Old 20-12-2011, 08:56 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Do you have a Christmas Menu?

"Storrmmee" wrote in message
what a great attitude, when i was a kid there were a few years where
parents didn't have a lot of money, so daddy would present us with a list
of things to choose from and we all got one family gift, the only one i
remember is the year we choose the pool table... pricey if purchased, but
my dad went to a pool supply house and bought felt, slate cups, and
accessories, and built the actual table, i was little enough i let older
brother talk me into it not having a clue what it was... its now living in
the basement at my moms and is over fourty years old and in great
condition because he has replaced the felt and rubbers a few times. Lee

I didn't realize it when I was a kid but most of what Santa gave us were
necessary items. Pajamas, maybe a robe, always socks and underwear. Once
in a while I would get a new dress and my brother would usually get pants
and a shirt. Toothbrushes in our stockings.

When Angela was little she always expected Santa to put things in all of our
stockings. For mine I would either buy things that I knew I would be
needing or I would find extras of things around the house and just put them
in there. She never knew. She just thought Santa did a good job of giving
me what I needed!

Old 20-12-2011, 08:58 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

that is very good for angela, to let her know that giving can still be done
even if you are using coupons to get free things to donate, you still do the
work to use the coupon and get it to the food bank, Lee
"Julie Bove" wrote in message

"Storrmmee" wrote in message
when we got together we were too poor, and when we have extra at
christmas we usually give it to a charity, Lee

My husband used to give a lot to charity before we were married. We had a
food drive at work and he donated 2 whole shopping carts full of food.
The woman running the thing was stunned!

I wasn't able to give as much this year as I normally do. We gave some
food at Thanksgiving, mainly coupon items that we can not eat. Then $25
to Albertsons to go to the food bank. Angela found $21 over the course of
two days. Some in a parking lot and some on the floor of another grocery
store. It upset her badly that she couldn't find the owner so I said we
would donate it. I added the rest.

We gave twice to Toys For Tots but the only food I've been able to donate
besides a lot of cat food was a box of crackers that I got for free with a
coupon.

I told Angela, "We are the poor this year!"

Old 20-12-2011, 08:59 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" wrote in message
type OOO i meant inadept, or unadept, lol, Lee

Heh!

Old 20-12-2011, 09:22 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" wrote in message
that is very good for angela, to let her know that giving can still be
done even if you are using coupons to get free things to donate, you still
do the work to use the coupon and get it to the food bank, Lee

Yes. We get a lot of coupons we can't use and also store coupons on
occasion for free things we can't eat. And apparently there is a huge need
for cat food this year. We saw a cat food donation bin today. I tried to
find one last year and couldn't. Nice to know that the regular food bank
will take it. I stocked up on food the other day and screwed up as to the
kind I bought. They will only eat tuna and only certain kinds. I bought
the wrong kind and they wouldn't touch it. So it went off to the food bank
along with the BG kind. I really thought they would like that!

Old 20-12-2011, 11:07 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

so many people are struggling and somebody at food banks finally figured out
that people could keep their pets and feed them if they took donations,
without that people either surrender their animals or use food they could be
eating to give to the animals, which helps nobody's nutrition... don't get
me wrong, if your animals will ea t leftovers and they are otherwise healthy
it doesn't hurt a single thing to supplement say a dog or cat with mashed
potatoes and gravy if they will eat it, but that should only be a
supplement, Lee

Old 20-12-2011, 11:17 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" wrote in message
so many people are struggling and somebody at food banks finally figured
out that people could keep their pets and feed them if they took
donations, without that people either surrender their animals or use food
they could be eating to give to the animals, which helps nobody's
nutrition... don't get me wrong, if your animals will ea t leftovers and
they are otherwise healthy it doesn't hurt a single thing to supplement
say a dog or cat with mashed potatoes and gravy if they will eat it, but
that should only be a supplement, Lee

Except if there's onions in there. Funny thing is in the old days that is
all the animals got. There was no pet food.

Maui LOVED mashed potatoes. That was one of her favorite foods. The two
cats we have now don't seem to recognize human food as being edible to them.
I have tried to feed them meat. They won't have it. But Ballerina has
shown interest occasionally in what Angela is eating. She will look excited
and sniff it. But they never beg like Maui did. Heck, she would just hit
me with her paw until I gave her what she wanted.

