Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Do you have a Christmas Menu?

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Storrmmee > wrote:
> : i have no facts but my grandfather's dogs always did well and they were
> all
> : working dogs, Lee
> : "Robert Miles" > wrote in message
> : ...
> : > I've read that dogs have somewhat short digestive tracts, and although
> : > they'll eat bread, they can't digest it well.
> : >
>
> My husband told me that when he was a boy his father had seeral dogs over
> time and they alwasy had quite a bit of bread as part f their diet. Of
> course, much of his youth was during the Depression so no one was in a
> position to throw around meat.

I used to give Maui little bits of heavily buttered bread when she had
hairballs. Worked like a dream!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

exactly, and dogs forrage, and hunt and eat like cats do but most people
don't think of that, Lee
"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Storrmmee > wrote:
> : i have no facts but my grandfather's dogs always did well and they were
> all
> : working dogs, Lee
> : "Robert Miles" > wrote in message
> : ...
> : > I've read that dogs have somewhat short digestive tracts, and although
> : > they'll eat bread, they can't digest it well.
> : >
>
> My husband told me that when he was a boy his father had seeral dogs over
> time and they alwasy had quite a bit of bread as part f their diet. Of
> course, much of his youth was during the Depression so no one was in a
> position to throw around meat.
>
> Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

yup, and if you look at your neighbours, you will see who most likely
isn't eating a lot of fruit or food in general (aside from potatoes and
cheap carbs)

they can be older, or younger, or single parents, or the new home buyer
who just had a baby.......... i've never seen one of them NOT be very
excited over 'what someone did for them'!

during harvest seasons, i buy the case lot sizes........ they are
usually cheaper than buying 3 or 4 of the item and you get more than
double that......... those i make sure go over to the pensioners that i
know aren't buying these things

won't be too long, this will be our own reality

kate

On 12/20/2011 12:30 AM, Storrmmee wrote:
> when we got together we were too poor, and when we have extra at christmas
> we usually give it to a charity, Lee
> "Julie > wrote in message
>>
>> > wrote in message
>>> dh and i haven't ever been on the whole gift thing and without kids it
>>> costs lots less, but staring at refurnishing a house is stress inducing,
>>> so even if i had all the money i have ever spent on holidays i would
>>> still be freaking, lol, Lee

>> My husband hasn't bought me anything for years. I used to buy for him but
>> it makes him angry so I no longer does. Angela does but it's just a
>> little token thing.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 12/20/2011 12:58 AM, Storrmmee wrote:
> that is very good for angela, to let her know that giving can still be done
> even if you are using coupons to get free things to donate, you still do the
> work to use the coupon and get it to the food bank, Lee

1. never pay full retail

2. never look a gift horse in the mouth

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 12/20/2011 3:53 AM, Ozgirl wrote:
snip
> I remember a time when not only cigarettes and alcohol were on the list
> of things you couldn't buy with food stamps but also animal food. An
> animal can be a real source of comfort for people who are poor and
> or/lonely.
>
> As you say, if necessary you can feed an animal leftovers for the short
> term. Not ideal but better than having to surrender them. I found that
> it was a good thing to always buy a bit of canned food every week to
> keep away for lean times, ditto for the family too of course, lol.
> Amazing what you can live on out of a pantry for a fairly extended time.

snip

we carry 'emergency supplies' that will store for a LONG time

having said that, we try to ensure they are used and replaced on an
annual basis

this often means a couple weeks of the 'emergency supplies' that all of
us.......... well........... we are REALLY happy to get back to REAL
food, FRESH food, instead of canned anything (can i take that case of
canned green beans to the food bank? or do you think i'll get caught?)

lol

kate

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 12/20/2011 3:59 AM, Storrmmee wrote:
> one of the things i am looking forward to in getting back into the house is
> getting a decent food supply again, because of our work, i work hard all
> spring and summper tobuild up the stock so on those months when we don't
> make a lot we aren't hungry because we spent excess, i am going to have to
> work hard to control this because we haven't a freezer, or frig for that
> matter yet, Lee

Lee, my heart breaks over your loss this year, but i have to ask, isn't
insurance cooperating or? what is their problem??

