not candy. They had a little bit of food that wasn't candy but she was
either allergic or not interested. They did have a can of asparagus soup
that was self heating. Also tomato soup. They were $3.00. I didn't look
to see if she was allergic but she immediately turned up her nose so I
didn't. But I was rather interested to see how they heated up.

On to the grocery store for a few quick things then home for a quick dinner.
Then to assemble the towel holder.

This thing is made of metal and has decorative leaves in it. I can't tell
you how many times I klonked myself on the foot or the head with this thing.
Or how many times the leaves scraped my fingers. I tried to assemble it in
my computer chair. Then I realized there was no way I could do that. It
needed to be flat on the floor. Or so I thought. There were three posts
that went up the back. I would put them in. Ballerina would take them out.
Then Jazzy became interested and she too wanted to "help" me. I finally
had to call for Angela. I disliked having to do this because she isn't the
most willing participant when it comes to helping assemble things. But I
realized it was humanly impossible to have assembled this thing alone.
Perhaps an octopus could have done it. But they don't have fingers to grip
the screwdriver.

But it's finally done and in the bathroom. Now I just have to finish the
laundry so I can put the towels in. It had gotten to where I was washing
towels pretty much on an as needed basis because I didn't want to deal with
them!

Old 20-12-2011, 07:40 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" wrote in message
also could be he gets over excited, or another possiblity is denying his
real condition, Lee

He does have an anxiety disorder and my mom said he would get set off just
by the fact that we were coming over. Scurrying around to empty the sink of
any dishes and take out the trash. Then he would worry and stew if we
didn't arrive when we said we would. I am a very bad judge of time and
because of the way traffic can be, it can take as little as 15 minutes or
like today as much as an hour to get to their house.

But also I know that my mom hates cooking. And it is next to impossible for
us to come up with one meal we will all eat. I come from a family of picky
eaters. Add in the food allergies that three of us have, lactose
intolerance by one person, then the other food restrictions due to various
medical problems and what do you have? A big old mess! What has happened
in the past is that my mom has cooked two or three meats hoping to have
something for each of us. Then we bring the sides and desserts. But we
wind up with waaaay too much food and people wind up overeating and feeling
unwell. Which I guess is pretty typical for a Christmas meal but something
we need to avoid.

Angela and I went to the store tonight to get the expensive chocolate
covered cherries that my mom loves. They no longer carry them. In fact
they cut back on most of the candy they sell. Now they mostly have the bulk
stuff or individual bars. So I opted instead for a small bag of bulk
chocolate "rocks". They are small and remind me of fish tank gravel.
Everyone likes them and if one applies restraint one can have just a taste
and not overdo. I also got two kinds of gluten free cookies for Angela.
She couldn't make up her mind and I just wanted to go home and eat dinner so
I threw both kinds in the cart. And a very small bag of Walker's mini
shortbread. I think 6 of them had 18g of carb. I might be off on the carb
count. I don't remember exactly. Anyway I figured if I wanted to eat one,
then I could do that and it wouldn't be an overload of carbs.

But was this enough for my mom? No. She told me to bring some cookies for
the others. To which I replied, "Are you sure? In the past I have brought
cookies and nobody ate them!" Angela remembered it too. They had really
beautiful seasonal cookies at Central Market but when I looked at them she
told me not to even think about it because they wouldn't get eaten. I'm
thinking maybe I will get some sort of cheapish prepackaged cookies. Then
at least I won't lose so much money!

Old 20-12-2011, 07:53 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" wrote in message
when we got together we were too poor, and when we have extra at christmas
we usually give it to a charity, Lee

My husband used to give a lot to charity before we were married. We had a
food drive at work and he donated 2 whole shopping carts full of food. The
woman running the thing was stunned!

I wasn't able to give as much this year as I normally do. We gave some food
at Thanksgiving, mainly coupon items that we can not eat. Then $25 to
Albertsons to go to the food bank. Angela found $21 over the course of two
days. Some in a parking lot and some on the floor of another grocery store.
It upset her badly that she couldn't find the owner so I said we would
donate it. I added the rest.

We gave twice to Toys For Tots but the only food I've been able to donate
besides a lot of cat food was a box of crackers that I got for free with a
coupon.

I told Angela, "We are the poor this year!"

Christmas menu? Julie Bove[_2_] General Cooking 519 20-12-2014 11:46 PM
our christmas menu Storrmmee Barbecue 2 25-12-2011 08:55 AM
Got our Christmas menu Julie Bove[_2_] Diabetic 9 21-12-2010 08:04 AM
What is your Christmas morning menu? mom0f4boys General Cooking 60 26-12-2006 06:15 PM
Christmas menu... Omelet General Cooking 2 15-12-2006 11:08 PM