Old 20-12-2011, 11:24 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

When my kids were young the stress was enormous. How can Santa let down
a little kid? I always laybyed stuff earlier in the year. Layby's are
generally only about 6 weeks but for toys they can be 6-8 months which
is a huge help. 5 of my kids are adults and one is about to turn 17, so
that leaves Jasmine who will be intellectually young forever. She is
going on 16 but today I went out and bought her toys The others are
happy enough to wait for a Xmas a few months down the track.

"Storrmmee" wrote in message
what a great attitude, when i was a kid there were a few years where
parents didn't have a lot of money, so daddy would present us with a
list of things to choose from and we all got one family gift, the only
one i remember is the year we choose the pool table... pricey if
purchased, but my dad went to a pool supply house and bought felt,
slate cups, and accessories, and built the actual table, i was little
enough i let older brother talk me into it not having a clue what it
was... its now living in the basement at my moms and is over fourty
years old and in great condition because he has replaced the felt and
rubbers a few times. Lee
"Ozgirl" wrote in message

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

"Ozgirl" wrote in message
No plans. We are postponing Christmas for a few months so we can
have something decent rather than half-arsed. I believe some young
friends and their toddler are coming over Christmas Eve for a BBQ
but they are just bringing a bit of meat and whatevers for
themselves and my boys can get what they want. My ex did say his
girlfriend will bring a ham and some cooked chickens over Christmas
Day so probably throw a salad together if they stay, which they
probably will. We had dessert lined up last year and no one ate any
as we were too full and the ex and his GF moved on to her
daughter's house after eating here. I might just get some fruit and
we can cut it up if necessary.

My mom seems to have an idea that holidays are causing my dad to
have brain bleeds. So we have to minimize what we do. I think it
is more a matter of her not wanting to do much. But I could be
wrong.

Either way, its the family get together that's more important than
the type of food or how much time is spent on making it special. Xmas
can be traumatic for a variety of reasons. We are absolutely stone
broke this Xmas but I am not depressed about it, as I know that we
will get to do Xmas, just not on Xmas Day . All family members have
stated they are not fussed about presents or a big Xmas spread etc.
My one exception is to fill a Santa bag and stocking for Jasmine.

Old 20-12-2011, 11:34 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

until the late fourties there were no commerical pet foods at all, iirc...
My grandfather raised hunting dogs of differing kinds, my grandmother had a
milk cow, and made all manner of bread from sourdough and corn meal, there
were buckets that the food was put in, and she fed them in a tractor tire
that was cut in half in the yard, she would put the scraps/leftovers down,
then cover with the oldest milk, Lee

Old 20-12-2011, 11:36 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" wrote in message
When my kids were young the stress was enormous. How can Santa let down a
little kid? I always laybyed stuff earlier in the year. Layby's are
generally only about 6 weeks but for toys they can be 6-8 months which is
a huge help. 5 of my kids are adults and one is about to turn 17, so that
leaves Jasmine who will be intellectually young forever. She is going on
16 but today I went out and bought her toys The others are happy enough
to wait for a Xmas a few months down the track.

Even though Angela has pretty much outgrown toys, I still feel like I should
get her some. I got a few little things for the stocking. And I got her a
thingie that talks. It's a therapist. Makes comments to you in kind of a
smart assed way. I figured she would like that.

Old 20-12-2011, 11:37 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

you have obiosly raised your children correctly owing to the fact they are
willing to wait and are supporting you with jasmine... btw i think of you
every time one of the cleaning staff comes to do our room... they are
variying levels of adulthood and comptence, and several will have permanent
job coaches, but they are all almost with some level of mental/intellectual
handicap Lee

Old 20-12-2011, 11:43 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Sounds like a wonderful idea. My aunt used to take a little girl from a
kids' home every school holidays. At Christmas she gave as much to the
little girl as she did her own 4 kids including enough new clothes to
last a year. Took her to the beach, zoos, museums, parks, whatever -
even their annual family holiday. When she first started I was quite
young but I heard murmurings, like why spoil the kid so much when she
would have to go back to the home after that first wonderful Christmas.
But my aunt took that little girl until she was old enough to leave the
home and live independently and they still have contact. She would be
late 50's now (the little girl). I always hoped they would adopt her but
I don't know if they ever considered it or if they did there was some
reason why they weren't allowed to. But the girl had as close as the
real family thing in her life for quite a few years that she may never
had had.