kate
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

staring at refurnishing the house brings this home, our bills aren't high
except for the scrpt food for the cats... but i am a very frugal shopper so
as soon as i save enough for a freezer i will be sale shopping and bulk
cooking again, Lee
"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> yup, and if you look at your neighbours, you will see who most likely
> isn't eating a lot of fruit or food in general (aside from potatoes and
> cheap carbs)
>
> they can be older, or younger, or single parents, or the new home buyer
> who just had a baby.......... i've never seen one of them NOT be very
> excited over 'what someone did for them'!
>
> during harvest seasons, i buy the case lot sizes........ they are usually
> cheaper than buying 3 or 4 of the item and you get more than double
> that......... those i make sure go over to the pensioners that i know
> aren't buying these things
>
> won't be too long, this will be our own reality
>

> kate
>
> On 12/20/2011 12:30 AM, Storrmmee wrote:
>> when we got together we were too poor, and when we have extra at
>> christmas
>> we usually give it to a charity, Lee

>>> My husband hasn't bought me anything for years. I used to buy for him
>>> but
>>> it makes him angry so I no longer does. Angela does but it's just a
>>> little token thing.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

no kidding, Lee
"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> On 12/20/2011 12:58 AM, Storrmmee wrote:
>> that is very good for angela, to let her know that giving can still be
>> done
>> even if you are using coupons to get free things to donate, you still do
>> the
>> work to use the coupon and get it to the food bank, Lee

> 1. never pay full retail
>
> 2. never look a gift horse in the mouth

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

lol, Lee
"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> On 12/20/2011 3:53 AM, Ozgirl wrote:
> snip
>> I remember a time when not only cigarettes and alcohol were on the list
>> of things you couldn't buy with food stamps but also animal food. An
>> animal can be a real source of comfort for people who are poor and
>> or/lonely.
>>
>> As you say, if necessary you can feed an animal leftovers for the short
>> term. Not ideal but better than having to surrender them. I found that
>> it was a good thing to always buy a bit of canned food every week to
>> keep away for lean times, ditto for the family too of course, lol.
>> Amazing what you can live on out of a pantry for a fairly extended time.
>>

> snip
>
> we carry 'emergency supplies' that will store for a LONG time
>
> having said that, we try to ensure they are used and replaced on an annual
> basis
>
> this often means a couple weeks of the 'emergency supplies' that all of
> us.......... well........... we are REALLY happy to get back to REAL food,
> FRESH food, instead of canned anything (can i take that case of canned
> green beans to the food bank? or do you think i'll get caught?)
>
> lol
>
> kate

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

insurance did everything according to the book, it was my mental state that
caused most of the problems, we did our walk through on the house on monday,
i dilligently serched for every single little thing i could find wrong, and
i nagged dh and asked enough questions i swear he would have had a right to
smack me in the mouth... but there were only a few minor things that at
worst would have been irritating had we missed them... this weeks job is
getting the money from the accounts and giving the final check... after lots
of discussion and crying and other manic/paranoid behavoirs... we have opted
to use what money we have to get the thing paid for without barrowing more
money... this of course causes one to reconsider such luxuries as a bed and
toilet paper, lol, Lee, who is actually much better now
"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> On 12/20/2011 3:59 AM, Storrmmee wrote:
>> one of the things i am looking forward to in getting back into the house
>> is
>> getting a decent food supply again, because of our work, i work hard all
>> spring and summper tobuild up the stock so on those months when we don't
>> make a lot we aren't hungry because we spent excess, i am going to have
>> work hard to control this because we haven't a freezer, or frig for that
>> matter yet, Lee

> Lee, my heart breaks over your loss this year, but i have to ask, isn't
> insurance cooperating or? what is their problem??
>
> kate

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 12/20/2011 12:24 PM, Storrmmee wrote:
> my mom said the best part of christmas was the orange when she was a kid,
> lol, Lee

that went in the foot of the sock, then some nuts, bit of ribbon candy,
deck of cards, maybe a 'jacks' game or a pair of dice

HEAVEN!!!

kidlet got those and an advent calendar, stuffed with dental floss,
toothbrushes, toothpaste, those gold coin chocolates (stolen from
Channukah supplies), the odd Hot Wheel car...........it was amazing how
many practical 'gifts' he would appreciate (chap stick, yada, hand
warmer, etc LOL)

kate
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 12/20/2011 3:02 PM, Jacquie wrote:
> My Aunt lived in Idaho , had a pear tree , there is nothing like a ripe
> pear picked off the tree.....yummm.

or the "go sit outside to eat this peach" !!! OMG so good

kate
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 12/20/2011 3:24 AM, Ozgirl wrote:
> When my kids were young the stress was enormous. How can Santa let down
> a little kid? I always laybyed stuff earlier in the year. Layby's are
> generally only about 6 weeks but for toys they can be 6-8 months which
> is a huge help. 5 of my kids are adults and one is about to turn 17, so
> that leaves Jasmine who will be intellectually young forever. She is
> going on 16 but today I went out and bought her toys The others are
> happy enough to wait for a Xmas a few months down the track.

teenlet has been told he's cut off at 18

(that's from Aunts and uncles, not Mom and Dad and
Grandma............... we aren't telling him that! LOL)

kate
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

a great uncle went every year to georgia to get the first crop peaches...
every year i was spending time at my grandmother's, every year he would say
go eat all you want... every year i ate until i was either sick or soon
after, lol, Lee
"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> On 12/20/2011 3:02 PM, Jacquie wrote:
>> My Aunt lived in Idaho , had a pear tree , there is nothing like a ripe
>> pear picked off the tree.....yummm.

> or the "go sit outside to eat this peach" !!! OMG so good
>
> kate

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 12/20/2011 6:25 PM, Storrmmee wrote:
> lol, i was twelve before i knew clothes came from a store... i knew
> underwear and socks came from sears, at christmas of course, and i knew in
> some of the farm stores there were bibs and coats... but until the first
> year i went to the school for the blind i had no idea clothes came from
> anywhere but
> -hand me downs from relatives
> -yard sales
> -my grandmothers and an aunt sewed them...
>
> Lee

think i was about that age....... 14 rings some bells for me

Mom made my clothes until i was 8 yrs old, upon which i made my own
clothes and my brother's winter jackets (ok, 1 or 2 years later) and my
brother's clothes

it was JEANS, BELL BOTTOM JEANS that i wanted from the STORE

i made a nice pair :/

kate (bought her first store bought jeans at the age of 16) LOL

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

i was so freaked out i can tell you the total bill for me to start school
was $212.80... and that was fourty years ago, Lee
"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> On 12/20/2011 6:25 PM, Storrmmee wrote:
>> lol, i was twelve before i knew clothes came from a store... i knew
>> underwear and socks came from sears, at christmas of course, and i knew
>> in
>> some of the farm stores there were bibs and coats... but until the first
>> year i went to the school for the blind i had no idea clothes came from
>> anywhere but
>> -hand me downs from relatives
>> -yard sales
>> -my grandmothers and an aunt sewed them...
>>
>> Lee

> think i was about that age....... 14 rings some bells for me
>
> Mom made my clothes until i was 8 yrs old, upon which i made my own
> clothes and my brother's winter jackets (ok, 1 or 2 years later) and my
> brother's clothes
>
> it was JEANS, BELL BOTTOM JEANS that i wanted from the STORE
>
> i made a nice pair :/
>
> kate (bought her first store bought jeans at the age of 16) LOL

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 12/20/2011 10:07 PM, Storrmmee wrote:
> staring at refurnishing the house brings this home, our bills aren't high
> except for the scrpt food for the cats... but i am a very frugal shopper so
> as soon as i save enough for a freezer i will be sale shopping and bulk
> cooking again, Lee

only way to go Lee!

we garden as well

kate (garden keeps growing)
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

i would garden but every plant i touch dies quickly and painfully it seems,
lol, but my mom and now sister garden so i get fresh stuff anyway, lol, Lee
"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> On 12/20/2011 10:07 PM, Storrmmee wrote:
>> staring at refurnishing the house brings this home, our bills aren't high
>> except for the scrpt food for the cats... but i am a very frugal shopper
>> so
>> as soon as i save enough for a freezer i will be sale shopping and bulk
>> cooking again, Lee