One of her daughter's (my cousin) worked for years in a home for adults
with intellectual disabilities, on an island! as paymaster and every
Christmas she brought one guy home for Christmas lunch, ditto Easter,
his birthday and other times just for a weekend. He has sadly passed
away now but he thought my aunt, cousin and the rest of their family
were his family Even though my cousin was an adult he called my aunt
"mum"

"Storrmmee" wrote in message
when we got together we were too poor, and when we have extra at
christmas we usually give it to a charity, Lee
"Julie Bove" wrote in message

"Storrmmee" wrote in message
dh and i haven't ever been on the whole gift thing and without kids
it costs lots less, but staring at refurnishing a house is stress
inducing, so even if i had all the money i have ever spent on
holidays i would still be freaking, lol, Lee

My husband hasn't bought me anything for years. I used to buy for
him but it makes him angry so I no longer does. Angela does but it's
just a little token thing.

Old 20-12-2011, 11:47 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

When we lived in NSw there were a few times I had to use the local
charity for food. In between, if I was ever cashed up a bit I bought a
few things and dropped them off there. They are always appreciative of
anything no matter how small. These days they give out plastic
supermarket gift cards but I know they also have a fridge and freezer
stocked with some immediate essentials like milk, bread and butter etc.
For a time there they gave you part groceries and part store card.

Old 20-12-2011, 11:48 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

my DH was adopted as a baby, and a couple of times their family got a boy
from the orpanage near them for a holiday, but when they started the kids
were older, it didn't work out well, but dh was proud as he was remembering
his father for trying, Lee

Old 20-12-2011, 11:53 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" wrote in message
so many people are struggling and somebody at food banks finally
figured out that people could keep their pets and feed them if they
took donations, without that people either surrender their animals or
use food they could be eating to give to the animals, which helps
nobody's nutrition... don't get me wrong, if your animals will ea t
leftovers and they are otherwise healthy it doesn't hurt a single
thing to supplement say a dog or cat with mashed potatoes and gravy if
they will eat it, but that should only be a supplement, Lee

I remember a time when not only cigarettes and alcohol were on the list
of things you couldn't buy with food stamps but also animal food. An
animal can be a real source of comfort for people who are poor and
or/lonely.

As you say, if necessary you can feed an animal leftovers for the short
term. Not ideal but better than having to surrender them. I found that
it was a good thing to always buy a bit of canned food every week to
keep away for lean times, ditto for the family too of course, lol.
Amazing what you can live on out of a pantry for a fairly extended time.

Old 20-12-2011, 11:55 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" wrote in message
type OOO i meant inadept, or unadept, lol, Lee

I liked your first go at it

"Storrmmee" wrote in message
whew!!! i am so mechanically adept it boggles most people, good you
got it done, Lee
"Julie Bove" wrote in message

"Storrmmee" wrote in message
i lived, lol, Lee

Well... I am surprised that I survived this day!

Some time ago we went into a new pet store in Edmonds and they had
these really nice cat scratching posts made of driftwood. Angela
wanted to get one for Ballerina and Jazzy but I didn't have the
money then. I kept putting it off. We were going to get one last
week while at my parent's house. They live in Edmonds but at the
other end of the city from this place. But then Angela was invited
to a Bunco party that night so we didn't have time to go there. I
said we would go there today. But then...

I decided to assemble the towel holder that I ordered some time ago.
I do not have a proper linen closet. The person that designed this
house during the remodel was nuts. I have these two weird cupboards
in my room that aren't very useful for much of anything. I just use
the lower one for greeting cards (I always keep a supply onhand for
those times when I need one quickly) and presents for upcoming
occasions. It's not big enough to hold all of the Christmas
presents this year. I didn't really get large gifts but they won't
all fit. It does hold the surprise ball. So picture if you will
something a little larger than a basketball. That's how stupidly
small the one cupboard is.