> only way to go Lee!
>
> we garden as well
>
> kate (garden keeps growing)

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

sigh, back to scratch and moving forward..........

those queen sized air beds that self inflate/deflate run about $35 at
CostCo here

i've used that for 'those moments in life' and for guests and for
camping and for.......... the air bed is in the survival kit now

kate

On 12/20/2011 10:12 PM, Storrmmee wrote:
> insurance did everything according to the book, it was my mental state that
> caused most of the problems, we did our walk through on the house on monday,
> i dilligently serched for every single little thing i could find wrong, and
> i nagged dh and asked enough questions i swear he would have had a right to
> smack me in the mouth... but there were only a few minor things that at
> worst would have been irritating had we missed them... this weeks job is
> getting the money from the accounts and giving the final check... after lots
> of discussion and crying and other manic/paranoid behavoirs... we have opted
> to use what money we have to get the thing paid for without barrowing more
> money... this of course causes one to reconsider such luxuries as a bed and
> toilet paper, lol, Lee, who is actually much better now
> "Tiger > wrote in message
>> On 12/20/2011 3:59 AM, Storrmmee wrote:
>>> one of the things i am looking forward to in getting back into the house
>>> is
>>> getting a decent food supply again, because of our work, i work hard all
>>> spring and summper tobuild up the stock so on those months when we don't
>>> make a lot we aren't hungry because we spent excess, i am going to have
>>> work hard to control this because we haven't a freezer, or frig for that
>>> matter yet, Lee

>> Lee, my heart breaks over your loss this year, but i have to ask, isn't
>> insurance cooperating or? what is their problem??
>>
>> kate

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 12/20/2011 10:20 PM, Storrmmee wrote:
> a great uncle went every year to georgia to get the first crop peaches...
> every year i was spending time at my grandmother's, every year he would say
> go eat all you want... every year i ate until i was either sick or soon
> after, lol, Lee

evil UNCLE!!!

well, i had gone to BC's orchard valley and picked up a couple pounds of
cherries

as a child we got 5...... FIVE cherries and that was it

well, here i was, 2 POUNDS of cherries..........thought i died and gone
to heaven

few hours later........ just thought i had died by inversion

kate

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

one of the things we salvaged were two air beds, so we will probably use
those, both are full so not enough room for us on one, Lee
"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> sigh, back to scratch and moving forward..........
>
> those queen sized air beds that self inflate/deflate run about $35 at
> CostCo here
>
> i've used that for 'those moments in life' and for guests and for camping
> and for.......... the air bed is in the survival kit now
>
> kate
>
> On 12/20/2011 10:12 PM, Storrmmee wrote:
>> insurance did everything according to the book, it was my mental state
>> that
>> caused most of the problems, we did our walk through on the house on
>> monday,
>> i dilligently serched for every single little thing i could find wrong,
>> and
>> i nagged dh and asked enough questions i swear he would have had a right
>> smack me in the mouth... but there were only a few minor things that at
>> worst would have been irritating had we missed them... this weeks job is
>> getting the money from the accounts and giving the final check... after
>> lots
>> of discussion and crying and other manic/paranoid behavoirs... we have
>> opted
>> to use what money we have to get the thing paid for without barrowing
>> more
>> money... this of course causes one to reconsider such luxuries as a bed
>> and
>> toilet paper, lol, Lee, who is actually much better now
>>>
>>> Lee, my heart breaks over your loss this year, but i have to ask, isn't
>>> insurance cooperating or? what is their problem??
>>>
>>> kate

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 12/20/2011 10:30 PM, Storrmmee wrote:
> i was so freaked out i can tell you the total bill for me to start school
> was $212.80... and that was fourty years ago, Lee

whoa........... was that store bought clothes or home made??

i forget how old i was when buying the materials actually cost more than
buying the finished item in a shop

i do sew when i'm being uber fussy, but often i can take a store bought
and finish the seams better, etc, and still save money over making it
from scratch!

high end 2nd hand clothes stores also give you this advantage...........
do i care that it's 2 years old? not really LOL

kate
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

exactly, and it just shows you i have NO sense when it comes to fresh fruit,
Lee
"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> On 12/20/2011 10:20 PM, Storrmmee wrote:
>> a great uncle went every year to georgia to get the first crop peaches...
>> every year i was spending time at my grandmother's, every year he would
>> say
>> go eat all you want... every year i ate until i was either sick or soon
>> after, lol, Lee

> evil UNCLE!!!
>
> well, i had gone to BC's orchard valley and picked up a couple pounds of
> cherries
>
> as a child we got 5...... FIVE cherries and that was it
>
> well, here i was, 2 POUNDS of cherries..........thought i died and gone to
> heaven
>
> few hours later........ just thought i had died by inversion
>
> kate

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

that was everything from k mart iirc, from underwear to socks, shoes and
school clothes, then we went through what i had at home and off i went to
school, Lee
"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> On 12/20/2011 10:30 PM, Storrmmee wrote:
>> i was so freaked out i can tell you the total bill for me to start school
>> was $212.80... and that was fourty years ago, Lee

> whoa........... was that store bought clothes or home made??
>
> i forget how old i was when buying the materials actually cost more than
> buying the finished item in a shop
>
> i do sew when i'm being uber fussy, but often i can take a store bought
> and finish the seams better, etc, and still save money over making it from
> scratch!
>
> high end 2nd hand clothes stores also give you this advantage...........
> do i care that it's 2 years old? not really LOL
>
> kate

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Jacquie" > wrote in message
> I'm sure you told me before but my memory isn't as good as it used to be.
> What rank is your husband? My was an E-9 when he retired. My Son just made
> E-7, he will probably retire at that rank.

E9. Just like Henry's meter strips.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 12/20/2011 11:17 PM, Storrmmee wrote:
> one of the things we salvaged were two air beds, so we will probably use
> those, both are full so not enough room for us on one, Lee

hint: put blankets or padding UNDER the air bed to keep it warmer!
even that thin reflective material makes a difference, but that's more $
to spend when you can probably buy used goodwill/St Vincent
blankets/quilts for FAR less

**hugs**

kate
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Jacquie" > wrote in message
m...
> You would be surprised how many lower rank service members are married. My
> Husband was a e-2 when we married and we lived on $190.00 a month. That
> was 43 years ago....I could also buy groceries for two weeks for $15.00.
> We didn't have a lot but we had each other, I was 17 and he was 21.

I don't think I've ever bought groceries that cheaply. My husband was E7
when we got married. I was 35 and he was 31.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 12/20/2011 11:19 PM, Storrmmee wrote:
> that was everything from k mart iirc, from underwear to socks, shoes and
> school clothes, then we went through what i had at home and off i went to
> school, Lee

underwear and socks - Christmas
shoes and 1 outfit - back to school
another outfit - Birthday
anything missed - Christmas LOL

kate
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> yup, and if you look at your neighbours, you will see who most likely
> isn't eating a lot of fruit or food in general (aside from potatoes and
> cheap carbs)
>
> they can be older, or younger, or single parents, or the new home buyer
> who just had a baby.......... i've never seen one of them NOT be very
> excited over 'what someone did for them'!
>
> during harvest seasons, i buy the case lot sizes........ they are usually
> cheaper than buying 3 or 4 of the item and you get more than double
> that......... those i make sure go over to the pensioners that i know
> aren't buying these things
>
> won't be too long, this will be our own reality
>

> kate

I have a neighbor who is a single mother. She's from South America but
served in our Navy. The way she talks she is very poor and very cheap. But
she does own her own house. And in this area you just can't do that if
you're poor. Granted she did buy it before we bought ours so the price
would have been cheaper.

She is a staunch low carber. They eat a ton of chicken and steak. She told
me that her daughter who is Angela's age eats a huge steak for breakfast
every morning. Steak is not something we can buy often. When I do buy them
they are not huge and I usually get the thin sliced for Sukyaki.