The cupboard above it will hold some linens but it isn't nearly big
enough for all our sheets, towels and extra blankets. Currently I
only have washcloths and hand towels in there. That's all that will
fit! The bath towels have been residing in a laundry basket and I
am sick of that. So I ordered a towel holder online. I waited and
waited, only to have my order cancelled. I then searched high and
low for another one. Seems they are not a common item. I found a
nice, super expensive one but couldn't afford it. Eventually found
another one that was only a little more than I had intended to pay
for the first one.

The problem? They didn't give me any screws or nuts in the package.
The thing is made in China and I can't even remember now who I
ordered it from. I didn't want to wait the weeks it would take to
find these people and try to get screws and nuts from them. So that
meant a trip to the hardware store as well. Would have been fine
but...

The only hardware store that was in Edmonds is no longer. According
to what I read online, their floor couldn't hold the weight and they
were evacuating after selling their stock at a 20% discount.

So that meant coming back out here. Either to Lowes in Mill Creek
or Ace in Everett. I opted for Ace because it is a much smaller
store with perhaps not better but quicker customer service and free
popcorn!

Took us twice as long as normal to get to the pet store because of
traffic. But we did get to pet a nice huge tabby. Found the exact
scratching post I wanted. I had a dream about it the other night.
Angela liked it too. Paid for it. Picked it up and then knocked
myself in the head with it. Saw some stars. Angela said she would
take it. She fared well until she got to the door where she whacked
it on the door frame. But it survived.

Started to drive back out this way. Traffic was just creeping!
Start and stop. Mainly stop. Our tummies began to rumble and my
foot began to cramp. I just kept thinking of the free popcorn. And
the bathroom. They have one in there.

Well by the time we got there they had cleaned the popcorn machine
out for the day. I should have demanded some because there is a
sign boasting of its freeness. They did have free coffee and water.

Used the bathroom then meandered around the screw aisle in a dither.
Angela actually found what were the correct screws but I couldn't
figure it out. Got a guy to help me. Turns out I would have needed
him anyway because he had to bag and label the items for me. Wasn't
able to use my $10 off coupon because I couldn't find anything else
that we needed. Had to spend $50 to get the discount. But I did
get my military discount. Angela was mad because she wanted food. I
said I would buy her something if they had it, but not candy. They
had a little bit of food that wasn't candy but she was either
allergic or not interested. They did have a can of asparagus soup
that was self heating. Also tomato soup. They were $3.00. I
didn't look to see if she was allergic but she immediately turned up
her nose so I didn't. But I was rather interested to see how they
heated up.

On to the grocery store for a few quick things then home for a quick
dinner. Then to assemble the towel holder.

This thing is made of metal and has decorative leaves in it. I
can't tell you how many times I klonked myself on the foot or the
head with this thing. Or how many times the leaves scraped my
fingers. I tried to assemble it in my computer chair. Then I
realized there was no way I could do that. It needed to be flat on
the floor. Or so I thought. There were three posts that went up the
back. I would put them in. Ballerina would take them out. Then
Jazzy became interested and she too wanted to "help" me. I finally
had to call for Angela. I disliked having to do this because she
isn't the most willing participant when it comes to helping assemble
things. But I realized it was humanly impossible to have assembled
this thing alone. Perhaps an octopus could have done it. But they
don't have fingers to grip the screwdriver.

But it's finally done and in the bathroom. Now I just have to
finish the laundry so I can put the towels in. It had gotten to
where I was washing towels pretty much on an as needed basis because
I didn't want to deal with them!

Christmas menu? Julie Bove[_2_] General Cooking 519 21-12-2014 12:46 AM
our christmas menu Storrmmee Barbecue 2 25-12-2011 09:55 AM
Got our Christmas menu Julie Bove[_2_] Diabetic 9 21-12-2010 09:04 AM
What is your Christmas morning menu? mom0f4boys General Cooking 60 26-12-2006 07:15 PM
Christmas menu... Omelet General Cooking 2 16-12-2006 12:08 AM