But what really gets me is all the fruit she lets go to waste. They have
apple and pear trees and also grape vines. She doesn't pick or eat any of
it. Perhaps because she *is* a low carber. But you'd think she would at
least offer it up to the neighbors or something. That's what I did when I
had excess produce. But no. We watch it fall and rot. I have been tempted
to pick the grapes that poke through the fence.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> staring at refurnishing the house brings this home, our bills aren't high
> except for the scrpt food for the cats... but i am a very frugal shopper
> so as soon as i save enough for a freezer i will be sale shopping and bulk
> cooking again, Lee

Our freezer is causing us trouble! I would have preferred an upright but we
haven't the space or money for one. There are shelves in the garage above
where the chest freezer is. That's why the upright wouldn't fit.

A few weeks ago, I had to remove most of the contents as you do with a chest
freezer and left out a partially used box of taquitos. I found them a few
days later.

Then on Sunday, Angela was putting away the stuff from Costco. She took out
the refrigerated mashed potatoes, set them on the floor and put the frozen
stuff away. She would have had to step over the potatoes to get back in the
house. Gah! I had to replace them today because it hasn't been cold enough
here in the past few days to feel that they would be safe to eat. So I paid
$5 for them at Costco and had to pay $6 for the same amount at Albertsons.
Not a big amount but still...I am trying to save money.

Yes, I know if I made the potatoes from scratch I would save more money. Or
maybe I wouldn't. You see... I don't do well with potatoes. I buy them
then they sit. And most of the time I don't seem to use them in time so
they rot. Which is why I just buy the made up ones unless I am specifically
planning to use potatoes that night or in the upcoming few days.

Amazingly the potatoes I bought back in July are still good. They are in
the fridge. I am going to make vegetable soup with them when my husband
gets home. Angela doesn't really like soup so I haven't forced her to eat
it. But I got some Texas Toast with a coupon. I figure that will go well
with soup. I can just do some toasted gluten free bread with parmesan and
garlic on it for Angela.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> On 12/20/2011 12:58 AM, Storrmmee wrote:
>> that is very good for angela, to let her know that giving can still be
>> done
>> even if you are using coupons to get free things to donate, you still do
>> the
>> work to use the coupon and get it to the food bank, Lee

> 1. never pay full retail

I do. But... I have been doing most of my grocery shopping at Winco and
Walmart and their full retail can be half the price or less than other
stores. I am careful what I buy there though. Not so much in the way of
meats. Lunch meats, fine. We don't eat a lot of that. I eat hardly any.
I like grass fed beef and Angela likes organic chicken. That's not cheap
and not usually on sale. I also don't like using meat that has been frozen.
I do cook some and freeze individual portions. That's fine. But I don't
like cooking it from frozen or trying to thaw out the frozen meat. So I
rarely do that. That reminds me. Need to thaw that turkey leg for my
husband. There was one left that he didn't eat.

> 2. never look a gift horse in the mouth

Well I can't say that I do that. I tend to get a LOT of gifts I have no use
for at all. Nor anyone I can re-gift them to. I don't know why but I tend
to get a lot of bedding. I did ask for flannel sheets one year some many
years ago. But in recent years I haven't asked for any and I don't need
any. But I have gotten countless blankets including an electric one and a
set of sheets. All the wrong sizes for my bed. I say sizes because the
same people have bought me various different sizes and none of them the
right one! We do have a twin, double and Queen bed in this house. And King
sized things will work on the Queen bed. I don't know why but if I try to
put actual Queen sized on that bed, the sheets keep popping off. It's as
though they're a bit too small. King is a little large but seems to get a
better fit. So really if I get the wrong size whatever, somebody else will
have a bed that size. But... Nobody in the house needs any bedding at all.
So hopefully we won't be getting any this year. I just gave away a bunch of
it all still in the package. I hated to do that but I also just don't have
the space to store that stuff until we do need it. And it wasn't really to
my taste anyway.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message

> this often means a couple weeks of the 'emergency supplies' that all
> of us.......... well........... we are REALLY happy to get back to
> REAL food, FRESH food, instead of canned anything (can i take that
> case of canned green beans to the food bank? or do you think i'll get
> caught?)

Speaking of foods banks.. big sign in the Library at the moment saying
that they will waive any overdue fees this month if you bring in some
canned food for charity With a few underlines under the word
"canned", lol.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> On 12/20/2011 3:53 AM, Ozgirl wrote:
> snip
>> I remember a time when not only cigarettes and alcohol were on the list
>> of things you couldn't buy with food stamps but also animal food. An
>> animal can be a real source of comfort for people who are poor and
>> or/lonely.
>>
>> As you say, if necessary you can feed an animal leftovers for the short
>> term. Not ideal but better than having to surrender them. I found that
>> it was a good thing to always buy a bit of canned food every week to
>> keep away for lean times, ditto for the family too of course, lol.
>> Amazing what you can live on out of a pantry for a fairly extended time.
>>

> snip
>
> we carry 'emergency supplies' that will store for a LONG time
>
> having said that, we try to ensure they are used and replaced on an annual
> basis
>
> this often means a couple weeks of the 'emergency supplies' that all of
> us.......... well........... we are REALLY happy to get back to REAL food,
> FRESH food, instead of canned anything (can i take that case of canned
> green beans to the food bank? or do you think i'll get caught?)
>
> lol

We used to do that when we lived on Staten Island. I had suitcases packed
in case we had to evacuate.
We all hated the times when we had to eat up that food. Mainly what I
packed away was stuff we wouldn't normally eat but wouldn't object to as
emergency food. There were green beans though. Angela and I love those and
will eat them straight from the can. Not my husband though. He will eat
them but requires them to be heated.

I do not keep suitcases here. Yes, disaster may befall us but I think if we
did have to evacuate for some reason here we would probably have at least a
few hour's notice. I keep suitcases under our beds and I have plenty of
insulated bags so we could quickly pack some stuff and go.

I used to keep a suitcase in the back of my vehicle during the winter after
getting stuck at work during a bad snowstorm. I was one of the few fool
enough to venture out in the snow. My friend offered to let several of us
stay at her house but she lived about 2 miles away. Well walking two miles
in the blowing snow is no good!

I did work at a store so I was able to buy a scarf, undies, and a few
toiletries for the morning. But I didn't think to buy any food. Not that I
would want to haul food for two miles. My friend was a drinker. She made
us all hot toddies (yuck) but there was no food after work and no food in
the morning. And by the time we got to work, we were a little late. I
would have thought our boss would have been grateful that we had arrived at
all and given us at least 10 minutes even if on our own time to get a bite
to eat. But no! And he didn't even let us take a break because we were so
short on help.

I figured after that I would be prepared. I had a nightgown, spare clothes,
food, toiletries. And do you think I needed them? Of course not.

Now I try not to go out in bad weather. But if we have to, we always bring
coats and gloves, drinks and some food.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> insurance did everything according to the book, it was my mental state
> that caused most of the problems, we did our walk through on the house
> on monday, i dilligently serched for every single little thing i could
> find wrong, and i nagged dh and asked enough questions i swear he
> would have had a right to smack me in the mouth... but there were only
> a few minor things that at worst would have been irritating had we
> missed them... this weeks job is getting the money from the accounts
> and giving the final check... after lots of discussion and crying and
> other manic/paranoid behavoirs... we have opted to use what money we
> have to get the thing paid for without barrowing more money... this of
> course causes one to reconsider such luxuries as a bed and toilet
> paper, lol, Lee, who is actually much better now

lol @ the bed and toilet paper

Hope you continue to feel better.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> sigh, back to scratch and moving forward..........
>
> those queen sized air beds that self inflate/deflate run about $35 at
> CostCo here
>
> i've used that for 'those moments in life' and for guests and for
> camping and for.......... the air bed is in the survival kit now

And be careful of the inflation levels, lol. My eldest daughter and
myself shared one at my son's house one night. When she sat down I
bounced onto the floor. All night any time one of us rolled over the
other bounced out.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> sigh, back to scratch and moving forward..........
>
> those queen sized air beds that self inflate/deflate run about $35 at
> CostCo here
>
> i've used that for 'those moments in life' and for guests and for camping
> and for.......... the air bed is in the survival kit now
>
> kate

My BIL had one of those. Worked fine for a while but then kept getting
holes in it.

I don't mind sleeping on the floor. When we moved in here we had to do it
for weeks while waiting for our furniture to arrive. I did buy egg crate
mattress pads and cheap blankets to cover them with. And we had sleeping
bags. But it was summer and super hot so we just used them for cushioning.

But toilet paper? I think I would need that. Unless maybe I could use a
sport top type water bottle as a makeshift bidet. I had to do that after
Angela was born and had to go back into the hospital. I had failed to bring
my peri bottle with me.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> On 12/20/2011 12:24 PM, Storrmmee wrote:
>> my mom said the best part of christmas was the orange when she was a
>> kid,
>> lol, Lee

> that went in the foot of the sock, then some nuts, bit of ribbon
> candy, deck of cards, maybe a 'jacks' game or a pair of dice
>
> HEAVEN!!!
>
> kidlet got those and an advent calendar, stuffed with dental floss,
> toothbrushes, toothpaste, those gold coin chocolates (stolen from
> Channukah supplies), the odd Hot Wheel car...........it was amazing
> how many practical 'gifts' he would appreciate (chap stick, yada, hand
> warmer, etc LOL)

laser torches...

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> On 12/20/2011 3:24 AM, Ozgirl wrote:
>> When my kids were young the stress was enormous. How can Santa let
>> down
>> a little kid? I always laybyed stuff earlier in the year. Layby's are
>> generally only about 6 weeks but for toys they can be 6-8 months
>> which
>> is a huge help. 5 of my kids are adults and one is about to turn 17,
>> so
>> that leaves Jasmine who will be intellectually young forever. She is
>> going on 16 but today I went out and bought her toys The others
>> are
>> happy enough to wait for a Xmas a few months down the track.

> teenlet has been told he's cut off at 18
>
> (that's from Aunts and uncles, not Mom and Dad and
> Grandma............... we aren't telling him that! LOL)
>
> kate

Mine still want the sack, lol. Even my 33 yr old daughter! But the sack
is for Jasmine and the grandkids.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> On 12/20/2011 12:24 PM, Storrmmee wrote:
>> my mom said the best part of christmas was the orange when she was a
>> kid,
>> lol, Lee

> that went in the foot of the sock, then some nuts, bit of ribbon candy,
> deck of cards, maybe a 'jacks' game or a pair of dice
>
> HEAVEN!!!
>
> kidlet got those and an advent calendar, stuffed with dental floss,
> toothbrushes, toothpaste, those gold coin chocolates (stolen from
> Channukah supplies), the odd Hot Wheel car...........it was amazing how
> many practical 'gifts' he would appreciate (chap stick, yada, hand warmer,
> etc LOL)
>
> kate

Heh! People keep buying Angela Jacks. I think my mom was doing it year
after year just as she did for me. She always forgets from one year to the
next what she has bought. I finally had to tell her to quit putting needles
in my stocking! I don't sew. And I had dozens of packs of those. Angela
got more Jacks this last year from her cousin. She was like... Why do
people keep buying me these? Kids don't use them these days. And even in
my day I didn't see the appeal. My mom loved them. Me? Not so much.

I had to really try hard to come up with new items for the surprise ball
this year. I don't want to keep putting the same things in it year after
year. I did put some nail clippers in but these are the deluxe ones with
the purple cushiony covering. I don't think the others go through clippers
like we do. Clippers are just doomed in our house. They either get lost or
broken.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>a great uncle went every year to georgia to get the first crop peaches...
>every year i was spending time at my grandmother's, every year he would say
>go eat all you want... every year i ate until i was either sick or soon
>after, lol, Lee

My dad used to do that every year with plumg. He would gorge on them and
then... Well... It wasn't good.

Christmas menu? Julie Bove[_2_] General Cooking 519 21-12-2014 12:46 AM
our christmas menu Storrmmee Barbecue 2 25-12-2011 09:55 AM
Got our Christmas menu Julie Bove[_2_] Diabetic 9 21-12-2010 09:04 AM
What is your Christmas morning menu? mom0f4boys General Cooking 60 26-12-2006 07:15 PM
Christmas menu... Omelet General Cooking 2 16-12-2006 12:08 AM